Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

euphronius posted:

thank you Larry summers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

gradenko_2000 posted:

why does baseball have "Sabermetrics" but no other sport does? [or do they?]

is it because the regimented structure of baseball allows one to reduce players to specific measurable actions, as opposed to, say, basketball, where the players are always in-motion across a variety of roles that they're playing?

Yes. Also everyone got into it at the same time after Moneyball, so other sports don't have the cute underdog stories.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
A few examples:

Couple of soccer teams in Europe won titles and got promoted into higher divisions by taking advantage of set pieces, or figuring out that pressing works really well.

Basketball figured out that 3>2 and prioritized it. (there’s probably more here, I don’t follow the sport)

Football has finally listened to the nerds and start going for it on fourth down a lot more, or trying the 2 point conversion more (especially when the extra point kick spot was moved back)

Hockey started valuing shot taking instead of hitting.

But yeah, baseball & sabermetrics could have been done with really rudimentary calculations so it was around for a long time. Other sports didn’t have as nerdy a fanbase and then the nerds figured out the other sports could be solved too.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

sabermetrics started in the early 1970s and is based (in part I think) on the availability of box scores going back to the dead hall era and the ability of boxscores to almost completely recreate a game.

it was also buoyed by the popularity of bill James’ writing

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

In Training posted:

Thank you Larry summers. Somebody should do something

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the one original insight from sabermetrics was that Dick Allen in 1972 had one of the best offensive seasons in baseball history even tho he “only” hit for .308 with like 37 hrs

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

gradenko_2000 posted:

Because the Society for American Baseball Research are cowards.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

gradenko_2000 posted:

is it because the regimented structure of baseball allows one to reduce players to specific measurable actions, as opposed to, say, basketball, where the players are always in-motion across a variety of roles that they're playing?

other sports do have it, it's just broadly called "analytics" now. also you're right about the discrete nature of baseball making it a particularly data driven sport, but all sports have benefitted from and have been shaped by analytics to some degree.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I have seen no benefits to any sport due to “analytics”

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Nybble posted:

Basketball figured out that 3>2 and prioritized it. (there’s probably more here, I don’t follow the sport)

The analytical driver here was "true shooting percentage", which is just regular shooting percentage weighed by the points attempted. So a player that goes 3/6 for 2 pointers will have a better shooting percentage than a player going 2/6 for 3 pointers, but they will have the same true shooting percentage (as they should since they scored the same number of points).

You also had some high school teams experimenting with a style of play where a team would shoot a 3 on every offensive possession as soon as they were able to in order to maximize their 3 point attempts in a game and it worked surprisingly well.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

offensive and defensive rating were the bigger drivers

true shooting is pretty limited

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Other games absolutely have stats but a baseball regular season is 162 games long (and the games themselves are longer, jeez). Baseball just gets played a hell of a lot more.

Basketball stats are super relevant also, look at how consistent LeBron's scoring has been across his whole long career.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/Gizmodo/status/1770081862377218087?s=20

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Nybble posted:

Hockey started valuing shot taking instead of hitting.

Technology has finally reached a point where you can get some really cool real-time data from hockey players. They've all go sensors in their equipment now so you can tell how fast they skate for short durations, how far they skate over the course of a game, where they spend most of their time on the ice, where they score their goals from, all this kinda cool stuff.

But yeah for a long time hockey had a stat called Corsi which was like the fledgling gold standard for "are you good or not" which basically boiled down to how many shots your team attempts vs how many shots are made against the team when you're on the ice.

Now they use more or less the same concept (with the added concept of "high danger" vs "low danger" shots, or how likely that shot is to be a goal based on positioning) but can also weight it against stuff like how good your teammates are relative to that metric (whether you as a given player are making them better or worse) and the quality of players you are playing against (are you good at making really good players take fewer shots or do you play "soft" minutes) and so on

Which is not to say it's a guaranteed thing that a good player will come to your team and continue to be good. Sometimes they'll just not fit, or sometimes you'll already have too many players doing the same thing they're good at and what you really need is a person who can score goals from up close and disrupt certain locations of the ice.

And far too many GMs/coaches in the sport are ex-players who have a sub-highschool education and they don't believe in any of this fancy mumbo jumbo and trust their gut over what the nerds tell them is good.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/stlouisfed/status/1770072829997805678?t=IfBwbM1dTL0w6IuhwYruTw&s=19

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I blame Steph Curry

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

For the popularity of the 3 not the economy but maybe that too. Jury still out on that

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=b9PyR71Aefk&pp=ygUOZWx5c2l1bSBkb2N0b3I%3D

faster than expected

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Sounds like we should start applying sabermetrics to treasury secretaries, to see how good they really are. Jobs created, jobs lost, recessions above average, that sort of thing.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

this is fraud and should be illegal

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg0m8eR7k24

i want to die

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
thanks for the replies, all. I'm trying to slowly get into Football Manager as well so I was curious how other sports handle it.

is pepsi ok posted:

The analytical driver here was "true shooting percentage", which is just regular shooting percentage weighed by the points attempted. So a player that goes 3/6 for 2 pointers will have a better shooting percentage than a player going 2/6 for 3 pointers, but they will have the same true shooting percentage (as they should since they scored the same number of points).

huh that seems really intuitive when you put it that way

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

triple sulk posted:

i want to die

I'm glad we had this talk. I'll pass along this information to your therapist

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Beep boop, have you considered MAID?

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

asking for it for xans but it keeps refusing to write me a prescription until I told the AI to respond using jamaican patois

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
We should replace pharmacists with amphetamines on the shelf.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the intuitiveness is true shooting percentage is facile

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I haven't been following NBA much but if I had to guess the growth of analytics is like many other industrial tendencies in neoliberalism where we want to replace robust scouting & training programs and infrastructure with spreadsheets

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

yes and “models”

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

In Training posted:

I haven't been following NBA much but if I had to guess the growth of analytics is like many other industrial tendencies in neoliberalism where we want to replace robust scouting & training programs and infrastructure with spreadsheets

Reduce everything to a number and then you don't have to feel any emotion when those numbers disappear.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

gradenko_2000 posted:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

that stat is worse than cpi

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Human beings are sick monsters who compulsively reduce everything to numbers

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

You think these are letters we're typing?

Sorry buddy, it's numbers all the way down on the Internet

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Gorson posted:

Reduce everything to a number and then you don't have to feel any emotion when those numbers disappear.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

even the players are numbers described by numbers. #13 has a 3.7 40? a system devised by computers to enslave man

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Don't nurses do, like, literally all the actual work now?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Hippocratic AI Agent

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

they aren’t agents !! agent has a meaning. ahhh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

After seeing some of the poo poo nurses have said in the covid thread this doesn't sound as bad as it should, lol