Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

They just spent $21 million on upgrades for the Fitzgerald in February.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

orcbuster posted:

Thing is though that older Burkes (and the fitzgerald is an old burke) are already scheduled to be replaced with new ones.

Like glynnenstein said, they all have just recently received some form of midlife upgrade. The older Burkes like Fitzgerald got some structural work and an upgrade to their ASW capabilities (not the full big upgrade the Flight II's and some of the IIA's, but it was still a significant investment). Since the Navy has shifted away from the Zulmwat and the CG(X) and since the LCS program has been....iffy, the Burkes are pretty much going to be here to stay for a long while. The soonest we might start seeing replacements are the 2030's if the Future Surface Combatant program bears any fruit. Likely you'd see the Ticonderoga's phased out first since the latest Burkes incorporate a lot of their more advanced radar arrays into their design. Bunker Hill is actually slated to be retired in 2019 however because of current....politics there is a change some of the service life of the cruisers might get extended.

That said though, as mentioned beforehand, we are probably definitely not getting Aegis warships, especially a Ticonderoga (the Burkes are theoretically designed to be multi-mission, the Ticonderoga were designed more for A/A and Anti-missile defense so all those mentions about an Aegis ship being insta-win for us get amplified here and again, Aegis is the main US anti-missile defense). Fun fact though, the first 5 Ticonderoga were decommissioned more than fifteen years ago. Their main armament was the ,Mark 26 as opposed to the later VLS systems.

Here is the total inventory for the ships currently inactive in the USN. There are a lot of Oliver Hazard Perry classes for sale and they're a pretty versatile little ship, though since a lot had their Mark 13 missile launchers removed, they'd have less capabilities unless we could get our ships modified to the G-Class Standard the Turks fitted out. Or the Adelaide upgrades. I don't have a cost assessment for the Turkish upgrades, but it cost the Australians roughly one billion dollery-doos to modify three of their Perrys (which coming out to 750 million freedom bucks, could put something like that in our price range).

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Going live in 20 minutes or so. Stream is up now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyOFYwua-1g

https://www.twitch.tv/hiredgoons_pmc

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
This looks like it's off to an ominous start.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

:rip: Julie Mao

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Did the Russian flotilla continue moving south after the mission ended?

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

RandomPauI posted:

Did the Russian flotilla continue moving south after the mission ended?

I'm hoping we get intel/news about this because yeah I'm dying to know what was up with that.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
Well that went swimmingly! :v: :downsrim:

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Their decision to torp a fishing boat while we were dropping sonobuoys everywhere was... sub-optimal.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Looks like Iceberg or Canada Express received a lot of supplies around the opening of the mission. Likely new equipment we'll face next round. Hopefully not another whole PMC.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
It makes sense that Iceberg and BSNC would use the ceasefire as a chance to take care of a few things. It's easier to do things like resupply the navy or fly in supplies if they don't also need to prepare to attack immediately or to repulse an attack.

Nick Esasky
Nov 10, 2009
:ussr: has come out to play with SOMEBODY!

Whether that SOMEBODY is possibly St. Lawrence island, or maybe them heading over to fix up some East Russia Problems, or maybe messing with China, i'm sure our new pal Peter The Great and his buddies will be happy to come visit if SOMEBODY blows up another Ruskie fishing boat or some similar escalation.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

:woop: Get to paint a sub on my plane!

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Congrats on the sub kill! Sorry we didn't get them tos urrender, but low chance regardless. Also looking forwards to political updateson our Russki Friends.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Operation Dutch Harpoon

Spoilers below

No processing ship bonus as they were all sitting in port hiding from the sub.

ASW is a fickle beast and. A sub is ideally suited to run and hide. If it weren't for our saturation of air and sea forces it's likely the sub would have slipped through the cracks. We gave them a chance to surrender, and they didn't take it. Or they didn't see Hunt for Red October. Either way, we'll see. Hiroto Hasegawa has inquired about identifying remains of his daughter, I politely told him that it is unlikely.

Per our truce Iceberg never crossed into the Bering Sea. Though a supply convoy of 3 C-17's set down at Nome. No idea what to expect there. The Nuge is on tour in Indonesia right now, but is supposed to return once the truce is up.

The other point of interest...

The Saint Peter is lean, mean, and angry. Or at least it looks that way. This thing is custom designed to eat fighter planes and poo poo out capitalist tears. Once they crossed into the Bering Sea they transmitted a bunch of press releases. They are re-asserting Russian sovereignty over the Bering Sea. They very carefully worded the release to say that Alaska is still US, but anything beyond 15 miles from the coast is Russia. Iceberg is in an odd spot. BSNC as well.

Jack said he's going to get back to us on this one. Same with Zack. On one hand the US policy of PMC's and cost cutting has worked out, but this is the first time anyones challenged US territorial claims. All I know for sure is those French frigates made a mad dash for the opposite side of St. Lawrence. Curiously enough the Saint Peter didn't fire on them. At the moment they've headed down towards Vladivostok while leaving some intelligence gathering ships.

Mitsuhashi is pleased with us. But they are worried about the Russians. The Preventative Action committee from Mitsuhashi is demanding that we be removed from the theater to prevent things from escalating further. But the Continuous Improvement people are seeing good results according to the planning and feel that we should remain to, well, continuously improve. It's now a battle internally about our future. Not that I give a poo poo, we're getting paid well one way or the other.

Going ahead the focus is on St. Lawrence Island. Mitsuhashi is afraid that those C-17's were loaded with ground mercs specifically tasked with taking, and holding, St. Lawrence. Imagine a few Patriot batteries replacing that Mamba? Cobbie is already briefing his guys on the island. The Dunkirkers are still nominally under our control. Mitsuhashi is deathly afraid that Iceberg will shutdown access by holding that island, or, worse, that the Russians will take it and trigger a hot war over the Bering Strait.

Our next mission : get a foothold on the Island, dislodge the BSNC, find any sign of Ms. Hasegawa, and prevent Iceberg from latching on.

Lots of Facebook posts about US submariners getting called off leave since the Saint Peter went through...

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Oh boy, here we go. Things are about to get hot, one way or another. Maybe Geiger levels of hot...

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Loel posted:

:woop: Get to paint a sub on my plane!

gently caress yeah bote killers!

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

The wiki on that battle cruiser is amazing. That's a lot of sensors and a lot of S-300s.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Of course, that's assuming everything on a Russian military unit works to spec.

orcbuster
May 17, 2017

So are we ready to help Russia go to war?

:q:

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Getting Russia to start some poo poo with the US isn't the worst idea (as long as we're willing to gamble on the world not ending in nuclear hellfire). If they're busy fighting the Red Menace, they probably aren't watching the Caribbean/South America too closely and we can get up to some shenanigans like stealing liberating an island for ourselves or sticking our noses in various civil wars now that the Company is distracted.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Well this should certainly be Interesting.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Wow Russia has a lot of balls to claim the entire Bering Sea. Will be interesting to see how the US responds.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

Wow Russia has a lot of balls to claim the entire Bering Sea. Will be interesting to see how the US responds.

Well Trump/Republicans are presumably still running things, so...who knows?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Well Trump/Republicans are presumably still running things, so...who knows?

It's 2023. There's a good chance they're gone, but yeah. We don't know enough about the US's political situation right now to know how eager they are to roll over and show their belly to Russia.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Night10194 posted:

It's 2023. There's a good chance they're gone, but yeah. We don't know enough about the US's political situation right now to know how eager they are to roll over and show their belly to Russia.

Everything about Yooper's LP has been about how hosed the planet has become so I would expect the President to have received a second term.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Everything about Yooper's LP has been about how hosed the planet has become so I would expect the President to have received a second term.

Alternative possibility: President Richard Hawke.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Alternatively, the U.S could have an even worse president.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Please don't make me think of a world where President Donald Trump is the best imaginable scenario

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

I would assume that to avoid making things too political we may never get the name of the in-game president (or if we do it will be a generic fake name and not a real person). I'd actually be surprised if we even learn which party they belong to.

That said I've got my heart set on president Graham.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
"Comedy" option is President Skroob of Spaceballs.

Anyway, thoughts on the mission:

• Well, that was quick and painless. Could you confirm which aircraft will be unavailable for the next operation?
  • Hey, boat crew! Karel Doormans are now on station, and according to Yooper they will be for the rest of the theater! Now you get to see what it's like to command boats absolutely free!
  • Oooooh, boy. Bet you anything our next mission will at least partly involve FONOPs under the shadow of Peter the Great's missiles. Because you aren't supposed to claim international waters as your own, but the people who will tell them to cut them out are...not at their posts.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

They may be told to cut it out in the form of a Mk. 48 torpedo, if the foreshadowing about sub crews getting called up is at all significant.

Also, it would be hilarious if we accidentally sank/captured a Virginia because it came up to PD without clearing its baffles and a Doorman ran it over.

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

What a nice day for a gassing

Davin Valkri posted:

• Oooooh, boy. Bet you anything our next mission will at least partly involve FONOPs under the shadow of Peter the Great's missiles. Because you aren't supposed to claim international waters as your own, but the people who will tell them to cut them out are...not at their posts.

I thought Mitsuhashi (and we) were here with Russias blessing. The way I interpret the situation is that so long as Mitsuhashi keeps paying the Russians, we're still free to operate for the moment. Hell, we might be freer to operate if Iceberg has to avoid pissing off Russia.

All this until the US response arrives.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

power crystals posted:

I would assume that to avoid making things too political we may never get the name of the in-game president (or if we do it will be a generic fake name and not a real person). I'd actually be surprised if we even learn which party they belong to.

It'll be "The Administration" or some such. It'll be filled with comedy and innuendo without naming anyone. I'm not gonna go there. Just assume everyone is incompetent.

Davin Valkri posted:

"Comedy" option is President Skroob of Spaceballs.

Anyway, thoughts on the mission:

• Well, that was quick and painless. Could you confirm which aircraft will be unavailable for the next operation?
  • Hey, boat crew! Karel Doormans are now on station, and according to Yooper they will be for the rest of the theater! Now you get to see what it's like to command boats absolutely free!

1. 2 Kfirs and 2 Phantoms will be unavailable. All other support aircraft remain available.
2. They are indeed under our command for the rest of the theater. Though Mitsuhashi has warned me not to lose them.
3. Intl waters is an "idea" from some Mahanian past. Spratly Islands. China Sea. Etc, show that when a nation sees it in there interest to claim it, they will.
3.a Legally we are under Russian jurisdiction. But PMC's are making GBS threads up the place, so don't expect us to get any special treatment.

I'll be out of town Tuesday until Thursday. So thing's will be quiet until then.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Yooper posted:

It'll be "The Administration" or some such. It'll be filled with comedy and innuendo without naming anyone. I'm not gonna go there. Just assume everyone is incompetent.

That's not unreasonable. You could also go with an option of something like a strong bilateral consensus that a random alzheimer's patient who wandered up on the stage during the debate was the least contentious pick and the executive isn't doing much at all right now.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Yooper posted:

3.a Legally we are under Russian jurisdiction. But PMC's are making GBS threads up the place, so don't expect us to get any special treatment.

Does the United Nations viewpoint align with the Russian viewpoint, with respect to the 15 mile US limit?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Horribly incompetent regardless of what letter they put after their name is pretty much us_government.txt, it's not that much of a stretch to believe that the US government in 2023 is a gridlocked circular firing squad broken only by the occasional massive event and/or pork project.

Coiler121
May 26, 2017
How deep was the water the sub was sunk in? Is it even theoretically possible to dive to the wreck and see if there's any sign of Hasegawa's body?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

No more than like 200-300 feet. It's totally feasible, if we had all sorts of fancy equipment and experienced wreckers and lots of time and nobody shooting at us. Which means it's really not feasible until after the theater's pretty well tied up.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jun 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
Other things to consider are the location of this person in relation to the point of impact of the torpedo and undersea currents(and into to how many bits the sub was blown)(and if things with a taste for human flesh swim in the bering)