Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
whats a good alien invasion book thats not as boring as the three body problem but just as “realistic”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
Aliens are only here because they heard about Atlanta strip clubs.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

scary ghost dog posted:

whats a good alien invasion book thats not as boring as the three body problem but just as “realistic”

someone else just said it but childhoods end

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Or maybe they're gonna terraform the deserts to forests to stop climate change

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I didint read a single word of this bullshit. You have ruined this entire sub. I'm not sure if I'm upset or impressed lol

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

A MIRACLE posted:

I didint read a single word of this bullshit. You have ruined this entire sub. I'm not sure if I'm upset or impressed lol

vote!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

PawParole posted:

"She said that there are only 7 planets in the whole world that are like the earth where the dominant life form has the simple problems. She called them the simple problems, not me. She didn’t tell me a list of the simple problems, but she told me some of them that were prayer and faith healing and churches and sorcery and magic and all that kind of stuff, mostly all stuff about religion. And of those 7, she said there were only 3 where people experienced deja vu, or believe in prophecies, or that worship idols. We are one of those three and that’s why the Friends of Friends are here. That’s why the others were here, too, and that’s why the next group is coming in July. Gina says that they know that the whole world isn’t really what it looks like but it’s actually the creation of a single intelligence and that we and everything exist inside that intelligence. I asked her if it was like the Matrix and then I explained to her what that was and she said it wasn’t like that at all and so then I asked her if was like when that hospital show ended and it turned out to all be a kid imagining it in a snow globe and she said it wasn’t like that either. But she said that it’s the one thing that everyone in the world agrees on, all these thousands and thousands of advanced civilizations, they apparently all have proof that the world is imaginary or a dream or a computer program or something. And they study earth and the two other planets like it because they are pretty sure that these three planets and the intelligent life on them are either mistakes, like accidents, or else one of them might be the center of the whole thing and everything else is a mistake or an accident. They want to figure out which is which so that they can better understand the intelligence that creates the world."

That grey alien puppet interview upthread tries so hard to be weird and sublime in the right way and fails utterly with the "we evolved on Earth and came back in time to learn how the humans died" thing. It's too linear and explains too much. This one gets the weird sublime exactly right. It has to be incomprehensible and have weird details like the alien basically describing the plot of The Matrix, then the guy explaining what The Matrix is, and then the alien getting confused and saying that it's not remotely close even though what she describes is basically The Matrix.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

A MIRACLE posted:

says user "Dom_Telong"... if that is your real name :tinfoil:

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

The Saucer Hovers posted:

someone else just said it but childhoods end

already read that one but its the kind of book im looking for

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

scary ghost dog posted:

Brother Termite is a good one, by Patricia Anthony

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol

scary ghost dog posted:

blindsight isnt quite invasion but its nice and it has a funny vampire man

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

endocriminologist posted:

blindsight isnt quite invasion but its nice and it has a funny vampire man

ive read that too and its not what i want at all

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

i did my best to make a great post and this is the thanks i get...

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Jetto Jagga posted:

Brother Termite is a good one, by Patricia Anthony

thank you. in return i recommend “quarantine” by greg egan

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

scary ghost dog posted:

Roadside Picnic/The Doomed City by the Strugatsky Brothers, Blindsight/Echopraxia by Peter Watts, The Sirens of Titan by Vonnegut

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

most of stanislaw lem stuff isnt about invasion but its very good

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

the department of energy is the only organization in the US govt with an explicit paramilitary unit, (plenty other de facto ones, though) prepared to do literally anything to recover/secure DOE materiel

they just expect to devastate any area they may have to operate in, and lose about half of their force doing so, given who (or what?????) they would have to deal with

civilian groups have tried to get nuclear material/centers away from populated areas, because of the indiscriminate shelling/destruction they would likely engage in

DOE is up to poo poo

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Did anybody listen to the Terry Lovelace thing? It's a guy who's good at telling a campfire story stringing along some credulous rubes who don't get it:

https://www.astonishinglegends.com/al-podcasts/2019/10/13/ep-155-abduction-at-devils-den

The only thing I'd change is that he doesn't follow the prompt given at the end to consider that the spacecraft he was taken to with people in weird military uniforms was either in the future or in a parallel Earth. He also can't decide whether the initial abduction story and aftermath or the story about continuing to see alien poo poo is the core of his narrative, but he knows how to hook his listeners.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Did anybody listen to the Terry Lovelace thing? It's a guy who's good at telling a campfire story stringing along some credulous rubes who don't get it:

https://www.astonishinglegends.com/al-podcasts/2019/10/13/ep-155-abduction-at-devils-den

The only thing I'd change is that he doesn't follow the prompt given at the end to consider that the spacecraft he was taken to with people in weird military uniforms was either in the future or in a parallel Earth. He also can't decide whether the initial abduction story and aftermath or the story about continuing to see alien poo poo is the core of his narrative, but he knows how to hook his listeners.

You posted this this morning didn't you

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

You posted this this morning didn't you

I didn't want it to get lost on the transition to a new page. It is repeated content.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Roadside Picnic/The Doomed City by the Strugatsky Brothers, Blindsight/Echopraxia by Peter Watts, The Sirens of Titan by Vonnegut

roadside picnic is awesome

Zisky
May 6, 2003

X-files S1 needs more aliens

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016

scary ghost dog posted:

http://www.infinityplus.co.uk/stories/colderwar.htm

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

scary ghost dog posted:

Read Footfall

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Zisky posted:

X-files S1 needs more aliens

The more an inscrutable presence becomes known in a narrative, the less interesting it is. X-Files season one and two thread that needle perfectly and are about a slow descent into something wild and dark and big that doesn't really have any borders yet. Once the story stops expanding and has to start laying out the form of things, it gets less good.

There are shows that are good at growing and developing and there are shows that stake out some clear boundaries and develop naturally within them. Lost and Game of Thrones were good at growing, and something like Babylon 5 was good at staking out the boundaries and working within what it establishes.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

'Oumaumua was definitely alien in origin im convinced

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The more an inscrutable presence becomes known in a narrative, the less interesting it is. X-Files season one and two thread that needle perfectly and are about a slow descent into something wild and dark and big that doesn't really have any borders yet. Once the story stops expanding and has to start laying out the form of things, it gets less good.

There are shows that are good at growing and developing and there are shows that stake out some clear boundaries and develop naturally within them. Lost and Game of Thrones were good at growing, and something like Babylon 5 was good at staking out the boundaries and working within what it establishes.

Put another way, so long as Mulder has saucer-sized blue balls about alien encounter evidence, the show is in good
when it gets into the "aliens are real and here is an ancient conspiracy" it's less fun

Zisky
May 6, 2003

my bony fealty posted:

What's the most recent sighting? Maybe it was picking the tictacs up.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

my bony fealty posted:

it's full of whales

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Soulfucker posted:

Read Footfall

Footfall would own without all the lovely right wing milita parts

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
Velocities are all relative but I liked how Avi Loeb described it as being largely motionless compared to average motion of everything around and we zoomed by 'Oumaumua as opposed to the other way around.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

Yeah I get it, I don't hate the non-alien episodes at all. I just also have saucer sized alien blue balls right now.

Watching a couple of episodes at night with the lights off before we go to sleep is starting to make my wife a little paranoid, lol

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

In those early seasons, there's a lot of extra alien stuff that's unconnected with the main grey alien plot that develops. Other than the first season finale episode, I'm not sure any of the alien stuff is connected to the main plot, even when smoking man is there.

Ross DaouThot
Aug 31, 2018

when i hit that loud and open cspam the adam curtis music starts playing

Delta-Wye posted:

Velocities are all relative but I liked how Avi Loeb described it as being largely motionless compared to average motion of everything around and we zoomed by 'Oumaumua as opposed to the other way around.

ok that’s way cooler

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

The Saucer Hovers posted:

my favorite alien posting larp was the one in gbs where the alien said the only interesting thing about earth was the quality and amount of capsaicin our peppers and they were hyped to take some spicy food home. sure the alien would have to be a mammal but theres just something so wholesome about it.

i love the idea that the aliens are really into bluegrass lmfaoo

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

the department of energy is the only organization in the US govt with an explicit paramilitary unit, (plenty other de facto ones, though) prepared to do literally anything to recover/secure DOE materiel

they just expect to devastate any area they may have to operate in, and lose about half of their force doing so, given who (or what?????) they would have to deal with

civilian groups have tried to get nuclear material/centers away from populated areas, because of the indiscriminate shelling/destruction they would likely engage in

DOE is up to poo poo

Fwiw this is more because they have to prevent nuclear material being stolen at all costs, you can't just go aw fudge! casualties are too heavy, let the proud boys have the nuke we're pullin' out! when it comes to this stuff

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Delta-Wye posted:

yep

just this big weird space structure sitting there like nothing we've ever seen before and somehow in all the vastness of interstellar space we manage to pass right by it :cthulhu:

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

That grey alien puppet interview upthread tries so hard to be weird and sublime in the right way and fails utterly with the "we evolved on Earth and came back in time to learn how the humans died" thing. It's too linear and explains too much. This one gets the weird sublime exactly right. It has to be incomprehensible and have weird details like the alien basically describing the plot of The Matrix, then the guy explaining what The Matrix is, and then the alien getting confused and saying that it's not remotely close even though what she describes is basically The Matrix.

yeah, if you tortured the average dominos employee dude and stole away his adopted niece and gave his best friend cancer, I don't think they would be off the DM-5.

the fact that redditors think this is a larp because the aliens didn't tell him about the super-secret science makes it even more believable. how many biologists tell sharks they catch about how motors work?

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

i always try to tell sharks some good facts but their brain is smooth in every direction :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Justin Tyme posted:

Fwiw this is more because they have to prevent nuclear material being stolen at all costs, you can't just go aw fudge! casualties are too heavy, let the proud boys have the nuke we're pullin' out! when it comes to this stuff
i get it, totally

it's just wild

the atomwaffe can't be allowed to get gravitational drives