Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

LODGE NORTH posted:

For all intents and purposes, I have a Mac (it's a Hackintosh) but I want to get a capture card solely to see my Switch on my computer while I'm using it (I want it as a window within macOS) for a slew of different reasons. Is there a best one I can use? If anyone knows, with a Hackintosh, do I have more variety in what to buy?

okay so as a veteran user of the firmware here's the thing about hackintosh:

"options" only exist insofar as your options exist for operating systems. partitions, separate hds, whatever. if you're only running mac os, then your hardware and software options are also strictly limited to mac os. buy a 500gb ssd and install windows 10, and read the instructions on how to install the utilty that lets you select your boot disk at startup (chameleon i think?), and your options have suddenly extended to the entirety of the windows library, provided you booted to your windows HD. install linux, you can use anything that works with that.

the power of hackintosh is all about building a universally compatible computer without having to spend a loving mint on apple's overpriced planned-obsolesence garbage hardware. but if you aren't taking advantage of that compatibility by installing a fuckton of assorted OSes on a bunch of different hard drives, then all you have is a legally grey mac built on the cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

I beat Shovel of Hope, man this was so much fun. I guess the Plague of Shadows is next. Is the Showdown game part of the storyline or is it just a local multiplayer fighting game? I saw it had a story mode but wasn't sure when I should jump into that.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Black Griffon posted:

my switch bud said was that he wished he'd started on master mode

Your friend hates you, sorry.

And the expansion pass has been on sale for 30% off in the past, so it is possible. It integrates fairly seamlessly into the main game and a lot of the content is late game anyway so just fuckin play BotW dude why are you waiting on one of the best games of all time, and you can wait a few days to see if the expansion goes on sale

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Social Animal posted:

I beat Shovel of Hope, man this was so much fun. I guess the Plague of Shadows is next. Is the Showdown game part of the storyline or is it just a local multiplayer fighting game? I saw it had a story mode but wasn't sure when I should jump into that.

Plague of Shadows is next yes. Its levels are the least changed from Shovel and the mechanics feel a bit at odds with them at points, whereas King and Spectre have wildly different levels. The story is pretty great though!

Showdown has a story for each of the characters I think but it’s a fighting game story so dialogue between matches.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Nintendo seems to have constant adverts for Ring Fit on TV at the moment.

Seems like a waste of money at this point.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

What are some good turn-based RPGs and or Tactics games for the Switch? I want something a little more casual than Path of Exile and DOTA lately. Not big on Fire Emblem or any other games with a heavier emphasis on dialog. gently caress plot :colbert:

Huge fan of the Disgaea series, but I already played 5 to death on my PS4.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

They’ve been hoping to recapture the wii fit magic for a long time with ring fit, it took a pandemic to get there.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Sab669 posted:

What are some good turn-based RPGs and or Tactics games for the Switch? I want something a little more casual than Path of Exile and DOTA lately. Not big on Fire Emblem or any other games with a heavier emphasis on dialog. gently caress plot :colbert:

I picked up Knights of Pen and Paper on sale and it’s a straight-down-the-middle old school RPG. I think it’s a mobile port so it’s not really a looker but it’s a good time killer so far

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Sab669 posted:

For tactics games, Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark might be up your alley. It was heavily influenced by Final Fantasy Tactics.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sab669 posted:

Sounds like you want SaGa: Scarlet Grace.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Hey is Gamefly worth it for switch games? How long does it take from requesting to actually getting a game?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Sab669 posted:

Into the Breach is probably the best turn-based strategy game on the console. It plays a bit differently, since you know what the enemy is going to do and it's your job to stop them, but it has A LOT of strategy and variability per each run, considering the different mechs and pilots you can have.

I think the Dark Crystal game was received mildly but it's definitely Tactics-like.

I suppose you could skip all the dialog in Three Houses, but people say it's not a particularly hard game.

I don't think there are any Strategy games on the NES/SNES apps, though I remember hearing Japan got Famicom Wars or something?

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Would I like Three Houses if I've only played (and enjoyed) the FE for GameCube?

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

anatomi posted:

Would I like Three Houses if I've only played (and enjoyed) the FE for GameCube?

Yes mostly

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

anatomi posted:

its somewhat close to that tonally and the gameplay's a lot closer to it than the 3ds games are (what with no pairup) so the only real fly in the ointment would be if you enjoy the student management stuff or not, but i feel like you've got a decent shot at enjoying it yeah

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

The teacher stuff made me bounce off of it, and I loved the previous games, sanning revelation.

So maybe rent it if you can

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Hey is Gamefly worth it for switch games? How long does it take from requesting to actually getting a game?

I only used Gamefly when they offered free 1-month trials. During those times it usually took 4-5 days for a game to arrive, and then once I was done and put it in the mail it would take another 4-5 days for them to receive it and get another game on my list out to me. I figured 2, maybe 3 games per month if you're playing quickly. That may differ for other areas though. Also, newer games were almost never available.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It should be noted it’s not really teaching it’s more like would you like to min max your guys.

If you don’t you can automate it and it does well enough

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

BisterdDave posted:

I only used Gamefly when they offered free 1-month trials. During those times it usually took 4-5 days for a game to arrive, and then once I was done and put it in the mail it would take another 4-5 days for them to receive it and get another game on my list out to me. I figured 2, maybe 3 games per month if you're playing quickly. That may differ for other areas though. Also, newer games were almost never available.

Maybe they have different standards for trial memberships. When I used it 3-4 years ago they would send out the new game the day after I mailed the old one back thanks to tracking notifications. I could always guarantee a new release by putting the release at the top of my list and putting the old game in the mail on Monday.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

stev posted:

Nintendo seems to have constant adverts for Ring Fit on TV at the moment.

Seems like a waste of money at this point.

Anything running at the moment will have been booked in weeks in advance, there's still ads running on the radio for Jet2 holidays that go 'Why not get away for two weeks in Malta' when no-one planning would have thought the answer would be 'Because you'll be locked in your hotel room under quarantine'.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Thanks, folks. I'll see if I can rent/borrow it first.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Wait you can automate it?

That might make me come back because I didn't jive with teaching at all

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yeah you can automate most of it, leaving the only part you have to interact with being the exploration bits at the monastery.

Instruction can be completely automated and students will ask you what they should work towards and there are basically no bad choices when they do for that particular character.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Found some old coupons and saw that new normal Switches won't be available for weeks in my country, so I just went gently caress it and ordered a nice, discounted Switch Lite for my quarantine needs. I definitely want to play BOTW, which other games should I get immediately?

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

The BioShock and Borderlands games are going to be sold individually as well as bundled.

I'll probably just get Borderlands 2 again. It's tough going back to the busted map system of the first game. I never played the Pre-sequel, either.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Wengy posted:

I definitely want to play BOTW, which other games should I get immediately?

Something to contrast with BotW and the hours you'll be sinking into it, so something better suited to playing and enjoying in short bursts when you don't have time for a longer session. I bought Odyssey, BotW and Mario Kart as my first three games and they served me well for a good amount of time. Odyssey is well suited for quick sessions (or marathons too) and Mario Kart is Mario Kart, although depending on whether you want to play online or not it might not make sense for you because you'll never be playing it locally on a TV.

Some indie titles could help break things up too. Into the Breach is a great strategy game, Stardew Valley is just a lovely farming sim, Hollow Knight is the best Metroidvania on the console etc. But at this point there's hundreds of excellent games so it depends what your taste is.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Waffle! posted:

The BioShock and Borderlands games are going to be sold individually as well as bundled.

I'll probably just get Borderlands 2 again. It's tough going back to the busted map system of the first game. I never played the Pre-sequel, either.

But the first one was the only one where you could find neat guns without blatantly cheating drop rates.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Squiddycat posted:

The teacher stuff made me bounce off of it, and I loved the previous games, sanning revelation.

So maybe rent it if you can

Yeah I'm on a break after beating it with one house and I totally understand this perspective. It can be a huge problem in terms of game play momentum. Still, everything else is very good fire emblem. Not as hard as I remember the game cube and gameboy advance ones.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Waffle! posted:

I've wanted Xcom for Switch so bad. Can't wait.

Mario+Rabbids was such an amazing sleeper hit. Like I still highly recommend it to anyone that likes XCOM.

The Rabbids are actually good, and surprisingly funny and charming, instead of being unbearable; like they usually were.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Wengy posted:

Found some old coupons and saw that new normal Switches won't be available for weeks in my country, so I just went gently caress it and ordered a nice, discounted Switch Lite for my quarantine needs. I definitely want to play BOTW, which other games should I get immediately?

Someone just mentioned Mario and Rabbids and I think that's the better game between bouts of BotW. Mario Kart is undoubtedly great, but if that gets frustrating you got nowhere to go. I didn't care for Odyssey but I don't think it serves as a decent alternative since it's also a game to invest yourself into

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

LODGE NORTH posted:

Question about capture cards and computers and all that:

For all intents and purposes, I have a Mac (it's a Hackintosh) but I want to get a capture card solely to see my Switch on my computer while I'm using it (I want it as a window within macOS) for a slew of different reasons. Is there a best one I can use? If anyone knows, with a Hackintosh, do I have more variety in what to buy? I'm basically at step 0, but wanna get things ordered before everyday items become hot items on the black market

I have an elgato HD60 S and it works without any problems on mac and windows so you'd be fine.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Hmm sorry if this is a stupid question, but I don't always trust Nintendo with profile/account stuff so I wanna make sure I don't mess anything up.

When my girlfriend and I first got our switch we didn't make different user profiles, just used one main one for everything. I didn't realize at the time how many games would tie save files etc. to your user profile, so I just linked that main one to my Nintendo account. Later, I made a second profile just for myself for games that needed a different profile for different saves. Now the first main profile is basically hers.

So now we're in the silly position where my girlfriend's profile is tied to my Nintendo account and my profile isn't linked to one. For now we haven't had issues because we haven't done any online multiplayer stuff, but I'd rather get this sorted out.

Is there a good way to resolve this? Can I have her make a Nintendo account and then link the second profile to it and switch our saves so the first profile is mine and the second is hers? I just wanna make sure I don't, like, mess up her Animal Crossing save or something that'll get me murdered.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Butterfly Valley posted:

Your friend hates you, sorry.

And the expansion pass has been on sale for 30% off in the past, so it is possible. It integrates fairly seamlessly into the main game and a lot of the content is late game anyway so just fuckin play BotW dude why are you waiting on one of the best games of all time, and you can wait a few days to see if the expansion goes on sale

I wasn't aware that my friend had ill will towards me, that's all!! I'm playing it now and building a hex against my "friend" don't worry.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

LODGE NORTH posted:

Question about capture cards and computers and all that:

For all intents and purposes, I have a Mac (it's a Hackintosh) but I want to get a capture card solely to see my Switch on my computer while I'm using it (I want it as a window within macOS) for a slew of different reasons. Is there a best one I can use? If anyone knows, with a Hackintosh, do I have more variety in what to buy? I'm basically at step 0, but wanna get things ordered before everyday items become hot items on the black market

The two main brands of consumer capture card are Avermedia and Elgato. My Avermedia card doesn't support MacOS, but that might just be with the default software, and not OBS/X-Split.
You're going to see an additional frame or two of lag though, if you don't plan to use a second monitor to view the game. For timing sensitive puzzle games, fighters, or Devolver Digital action games, that might be an issue.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I kinda regret getting Torchight II. Should have paid heed to the warnings. Out of the dozen times i've tried doing online, i've only been connected to other players once, for like 5 minutes. It's 60fps until its not. Major slowdown occurs when the action gets good. I'd love to see what happens with 4 players during a boss fight. Loot keeps dropping in spots where you cant pick it up. Melee attacks keep missing because the targeting is not precise. Oh well, at least it wasn't a $60 game.

It really makes me appreciate how botw's large, beautiful, detailed world has no loading at all, unless you fast travel, and the loading screen for that is still shorter than this old, humble looking game.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

ChocNitty posted:

I kinda regret getting Torchight II. Should have paid heed to the warnings. Out of the dozen times i've tried doing online, i've only been connected to other players once, for like 5 minutes. It's 60fps until its not. Major slowdown occurs when the action gets good. I'd love to see what happens with 4 players during a boss fight. Loot keeps dropping in spots where you cant pick it up. Melee attacks keep missing because the targeting is not precise. Oh well, at least it wasn't a $60 game.

It really makes me appreciate how botw's large, beautiful, detailed world has no loading at all, unless you fast travel, and the loading screen for that is still shorter than this old, humble looking game.

Man, I completely forgot about loot dropping in inaccessible areas when I gave those warnings. :v:

The weird thing is that the porting job was done by Panic Button; responsible for some of the most technically challenging and critically lauded ports on Switch:

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 5, 2020

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

FoolyCharged posted:

But the first one was the only one where you could find neat guns without blatantly cheating drop rates.

Aw snap, I just remembered Masher revolvers and rocket shotguns...

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

DQXI act 3 chat/spoilers

So I was finding it confusing enough trying to remember what I'd already done in the second act (post Yggdrasil falling and pre defeating Mordegon in his castle) that I needed to do again, and finding it funny and ham fisted how they try to shoehorn all the nice moments of character development that were lost into Act 3 (Erik's struggle with Mia, Sylvando's parade and reconciliation with his father, etc).

Then I ended up going to Lonalulu and finding out that even though I completed the Kai and Michelle storyline well before I went near Yggdrasil the first time, suddenly Michelle is alive again and neither of them remember anything? What the gently caress? Do they even try to explain any of this or am I just supposed to ignore the huge inconsistency?

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Butterfly Valley posted:

DQXI act 3 chat/spoilers

So I was finding it confusing enough trying to remember what I'd already done in the second act (post Yggdrasil falling and pre defeating Mordegon in his castle) that I needed to do again, and finding it funny and ham fisted how they try to shoehorn all the nice moments of character development that were lost into Act 3 (Erik's struggle with Mia, Sylvando's parade and reconciliation with his father, etc).

Then I ended up going to Lonalulu and finding out that even though I completed the Kai and Michelle storyline well before I went near Yggdrasil the first time, suddenly Michelle is alive again and neither of them remember anything? What the gently caress? Do they even try to explain any of this or am I just supposed to ignore the huge inconsistency?

I just finished Act 2 and am about to start Act 3 and this perfectly describes why I'm hesitant to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
so... what's with the new cooking mama game