Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
I just noticed this on the raw viewer. Please swap the commands of CA occipitalobe and CA LLSix. There's no sense in having occipitalobe on a planet that exists to mine if he doesn't have a mining bonus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Mister Bates posted:

It would be nice if the 'Officers' section of the viewer could be sorted by column - like, if I wanted to see a list of our officers ordered by their Crew Training Rating, or sorted alphabetically by name, or whatever.

I can't make any promises about this for two reasons: 1) I didn't write the actual webpage that displays the data I strip out of the DB and 2) from talking to the dev who did, it is not trivial to do this, as the PHP basically just generates a flat HTML table with no dynamic sort capability every time the Report Type selection is changed. I'll make a note of it as desired functionality though.

DagPenge posted:

DagPenge Jr. would be better, to differentiate the character from my first one

You've been added to the top of the CivAdmin queue.

Slowbeef posted:

Could not have put this better myself. No torture chat below here.

If SlowBeef has to come into the thread again to remind people not to be weird, I can't be held accountable for the in-game repercussions. :v:

LordNagash posted:

Well, I finally read this entire thread. That took a while.

If possible, I'd like to be signed up in the Naval Service please, BG. Seems like some exciting times ahead there.

There was a free officer, so you are now the officer formerly known as Cmdr. Augustine Rutt.

Earth: UN HQ, Geneva, 21st April 2035

The UN sends out updated orders across several departments:

• The newly merged UNRL finally ends the shore leave of its geosurvey team on Earth. The team will be dispatched to 511 Davida via UNS Boomtown.
  • UNRL also decides to issue a civilian contract to move the terraformer currently on Callisto to Tranquility to assist in building the atmosphere there.
  • UNIEB issues a slew of future production contracts for upcoming UNIN shipbuilding efforts.
  • UNIN augments its plan to entrap the stealth-ship Shrike by assigning two Cape Town-class destroyers to the STALKER task group.
  • UNCAO orders Mr. occipitallobe, administrator of Mimas, to swap commands with Mr. LLSix, administrator of 511 Davida.

Mars: Belnar Ruin Zone, 22nd April 2035

The 83rd Engineering Brigade reports that it has uncovered a vast sorium-storage facility in the last unexplored building in the southern ruins. With this, formal exploitation of the Belnar ruins comes to a close and the UNGF units present on Mars begin to stand down and prepare for transport off-planet.

On Earth, the Universidad de Sevilla de Ciencias Trans-Newtonian (Seville University of Trans-Newtonian Science) opens its doors. With a platform of welcoming non-UN, Spanish-language students from Europe and South America as well as applicants from North Africa, the university is a targeted attempt to improve relations with these unaligned regions. Additionally, the UN School of Power and Propulsion is located at the university in an attempt to incentivize the study of this critical technology.

With nearly half the UN's industrial capability devoted to fast-tracking the construction and activation of the university, UNIEB finds itself with a large amount of resources. These are allocated to ship component production contracts for magazines, nuclear pulse engines, and passive sensors, including a Trans-Newtonian electromagnetic detection sensor recently approved for production by Dr. Scribbleykins.

Four of Scribbleykins's labs are redistributed by UNSA, with one going to a crew quarters miniaturization project under Dr. Eumenides and three being allocated to Project SPRINTER under Dr. MagicBoots. The remaining lab is retained by Scribbleykins, who begins researching further improvements to EM sensor sensitivity.

Finally, new UNIN academy graduate CMDR LordNagash is assigned to Commodore Tomas Boen's xenoarchaeology team, currently undergoing an intensive study of selected Belnar artifacts on Earth. He replaces CMDR Morrow, who returns to regular UNIN duty.

Callisto: UNIN 1st Fleet HQ, Ragnarok, 23rd April 2035

To: UNEC
Re: RoC Ship Movements

Sirs, the Republic of Cornucopia's Moskva just spend about two hours in Earth orbit and then set course for Pallas. She had been undergoing slow-speed patrols along the Earth-Mars drifting direct line for the last several weeks, so it is likely she came for refuel, resupply, and is returning to Cornucopia for a crew rotation.

Earth: UN HQ, Geneva, 26th April 2035

Earth's UN administrator and acting Secretary-General of the General Assembly, Mr. Farecoal, announces a slight tax increase for UN member nations on Earth. The expectation is that most of these nations will pass the increase onto their populaces, though the tax structure of the UN (created with the 2nd UN Charter) allows for other methods.

UNS Shambhala: Low Orbit around Roanoke VI, 27th April 2035

CMDR UrbicaMortis, CO of UNS Shambhala reports that he has completed his assigned geological survey duties. While there are still a number of moons of Roanoke VII to be surveyed, these are more than 23 billion km from Shambhala, on the opposite side of the Roanoke system. Moreover, UNS Avalon and UNS Cibola have just arrived at Roanoke VII and have begun survey work there. UNIN deems that there is no need for Shambhala to make the trek across the system to join in this effort, so she sets course for the nearest gravitational survey location, six days away at full speed.

Thread Updates
I wanted to get more done today, but it was hectic as hell at work.

bgreman fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Oct 3, 2013

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

I swear to God, I bitch about our CAs and they immediately prove me wrong in game. I was just bitching 4 hours ago that Farecoal hasn't gotten an upgrade in a long, long time.

However, the upgrades are never the ones I want. Calvin, loving upgrade to A3 already so I can start using you again!

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Well that sucks that Roanoke is such a useless dump. Coolguye please complain some more about how Viewtyjoe is useless and has no bonus ta.

To: Tildeath
Subject: Project Endymion

Ma'am the UN has almost completed it's preparations for the project Endymion snoopship Astronomy vessel.

The UN will provide a sum of Eight billion Euro, required TNE construction materials (30 Duranium and 10 Mercassium per ship) and the required components (engine plus passive sensors) in return for a continuous production run of four Endymion class snoopships Astronomy vessels. Expected construction time is approx 9 weeks per ship.

code:
Endymion class "Astronomy" vessel    1 000 tons     93 Crew     121 BP      TCS 20  TH 40  EM 0
2000 km/s     Armour 1-8     Shields 0-0     Sensors 20/36/0/0     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 0
Maint Life 9.01 Years     MSP 76    AFR 8%    IFR 0.1%    1YR 2    5YR 25    Max Repair 36 MSP

P&W Nuclear Pulse Engine E10 (1)    Power 40    Fuel Use 100%    Signature 40    Armour 0    Exp 5%
Fuel Capacity 50 000 Litres    Range 90.0 billion km   (520 days at full power)

Thermal Sensor TH4-20 "Mercury" (1)     Sensitivity 20     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  20m km
EM Detection Sensor EM6-36 "Aricebo" (1)     Sensitivity 36     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  36m km

Saros fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Oct 5, 2013

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
TO: Engineering and Science Crew
RE: Not wanting to die out there.

Gentlemen and gentleladies, the rumors are true. We might try and send a small team to set foot on one of the moons on Roanoke VII. For that to be a reality, we need 2 things:

1) Find which one of these moons have the proper climate and gravitational conditions that allow for a landing party not to die on arrival.

2) Make sure we have or can build the appropiate equipment for the landing team to not die while shooting video of this great acomplishment, and to return them to our ship safely.

So, let's get started with the survey.

TO: UNIN, UNSA
RE: A man can't just keep sitting around.

Sirs, I'm formally requesting permission to try and send an away team, with the goal to set foot on one of the moons of Roanoke VII.

This will be subject to what our surveys tell us about the current conditions of these moons, and if we can muster the necessary equipment for the away team to survive those conditions, if only for a short while.

The objective of the mission will be a symbolic gesture, planting a UN flag on the surface of the body, and shooting of video that will surely help us improve our public image, as an organization that can and will deliver on the promise of taking humanity into new worlds.

We might even bring back some space rocks for the scientists to analyze, if conditions allow for it.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Would the UN PR dept be so kind as to make a small Exec Whip letterhead?

And can i request that letterheads be used for all posts where directives, votes and orders are made, while discussion posts be unadorned. It will make it easier to track requests, votes and decisions.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

TildeATH posted:

TO: The United Nations of Hegemony
SUBJECT: What you name your boats

We must vigorously protest the recent rumored naming scheme of your as-yet unannounced new class of ships. Any UN vessel named after hegemonic aggression by the hypercolonialist bigots once known affectionately as the Lords of Ireland will be viewed as offensive not only to many of your member states but also of the free peoples of Cornucopia.

If you are so unimaginative as to be incapable of naming a ship, might I suggest Mount St. Thatcher?

The United Nations does not, as a matter of policy, submit the names of its craft to the approval of other governments. However, we certainly appreciate Cornucopia's rich history and heritage and as a result of your request we are considering a renaming of the UX-21 class target drone to the Belgrano-class.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Kommando posted:

And can i request that letterheads be used for all posts where directives, votes and orders are made, while discussion posts be unadorned. It will make it easier to track requests, votes and decisions.

Ah yeah sure, let me get on it. I've been passively following this thread but IIRC there were some remarks on the existing letterheads and I guess UNRL needs something nice as well.

e: Haha guess what I forgot to backup when I did a fresh install. Oh well, there's an older version floating around :v:

Koesj fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Oct 4, 2013

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Kommando posted:

I'm trying but sometimes digging up the url is more effort than I can be bothered with.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Does anyone have a high-res version of the UNIN logo?

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Saros posted:

To: Tildeath
Subject: Project Endymion

Ma'am the UN has almost completed it's preparations for the project Endymion snoopship Astronomy vessel.

The UN will provide a sum of Eight billion Euro, required TNE construction materials and the required components (engine plus passive sensors) in return for a continuous production run of four Endymion class snoopships Astronomy vessels.

code:
Endymion class "Astronomy" vessel    1 000 tons     93 Crew     121 BP      TCS 20  TH 40  EM 0
2000 km/s     Armour 1-8     Shields 0-0     Sensors 20/36/0/0     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 0
Maint Life 9.01 Years     MSP 76    AFR 8%    IFR 0.1%    1YR 2    5YR 25    Max Repair 36 MSP

P&W Nuclear Pulse Engine E10 (1)    Power 40    Fuel Use 100%    Signature 40    Armour 0    Exp 5%
Fuel Capacity 50 000 Litres    Range 90.0 billion km   (520 days at full power)

Thermal Sensor TH4-20 "Mercury" (1)     Sensitivity 20     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  20m km
EM Detection Sensor EM6-36 "Aricebo" (1)     Sensitivity 36     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  36m km

TO: UNSA
SUBJECT: Endymion Research Vessels

The Free Peoples of Cornucopia see fit to approve of this arrangement. We look forward to witnessing a return to relevance on the part of the United Nations. Like your once proud ancestors, we feel you have much potential and may one day restore yourselves to your former glory.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

Does anyone have a high-res version of the UNIN logo?

How big do you want it?

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Draft of a possible next generation Missile cruiser design with a companion class.

code:
X-15 class Heavy Cruiser    7 650 tons     770 Crew     1159.2 BP      TCS 153  TH 540  EM 0
4705 km/s     Armour 4-34     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 4     PPV 32
Maint Life 3.59 Years     MSP 379    AFR 117%    IFR 1.6%    1YR 45    5YR 680    Max Repair 80 MSP
Magazine 388    

Ion Engine E8 (12)    Power 60    Fuel Use 80%    Signature 45    Armour 0    Exp 5%
Fuel Capacity 100 000 Litres    Range 29.4 billion km   (72 days at full power)

Size 1 Missile Launcher (15s) (8)    Missile Size 1    Rate of Fire 15
Size 4 Missile Launcher (X-15) (6)    Missile Size 4    Rate of Fire 60
Missile Fire Control FC7-R1 (Y-15) (1)     Range 7.7m km    Resolution 1
Missile Fire Control FC60-R40 (X-15) (1)     Range 60.7m km    Resolution 40
Size 4 Anti-ship Missile (72)  Speed: 30 000 km/s   End: 25m    Range: 45m km   WH: 4    Size: 4    TH: 120 / 72 / 36
Size 1 Anti-missile Missile (Y-15) (92)  Speed: 30 000 km/s   End: 1.2m    Range: 2.2m km   WH: 1    Size: 1    TH: 180 / 108 / 54

Active Search Sensor MR45-R50 (X-15) (1)     GPS 4000     Range 45.3m km    Resolution 50

Missile to hit chances are vs targets moving at 3000 km/s, 5000 km/s and 10,000 km/s
code:
Y-15 class Light Cruiser    3 650 tons     338 Crew     584.6 BP      TCS 73  TH 270  EM 0
4931 km/s     Armour 3-21     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 2     PPV 10
Maint Life 3.87 Years     MSP 200    AFR 53%    IFR 0.7%    1YR 21    5YR 317    Max Repair 80 MSP
Magazine 188    

Ion Engine E8 (6)    Power 60    Fuel Use 80%    Signature 45    Armour 0    Exp 5%
Fuel Capacity 50 000 Litres    Range 30.8 billion km   (72 days at full power)

Size 1 Missile Launcher (15s) (10)    Missile Size 1    Rate of Fire 15
Missile Fire Control FC7-R1 (Y-15) (1)     Range 7.7m km    Resolution 1
Size 1 Anti-missile Missile (Y-15) (188)  Speed: 30 000 km/s   End: 1.2m    Range: 2.2m km   WH: 1    Size: 1    TH: 180 / 108 / 54

Active Search Sensor MR6-R1 (Y-15) (1)     GPS 80     Range 6.4m km    Resolution 1

Missile to hit chances are vs targets moving at 3000 km/s, 5000 km/s and 10,000 km/s
code:
Active Search Sensor MR6-R1 (Y-15)
Active Sensor Strength: 80   Sensitivity Modifier: 80%
Sensor Size: 5 HS    Sensor HTK: 1
Resolution: 1    Maximum Range vs 50 ton object (or larger): 6 400 000 km
Range vs Size 6 Missile (or smaller): 696 960 km
Range vs Size 8 Missile: 1 024 000 km
Range vs Size 12 Missile: 2 304 000 km
The Light Cruiser is a missile spotter and has a large enough sensor to allow both of the ships to fire two AMM salvoes (17-18% chance to hit per missile) at incoming missile waves assuming equivalent missile tech. The magazines used are Size 6, 89 capacity 3HTK.

Uses improved sensor tech, Composite armor, new Magazine tech and missile reload rate 2.

Saros fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Oct 5, 2013

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Koesj posted:

How big do you want it?

Would 512x512 with .png alpha layer transparency be possible?

Innocent_Bystander
May 17, 2012

Wait, missile production is my responsibility?

Oh.
Re: X-15

This is looking like the same mistake we made with the Berlin, trying to put ASM and AMM roles on a single ship. Why not just stuff even more ASM missiles in there?

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

Would 512x512 with .png alpha layer transparency be possible?

Sure, it's not a square logo though!

Let me know whether or not that works for you.

LordNagash
Dec 29, 2012

Innocent_Bystander posted:

Re: X-15

This is looking like the same mistake we made with the Berlin, trying to put ASM and AMM roles on a single ship. Why not just stuff even more ASM missiles in there?

I was thinking the same thing. Trying to build an all around ship just isn't working at this tech level. The best way to go forward seems to build a main battle ship at our biggest shipyard focusing on ship killing missiles, and move any other roles to either smaller ships or something that can be built with the same tooling.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

The big issue with missile PD is the large active it requires, which is offloaded to the light cruiser.

While a heavy launcher only platform is a good idea i'd prefer some self defence capability. The design also has the second FC as a backup in case of damage.

In this case we could swap out the pd tubes for 2 more s4 launchers or some engines but not much else. In fact for a launch platform only i'd recommend more speed and armor to increase survivability. We could alternatively use another light ship with more tubes/magspace replacing the AMM to supplement the Y-15.

Saros fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Oct 5, 2013

LordNagash
Dec 29, 2012
More armour seems like a necessary choice, as current fleet doctrine on both sides is looking like slowly closing and hammering each other with missiles. Whoever manages to survive longest wins.

We might as well get something out of all these defense scientists.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

CIWS is only 1200rp away.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

^^ CIWS is a terrible waste of tonnage and RP. With 2nd gen Gauss/turret/FC techs you are paying 350T of space for two shots using 8000Kps tracking speed. Not entirely horrible but CIWS only defend the ship they are mounted on making them a total waste.

Faster and seriously up-armored version. Less magspace but it still carries a dozen salvoes of ASM missiles.

code:
X-16 class Cruiser    7 500 tons     694 Crew     1158.4 BP      TCS 150  TH 585  EM 0
5200 km/s     Armour 6-34     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 4     PPV 24
Maint Life 3.74 Years     MSP 386    AFR 112%    IFR 1.6%    1YR 43    5YR 647    Max Repair 80 MSP
Magazine 291    

Ion Engine E8 (13)    Power 60    Fuel Use 80%    Signature 45    Armour 0    Exp 5%
Fuel Capacity 100 000 Litres    Range 30.0 billion km   (66 days at full power)

Size 4 Anti-ship Missile (73)  Speed: 30 000 km/s   End: 25m    Range: 45m km   WH: 4    Size: 4    TH: 120 / 72 / 36

Active Search Sensor MR45-R50 (X-15) (1)     GPS 4000     Range 45.3m km    Resolution 50

It's basically an upsized Skory 33 with its own active. 43.3% Engine, this is a lot.

Saros fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Oct 6, 2013

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Saros posted:

^^ CIWS is a terrible waste of tonnage and RP. With 2nd gen Gauss/turret/FC techs you are paying 350T of space for two shots using 8000Kps tracking speed. Not entirely horrible but CIWS only defend the ship they are mounted on making them a total waste.

Faster and seriously up-armored version. Less magspace but it still carries a dozen salvoes of ASM missiles.

code:
X-16 class Cruiser    7 500 tons     694 Crew     1158.4 BP      TCS 150  TH 585  EM 0
5200 km/s     Armour 6-34     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 4     PPV 24
Maint Life 3.74 Years     MSP 386    AFR 112%    IFR 1.6%    1YR 43    5YR 647    Max Repair 80 MSP
Magazine 291    

Ion Engine E8 (13)    Power 60    Fuel Use 80%    Signature 45    Armour 0    Exp 5%

Size 4 Anti-ship Missile (73)  Speed: 30 000 km/s   End: 25m    Range: 45m km   WH: 4    Size: 4    TH: 120 / 72 / 36

It's basically an upsized Skory 33 with its own active. 43.3% Engine, this is a lot.
Personal shop defence is not what I would call a total waste.
What about the Assassin class missile frigate we designed in IRC?

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
CIWS is a pretty great 'oh poo poo' last-ditch defense weapon and can be the difference between life and death in missile-heavy fights - sure, it might only take out one or two missiles, but sometimes that's all you need, and it gets much more effective as the associated techs advance. They also need no micromanaging, no fire control systems, no sensors, no reactors, and no ammo. Currently, our only anti-missile ship defense involves using other missiles, which are finite - and if anything gets past our point defense missiles, our ships are just poo poo out of luck. And if the fire control systems or the sensors are somehow taken offline, even a ship with a full magazine of missiles is completely defenseless. We desperately need either a CIWS system, or a turreted beam weapon designed specifically to be mounted on ships for close-range anti-missile defense (with associated fire control system, of course).

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Also if I'm not mistaken our AMM hit chances are pretty poo poo, and the sensors cannot detect incoming ordinance until laughably short range.

I think? Not an Aurora player so just guessing.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
e. Sorry, never mind.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

So this thread has motivated me to watch Dr Strangelove for the first time. All the faces that I know! I was greeted by Mr Snark having a phone call with Added Space, and miss TildeATH appeared shortly after. It was a brilliant film, and your appearance made it all the better. Good job, all.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Teledahn posted:

Also if I'm not mistaken our AMM hit chances are pretty poo poo, and the sensors cannot detect incoming ordinance until laughably short range.

I think? Not an Aurora player so just guessing.

Each AMM will usually have a lower to hit than an equal tech PD specialised beam/gun but you engage each incoming missile with 2-5 AMM's plus you can fire multiple salvoes as the launchers reload fast leading to better overall kill rates.

They also use the same techs as your offensive missiles so you dont have to slog up the RP intensive beam/firecontrol tree's.

The reason the Surigao's performed so badly was due to FEAN tech advantage and bad design of the AMM sensors that will not be repeated.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

markus_cz posted:

So this thread has motivated me to watch Dr Strangelove for the first time. All the faces that I know! I was greeted by Mr Snark having a phone call with Added Space, and miss TildeATH appeared shortly after. It was a brilliant film, and your appearance made it all the better. Good job, all.

Apparently you missed my appearance :saddowns:

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Saros posted:

Each AMM will usually have a lower to hit than an equal tech PD specialised beam/gun but you engage each incoming missile with 2-5 AMM's plus you can fire multiple salvoes as the launchers reload fast leading to better overall kill rates.

They also use the same techs as your offensive missiles so you dont have to slog up the RP intensive beam/firecontrol tree's.

The reason the Surigao's performed so badly was due to FEAN tech advantage and bad design of the AMM sensors that will not be repeated.

I feel it is mistake that our entire combat doctrine is decided by one mans opinions. And that man is not in charge of the military.
While im normally in favor of an elite scientist caste guiding humanity to greatness, the stubbornness that Saros exhibits and singleminded dedication to a combat doctrine that his own scientists are far behind on bothers me.

Who really runs the United Nations Interplanetary Navy?

==============
UNITED NATIONS EXECUTIVE WHIP

Decisions to be made:
  • -- Administrative matters.
  • Do we sell 4 Belnar troop transport bays (Half) to FEAN as they requested?

• UNIEB has no deputy.
    Jimmy4400nav will need a new UNIEB Second in charge. While Jimmy has not taken a sick day in five years and is an accruing leave days by the dozen he remains married to his work. Nevertheless, UNIEB is entitled to elect a deputy from reasonable volunteer candidates.

Gnooble posted:

ATTENTION UNEC

Per BGreman in IRC, we cannot use the title Secretary General as that is the head of the GA, therefore I will be calling the office UNEC Chairman unless someone objects - also, since this is a tiebreaker position rather than a full policy maker, we have to hold our own elections. Alternatively UNEC can appoint a candidate but I think we had all expected an election, if any other UNEC objects we'll hold a UNEC vote on the issue and this election will be on hold until we decide what to do. If no one objects we'll start up the election this weekend.

Following on from this point, we may need to formalize our departments, we have been relying on convention and BGreman's good graces in dividing up our responsibilities, but during the discussion about whether our new position was a full PM or not, it came up that any UNEC could theoretically usurp another department. I'm posting what I view as the responsibilities of each department, if anyone sees something I missed or that they disagree with, please post it.

UNCAO

Assigns Civ Admins
    Determines colony focus
    Determines where to colonize
    Negotiates with UN colonies for full member status
    Polices UN colonies (may have garrison battalions detached from UNGF)

UNFRAD

Conducts diplomacy and trade with non-UN groups
    Negotiates for UN member status with non-UN colonies
    Joint Oversight of UNFI

UNIEB

Directs colonial industry
    Maintains relations with civilian corporations based on UN colonies
    Responsible for groundside trade and wealth generation

UNRL

Manages the commercial fleet of the UN
    Responsible for UN commercial yards
    Handles distribution and operation of UN mining ops
    Controls UNGS teams and may direct detached geosurvey ships
    Maintains void based civilian operations and trade

UNSA

Directs the research of the UN
    Controls UN Xeno Teams
    May direct detached UN Engineers in the exploitation of alien ruins

UNIN

Directs the defense of the UN
    Responsible for naval shipyards and naval operations
    Oversees the UNGF and troop transport
    Joint Oversight of UNFI

Once we've all had a chance to chime in, this may be something we want to formally ratify by unanimous UNEC assent to avoid any messes regarding orders in the future.

• Noone has commented on this yet. Can we finalise the roles, inc the Exec Whip, and ratify this in the Wiki.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whip_%28politics%29 for reference.

• -- Military Matters
  • Saros has proposed two Size 6 missiles for the Gibraltars.

Saros posted:

As for the Gibraltar missile I have two proposals. First a missile that matches our current standard missile speed and can be fired in syn with out Eagles and Hornet-C. This would further be useful as we could arm the Berlin Class with this missile as their current loadout is somewhat unoptimal.

code:
    SR S6 Missile. WH:1.334 ENG:3.37 FUEL: 1.296
    Missile Size: 6 MSP  (0.3 HS)     Warhead: 4    Armour: 0     Manoeuvre Rating: 10
    Speed: 22500 km/s    Endurance: 32 minutes   Range: 43.3m km
    Cost Per Missile: 3.2467
    Chance to Hit: 1k km/s 225%   3k km/s 70%   5k km/s 45%   10k km/s 22.5%
    Materials Required:    1x Tritanium   1.9967x Gallicite   Fuel x3240
    Development Cost for Project: 325RP
    Alternatively a slower, longer ranged version is possible.

code:
    LR S6 Missile. WH: 1.334 ENG: 3.0 FUEL: 1.666
    Missile Size: 6 MSP  (0.3 HS)     Warhead: 4    Armour: 0     Manoeuvre Rating: 10
    Speed: 20000 km/s    Endurance: 46 minutes   Range: 55.5m km
    Cost Per Missile: 3
    Chance to Hit: 1k km/s 200%   3k km/s 60%   5k km/s 40%   10k km/s 20%
    Materials Required:    1x Tritanium   1.75x Gallicite   Fuel x4165
    Development Cost for Project: 300RP
    I would recommend the first missile simply because Missile Ion Engines and improved warheads are on the horizon and so any missiles developed now will only have a limited timeframe of use.

There was a two stage multimissile that generated some interest but its first stage was decreed too slow.

I proposed some some missiles.
    A Torpedo and a Sniping missile.
    The sniping missile is identical to the S6LR as proposed but with Fuel efficiency 80% research numbers.
    The torpedo is a very short range but devastatingly powerful missile able to pierce three layers of armour.

code:
    Sprite S6 Torpedo [3/2.75/.25/0]
    Missile Size: 6 MSP  (0.3 HS)     Warhead: 9    Armour: 0     Manoeuvre Rating: 10
    Speed: 18300 km/s    Endurance: 9 minutes   Range: 9.4m km
    Cost Per Missile: 4.0833
    Chance to Hit: 1k km/s 183%   3k km/s 60%   5k km/s 36.6%   10k km/s 18.3%
    Materials Required:    2.25x Tritanium   1.5833x Gallicite   Fuel x625

Development Cost for Project: 408RP

Harpy S6 Monitor missile. [1.334/3/1.666/0]
    Speed: 20000 km/s    Endurance: 52 minutes   Range: 62.5m km
    Cost Per Missile: 3
    Chance to Hit: 1k km/s 200%   3k km/s 60%   5k km/s 40%   10k km/s 20%
    Materials Required:    1x Tritanium   1.75x Gallicite   Fuel x4165

Development Cost for Project: 300RP
  • Do we have other missile proposals for the Gibraltar Missile Design Tender?

• Tenders have gone out for a next generation missile cruiser.

Saros posted:

For content I am gonna solicit ideas for the next generation capital ship. Currently the best bet looks to be a fast missile cruiser in the 7500T region with ion engines and upgraded tech. It will ideally have some AMM capability and a low resolution AM sensor while relying on spotter ships like the Delphi class for long range targetting.

Crucial tech for the next fleet generation:
    -Ion drives
    -Composite armor
    -Em 8 and active 16
    -Missile reload 2 or 3
    -Small crew quarters
    -Improved magazine tech (not super crucial but nice)

Ideally this ship would let us maintain parity with the next generation FEAN ships. Afterwards resources could be directed towards the development of direct fire technologies for point defense and JP combat.

Four potential responses have been made so far. Two were refined in consultation with UNSA
    Saros also proposed a carrier class vessel.
    ==================

The X-15 had been corrected by Saros to be the X-16 proposal.

code:
    Magazine 291    

-------

code:
    Cumulative class Cruiser    7,400 tons     739 Crew     1186.24 BP      TCS 148  TH 300  EM 0
    4054 km/s     Armour 4-33     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 6     PPV 30
    Maint Life 4.68 Years     MSP 601    AFR 73%    IFR 1%    1YR 45    5YR 673    Max Repair 144 MSP
    Magazine 445    

Ion Engine E8 TS30 (10)    Power 60    Fuel Use 80%    Signature 30    Armour 0    Exp 5%
    Fuel Capacity 50,000 Litres    Range 15.2 billion km   (43 days at full power)

Size 4 Missile Launcher (75% Reduction) (10)    Missile Size 4    Rate of Fire 240
    Missile Fire Control FC84-R30 (1)     Range 84.1m km    Resolution 30
    Long Range Size 4 Anti-ship Missile (81)
    Speed: 15,000 km/s   End: 93.7m    Range: 84.4m km   WH: 4    Size: 4    TH: 50 / 30 / 15
    Short Range Size 4 Anti-ship Missile (30)
    Speed: 25,000 km/s   End: 18.7m    Range: 28.1m km   WH: 4    Size: 4    TH: 83 / 50 / 25

Active Search Sensor MR81-R50 (1)     GPS 7200     Range 81.5m km    Resolution 50

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes
    ----
    Conservations with Saros and the UNGA in IRC led to the Assassin class being refined to the Assassin B proposal.

code:
    Assassin B class Missile Frigate    7 350 tons     694 Crew     1165.96 BP      TCS 147  TH 567  EM 0
    5142 km/s     Armour 5-33     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 4     PPV 24
    Maint Life 4.16 Years     MSP 397    AFR 108%    IFR 1.5%    1YR 37    5YR 552    Max Repair 80 MSP
    Magazine 326    

Ion Engine E8.8 (12)    Power 63    Fuel Use 88%    Signature 47.25    Armour 0    Exp 7%
    Fuel Capacity 150 000 Litres    Range 41.7 billion km   (93 days at full power)

Size 4 Missile Launcher (6)    Missile Size 4    Rate of Fire 60
    UN/SGM-21 Comet Missile Director (2)     Range 72.8m km    Resolution 40
    S4 Sprite  Missile (83)  Speed: 33 000 km/s   End: 22.7m    Range: 45m km   WH: 4    Size: 4    TH: 110 / 66 / 33

Active Search Sensor MR51-R65 (1)     GPS 5200     Range 51.6m km    Resolution 65

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes
    With an ion missile proposal.

code:
    SSM-10A Imp
    Missile Size: 4 MSP  (0.2 HS)     Warhead: 4    Armour: 0     Manoeuvre Rating: 10
    Speed: 33000 km/s    Endurance: 23 minutes   Range: 45.0m km
    Cost Per Missile: 3.2
    Chance to Hit: 1k km/s 330%   3k km/s 110%   5k km/s 66%   10k km/s 33%
    Materials Required:    1x Tritanium   1.95x Gallicite   Fuel x2000

Development Cost for Project: 320RP
    And the Light carrier and fighter proposed by Saros.

code:
    Leopard class Light Carrier    8 100 tons     681 Crew     1088 BP      TCS 162  TH 540  EM 0
    4444 km/s     Armour 2-35     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 4     PPV 0
    Maint Life 3.55 Years     MSP 336    AFR 131%    IFR 1.8%    1YR 41    5YR 616    Max Repair 38 MSP
    Hangar Deck Capacity 2750 tons     Magazine 165    

Ion Engine E9 75% (12)    Power 60    Fuel Use 90%    Signature 45    Armour 0    Exp 5%
    Fuel Capacity 400 000 Litres    Range 98.8 billion km   (257 days at full power)
    Size 4 F-ASM (MkII) (41)  Speed: 32 000 km/s   End: 22.5m    Range: 43.2m km   WH: 4    Size: 4    TH: 106 / 64 / 32
    code:
    Starhawk class Fighter-bomber    272 tons     4 Crew     42.06 BP      TCS 5.44  TH 36  EM 0
    6617 km/s     Armour 1-3     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 0     PPV 2.64
    Maint Life 0 Years     MSP 0    AFR 54%    IFR 0.8%    1YR 3    5YR 44    Max Repair 16 MSP
    Magazine 8    

FTR Ion Engine E900 (1)    Power 36    Fuel Use 9000%    Signature 36    Armour 0    Exp 25%
    Fuel Capacity 10 000 Litres    Range 0.7 billion km   (30 hours at full power)

Size 4 Missile Launcher (33% Reduction) (2)    Missile Size 4    Rate of Fire 2400
    Fighter MFC-S1 (1)     Range 42.1m km    Resolution 120
    Size 4 F-ASM (MkII) (2)  Speed: 32 000 km/s   End: 22.5m    Range: 43.2m km   WH: 4    Size: 4    TH: 106 / 64 / 32

quote:

Research Required:
    Techs in italics are fighter/gunboat specific, the rest we are going to have to research anyway.

Sensors:
    EM 8 4000
    Active 16 4000

Defensive:
    Composite armor 5000

Logistics:
    Crew quarter small 1000
    Command Module 2000
    Fuel Small 1000

Missiles/Kinetics:
    Warhead Strength 4 4000
    Boat Bay 1000
    Launcher size 0.75 1000
    Launcher size 0.5 2000
    Launcher size 0.33 3000

Propulsion:
    Fighter Engine 12000
    Ion Missile Drive 3000

Do we have any other competing designs, new paradigms for next gen ships.

Negative Entropy fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Oct 7, 2013

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Kommando posted:

Who really runs the United Nations Interplanetary Navy?

Are you sure that the answer isn't "no one"?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations is an Aurora like game that just came out, the combat is quite a bit like Aurora but lots better.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Baloogan posted:

Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations is an Aurora like game that just came out, the combat is quite a bit like Aurora but lots better.

Okay, you can stop shrilling for this not-so-good and horribly overpriced game now.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
The combat is like Fleet Command, not Aurora.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
So, as Kommando pointed out, now that he's become our Whip, I need a new Deputy. Post if you are interested, we have black jack and hookers here in Geneva...well not really, but we're just a short train ride to Monaco and San Mariano where they have those.

LordNagash
Dec 29, 2012
Sure, I might as well step up if nobody else applies.

Gnooble
Sep 29, 2010

Commander, make full speed to JP1 and activate your active sensor to keep watch for any unauthorized transits.

Pretty sure I run the UNIN, and I've been staying out of the discussion about these designs (other than to point out flaws when necessary) for a reason. I happen to be in favor of CIWS, but I also would prefer just straight up gauss turrets if possible. CIWS has a place, particularly on high value civilian ships, and ships which may not necessarily have other PD cover. Unfortunately, gauss tech is also M/K and since missiles are so much superior to other weapons, any RP we put into that tree until we can get a decent M/K scientist has to go to upping our missile performance for the ion fleet.

Addressing Kommando's raised points applying to UNIN in order.

We should not sell the Transport Bays to the FEAN. I was in favor of seeing what they offered for them, but since I don't think that ever happened, we can just keep them and build our own transports.

UNIN ratifies the division of powers.

I already decided in thread to go with Saros' S6 Short Range design. All of our missiles are going to be replaced for the next generation fleet, and I felt the missile offered the right balance of range, damage, and speed to be effective until we can start designing ion ordnance. Ideally the Gibraltars will hold both a devastating short range torpedo, and a long range missile, but we don't need to be building multiple missile types that will only have a year of service. We can save that RP and try to tech up a little instead.

Carriers are premature. Carriers are definitely my ultimate goal, but we need our ships to be bigger and our engines and launchers to be smaller first - this is a large investment of RP away, once our PP and MK incentives start to pay off and our research picks up, definitely head for carriers. Following from my first point, our fleet doctrine calls for a heavy missile cruiser supported by multiple classes of destroyers armed with AMMs or beams (beams includes gauss and railguns). The designs generated right now are testing the waters, no final designs can be made until we know our exact research, yard size, and situation when the time comes to lay down the first ion cruiser.

When the time comes we may end up with more designs, and BuShips may have come up with its own in-house designs for public tinkering as well.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Yeah I can't support selling FEAN troop bays although BG has hinted in IRC that they are actually well on the way to building their own transports.

As for ship design people seem to interpreting me being against something (CIWS) being incorporated into our designs as a refusal to consider it or research it. If there is a demand for and a use of something I am happy to order it researched even if I don't agree with it personally.

The Gibraltar missile will be researched after mining improvements are completed. For the next generation of ships I want to complete our offensive missile cruiser/destroyer designs (and associated research first) and then we can move onto the fleet defense ships whatever form they take. Most defense ships will need to be bigger than our current shipyards are capable of handling anyway due to needing quite big components like BFC's and AM sensors.

Saros fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Oct 8, 2013

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
Earth: Low Earth Orbit, 28th April 2035

A second Gibraltar-B is laid down at the EADS-Astrium shipyard. UNS Fredrikshavn is expected to be completed in late October.

Elsewhere, Samsung Shipbuilding announces that their commercial yard is now ready to begin producing Isaac Asimov-class jump gate construction vessels (colloquially known as "linelayers"). The first vessel of the class is laid down with an estimated completion date of 29th October.

Earth: Low Earth Orbit, 29th April 2035

The two Cape Town-class DDs assigned to DECEITFUL LIGHT, UNS Tartu and UNS Kharkiv, finish their overhauls at Callisto and will prepare to be picked up by STALKER on its first trip to Callisto.

Earth: UN HQ, Geneva, 2nd May 2035

Mitsubishi Electric delivers the last "Mercury" thermal sensor array to UNIN. The funding allocated to this project is then switched over to a production run of 10 new UN/SGM-18 "Arquebus II" missile fire controls. These are intended to go into an as-yet unordered second run of Cape Town destroyers.

Elsewhere, CMDR President of Tennis finds himself awarded a promotion and the command of the STALKER task group during the current phase of its mission.

Reports from Callisto come in indicating that the colony's supply of mercassium has run out, and thus its ability to effectively maintain the ships in orbit and in overhaul.

I have no idea why this is happening. I have the reserve for mercassium set at 100 tons, which should prevent any from being shipped off via mass driver. I'm investigating, but for now you'll need to shuttle some out to Callisto or turn off the mass driver.

Finally, a new academy recruit joins the ranks of UNIN flag officers. With a strong background in xenoarchaeological studies, CMDR Space Shadowing is immediately assigned to Commodore Tomas Boen's team studying Belnar artifacts from Mars.

Officer Stat Increases
  • CMDR Xir, Fleet Movement Initiative Rating: 227 -> 249 (+22)
  • CMDR President of Tennis, Fleet Movement Initiative Rating: 177 -> 180 (+3)

Gnooble
Sep 29, 2010

Commander, make full speed to JP1 and activate your active sensor to keep watch for any unauthorized transits.

I request that UNRL deliver additional mercassium immediately or shut down the mass driver until we find out what caused the shortage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Regarding the troop transport bays, I'm going to quote myself on the economic benefit they hold to us intrinsically:

Coolguye posted:

We would have to see what Fred would be willing to give for them, but as free ship components they are worth 20 Duranium, 10 Neutronium, 20 Mercassium apiece. Presuming I'm not mistaken and that also equates to 50 BP per, that would be 160 D, 80 N, and 160 M for the lot, plus 400 BP (which is enough BP to build 3.33 Construction Factories from scratch). Plus 400m Euros, of course.

So the economic value to us, as they are now, is not huge but it's also a nice little windfall.

These transport bays WILL be used with our upcoming Lictor revamps so this is not a theoretical thing at all. If anyone intends to entertain the idea of selling any of the bays to the Federation or Cornucopia (who have also expressed an interest) you should keep this in mind.

• Locked thread