Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Have you pulled all of your actual reports for free from annualcreditreport.com? In theory it shouldn't be any different for Transunion and Equifax that you're already getting from CreditKarma, but it can't hurt.

Yes and I remember seeing the late payments on those reports, that's why I thought it was weird. I'll have to comb through them more thoroughly when I have some time tomorrow night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

they say I haven't made any late payments on anything when I know for a fact that my Verizon bill sometimes got neglected for a month (they list my payment history as good/great)?

Late payments don't necessarily show up on your credit report. The company needs to report them as late, and I assume that Verizon has a window of opportunity before they rat you out.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

Thesaurus posted:

Late payments don't necessarily show up on your credit report. The company needs to report them as late, and I assume that Verizon has a window of opportunity before they rat you out.

I think a lot of telecom companies won't even charge a fee/interest if you pay within a week or two of your bill due date. 30 days late likely wouldn't be reported. I'd say 60 days would.

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?

Peanut3141 posted:

APS + two-story?

I'm SRP and 1700 sqft single-level and rarely exceed $200. Covering all the windows with 90% rejection sunscreens helped a fair amount.

APS, single story. 1900 sq ft. The guy who previously owned our house owned a Dairy Queen. When he closed the restaurant he took the commercial heat pump from the restaurant and installed it at the house. It's effin huge and 17 years old and broke down four times last summer. It does cool down the house nearly instantly when it works. It's on my priority list to get it replaced, I just want I get out of other debt before I take on a $6k+ replacement. I don't have many windows on the north side, and the south side is covered by a large patio overhang, but I will check those screens out.

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

Drunk Beekeeper posted:

APS, single story. 1900 sq ft. The guy who previously owned our house owned a Dairy Queen. When he closed the restaurant he took the commercial heat pump from the restaurant and installed it at the house. It's effin huge and 17 years old and broke down four times last summer. It does cool down the house nearly instantly when it works. It's on my priority list to get it replaced, I just want I get out of other debt before I take on a $6k+ replacement. I don't have many windows on the north side, and the south side is covered by a large patio overhang, but I will check those screens out.

That'd definitely do it. An oversized unit is an efficiency disaster.

Basically on the hottest 120-degree days you want your A/C to run nearly continuously to maintain the desired temperature. Units are least efficient on startup; the longer the cycle the better the efficiency. Something that runs short and "cools down the house nearly instantly" is the antithesis of that.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Thesaurus posted:

Oh they'll charge a fee, but you are correct, it doesn't get reported at all unless the account is cancelled due to non pay, then it goes to collections. That is also why the whole "cell phone bills build credit" notion is a myth.

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Peanut3141 posted:

That'd definitely do it. An oversized unit is an efficiency disaster.

Basically on the hottest 120-degree days you want your A/C to run nearly continuously to maintain the desired temperature. Units are least efficient on startup; the longer the cycle the better the efficiency. Something that runs short and "cools down the house nearly instantly" is the antithesis of that.

I thought I learned in heat transfer & thermodynamics classes that it's actually more efficient to have the unit cycling on and off rather than staying always on at a single temperature. Not that I'm suggesting a dairy queen sized unit is efficient for a house.

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

Blinky2099 posted:

I thought I learned in heat transfer & thermodynamics classes that it's actually more efficient to have the unit cycling on and off rather than staying always on at a single temperature. Not that I'm suggesting a dairy queen sized unit is efficient for a house.

It's been my experience that steady-state operations are more efficient for mechanical systems. As I understand it that's part of the reason why Hybrids get such great gas mileage. The gas engine works in its high-efficiency zone as much as possible, with the electrical system moderating the power demand.

At any rate, here's my source for the claim that short-cycling is inefficient and longer cycles result in greater efficiency:
http://www.energystar.gov/ia/home_improvement/home_sealing/RightSized_AirCondFS_2005.pdf

That being said, I never took thermo in college. So if there's some counterintuitive effect I don't know about, by all means educate me.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
So I actually got my FICO score today, and it's quite a bit higher than what credit karma claims it is. Makes me feel better.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

So I actually got my FICO score today, and it's quite a bit higher than what credit karma claims it is. Makes me feel better.
Humm, interesting. I haven't ever pulled my FICO score as I don't want to pay for it and I haven't applied for a mortgage. But my actual TransUnion score in January was about ~40pts lower than my CK VantageScore3 TransUnion score showed. I wonder what my real FICO score is...

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

SiGmA_X posted:

Humm, interesting. I haven't ever pulled my FICO score as I don't want to pay for it and I haven't applied for a mortgage. But my actual TransUnion score in January was about ~40pts lower than my CK VantageScore3 TransUnion score showed. I wonder what my real FICO score is...

My FICO is 50 points higher than what CK told me. I got my FICO for free from the credit union I belong to.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
What's the best thread to pose a financial budgeting/planning question? Circumstances are changing and I need help figuring out how I should spread around my income every month. My monthly expenses are going up and I lost my 401k because my new job doesn't offer one, so I'm kinda stuck now and in need of a new budget...

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Here. If a different thread is ultimately better suited, we'll point you there.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Alright, so I changed jobs last December to one that doesn't offer a 401K, and I'll be moving in May resulting in my rent increasing to about $1050/mo (all inclusive, but I'm actually paying my girlfriend rent since she's buying a condo with help from her parents).

Here's how I've been budgeting things out since I changed jobs:

Rent+utils+Internet: $575/mo
Car Payment: $330/mo
Savings: $1100/mo

This leaves me with about $1200/mo for all other expenses, including gas, food, and going out/video games/whatever else isn't covered. It's not uncommon for me to have money left over every month since I don't usually buy a lot of stuff - I typically dump this excess money into a "temporary savings" slush fund that I dip into when I want to splurge on something big.

Here's what the new budget will probably look like with the same job:

Rent+Utils+Internet: $1050/mo
Car Payment: $330/mo
Savings: $625

I'm reducing my savings contributions to make up for the $475 increase in my rent, so I'll still have about $1200/mo for all other expenses. Realistically I'll probably cut back and try to keep my spending to under $1000/mo and dump the rest into my slush fund to hopefully continue not having to pull from savings to cover stuff like car insurance ($670 every six months).

There's still the issue of 401K contributions. I went from contributing $267/mo with an 80% match from my employer, to no 401K contributions at all. I currently have a bit more than $16,000 in the 401K from my last job, but I haven't paid anything else into it since changing jobs. I'm thinking about putting in ~$300/mo into a Roth IRA but I dread only being able to dump about $300/mo into my savings/emergency fund so I've been stalling in favor of stockpiling money instead. I'm definitely going to cross-post this part to the retirement megathread because I have some other stuff I need to work out over there.

Anyway how does my revised budget look? Rent and car payment aren't all that flexible obviously, but I'm still left with about $1800/mo to divy up between savings and everything else. Do I look like I'm on the right path?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
If you're nervous about funding your emergency fund less you can always forgo the Roth IRA for now, keep saving, then just fund as much as you are comfortable with up to the max before the deadline for 2015 (Tax day, 2016) from your savings. You might end up having way more in the emergency fund than you think you'll need by then.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
What is the current best place to park around 150k that you might end up needing quick access to? CDs are out due to the quick access part. I guess I am somewhat risk adverse also so probably the question is regarding something with a guaranteed rate of return. I know it is probably really loving low but better than under a mattress.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Demonachizer posted:

What is the current best place to park around 150k that you might end up needing quick access to? CDs are out due to the quick access part. I guess I am somewhat risk adverse also so probably the question is regarding something with a guaranteed rate of return. I know it is probably really loving low but better than under a mattress.
Savings account?

Eyes Only
May 20, 2008

Do not attempt to adjust your set.

Demonachizer posted:

If you need quick, absolutely guaranteed access, ordinary savings accounts with 1% interest rates are out there.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Eyes Only posted:

If you need quick, absolutely guaranteed access, ordinary savings accounts with 1% interest rates are out there.

I would need quick like within a week. Not necessarily instantaneous.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Do you think you'll need this on a week's notice within the next 1, 5, or 10 years?

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Demonachizer posted:

I would need quick like within a week. Not necessarily instantaneous.
Most CD's would work. You only lose the interest from the past 3 months. Definitely depends on the CD/Bank though.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
Yeah most CDs are liquid and many community banks offer a no penalty CD, which is just a savings account more or less.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Do you think you'll need this on a week's notice within the next 1, 5, or 10 years?

I will be going to school for about 8 years and we have enough active/passive income to float us during the time so I don't think we will have any issues but we also don't want to lock it up completely just in case. We will probably use it for part of a down payment after school so I want to leave it as much alone as possible.

I guess I could structure it in CDs in such a way to maximize everything. Like I could put the lion's share in a CD for 5 years and then a smaller emergency fund in a 1 year or something where I wouldn't cry if I lost the interest on it.

Demonachizer fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Mar 19, 2015

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Demonachizer posted:

I guess I could structure it in CDs in such a way to maximize everything. Like I could put the lion's share in a CD for 5 years and then a smaller emergency fund in a 1 year or something where I wouldn't cry if I lost the interest on it.

I was just about to suggest something like this. There really is no good reason not to split up the money.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
This got skipped over in the long term investing thread, hopefully someone here will help me figure this out:

turevidar posted:

Today I found out that my retirement account provides in service rollovers and after tax contributions. I live in a US state without income tax, so I could do the mega backdoor Roth trick without feeling too much pain.

Are there reasons for doing it aside from fund selection?

I have access to institutional Vanguard funds through my 401k that have lower expense ratios than I get through my Roth IRA. I am not hitting the income limits for the Roth yet.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Help me understand what is probably a dumb question with a simple answer.

Last year, I got a personal loan through penfed on 6/30/14. It was $10000 at 9.99%APR. I've been throwing more money at it than the minimum, which is $212.68/mo. Minimum payments up to now would've been $1701.44. I've paid $3025.08 so far and I'm going to keep paying it down ASAP.

When I do an online payment the balance doesn't decrease by the amount I've paid. I'm assuming this has to do something with the interest, but I don't understand what portion of my payment is going toward it, or why. Like for instance, my payment on 3/3 of $212.68 only decreased the balance from $7878.97 to $7726.67, a decrease of only $152.30. What am I missing?

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

Cacafuego posted:

Help me understand what is probably a dumb question with a simple answer.

Last year, I got a personal loan through penfed on 6/30/14. It was $10000 at 9.99%APR. I've been throwing more money at it than the minimum, which is $212.68/mo. Minimum payments up to now would've been $1701.44. I've paid $3025.08 so far and I'm going to keep paying it down ASAP.

When I do an online payment the balance doesn't decrease by the amount I've paid. I'm assuming this has to do something with the interest, but I don't understand what portion of my payment is going toward it, or why. Like for instance, my payment on 3/3 of $212.68 only decreased the balance from $7878.97 to $7726.67, a decrease of only $152.30. What am I missing?

Does your loan have an early payoff fee? The missing portion of your payment may be going against that.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Bugamol posted:

Does your loan have an early payoff fee? The missing portion of your payment may be going against that.

Just checked my loan paperwork, it says:

Prepayments: If you pay off early, you will not have to pay a penalty

So, I guess it's gotta be the interest, but if they broke it down (ie 'Of your payment of $212.68, $x is going to interest, remainder to principal') it would make it alot easier.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Cacafuego posted:

You are paying about 1/12th of 10% of the outstanding balance in interest per month. You owe about $7900, so this month you will owe about $65 in interest.

I don't know 100% with PenFed, but I would be surprised if there isn't a detailed transaction history available on their site somewhere where you can see that.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

It could be like a Sallie Mae loan when I had one, where you have to specify whether an overpayment goes against the principal, or only serves to push back the next payment's due date. Tricksy hobbits...

Gisnep
Mar 29, 2010

turevidar posted:

This got skipped over in the long term investing thread, hopefully someone here will help me figure this out:
I just replied in the long term investing thread.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Got a question

Financially stable, good credit score, money in the bank, but not working. Looking to boost credit more. Never taken a loan or made payments other than bills on anything in my life. Just recently got a new mattress and am making payments on that just because.

Looking at buying a used motorcycle locally. (3-5k) Banking with USAA. I've heard nothing but good experiences about them in that regard.

So should I inquire about a loan for a specific bike? Just take a personal loan? Can I buy the bike now and still get a loan for the bike later? I've literally never done any of this poo poo because I've always been financially sound and paid cash for my cars.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Why not just use a credit card and pay it off each month in full? Then you boost your credit score without having to pay interest. This

quote:

Just recently got a new mattress and am making payments on that just because.
just sounds kind of foolish, unless the interest rate was very low (< 2%).

Cicero fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Mar 21, 2015

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

^ it ended up being $12 more.

I have two. I wasn't using one for a while but thanks to this thread I put a small monthly payment on that one. I just assumed that would build better credit?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

^ it ended up being $12 more.

I have two. I wasn't using one for a while but thanks to this thread I put a small monthly payment on that one. I just assumed that would build better credit?
AFAIK Whether you're paying interest or not on a credit card doesn't affect credit score. So that would just be wasted money.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Droo posted:

You are paying about 1/12th of 10% of the outstanding balance in interest per month. You owe about $7900, so this month you will owe about $65 in interest.

I don't know 100% with PenFed, but I would be surprised if there isn't a detailed transaction history available on their site somewhere where you can see that.

Thanks for the info. So, over the life of the loan as my principal decreases per month, the amount I pay towards principal stays the same, but the amount going towards interest decreases?

SpelledBackwards posted:

It could be like a Sallie Mae loan when I had one, where you have to specify whether an overpayment goes against the principal, or only serves to push back the next payment's due date. Tricksy hobbits...

Hmm, could be. With all my extra payments, it says a payment isn't due until october, but it still deducts the minimum payment per month. This is different than my car loan which is also set up for auto payment and I'm ahead on that one as well, but it only is withdrawn every month because I manually do it.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Cacafuego posted:

Thanks for the info. So, over the life of the loan as my principal decreases per month, the amount I pay towards principal stays the same, but the amount going towards interest decreases?

Loans typically have a payment that is the same but the ratio of interest to principal payment changes with the principal payment increasing by the the amount the interest payment has decreased. It was mentioned earlier but some loans take additional payments and put them towards future payments instead of paying off the principal. The October due date seems to hint at the latter.

I recommend get a statement online or otherwise to see where the payments have been going.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Hmmm.. so my wife receives a letter from labcorp with a cheque for $150 stating "this letter serves as an advisement that our office received an overpayment for the laboratory services requested by your physician."

I believe this was covered through work medical insurance so...should just wondering if this is actually some sort of scam or do I either call our insurance company about it or just go ahead and deposit it?

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

lol internet. posted:

Hmmm.. so my wife receives a letter from labcorp with a cheque for $150 stating "this letter serves as an advisement that our office received an overpayment for the laboratory services requested by your physician."

I believe this was covered through work medical insurance so...should just wondering if this is actually some sort of scam or do I either call our insurance company about it or just go ahead and deposit it?

Don't deposit a check if you're unsure about the origins. If that check is bad the best case is you'll get nailed with a fee from your bank when the check bounces, worst case you'll get nailed with that fee AND nailed with overdraft fees if you spend the money before the bank figures things out (which could be 1-2 weeks).

I'd contact the insurance company and see what they think about it all, and also contact your doctor to see if that's the lab service they used. If that is indeed where the lab-work was sent then your chances of it being a scam are a whole lot smaller, and then it's just a question of if the insurance company is going to come after you for the money.

Also this advice is only valid in the USA, if you're somewhere else (which I'm guessing from the use of "cheque"), I don't know how your silly moon country deals with bounced checks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
You can also usually call the bank of origin and verify it with them