Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President

Cythereal posted:

She's a Viking woman in this mod, for good and ill. She likes fighting, drinking, and flirting. Romance option, though Vorgen will need to raise his rep high enough that Shar-Teel's romance will no longer fire in order to meet Branwen's requirements.

Do it. I cannot abide the current situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Lord_Ventnor posted:

Do it. I cannot abide the current situation.

The third and final romance option for guys in BG1 is also coming up. Dynaheir.

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011

Cythereal posted:

I have just one question:

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Actually Dynaheir is out of our league. She doesn't go for chaotic scrubs (unless they're chaotic good) with lower than 10 wisdom.

imgur.com is acting up, I can't upload photos. It's delaying the update! :argh:

Vorgen fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Oct 18, 2011

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Cythereal posted:

NooooooOOOOOoooOOOOOOOO.

Well, at least it's not Imoen.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

YOUR FORMIDABLE MATE, SHAR-TEEL TURNS TO YOU.

loving hell. Whoever wrote this poo poo, it needs to be purged.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

I really hope we get to keep Shar-teel and Minsc for at least one whole update. I want to see how she reacts to this manly warrior man.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Tithin Melias posted:

YOUR FORMIDABLE MATE, SHAR-TEEL TURNS TO YOU.

loving hell. Whoever wrote this poo poo, it needs to be purged.

Ok, there's something I genuinely don't get. The "formidable mate" screen is probably part of the Flirtpack mod, isn't it? I haven't played BG for years, but I vaguely remember there used to be something like this. So, the easiest way to avoid it is to select "no more flirting" in the flirtpack, isn't it? Or, since the screen is the same every time, simply stop showing it to us?

I'm asking simply because it seems that a lot of people don't like this expression. Myself, I must have an odd sense of humour, because I continue to find it hilarious.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

meristem posted:

Or, since the screen is the same every time, simply stop showing it to us?

I'm asking simply because it seems that a lot of people don't like this expression.

Hey if I have to deal with it then you all have to deal with it too!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Nevermind. Dynaheir is not a romance option. You need a Wisdom of at least 10 to qualify for the romance, and our hero has a wisdom of 3. Our hero's Chaotic Neutral alignment also fails to meet criteria.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Oct 18, 2011

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Cythereal posted:

Nevermind. Dynaheir is not a romance option. You need a Wisdom of at least 10 to qualify for the romance, and our hero has a wisdom of 3. Our hero's Chaotic Neutral alignment also fails to meet criteria.

Vorgen could temporarily cheat to access the dialogue, then set it back after he's done talking to her.

But only if he wants to.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
For kicks, here are the overviews from the BG1 NPC Project (which is what added all the banters and whatnot, including romances and flirts, to BG1) of the romances:

Ajantis

Ajantis did not start his travels along the Sword Coast expecting to find the woman after his heart. For the right Player1 the romance will just happen, and Ajantis himself will be overwhelmed by the feelings he experiences. But as much as Ajantis is fascinated by Player1 that either shares his views or politely rejects them, he will stop romancing or even attack if evil actions are taken or Player1 insults his believes or his family. There are many different options in Ajantis’ talks, and Player1 does not always have to agree with Ajantis to continue to be his romantic interest. However, insulting his beliefs or family will end the romance. It is very important for Ajantis to see Player1 on the path of good and righteousness, so high reputation is a must for romancing this paladin; also if Player1 pursues the evil course of actions too often (even if the evil deed did not result in reputation loss) it will break the romance. Ajantis will have an inner conflict when the truth about the Player1’s Bhaal-heritage comes out. Only if this revelation comes after he already confessed his love, the bond between Player1 and him is strong enough for the romance to continue. This romance includes core love-talks, both sequential and reactive to events in the game, PC-initiated flirt-packs, and some NPC-initiated flirts. Ajantis’ Romance uses the Howard Shore’s “Minas Tirith” theme as the romance musical theme.

Branwen

Branwen’s Romance is, perhaps, what you would have expected it to be. A warrior priestess, strong and outspoken, craving physical love rather than romantic one, valuing strength, courage and honor in battle above all else. Do not doubt that Branwen is capable to battle and conquer her worries, and indeed pretty much anything, on her own. Yet, in her direct way, she'd share her thoughts with a comrade who'd earned her trust, awarding him the glimpses into her inner world, as well as her passion. Your character may be a light-hearted tease, a weatherworn warrior of a few words, or a wide-eyed boy – it is possible to complete the romance in all cases. But Tempus demands a lot from his followers, and Branwen is no exception... This romance includes core love-talks, both sequential and reactive to events in the game and flirt-packs, both PC and NPC-initiated. Branwen’s Romance uses the Hilary Rushmer’s recording of the ‘New Day A-Dawning’ as the romance musical theme.

Coran

Coran, oh, Seldarine, Coran. His romance is as complicated as they come, and probably qualifies as a gamer’s worst nightmare. If you simplify it, it boils down to three big decisions your Charname needs to make: firstly, to sleep or not to sleep with Coran and when; secondly, what to do about Brielbara and Namara; thirdly to have or not to have Safana in the party. On top of it, no matter what you do, there is randomness added to the romance. If he promised you to return riding an eagle’s back, he won’t. But he just might be waiting for you there when he goes back to seek Brielbara out. Or not. If you still take the mad woman who wrote this romance seriously, my advice is: coast him till he promises Charname the moon from the sky and convince him to abandon Namara. While not quite so sweet, the path without the child and eventual enlightenment of our womanizer, it has a more realistic feel to it. And, it can randomly have a happy ending. Or not. This romance includes core love-talks, both sequential and reactive to events in the game and flirt-packs, both PC and NPC-initiated. Coran’s Romance uses (Good path): Recercada Tercera by Diego Ortiz , (Baby Path): Dulce Memoria by Hernando de Cabezon , (Neutral/Bored Path): Danse Macabre by Camille Saint-Saens and Les beautéés du Diable by François Dompierre as the romance musical themes.

Dynaheir

Dynaheir’s Romance was written for a good (and preferably a lawful good) male PC. Three different ‘typecasts’ of PC are more or less maintained through the mod: a courteous paladin, a man who tries to do the right thing, and a guy who tries to be funny and distract Dynaheir from her too serious ways. There are also a number of class specific options for a bard, including bad verses he can compose for Dynaheir in a number of talks. Racial-specific options are present, if rarely for a Half-Orc and an Elf. One of the most important themes of this romance is Bhaal’s Heritage. Once PC has learned about it from Gorion’s letter, the romance enters a difficult sequence of dealing with love and betrayal. A word of advice: here it is most important to be smart and noble. A small surprise awaits a patient player who’d keep the relationship running till the very, very-very end of the game. This romance includes core love-talks, both sequential and reactive to events in the game and flirt-packs, both PC and NPC-initiated. Dynaheir’s Romance uses the Saint-Sense’s ‘Swan’ as the romance musical theme.

Shar-Teel

Shar-Teel’s Romance was written with a relatively evil male PC in mind. Three different ‘typecasts’ of PC are more or less maintained through the mod: a sarcastic edwinesque type, a harsh man, and a guy who tries to be reasonably kind. There are also a number of class-specific options for a bard. It is quite tongue-in-cheek, and PC will take a beating from his passionate lover, if he is not up to snuff. Shar-Teel prefers strong, charismatic males, so the stats that affect the romance the most are Constitution, Strength and Charisma. Shar-Teel is not a wimp, so offending her will make her lose interest or worse. But be careful of exhibiting too much sweetness (save it for Aerie)! She will not take mush lightly. Lots of her talks happen at rest, so sleep often if you are in a mood for more evil loving! This romance includes core love-talks, both sequential and reactive to events in the game and flirt-packs, both PC and NPC-initiated. Shar-Teel’s Romance uses the Icewind Dale 1 ‘Starting Song’ as the romance musical theme.

Xan

Well, it is Xan. Whining, moaning and complaints are abound in this romance. Still interested? Why? The world is doomed, there is no point in romance, you know. Especially in the one with Xan. Yes, it is unusual, sad and tender, but there are also nasty surprises, hysteria and a possible breakdown along the way. You won’t like it. Still interested? Very well then: play it, but remember, you have been warned! The romance was designed for an average player. You are able to be teasing or compassionate, interested or bored. Rude and straightforward, too, but then the romance will be finished in a blink: Xan is as scared of his feelings towards you as he is. The core of the romance consists of a goodly number of sequential love-talks. Some of them, especially in the mid-to-late stages of romance, happen at rest. Not only because of what you have just thought, either. Nasty surprises, remember? It is advised to complete the romance before Chapter 6 (and yes, it reminds me of Shadows of Amn, as well), or, at least, wait until your relationship progresses into the more serious stage. Tip: look at the contents at the flirtpack. Once it changes - voila! - you have done it. Or not. Nasty surpri… ah, it was mentioned already. There is Chapters 6 and 7-specific content, so your PC will not feel abandoned. This romance includes core love-talks, both sequential and reactive to events in the game and flirt-packs, both PC and NPC-initiated. Xan’s Romance uses the "Walk home" by Thomas Newman as the romance musical theme.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Stumiester posted:

How do you change NPC classes to custom kits? They don't show up in ShadowKeeper.

It's a little convoluted to change NPC classes to custom kits. Since Shadowkeeper doesn't have the information on all the custom classes, what you have to do is start a new game and create a new character with the custom kit you want, then save that game. Then, open that game in Shadowkeeper and look at the kit value. Open up your saved game with the NPC whose kit you want to change and then paste the kit value from the first game to the second game. Finally, follow this guide to make sure you change classes correctly.

Stumiester posted:

Is it possible to add mods once you've started the game, without messing up saves? I'm missing Finch and Rose in my game (not that I would use Rose, but...)?

If you've installed the BiG World Project it is very risky to add mods after the installation is finished. You may break the game. you can add mods that modify places you haven't been to and things you haven't seen yet. But there's no guarantee that you can modify places you've been to already. In Finch's case, if you have already been to the Red Sheaf and killed the assassin who attacks you there, you may not be able to get Finch in your party because that is how she joins it.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
For all I didn't care for BiG World myself, I gotta say with stuff like the Mutamin fight you do a great job showing what makes the game as a whole absolutely fantastic. Really tough, close tactical RPG fights like that are really awesome IMO, and if Mutamin got buffed that much then Mulahey and Davaeorn must be INSANE. :)

The only amendment I'd add myself is hacking in vanilla BG1 summons and removing the summon cap like the component in the D0Tweaks pack. There is nothing, NOTHING better than drowning your enemies in chaff. Brings a little RTS to the RPG.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

22 Kythorn, 1369

... death. I am having morbid thoughts today. What with all the talk of the demons in the mines and everybody else being depressed at having no jobs.

I think it's best for us to part now, but we may travel together again soon enough. Please, wait for me at the Burning Wizard Inn.

Gotcha. Be sure to get back soon anyway! Don't wanna rot in the same place for too long. See ya!

Gameplay note: She doesn't have the option for the Jovial Juggler for some reason.

This new Minsc guy is wielding a two-handed sword and wearing nothing but leather armor. When I start looking through my inventory for something better to put on him, I take a closer look at the Bread and Jam that the Svirfneblin gave us.

Viconia is going to need to eat this pretty soon. She always gets fatigued before everyone else.

I stop by the Nashkel store, but a plate mail costs 1800 gold, and we only have about 1000. It looks like Shar-Teel is going to have to give this guy her old chainmail. Also, since he's a ranger he can dual-wield no problem. I still have those +2 daggers that I got from Rhialto. Maybe he can tear some gnolls up with those? But Shar-Teel interrupts my inventory musing.

*growls* What?!

Sometimes I could just slap that woman. I end up outfitting Minsc with chainmail and two Daggers +2. Reminds me of Bub. Then, in order to get to know the town better, we go to the Inn.

Maybe those coins won't be so easily won!

I would first know my attacker! Why are you doing this?

Who I am is unimportant, though my name is Neira. What I am, is a hunter of bounties, and on your head is a lovely little sum. Does this satisfy your request? I thought it wouldn't. No matter.

Imoen opens with Magic Missile. Viconia begins casting a Command, and Minsc and Shar-Teel run straight at Neira. She is also casting a spell - looks like she's a cleric.

But the fight is over before it's begun, courtesy of Shar-Teel.

Imoen seems shaken by the whole affair.

Another assassin. This is the sixth. I met with two before leaving Candlekeep. One right after leaving Candlekeep. And that mage on the doorstep of the Friendly Arm Inn... And the dwarf in the 'Red Sheaf'.

You mean, even inside the walls of Candlekeep you were attacked!? Why didn't ya tell me this before you left?

I didn't want to worry you and have you tag along with me, like you're doing right now.

Heh, yup. I'm stuck to ya like brick and mortar! Well, 'nough chattin' here, let's go get a room so that I can get a nice warm bath.

I go to pick up what Neira obviously doesn't need anymore. Gavin seems very agitated by the whole affair.

That's a good point. I think the only option we have in that case would be to kill them all and loot their corpses. Better get started now. Neira has a chainmail +1! Magical armor! What will they think of next?

Her helmet also creates an interesting story for her.

I can imagine her tirelessly trekking up and down the sword coast, never resting, never relaxing, always searching for us. I like to think most of the times I was in an Inn while it was raining she was trudging in the mud. And now she's dead. So sad. I give her equipment to Minsc.

Gameplay note: Together the Chainmail +1 and the Helm of Resilience bring his AC to 1, which is already one point better than Shar-Teel's. Just to see, I have him try on Shar-Teel's platemail and Ring of Protection. His AC drops to -1. He's simply a better tank than she is, because his DEX is 16 while hers is 14.

It looks pretty good on him.

I also take a closer look at his hamster.

Finally, I look at the bounty notice. I'm up to 680 gold. That's not too bad. Not as much as I got for killing Mutamin, though. I killed him, I should be worth more than him! Who do I have to notify about this?

We sleep until morning, then go out to explore the rest of this small town. It's really only a dirt track with a few buildings next to it. It doesn't have the bustling, criss-crossing streets of Beregost. And when Imoen breaks into a house, a mother and child are there, so no loot is available.

We find a flower-lined path that goes north, so we follow it. Suddenly a boy bursts from the bushes and screams at us.

He is quickly followed by a... baby wyvern?

Gavin and I are quick to take care of this one.

Then the kid just runs off. At the end of this flowered walk is Manor House. Imoen gets very excited.

Viconia decides to make a comment.

I pity you for your short lifespan.

It is unclear who exactly she was talking to. Perhaps all of us? When I turn my attention back to Imoen, she is gone.

She walks around the house, nicking a book here some coins there. She's not perfect, though, so the Nobleman sees her.

She does all that she can for him to not see her again by going upstairs.

She rifles around everyone's things upstairs, and comes across a few more gold and some books. Someone sees her and calls the guards, but she just casts Invisibilty and goes on about he business. She's done in a few minutes, and we continue exploring the town. There is a very large mausoleum like thing on the right side of the Temple of Helm.

We continue to explore around the town, and eventually make our way back to the inn/store area. When we walk up, it looks like we're in trouble.

Erm... yes! That's him!

Soldier! Arrest this person!

You, wait! You are accused of threatening the son of Lord and Lady von Undenzieht with your weapons and killing his little pet animal. Do you confess?

No, I do not. I saved that boy from an attacking baby wyvern.

That is nonsense! You threatened my son!

I swear I killed a baby wyvern that was chasing your son.

What... what is this person talking about?

Ask your son. A baby wyvern chased him.

What is this talk about a baby wyvern! You are accused of threatening young Lord von Undenzieht and killing his pet grass snake!

His pet "grass snake?" I repeat: it was a baby wyvern that was chasing him!

Ooh...

Why does there have to be so much talking? Arrest this person!

Under the circumstances I have to give him the right to explain himself. I am beginning to feel annoyed though!

Arrest this person! Our son nearly got killed!

And the little grass snake! That egg cost 500 gp with an exclusive delivery from Waterdeep! I want compensation for the costs!

"Grass snake?" Arnim, don't you think it's time to tell your parents the truth?

How dare you talk to my son?! Soldier, I *demand* that you arrest this person right now!

Did you never wonder about the size and shape of that egg?

What do you know about the egg?!

Nothing, but I saw the "pet" that was inside, and it definitely wasn't a grass snake, but a baby wyvern.

Stop talking about a wyvern! Well, that egg *did* look kind of... big... But the animal dealer said it was a special breed...

Arnim?!

I... I...

Papa, Mama, I am really sorry! It is true! It was a baby wyvern that came out of that egg! I was so frightened! It tried to eat me!

Arnim! Poor baby! Why didn't you tell us?

Because he knew he would feel my beating, that is why! So you lost your pet animal, and you accused innocent... well, maybe not innocent, but anyway, a stranger of it! Boy, you wait until we get home!

Dearest, please! He is innocent!

*cough* As is the person you accused of threateniing your son. Am I right that the complaint will be withdrawn?

What? Yes, yes, of course.

Would you like to say some last words to the savior of your son?

We are thankful, dear stranger...

No, we are not! You killed an exotic animal worth 1000 gp that was in my possession! Better leave quickly and never return!

*Lord* von Undenzieht! Be careful with your manner of speech! Syvishtar, our apologies for the false accusations. We thank you for the courage you displayed by saving a chld of our city.

I am glad it is all sorted then.

There is only one more thing. Lord von Undenzieht, I arrest you under the charge of possessing dangerous exotic animals inside the city area! Come with me now!

What? This.. this is... I am Lord von Undenzieht! I protest! Take your hands off me, you *idiots*!

That was unpleasant. Nice to see an uppity lord getting hauled away though.

*Shar-Teel bits off a broken fingernail and spits it on the ground. It seems that it was purely accidental that she looked your way while er... grooming herself.*

Down by the river is the Belching Dragon Tavern.

Partly out of curiosity, partly out of obligation, we go in. Our attention is quickly drawn to the loudest voice in the room, Lake Poet Rob.

That depends. Exactly what sort of services can you offer?

Have you ever been drawn to tales of darkly cunning genius, of intimidating figures with a shadowed past, or of fearsome beings who stride across the land, amid a shroud of mystery? *That* my friends, is my offer. I am pleased to say that I can paint your accomplishments in more sinister colors. You would be revered, yes, but your power would be better respected.

Are you sure about this? We don't want people afraid to talk to us. Besides, if they stand too far away, it's harder to sneak up on them.

True heroes like Minsc and Boo need not the words of puny bards to sing their praises! Syvishtar, pay him no heed. Boo fears he offers only empty promises.

And why should we not be feared? Pay the bard, Syvishtar, and let him pave the road to our triumph!

That's right! People should fear us! We are no weaklings, to hide behind pretty tales of worthless "virtue."

Surely, a client as worldly as yourself can recognize the potential of this offer. What say you? Shall I spin your gold to words?

I have heard this before from those who sell similar services. What can you do for me that is better?

Why, my young friend, I would not wish to malign my associates by comparison. Suffice it to say that I am at your immediate disposal, while others are at an inconvenient distance. Surely, you realize the value of expedience. Would you care to seize the opportunity before it passes by?

Not today, thanks.

Well, if you change your mind, I am performing here regularly.

Gameplay note: Now, several weeks later, we have a much firmer grasp on what reputation affects. Most importantly, it affects our romance with Shar-Teel. If we get above 9 rep then she will begin to ignore us. Also, Ajantis left us permanently because our rep was too low. We can raise reputation by donating to temples, but I just haven't done that yet because we never have any extra money. If we got to be too high in reputation and wanted it lowered, we could talk to these Lake Poets and not have to slaughter children in the street in order to lower our rep. But we're currently going for higher rep, so it's not really important right now.

Imoen goes around the bar as always, quickly making friends.

Yeesh. Depressing lot these are. One guy though, one guy is almost insufferably cheery.

The tale of the guard sounds interesting. Please, do tell.

I hear that Commander Brage, of the Amnish guard, has been missing for some weeks now following a strange alteration in his behavior. Where once he was a well thought-of family man, he has turned to senseless mayhem, effecting a rampage the likes of which I have never heard. His fellow soldiers noted nothing out of sorts that could trigger such a transformation, but one notable item seems relevant. If not for the iron shortage it would have gone unnoticed but, prior to his mad rage, the commander procured a new sword. The importance of this information, I have no way of verifying.

Would you consent to another tale? I also have an interest in the mines.

Just let me finish my drink, and then we can carry on through the wee hours with our tales.

Then the guy ends the conversation, and finishes his drink. I think I'm a little offended.

If you would relate what troubles have been plaguging the mines I would appreciate it.

The word is, that all across the expansive Sword Coast, from the Cloudpeaks to Baldur's Gate, an ore shortage is severely crippling local trade. Bandits, purportedly both human AND demihuman, raid caravans, whilst ore reaching its destination becomes brittle and useless following smelting, strangely afflicted by an odd, iron-weakening plague. As though this were not cause for alarm in itself, production at the mine outside of Nashkel has fallen, with the substantially lower yields being blamed on nervous workers. Mysterious disappearances of several miners have set the whole area on edge, where something must shift the balance to one side, or the other.

I have heard as much from common rumors about the street outside. Your tale is but a long-winded version.

There is no cause to be rude, it would be good for you to leave.

Hey buddy, you were rude first! There's nothing else to do in this pissant tavern, so we go outside. We hear someone saying something about taking care of children.

Gameplay note: This is supposed to be a quest in which you literally watch over those children right there for an hour or so, giving them their bottle and blankies and perhaps even candy. But the lady isn't even considering us as candidates for it. We must look too surly I guess?

Well, that's pretty much the whole town. There's a bridge across the river to the west, but that just goes to farmland and that's boring.

What's much more exciting is the Nashkel Carnival to the east!

We arrive and go exploring. In front of an empty set of bleachers, a lone performer belts out lines from some play.

There are also rumors here among the performers.

Next to the performers is what looks to be a wizard. I approach him to see what he is about.

Then he, uh, summons an ogre and it explodes. Wow. Straightforward. I need to see it again.

Dear gods, not again. It was dreadful enough the first time.

Hush... Now, Oompah...

Ha! Ok, this is my kinda carnival! But despite the cheer, there are still some sad visitors.

We walk around by the tents and wagons, seeing what there is to see. A man makes a comment as we pass by.

Where is everyone?

Down in the mines or dead... A combination of the two, more often than not... I'm sorry, you folks are here to enjoy the carnival. Don't let me go telling my depressing tales.

The mines interest us more than the carnival, to be honest. We'd like to figure out what's wrong if we can.

What's right? That place has been claiming lives hand over fist but where else can we find work? It's either death by the demons or death by the dinner plate, and us Nashkel folk aren't the type to let our families starve. I'd register with the garrison but with this bum leg, I ain't no good at fighting. Just pushin' the ore barrow, that's all.

We keep wandering around, not really looking too closely at anything, just trying to get a feel for the place. We are interrupted by a brightly glowing gentleman.

My name's Syvishtar, what's yours?

Mon namen est Syvishtar, vott iss yorse?

Ho, you'll not get away with that for long!

Ho, ye'll not git away wit' dat fer long!

Okay, now that's enough!

Hokey-dokey, like dat's enuff now, eh?

What a fahbulous carnival, dahling...

What a fahbulous carnival, dahling!

Are you mocking me?

Dost thou mockest me? Away with you, beggar!

Now that guy was a loving weirdo. What was he doing repeating everything I said? Forget him. We finish our first tour of the carnival and realize that it's actually pretty small.

Time to go see whats in all the tents, west side first!

Oh. Pickpockets are in the tents. Damnit! He took 100 gold!

At least from us! *giggle*

Oh... well... you see, I *am* a "pickpocket extraordinaire" and... oh dear... would you please let go of my arm?

IT'S NOT NICE TO STEAL!

But how am I supposed to make a living? (By Mask, my arm really hurts!) *whimper*

Ahh, Minsc feels his blood begin to boil. His head begin to swirl. His fury begins to rise. Oh, yes, a most powerful berserker rage engulfs Minsc! AND THEN HE'LL CUT YOU DOWN LIKE A WEED, YOU LITTLE PURSE-CUTTER!!!

*gulp* Mask, have mercy on me! I... I... I see the light! I do, I swear! I'll never steal again in my life! Here take it back! Take it *all* back!

Now please let me go! Pleeaaaseee!

Go then, but remember, Boo will tell Minsc if you try something like this again. And Minsc shall come after you!

Yes, sir! I swear, sir!... Goodbye, sir!

Wow, I've got to say that was goddamned satisfying. Those thieves think they're too cool for the law with their hoods and their pickpocketing and their potions of Master Thievery... Nice to see a good old threat of berserker rage take one down a peg.

We keep looking around and talking to people. We talk to the wrong person.

We finally find the right person to talk to and realize what's goin on in here. Gambling! Roulette, to be exact.

No thanks.

I've never been good at gambling. The other big tent is the same thing - booring. I wonder what's in the little tents. Ahh, yes, of course. A hostage situation.

What's this all about?

She's a witch. She'll use her magics to poison the children of this town. She'll butcher the livestock and she'll seduce the young men, make them her puppets. She must be killed!

What are you talking about? Why the prejudice against a magic user? You said it yourself that you're a mage. After all, aren't you going ot kill her with your "magic word?" Get a hold of yourself, you idiot.

Are you mocking me! No one mocks the great Zordral. You will pay for your insolence!

And then he attacks. Wizards, why are we all the same? I could read him like a book.

And he is just not prepared for the pain we bring. When he falls, we turn to the woman he was going to kill.

Do you have any magic trinkets you might be able to give us?

Why yes I do. Here, take this. It might come in useful in times of need. It's a potion that cures all poisons.

Yes, she did indeed give us an antidote. On the corpse of Zordral I find scrolls of Armor, Color Spray, a few gold coins, and a Knave's Robe.

Huh. Protection against poison. I'm not sure I need that now but perhaps later, when we go up against spiders like that devilspider from the cave behind the Song of the Morning Temple.

I am still curious about the other tents, but a little nervous going in there. We all go in together.

A titan's might, hmm? I'm not really interested. I only have enough money for one potion.

No? Such a grand gift as this and you would refuse? Please confirm that I have not offended you by at least accepting the red elixir. Steal it from under my own eyes for 40 gold.

I don't think I'll risk either of your "gifts" today.

You insult me by refusing my hospitality; I have done with you. Leave, and darken my humble tent no longer with your sour presence.

Remember that guy who got turned into a pile of jelly in his own house? He was into cheap potions too. I'm not going to fall for that trick!

*with a grim scowl* Lover-boy.

In this circle of stalls, we have two merchants. The one to the west sells masterwork weapons for 1500 gold a pop, and the one to the east sells reasonably-priced potions of all types. If we weren't broke we could probably buy some of them. And also to the north is some blond chick. I wonder what she's selling...

Can I help you in any way?

Sure, you could give me 1000 gp or so. Haha! Little joke, sorry. But I *do* need money. Do you have a job for me? I mean a decent one. Don't you even think about offering me something else! I am a lady of good honor, after all. I mean something like... like... buy you something... cook you a meal... wash your clothes - I mean your spare ones, not the ones you are wearing right now! Don't you even think about taking them off! Or watch your children... You don't have children, by any chance, no?

You are standing in a carnival, seeking a job?

Erm, haha. No, of course not. You wouldn't by any chance lend me some money, no?

Lending you money? And what do I get as a deposit?

Deposit? How about... my... my scarf? Erm, maybe my necklace? Look, it's nice, very nice, isn't it?

OK, I'll take your scarf. How much money do you need?

Oh, just what you want to spare... I don't need it for long.

How about 5 gp?

Yes, that would be great! I just got gold! Hey, I got some go-old!

Ha! Did you see her face? I won. Here you go, your gold back. Thank you for lending it to me!

What was that? You barely held it in your hands!

I didn't need it longer. I bet with my friend, who is standing over *there*, that a complete stranger would give me money. We bet 2 gp that I would succeed. Now it's mine! It's mine!

Hey, last time we bet she won, so it's only fair. This is a carnival, right? So enjoy yourself!

The other tents have legitimate merchants in them. One sells decent magical equipment and Scrolls of Protection - hard to find. One sells simple, everyday swords and maces and other weapons. And the third sells magical bows, arrows, and the extremely tempting Quiver of Plenty.

Unfortunately, it costs as much as as new set of platemail.

There is one more tent, set so far away from the rest of the carnival that we actually missed it the first time. There isn't much in it but sleeping people.

Oh. Tripping people. Little different. Inexplicably, this reminds me of my familiar, and I let her out of my backpack to rejoin us as a party. She is quite useful when it's not basilisks we go up against.

There is actually a lot of unused space behind the carnival. I wonder what's out there? We go take a look around. Fortunately, the whole place is clear. I was a little worried that bandits might be waiting in the woods to kill unsuspecting farmers, but it looks like it's all just empty space!

There is one more thing that I wanted to check out, though...

Perhaps we should. Though such mercy is... infrequent from me, petrification is a terrible fate.

A bargain at 500 gold!

Sure, give us the scroll.

You won't regret this! Here's the scroll, and I wish you well. Bye now.

We use the scroll on the statue, and...

We're always on the lookout for another warrior.

I am glad to be part of your war party. I will not make you regret your decision. A word of caution though: beware of the dog that entrapped me in stone. Tranzig he called himself. He was in the employ of a mercenary group, but I do not know the name. I shall see him dead before I see the shores of home again!

Gameplay note: And we have yet another potential party member! Let's take a look at her:

She literally has 5 more xp than Viconia, which makes her also a level 4 cleric! She is a Battleguard of Tempus, conforming to the Divine Remix mod.

She also has different spells from both Gavin and Viconia. At level 1 she has both Faerie Fire and Sunscorch, the same way Gavin does. Viconia doesn't have those spells. At level 2, she has the protection spells that Viconia has, plus Draw Upon Holy Might, Find Traps, and a spell we have not seen before - Charm Person or Animal.

It is also important to note that Branwen is our other romance possibility - as long as our reputation is 10 or more she will be into us. If our rep is 9 or less Shar-Teel will be into us. The two girls gain and lose interest at the same cutoff point, so they will never be jealous of each other.

*growls* If you want to get some tonight, you'd better find us a tough fight. I need my blood high to suffer you again!

Gameplay note: So, dear voices in our heads, what should we do with Branwen? Replace someone with her or send her on her way?

A: Replace Shar-Teel. Branwen is more of a warrior woman than Shar-Teel will ever be.
B: Replace Minsc. Women are better than men when it comes to escorting Syvishtar around. Also, screw Dynaheir she can rot in the Gnoll Stronghold forever.
C: Replace Viconia. Branwen has more spells. 'Nuff said.
D: Replace Gavin. Branwen has more spells, levels, boobs, and zest for life. 'Nuff said.
E: Replace Imoen. Imoen could still use that vacation.
F: Replace nobody. What kind of scrub chick gets petrified and left for dead? Kick her to the curb.

Vorgen fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Oct 21, 2011

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

E, Just to be different.

milhouse14
Sep 20, 2011
D

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
A.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
D

Shar-Teel's finally pulling her weight as a tank, but I tire of her 'romance'.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
For fucks sake, get rid of A. Shar-teel

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

A, A, a thousand times because I swear you're just throwing that screen in all the time to gently caress with us now.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

E: Replace Imoen

I know people like Imoen but come on... everyone always plays with Imoen. She's the canonical sidekick. We've all seen her a bazillion of times before.

markus_cz fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Oct 18, 2011

Tag Plastic
Jun 10, 2006

Not organic.
C Viconia will be there to pick up (hurr) later, I assume.

Pollyzoid
Nov 2, 2010

GRUUAGH you say?
A, I want to see how Branwen fares compared to her.

Since imgur seems to be having some trouble lately, have you considered using LPix instead?

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

A it was fun at first but now that romance is getting really annoying, so let's move on to the new and upgraded model! Plus maintaining the Shar-Teel romance would limit us and force us to be below 9 reputation, and forget that.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
A, it's time to see how she fairs compared to Shar-Teel. D, because everyone below me has a point. We have way too many clerics.

God, that's the second time I've changed my vote.

GenderSelectScreen fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Oct 19, 2011

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

A. I'm very tired of your "formidable mate."

Verklemptomaniac
Apr 23, 2008
A: Replace Shar-Teel

We're going for higher rep, so we'll have to cut off the Shar-Teel romance at some point. Might as well make it earlier than later, and Minsc can do everything she can do, but better.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
D. Gavin had a child out of wedlock that wasn't his. Apparently this constitutes grounds for dismissal, and three clerics is excessive.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
D. Shar-teel is finally doing work, and Gavin is consistently meh.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I wanted to ditch Gavin last time and my opinion hasn't changed. D.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.
D. Let's compare Branwen to a different cleric.

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe
A for christ's sake.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

How many clerics can you possibly need? Half the party is kind of excessive, so D.

Sarahsuke
Mar 27, 2010
C. Removing Viconia should restore the reputation we lost when she joined (as far as I know), which would help bring us closer to losing Shar-Teel's romantic interest. Also, three clerics in one party is too much.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

A Anything, literally anything, to get rid or the *GROWLING BEDMATE*.

Anal Papist
Jun 2, 2011

D I wasn't going to vote, but all the posters that are petrified of being bent over the nearest gnome by a strong warrior women have changed my mind.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
D I don't mind Gavin, but too many clerics spoil the soup.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

D - Gavin's back story is depressing and I want to see what happens when Shar-Teel gets pissed at our reputation. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

D Three clerics is too many so ditch the least interesting one.

• Locked thread