Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
So I didn't watch the longer clip but a question I have from the trailer...is Bobbie part of the Rocinante crew this season? I distinctly got that impression from her strapping in next to Alex at the end of season 3. But she was nowhere to be seen when the Roci was landing on New Terra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP

Nail Rat posted:

So I didn't watch the longer clip but a question I have from the trailer...is Bobbie part of the Rocinante crew this season? I distinctly got that impression from her strapping in next to Alex at the end of season 3. But she was nowhere to be seen when the Roci was landing on New Terra.

I am going to throw this behind spoilers in case someone doesn't want to know. Bobbie was not in book 4 at all so it looks like they are either creating new story lines, using the novellas, or moving stuff up from later books for her and some other characters who were also absent from book 4.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Nail Rat posted:

From what I remember of book 4, it's basically a giant bottle episode. A subset of the characters are in a specific place to do a specific something for the entire book, and the rest of the universe is pretty much ignored.

I'm sure they'll mix it up for the series since I doubt they want half the characters sidelined for a whole season.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Uterine Lineup posted:

I am going to throw this behind spoilers in case someone doesn't want to know. Bobbie was not in book 4 at all so it looks like they are either creating new story lines, using the novellas, or moving stuff up from later books for her and some other characters who were also absent from book 4.

They have cast Marco for this season.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

PriorMarcus posted:

Oh dear, are they starting the relevant story line this season already? Or is this going to be fluff?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

I hope it's like how they just invented stuff for Avasarala to do in book one because they wanted her on screen ASAP

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

There's also a lot of character building stuff that they wisely moved forward in the show. You don't really get to know the Roci crew all that well until the fifth book and they've already done a bunch of it for TV.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

PriorMarcus posted:

Probably wise, you can't stretch book 4 over an entire season. it's just not enough material

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Homelander makes a speech in front of the Roci in ep. 5 of The Boys.

Are there naughty supes in the Exapnse?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Collateral posted:

Homelander makes a speech in front of the Roci in ep. 5 of The Boys.

Are there naughty supes in the Exapnse?

A lot of The Boys takes place in front of MCRN headquarters, its Roy Thomson Hall in Toronto

Hell, even Johnny 5 got beaten up there:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUQMvlH39XA
check 1:56

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jul 27, 2019

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Yeah, they're called "Earthers" when they're in a Martian/Belter gravity environment.

Basically picture Amos in every physical confrontation he's had with a Martian/Belter thus far, but without anyone there to talk him down into self-restraint.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Apparently Amazon have just renewed for season 5 :dance:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mister Bates posted:

My favorite part about the Mormons in the Expanse, as a fourth-generation (ex-)Mormon myself, is that it's an extremely realistic representation of Mormon culture and is even pretty accurate to the history of the Church.

Like, do you know why Utah is Mormon country? It's because Brigham Young got a vision from God telling him to relocate there, so he told every single Mormon in the entire world (there were people coming to his call from as far away as Europe, in the loving 1840s when travel across the Atlantic was still a big deal) to pull up chains and move there, into what was still basically uncharted territory, in a foreign country that had not given them permission to come there, with no idea what they'd find there, no plan for what they'd do when they arrived, and hilariously inadequate supplies and transportation.

Those lucky enough to have them used wagons pulled by oxen, horses, or mules. Not everyone did, and thousands of people and their supplies were brought from the expedition launching point, Nauvoo in central Illinois, to their destination in what is now Utah using human muscle power. The people mostly walked, sometimes carrying heavy loads; most of the supplies were carried on big wooden handcarts, each weighing hundreds of pounds and pulled by 1-4 people per cart. The trail from Nauvoo to Salt Lake is 1,300 miles, some of it over very difficult terrain, and much of that trail didn't even exist until the Mormons blazed it. These were mostly not hardened frontiersmen, either; for most of them, this was the first time they'd been out in the wilderness. Over a thousand miles on foot, dragging all your worldly possessions behind you in a cart, with no idea where you're going, no real plan for what to do when you got there, and without even really knowing what was waiting for you at the end of the journey. Risking everything - your money, your belongings, your career, your life, the lives of your wives, your children, everything - all on faith. Trusting that it would work out, because God had called you to do this.

The vanguard of the expedition was walking through Salt Lake Valley when Brigham Young was just like 'this is the place' and declared that their destination, and they settled there. Hundreds of people died getting there, entire expeditions were lost, and it would take many years of work on lovely, marginal land before they were able to create a sustainable community, but they made it. Let's not talk about the Mexican government who had legal title over the land, or the indigenous nations the Mormons drove off, or the non-Mormon settlers they murdered later to prevent encroachment on their land claims, because the Church sure doesn't!

This story is a huge part of Mormon mythology and culture. We learn about the Pioneers from early childhood, sing hymns about them, have 'Pioneer Day' celebrations with everyone dressed up in period clothing and having all sorts of reenactment activities, make pilgrimages to Nauvoo and learn about the preparations for the journey. When I was in high school they even made all the kids from my ward spend a week out on a huge Church-owned ranch (the Church owns lots of land all over the US), dressed in period appropriate clothing, dragging handcarts around for miles and miles and camping in the rough, to teach us what it had been like. They even had a bit where they separated the boys and the girls and made the boys watch while the girls all struggled to pull the carts, in order to teach the kids about proper gender roles and the importance of male dominance in a family unit (really pretty gross in hindsight).

I can totally buy people who have spent generations being taught to idolize the Pioneers being willing to pull up stakes and charge off into the unknown, blatantly unprepared and using untested hardware, because God told them to. Some of them would certainly die and they'd be prepared for that. They might find harsh, barely-habitable wasteland, or airless rocks, or nothing at all, and they'd be prepared for that - the pioneers didn't come to an Eden, after all, they came to a barren desert valley with a lake of undrinkable brackish water. You don't find Eden, you build Eden.

The Nauvoo's colonists would certainly fail and die in space, and another ship full of more Mormons would certainly follow them, and another, and another, until one of them eventually made it.

Of course, they don't need to now, because of the rings.

I can actually see this being a huge boost to the Mormon faith, because the Nauvoo actually did lead them to a new world, just not in the way they thought it would. God moves in mysterious ways and all that.

Were you the one in my Oregon Trail LP talking about the Mountain Meadows Massacre?

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Apparently Amazon have just renewed for season 5 :dance:

Yup!!! https://twitter.com/AbrahamHanover/status/1155152256410374145

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

gently caress yes. That's a real promising hump to get over for adapting the entire series.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

:woop:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
New trailer for S4:

https://twitter.com/ExpanseOnPrime/status/1155158152079216645

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I wonder if they'll find a way to work Clarissa Mao into this season. Aside from Bobbie and Avasarala she's probably the most important character that gets sidelined in Cibola Burn.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

wait who's the dude at the end? As in the actor I mean.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burn_Gorman

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

double nine posted:

Burn Gorman. No, I don't know either.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Burn Gorman is super great. I loved him in The Man in the High Castle, and Turn: Washington's Spies.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

Burn Gorman is super great. I loved him in The Man in the High Castle, and Turn: Washington's Spies.

Yeah he's good.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Burn Gorman is like your go to guy for evil bastards.

I like how Chrisjen has started dressing like she's a a member of a noble house in Dune.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

twistedmentat posted:

Burn Gorman is like your go to guy for evil bastards.

I like how Chrisjen has started dressing like she's a a member of a noble house in Dune.

He was great in Torchwood, a ~rated TV-M~ Doctor Who spin-off!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Where he was introduced putting on a perfume that made everyone want to have sex with him.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I gave up on that show when their idea of being an adult show was making a cyberwoman and instead of being a full metal robot, she was just a woman with robot lingerie.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Burn Gorman is a bitch who couldn't even make my friend more smarter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BNjJutK_4A

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jul 27, 2019

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Baronjutter posted:

Burn Gorman is a bitch who couldn't even make my friend more smarter.

Yeah, I see much less evil bastard and much more stupid science bitch.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
S4 spoiler: hat spotted

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

double nine posted:

He's a fookin' legend in Gin Alley.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bezos REALLY wants to do that thing to that person.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Bezos is gonna cast himself in season 5, just you wait. it's the whole reason he picked up the show.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

aparmenideanmonad posted:

He's a fookin' legend in Gin Alley.

ohforfuckssake

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

uber_stoat posted:

Bezos is gonna cast himself in season 5, just you wait. it's the whole reason he picked up the show.

If we get seven seasons out of it I'm fine with an annual Bezos cameo.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

8one6 posted:

Season 5, Holden is recast as Bezos with a wig

wafflethief
Jun 2, 2013

8one6 posted:

Yup

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The people working in the Amazon fulfillment centers are basically Belters and I'm sure it's not lost on him. I'm certain there were dozens of deaths involved to make one day prime shipping a reality. One Day Prime is the Epstein drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
https://twitter.com/Breck_Eisner/status/1155264587018768387