Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

KakerMix posted:

A full length story driven single player AAA game in VR is pretty innovative now that you mention it.

Lone Echo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

PIZZA.BAT posted:

We're not at the stage with VR where we need more innovation. We're at the stage where we need more AAA titles

Strongly disagree. IMO, innovation is exactly what VR games need because nobody yet has any loving idea how to make VR games.
My biggest personal pet peeve is that I can count the amount of VR games where locomotion feels natural and doesn't clash with the action on the fingers of one hand.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Never played it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

KakerMix posted:

Never played it.

Full-length, high budget story driven AAA VR game which incidentally also uses an innovative locomotion method that actually feels natural in VR, unlike analog stick or teleport.
Highly recommend it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Jack Trades posted:

Strongly disagree. IMO, innovation is exactly what VR games need because nobody yet has any loving idea how to make VR games.
My biggest personal pet peeve is that I can count the amount of VR games where locomotion feels natural and doesn't clash with the action on the fingers of one hand.

That's pretty much what I'd expect Valve to get right, though, a highly tuned, well thought-out VR experience. Unless you're posting from the future and have discovered it's actually garbage or something.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Jack Trades posted:

Full-length, high budget story driven AAA VR game which incidentally also uses an innovative locomotion method that actually feels natural in VR, unlike analog stick or teleport.
Highly recommend it.

Unfortunately having to use a third party tool to play it, while could probably be considering ~innovation~ on some level, is what I would call 'rear end backwards' and pretty much robs any allure of AAA.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

KakerMix posted:

Unfortunately having to use a third party tool to play it, while could probably be considering ~innovation~ on some level, is what I would call 'rear end backwards' and pretty much robs any allure of AAA.

Yeah, Oculus does a good job of trying to make me not want to play their stuff. Their vr software is just loving awful, too.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

If you haven't already, go check out the HL:A SteamVR environments. Even without the full interactivity, the level of detail they put into everything is astonishing.

https://steamcommunity.com/id/valve_artists/myworkshopfiles/

They're "Index exclusive", but the only access control is them not appearing in the environment menu, so it's possible to join someone else's room, or copy over some files:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0i0D2mMOje0

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Jack Trades posted:

This is literally what every Half-Life game has been so far and looks like what Alyx will be

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

KakerMix posted:

A full length story driven single player AAA game in VR is pretty innovative now that you mention it.

RE7 already did it. (Release the VR on PC CAPCOM!!!)

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The marketing campaign continues. Now interview in Tested
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRVXhA0-TI4

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I am hyped for all this Half Life

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jack Trades posted:

I didn't say there was anything wrong about what I've seen or that the game looked bad. In fact I said that it looked very visually impressive and polished, just not innovative in any way.

Not really supposed to be "innovative" its supposed to be a AAA VR experience and an intro to VR for lots of people

Jack Trades posted:

You're being mighty defensive

:ironicat:

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

This rock music from this rock band I like is using guitars, how fuckin' unoriginal.

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.

Jack Trades posted:

Based on the gameplay videos the game looks extremely pretty, extremely polished and extremely derivative, without a single innovative idea.

Maybe I'm nuts but didn't you post this exact same thing in another thread?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Not really supposed to be "innovative" its supposed to be a AAA VR experience and an intro to VR for lots of people

It's pretty reasonable to be disappointed, Valve is responsible for some pretty drat innovative games, like HL2 and Portal. Like there's nothing inherently wrong with not being innovative, but if that's what you wanted it to be it's still kind of a bummer.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Lemming posted:

It's pretty reasonable to be disappointed, Valve is responsible for some pretty drat innovative games, like HL2 and Portal. Like there's nothing inherently wrong with not being innovative, but if that's what you wanted it to be it's still kind of a bummer.

These days you should be happy they make games at all :cheeky:

And expecting everything from a studio to be innovative seems highly unrealistic. Its cool if they do make something innovative (which, VR is but lets ignore that for the people who are hardcore into VR) but you shouldn't demand it.

Portal was just a polished Narbacular Drop :)

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

These days you should be happy they make games at all :cheeky:

And expecting everything from a studio to be innovative seems highly unrealistic. Its cool if they do make something innovative (which, VR is but lets ignore that for the people who are hardcore into VR) but you shouldn't demand it.

That first line is definitely true, but I don't think anybody's demanding it be innovative, I still hoped that it would be.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Again- the innovation is in the SDK they're publishing along with an example game showing developers how it's done. This is how Half-Life has always been

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
I'm just confused what innovation is missing

You guys want two gravity guns? Well u got em', in glove form :smug:

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Again- the innovation is in the SDK they're publishing along with an example game showing developers how it's done. This is how Half-Life has always been

VR is a completely new frontier for game design, we've seen a ton of janky but cool experiments people have done, as well as a lot of solid gameplay mechanics that can only work in VR that open up entirely new avenues. We've also seen a lot of "let's put this flatscreen game but in VR" and I'm really not extremely excited about those. Sure, having more tools is always good, but at this point I'm more interested in the new gameplay ideas themselves, not the platform for coming up with those ideas.

Like even in the developer interview, they were like "yeah we started with just putting HL2 mechanics in VR, and it was a great fit! So we've been working with that as a base and going from there" and it's like... sure, but man I already played HL2 I don't really want "HL2 but in VR" even though it's neat it's not compelling to my tastes. If that's what you want that's awesome! It's literally not bad or wrong. If someone told me they were making a pie and it turned out to be pecan and not pumpkin I would be disappointed because pumpkin is my favorite, but it's still great that the people who like pecan are getting exactly what they want.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Yes? I get that the goal with Alyx is to sell a lot of Index headsets and give those new to VR a great introductory experience, and it will probably totally succeed in that, but as someone who already played a poo poo ton of VR stuff the gameplay that they showed doesn't really excite me personally.

I'm really not sure why y'all are crawling up my rear end for not think that this will be the best thing since sliced bread. Especially since I didn't really say anything negative about it in the first place. :shrug:

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

it's natural to deify artists/studios that are masterful at their craft but aren't prolific. And while being at the prime age for absorbing half life 1 and 2 (bought the Half Life 2 special edition when I was a teenager, got hyped watching the source tech demo over and over again) I'm not expecting valve to make a "revolutionary" game... it just seems kind of unreasonable considering what the half life series of games was/is. Games that valued the immersion of the player in the environment above most everything else, which at the time of HL2 meant incorporating physics at a time when they were fairly computationally expensive. That technology WAS revolutionary, considering all of the game design implications of say, actually being ABLE to bar a door shut with a busted washing machine.

The revolutionary technology here that helps Valve achieve their goal of better immersion is VR... it's just that the tech was out of the gate before the game. Which is fine?

I'm expecting nice music, good writing and acting, fun level design, an expansion/exploration of the art design of Viktor Antonov, and some fun physics stuff thrown in for good measure.

The moments I remember from Half Life 2 and the episodes were moments where the objective was fairly clear and the soundtrack made itself known. When you're attacking the prison in HL2, or defending the vortigaunts in the mineshaft of episode 1. If I get some moments like that, but I'm actually there, that's all I need 🤔

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

I'm really not sure why y'all are crawling up my rear end for not think that this will be the best thing since sliced bread.

Lmao look at the last page dude

this isn't about thinking its the best thing ever or not

if anybody's crawling up anybody's rear end you're the one doing it. Chill the gently caress out.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Penpal posted:

it's natural to deify artists/studios that are masterful at their craft but aren't prolific. And while being at the prime age for absorbing half life 1 and 2 (bought the Half Life 2 special edition when I was a teenager, got hyped watching the source tech demo over and over again) I'm not expecting valve to make a "revolutionary" game... it just seems kind of unreasonable considering what the half life series of games was/is. Games that valued the immersion of the player in the environment above most everything else, which at the time of HL2 meant incorporating physics at a time when they were fairly computationally expensive. That technology WAS revolutionary, considering all of the game design implications of say, actually being ABLE to bar a door shut with a busted washing machine.

The revolutionary technology here that helps Valve achieve their goal of better immersion is VR... it's just that the tech was out of the gate before the game. Which is fine?

I'm expecting nice music, good writing and acting, fun level design, an expansion/exploration of the art design of Viktor Antonov, and some fun physics stuff thrown in for good measure.

The moments I remember from Half Life 2 and the episodes were moments where the objective was fairly clear and the soundtrack made itself known. When you're attacking the prison in HL2, or defending the vortigaunts in the mineshaft of episode 1. If I get some moments like that, but I'm actually there, that's all I need 🤔

I think one of the stealth-innovations of HL2 and especially the episodes was actually the interaction with Alyx as a companion, they did a really great job of integrating her in a way where she didn't get in the way or drag down the experience like a lot of games end up having your companions do, but the back and forth (well, I guess just... back...) was fantastic and they did it much better than most games I've played since. One exception which I think is actually really dope is Lone Echo, which is the VR game that was referenced just a bit ago. The story of that game is that you're a companion AI that's helping a scientist named Liv on a space station around Saturn, and then stuff happens yadda yadda, but there's a ton of emotional interaction and attachment you get that the developers worked really hard on and they absolutely nailed it. It felt like a natural evolution of that kind of character interaction from Alyx, and I would love for it to be focused on as well here because it's really, really fantastic when done well in VR.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Wonder if the game will end with Alyx finding Gordon near the beginning of HL2.

:munch:

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I've never seen Valve games as revolutionary. I've seen them as evolutionary and a good culmination of everything that came before it. Half-Life was fantastic, but it certainly wasn't the first FPS to combine FPS gameplay with narrative gameplay. Portal was just that college group's Narbunkyoular Drop or whatever bought by Valve and remade as Portal. Valve has made some crazy good and classic games, but expecting them to reinvent the wheel every time is a touch unrealistic.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Cartoon Man posted:

Comedy cut to credits just as he looks over and opens his mouth to say hello

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Jack Trades posted:

Based on the gameplay videos the game looks extremely pretty, extremely polished and extremely derivative, without a single innovative idea.

Jack Trades posted:

I didn't say there was anything wrong about what I've seen or that the game looked bad. In fact I said that it looked very visually impressive and polished, just not innovative in any way.

*holds finger next to your face*

"im not touching you! im not touching you!"

:jerkbag:

Evil Trout
Nov 16, 2004

The evilest trout of them all

Cartoon Man posted:

Valve has been cagey about calling it a prequel. We know that portals can travel through space and time, so my theory is this game involves Alyx from after HL2E2 going back in time to get something important from the combine before the citadel is destroyed.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
The original Alyx preview had explicit quotes from the end of Episode 2.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

I would say between the gussied up version that valve released and the direct feed from ign the gameplay looks very similar which to me means they haven't really fabricated much from their gameplay to make it look better, it already looks amazing.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
This looks really nice and I look forward to a competent streamer to play it for me because I'm not spending 200 bucks for the game + vr headset.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Freakazoid_ posted:

This looks really nice and I look forward to a competent streamer to play it for me because I'm not spending 200 bucks for the game + vr headset.

BY GOLLY DO I HAVE A CHANNEL FOR YOU!

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

rage-saq posted:

BY GOLLY DO I HAVE A CHANNEL FOR YOU!

EbolaIvory's? 🤔

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Penpal posted:

EbolaIvory's? 🤔

You hurt me :(
Jk I’m sure he’s gonna do it too and it’ll be good
I’m taking the day off to do it all day, subathon, various fun HL irl things, it’s gonna be a blast

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Freakazoid_ posted:

You should tho. VR owns

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

You should tho. VR owns

VR owns pretty hard, and its honestly just been getting better.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Cartoon Man posted:

A sequence where you have to knock out all the metrocops with your bare hands, breaking your grabbity gloves in the process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
Lol at spending 200 dollars for VR...it's expensive and stupid. But if you're a manchild like me spending the money on it had no regrets. I ain't played a non VR game since investing.