Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Wow totally not cool guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

quote:

Omnitron-X stood in the corner, typing various calculations into a hovering holo-screen. He seemed unaware of the other heroes walking towards him.

"Robot," growled Haka. "We'd have words with you." Omnitron turned and his body took on a happy, welcoming stance.

"How may I serve you, friends?" he asked. Legacy and Wraith flanked the big hero and they seemed to surround their robotic ally. As they were about to pounce, Guise shifted into form in front of them, taking the shape of a brick wall.

"Wait wait wait!" he cried. "You guys! This is our robot operating buddy! This is our fiberoptic friend! Our P2P pal to the end! I can vouch for him! He's good!" Legacy, as usual, was unamused by Guise's rantings. He gently pushed Guise aside and grabbed Omnitron. The steel in his hands shimmered, the holographic disguise reacting to the metal and weakening in the presence of the mythical Legacy Ring. Legacy realized his hands were not on the shoulders of Omnitron, but of BARON BLADE!

"So," the Baron smiled. "You lot seem to have had an easy run of things. Can't be too upset, though, about the outcome. Even if you beat me up, throw me in jail, whatever - I'll still get out. Your friends will still be hurt, missing, or worse. Where's Chrono Ranger? Sky-Scraper? Will Tachyon ever be the same again? Even if I lose, I've scarred you all as much as you've scarred me!" The heroes were unimpressed.

"Wait- so you're NOT a robot?" asked Guise.

Baron Blade laughed as Legacy tossed him to the ground, angrily. Suddenly, the air around him swirled with a mystical aura: Nightmist, the woman he'd helped Miss Information replace. The magician detective appeared before him, her body flowing with eldritch power.

"We took care of you, woman!" the Baron cried.

"You didn't finish the job," she replied. "Luckily, even though you think you struck a blow, at the end of the day: good always prevails. Those you hurt will return, I've seen to it, and they'll be stronger than ever, awaiting your next scheme. The Sentinels of this planet will always be ready if you try again. But I think you should have some incentive to... not." With a wave of her hands, Nightmist cast her planar banishment spell, casting the Baron into another dimension.

With time, the heroes would heal - Chrono Ranger found his way back the present, and Sky-Scraper regained control of her powers. Even the Visionary finally awoke from her slumber. The heroes had overcome the forces of evil and as always would stand for truth, justice, and freedom!

Hal Incandenza aka Baron Blade (Villain-Aligned) has been incapacitated.

Game Over - Sentinels Win!

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Man, I really got paranoid at the end there.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

quote:

"But I got a Sentinel-Aligned result," sighed Guise, sipping a coffee in a local cafe. "Was he a Godfather? Was I an insane cop? I mean, if I'm a cop, of course I'm an insane one. Hey, Little Mac! Make with the moddoc, will ya? I'm dying to know!"

Mod Doc
Design Doc (All powers and cards)
Scum Doc

So yes, everyone had a deck of three cards - mostly to not drive me insane with creating powers. I can go a little in-depth into how some of the heroes were designed in another post if you're interested. In all, while it's possible the heroes were a LITTLE more overpowered than the villains, nailing two of the three right off the bat gave the town a fairly insurmountable advantage. Outing the cop/doc early was actually really helpful! I'd love to hear your thoughts.

I hope you guys had fun - I know some of this game was a slog and I was bad with keeping with some of the deadlines, this last one included. I wanted to do something a little different - as per usual - and I loved a lot of the discussion in the last few days!

You guys are awesome.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
GJ friends.

Sorry I killed discussion D2 with my cop result and then things kinda stagnated for a while

I just got really lucky, cause I think if I had come back with a town result on someone, nobody would have believed me.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Fun game, and I like the mechanic! Thanks for the game mac

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Tremendous Taste posted:

Fun game, and I like the mechanic! Thanks for the game mac

Yeah, LM, great game.

Sorry I got all paranoid at the end there Taste. You were freaking me out and I figured that Podima blocked both me and Hal.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

It's all good. I've certainly been there many times before

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Thanks for running the game Little Mac! I agree the balance felt skewed toward town, but maybe it just looked that way because we got lucky on earlier nights.

No hard feelings about that last day, TMM. Like you I tend to get paranoid at the end of games, and really wanted to close this one out for town.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
TNL and Dok were exactly right - I opted to not block Dok because I felt that I would be a distraction to town if I lived through the night after roleblocking 3 people, as there was still no way to concretely confirm me as town at that point and your attention was better focused elsewhere. I blocked TMM and Hal as the two scummiest people, and I was right!

P.S. TMM holy poo poo, you had awful luck with your masonries this game.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

The Ninth Layer posted:

Thanks for running the game Little Mac! I agree the balance felt skewed toward town, but maybe it just looked that way because we got lucky on earlier nights.

No hard feelings about that last day, TMM. Like you I tend to get paranoid at the end of games, and really wanted to close this one out for town.

No it's all good. I had to be like extra paranoid too because I can't believe I literally visited or tried to visit basically every single NK target except for N3.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

I'm flattered that you fear me enough to kill me Quid. But also sad. :(

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Podima posted:

TNL and Dok were exactly right - I opted to not block Dok because I felt that I would be a distraction to town if I lived through the night after roleblocking 3 people, as there was still no way to concretely confirm me as town at that point and your attention was better focused elsewhere. I blocked TMM and Hal as the two scummiest people, and I was right!

P.S. TMM holy poo poo, you had awful luck with your masonries this game.

I was actually quite honest when I said if you had roleblocked me/Hal/Dok, I wouldn't have voted for you the next day.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

TMMadman posted:

I was actually quite honest when I said if you had roleblocked me/Hal/Dok, I wouldn't have voted for you the next day.

Fair - I'm not sure I would have believed that, but either way I made the call that I was better off dead at that point in the game for the good of town.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I never even considered that you would only block two people and let yourself get killed, Podima. I couldn't reconcile Doktor Per's kill going through with you using a 3-block and couldn't quite buy that Per would use an unblockable kill on you like that instead of using it earlier on Taste or me.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Great job town! Great job LM!

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

I am so surprised this lasted as long as this did considering the scum team was lurksauce city.

MAJOR bad luck with the combo of being fingered by the cop N1 and then being gone all weekend after it was outed - I came home exhausted, saw I was at -1, kneejerked, saw I had gotten named as scum, and was just like "welp, gently caress, I give up." Had no energy to fight at that point especially since people had already decided that was the case. NOT TRUE I WAS GONE!

I guess we could have tried to kill Asiina N1 but my thought was that she was almost certainly going to get the doc protect so, what was the point. But oh well~

Good job town!

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

You guys got hosed by night actions, if that had happened to my team I would have given up too.

FWIW I did block Asiina night 1, decided I couldn't afford to protect myself and be the doctor that didn't protect the claimed cop.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
P.S. The game was really cool, thanks for running LM! I love Sentinels' flavor, so it was neat that you worked that in. P.S. Here's the depressing death flavor I got:

quote:

You run at full speed and then, in a flurry of swift movements, stop Omintron and Legacy in their tracks. You're not sure if you can trust either of them, but as you stop to catch your breath you see a looming shadow over you. Haka screams in a rage - he thinks you're the traitor! He must!

"HAKA, N-" is all you can shout. You could outrun the blow, but you don't believe your friend could strike you.

You're wrong.

I think balance-wise, maybe letting the scumteam all start with a card drawn already might help balance out a pretty beefy town? Just a random thought.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

The Ninth Layer posted:

You guys got hosed by night actions, if that had happened to my team I would have given up too.

Yeah having been in this exact situation in Splatoonfia, kudos to you guys for sticking it out.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

The Ninth Layer posted:

I never even considered that you would only block two people and let yourself get killed, Podima. I couldn't reconcile Doktor Per's kill going through with you using a 3-block and couldn't quite buy that Per would use an unblockable kill on you like that instead of using it earlier on Taste or me.

To be perfectly fair and transparent, at the time I sent in the night action orders I was also pretty heated up and frustrated at TMM and didn't really feel like going through another day of the same. It's demoralizing to fullclaim, drop a (perfectly correct!) case on someone for being scummy as hell, and still have someone implacably pushing for your lynch!

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I actually think this is probably a game that could have handled 4 scum.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Podima posted:

To be perfectly fair and transparent, at the time I sent in the night action orders I was also pretty heated up and frustrated at TMM and didn't really feel like going through another day of the same. It's demoralizing to fullclaim, drop a (perfectly correct!) case on someone for being scummy as hell, and still have someone implacably pushing for your lynch!

:)

Sorry, I was completely gearing up into paranoid mode at that point. I mean I had spent the game almost desperately trying to get a masonry started with someone and I just kept targeting the NK.

The only two people I wouldn't have gone after were TNL and PMom, although towards the end I was starting to rethink TNL.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

TMMadman posted:

:)

Sorry, I was completely gearing up into paranoid mode at that point. I mean I had spent the game almost desperately trying to get a masonry started with someone and I just kept targeting the NK.

The only two people I wouldn't have gone after were TNL and PMom, although towards the end I was starting to rethink TNL.

On the plus side, your situation made me think of a really interesting scum role I might have to use for another setup someday! So there's that.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Thought process for each hero:

Legacy - Had to have him. His power in the card game is more about being a leader, so I felt a mason recruiter that could boost his allies worked well.
Parse - Needed a normal cop. Her cards were fairly powerful, but I felt a cop power was more useful than wasting a night drawing cops and most sensible players would never discover the powerful cards unless someone helped her out.
Wraith - Wraith's Stealth ability in the card game matched well with need for a town doctor. Wraith's cards were all just more powerful protects for the most part, operating under the same "might never draw them" idea as Parse.

Once I got those three, I hit the rest of the heroes up.

Argent Adept - My favorite character to play in the card game, so I wanted him in. He's all about comboing powers and doing crazy stuff so I gave him kind of out there abilities. If Rhapsody of Vigor had been played I would have 100% mod-confirmed on threat of Toxx that Taste was town. No room for squirming.

Tachyon - Another favorite, her mechanic in the card game was mostly about having certain cards in her own discard pile. With the smaller decks, I instead made her major gamechanger (Lightspeed Barrage) dependent on the entire game's discard pile - she was given updates on it nightly, but really anyone could have asked. Her own power would've allowed her to make other people drop their cards, strengthening Lightspeed Barrage.

Chrono-Ranger - A very cool hero in the card game but focused on damaging others, which doesn't fit well. His main ability pretty much sucks for a town player, so all of his good stuff is in his cards - but there's a damned vig hiding in there, so, like, yeah.

Haka - The Hulk of the Sentinels universe, big and burly but not a town doctor equivalent, so I made him more tied into the card mechanic. Obviously, however, his more useful abilities also lie in his deck. Ground Pound was the real star, possibly giving the town two lynches in a row.

The Visionary - The lynchpin for the whole drawing mechanic and in retrospect a flawed design. She's meant to be an empowerer essentially, but giving cards. There was, however, no incentive for her to use her main ability other than empowering others when the promise of cards to come lay in wait. She was supposed to help get cards into both the hero and villain hands to give everyone more choice. That said, we never got to see it anyway!

Guise - Like a shapeshifting Deadpool, I liked his card game ability to mimic powers and thought it was cool here. Like Parse and the Wraith, had ultra-powerful cards hiding behind a really useful ability.

Sky-Scraper - The last character I designed. Her card game counterpart has three modes each with different innate abilities and I wanted my version to have that as well, so each card has a one-shot action that also changed her mode and inherent ability. Thoratian Monolith, essentially a three-way Gladiator ability, is my fave of the bunch and one I'm sad we didn't see used.

Baron Blade - I have a Godfather about 90% of the time. I just find them to be a real damned useful scum ability, however in this game scum had to ACTIVATE Godfather - it wasn't a passive. Blade and his cards are mostly about making him and his allies stronger and less detectable. Using his Godfather ability on the night he was investigated spared him a few days, but couldn't delay the inevitable forever. I also came up with the majority of the Omnitron-X fakeclaim, though Hal altered it a bit. That fakeclaim closely matches how Omnitron works in the card game, but would be pretty wildly overpowerful in this one.

Fright Train - Had mostly lame cards and a fairly lame inherent ability. He mostly existed to be an easy choice to make the nightkill.

Miss Information - All about confusing the town. A framer ability is pretty powerful in and of itself, but she also had a janitor inside her deck and a three-target card-block which could have been useful to continue sewing confusion.

----

Perhaps the villains could have used something better - maybe a fourth member?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Some comments on balance:

It didn't come into play so much, but I think scum would have been in real trouble for a massclaim. Hal sorta BS'd his way through it and it helped that he had an investigation, or he may have been voted out day 4. Neither of the other two scum had claimable abilities or anything they could demonstrate.

Scum needed a roleblock in this game. Cop/doc/watcher are tough roles to fight without one, throw in PMom's role copy and the setup became downright unmanageable.

Taste's role was too strong and I think my role was on the strong side. The drawback Taste's role had was offset by the huge power of a watcher that only sees the nightkiller. If Taste had seen Pint, TMM and Opop all target Asiina it would have been a very different day 3. My role was better than a regular doctor's because it was confirmable. PMom had a night of getting blocked by my role and it essentially confirmed our night actions to each other.

I think the mason recruiter would have been better for scum than the loved player. Being able to make yourself loved is a super strong ability and one that any scum team would love to have in lylo, but it wasn't a practical role or one that player would have an easy time claiming. Mason recruiting is a nice way to convince other players you're on the level, and it's also a night action that can be easily claimed and demonstrated.

Finally in a role-heavy setup like this, I wouldn't be opposed to scum being able to kill on top of using their night actions, or at least on top of drawing a card. If you're the last scum left and you have a cool ability, it sucks not to be able to use it because you need to make kills to have a chance of winning. Hal didn't have an ability that could have broken the circle of protecting/watching that PMom, Taste and I could do, but even if he did have an ability he wouldn't have been able to use it.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

^^Agreed with the majority of this

Podima posted:

I think balance-wise, maybe letting the scumteam all start with a card drawn already might help balance out a pretty beefy town? Just a random thought.

Also a good idea!

And I love writing personalized death flavor. It is my whole deal.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Podima posted:

My one regret is that I didn't get to the thread in time to tell Doktor Per not to kill you. I thought you were town and wanted to keep your ability around to lock out kills, and the math of killing you that night (dropping player count fro 7 to 6) was bad for the town. By the time I thought to post it the hammer had been dropped so I couldn't say anything.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I agree with TNL. Part of the reason I was freaking out at the end was because town seem completely overpowered compared to scum and I just kept expecting a curveball.

As I said in game, town had a doctor that blocked, a person who could copy that doctor AND a town roleblocker. I really was assuming there was some kind of permanent way to get around blocks.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

From my perspective it was as simple as: if scum had an ability like that they would have already used it, but they never did, so I figured they didn't have an ability like that. I didn't think both Asiina and I would survive night 1, if scum could have I'm sure they would have liked to block me and kill Asiina instead of risking a 50/50 that one of us was protected.

Aafter
Apr 14, 2009

A is for After.
You guys are jerks!

Any pointers?

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Aafter posted:

You guys are jerks!

Any pointers?

You did well at not ragequitting :v: It's pretty common to get voted out your first game. Best thing you can do is remember that being town means you don't have to give a crap about what you post, and being less afraid/nervous to post goes a long way to helping your game presence. Scum traditionally comes off as nervous/calculating in what they post, or otherwise insincere. The majority of the cases presented on you were to do with your lurking/lack of analysis, which could easily correlate to scum or nervous newbie.

You should play in more Mafia games! :) Here's the New Game Announcement thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3743445 and here is another game currently taking signups: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3764598

Doktor Per
Feb 26, 2007

Look guys, I'm a lady!
This was a really fun game. My heart goes out to the scum who fought an uphill battle with grace and poise.

Aafter posted:

You guys are jerks!

Any pointers?

I agree with Pod. Last game I was in, I was considered scum for most of it and I know the frustration. My biggest pointer is to break through the fear of posting or even shitposting. I'm a major lurker by habit and these games get me to come out of my cybershell more.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Doktor Per posted:

This was a really fun game. My heart goes out to the scum who fought an uphill battle with grace and poise.

I agree with Pod. Last game I was in, I was considered scum for most of it and I know the frustration. My biggest pointer is to break through the fear of posting or even shitposting. I'm a major lurker by habit and these games get me to come out of my cybershell more.

Yeah I'm really glad you signed up for this game after your long slog in the soldiers game, my :swoon: was genuine!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Oh also Aafter, you may notice that immediately after the game ended, we were all chiming in with 'good game, no hard feelings' - that's pretty much the norm. As the Mafia discussion thread puts it, this is a game where we call each other idiots in the name of fun. It requires a bit of a thick skin to get through without taking it personally, but that builds up over time. :)

Doktor Per
Feb 26, 2007

Look guys, I'm a lady!
Yeah. In my book Aafter is a class act.

Podima posted:

Yeah I'm really glad you signed up for this game after your long slog in the soldiers game, my :swoon: was genuine!
:glomp: I was genuinely upset when I sent in my action to take you out. And when I got my flav...

In a rage, you rush after Tachyon, perhaps thinking her one of the traitors. You hold your arms high to deliver a monstrous blow - she doesn't move. Either she's a fraud or she's your friend and she doesn't believe you would strike her. You let loose your fist and strike her down. She's out.
:smith:

but I really liked playing the soldiers game, and I think the lengthiness and the uphill battleness of it once my lurking got me in trouble, did me real good. It was really good having familiar faces here.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
drat that flavor. Little Mac rules.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Podima posted:

drat that flavor. Little Mac rules.

He does.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I like the card mechanic idea, but I think it doesn't work if the primary powers are too powerful.

If I'm drawing a card instead of using my power, I'm better that whatever card I draw will be better than using my power two nights in a row - the night I'm drawing the card instead of using my power, and the night I'm using the card instead of using my power. That's a huge investment, and if my power is any good at all, not a risk I'm going to take.

Anarc's role would have helped with that, of course, but I think overall something could be done to shift the night actions towards having players interact with the card deck. Maybe primary powers could have been toned down, or players could have had some indication of what cards could do, or there could have been a small bonus to the draw a card action - something like "watch someone, you get to see who kills them, OR draw a card + watch someone and receive the number of people who visited them". Just anything to make drawing a card feel better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I definitely considered at one point telling each player the contents of their deck. Might have helped the risk/reward aspect of drawing.

• Locked thread