Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

There's fluff that mentions there are mortal citizens of Nehekhara, some of whom even descend from their ancient civilization (and these are regarded as even more precious than the Tomb Kings' loot), they generally live pretty decent lives and are well protected by the Tomb Kings as long as they don't break any of the laws, which are not really more draconian than in any of the other human civilizations, so being a living Tomb King subject is probably one of the better prospects for a normal person in the setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

as Arkhan can attest, Nagash was just as much a power-hungry rear end in a top hat in life as he was in death and double-death, and when he comes back for the third time he is unlikely to be any nicer.

Arkhan is loyal to Nagash because Nagash was the only thing that ever gave his life anything that even approximated meaning. you know that bit in Game of Thrones where Tyrion wisecracks about how he's only drinking himself to death because he's too cowardly to kill himself any faster, and Varys says "well while you're doing that, mind if I show you something cool" and suddenly bam, Tyrion's life has meaning again

like that, only instead of advising a dragonhaver it was getting to be the right-hand-man of somebody who was going to grant eternal life to the faithful and also conquer the world with an army of skellingtons.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

AnEdgelord posted:

The interesting thing is that this argument actually has legs and is one of the huge grey areas in the lore primarily because of the existence of Chaos. Necromancy and Chaos are diametrically opposed since Chaos is interested in dragging the whole world into the Realm of Chaos (basically the WHFB afterlife) where the Chaos gods will have free reign to devour the souls of all living things. Necromancy meanwhile is entirely focused on cutting the Soul off from the afterlife (and thus the Realm of Chaos), so to be undead is to put your soul beyond the reach of Chaos and their servants. Unfortunately necromancy is its own curse since its very use is actively corrosive to its users mental state and by definition is about subverting the freewill and agency of the souls you enslave.

Its an interesting dynamic that I've always kind of liked about Warhammer, there are multiple different big bads who are all working at cross purpose and are tripping over each other trying to bring their master plans to fruition. Hell half the reason the Order factions even win some of the time is because of the 20 super villain plot pile up WHFB is constantly experiencing.

Combine that with the tendency of Order factions to team up when poo poo gets real makes the Warhammer world a strangely stable place.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Do the skellingtons talk? It would be cool if the Tomb King skeletons talked and bantered some they are more 'lucid' than vampire count skeletons.

:hb: Four more millenia till I get to retire!

:hb: Fat chance of that happening, we're getting stop-lossed till the End Times.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

ZearothK posted:

There's fluff that mentions there are mortal citizens of Nehekhara, some of whom even descend from their ancient civilization (and these are regarded as even more precious than the Tomb Kings' loot), they generally live pretty decent lives and are well protected by the Tomb Kings as long as they don't break any of the laws, which are not really more draconian than in any of the other human civilizations, so being a living Tomb King subject is probably one of the better prospects for a normal person in the setting.

admittedly almost all of the sources of life in the land are -still- blighted by the sorceries of Nagash, because holy poo poo fucker did not take losing with good grace, but in the few places where there's a well that does not draw black, necrotic ichor it is possible to eke out a lovely, lovely living.

every once in a while the ancestors will come to visit. smile, nod, and make sure to offer them something to eat. it gets them to go away faster most of the time.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Panfilo posted:

Do the skellingtons talk? It would be cool if the Tomb King skeletons talked and bantered some they are more 'lucid' than vampire count skeletons.

:hb: Fat chance of that happening, we're getting stop-lossed till the End Times.

last fluff I saw, the lowest of the skellingtons max out at approximately An NPC In An RPG level intelligence. they remember their legion's battlecry. they remember how to form ranks. they remember how to confirm their masters' orders. thaaaat's about it.

the Tomb Guard, as dudes who got properly mummified instead of being tossed into a mass grave wearing their uniforms, actually are capable of basic chitchat. they're not -as- well preserved as their masters, but they're capable of holding a conversation if pressed.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Do they still remember how to love? Do their military spouses still furtively wait for them to come home? :qq:

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Panfilo posted:

Do they still remember how to love? Do their military spouses still furtively wait for them to come home? :qq:

item one is a bit of a problem for the elite of nehekara

Settra doesn't give a poo poo, that is a man whose desires have been entirely conquering based for approximately recorded human history. Khalida doesn't give a poo poo, that is a woman who was 70% As The Goddess Wills in life and has hit 99% in death. Khatep, he's Mortuary Cult, there's rituals involved to solve that little problem. And Arkhan, well, the gently caress is up with Arkhan could fill several books, and probably did before he burned them.

but the rest?

they've got their minds. they can still love. they can still hunger. they can still thirst. the Mortuary Cult had solved the problem of mental immortality long before! the trick was bringing back all those pesky meaty bits hooked up to those feelings.

and on his return, Nagash 2.0 needed an army, and did not need them capable of enjoying the comforts of the living.

the Tomb Kings were called back to serve Nagash. and none of them recall what they did in his service before Sigmar caved his skull in, and obedient to the magics of the Cult, they reformed in their tombs. as one, their first action on awakening was making their one-star reviews of the experience to their attending liche-priests.

consider the existence of the lords of Nehekara. they hunger, but all food might as well be ashes. they thirst, but cannot be quenched. they get hornt, but their genetalia are as dust.

it is perhaps unsurprising they are a bitter bunch of jerks, by and large.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

No wonder they loving hate the vampires, betrayal aside. They get all the parties.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'm looking forward to vanguard deploying a bunch of offensive puppet skeletons outside Settras house and stealing all his poo poo.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Guess vampires are the Chads of the undead.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Panfilo posted:

If I remember correctly the entire basis of Neferata altering the elixir of life was that she still wanted to look pretty instead of being a dessicatted corpse like Nagash and Arkhan.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

AnEdgelord posted:

If I remember correctly the entire basis of Neferata altering the elixir of life was that she still wanted to look pretty instead of being a dessicatted corpse like Nagash and Arkhan.

Was it an unintended side effect that the Lahmians were able to use their guile to infiltrate other human civilizations for espionage?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Panfilo posted:

Fun fact about the Vampires they originally had no weaknesses at all other then a craving for blood (and getting their heads knocked off but everything is weak to that.) The original Vampires after coming into being by checking Nagash's notes and drinking a potion they made. After loosing their home city because they were assholes, they went and signed up with Nagash who took them on as minions. The issue was that he was an rear end in a top hat to them like he was to everyone else and treated them and expected them to act like disposable canon fodder rather then elite generals.
Most of the Vampires got fed up with this and ended up ditching Nagash (Using a loophole to break the control he had managed to gain over him) as a massive battle was happening. Nagash always a sore loser, blamed the vampires and their fickleness and cursed them with a universal weakness to the sun and numerous other weaknesses that varied vampire to vampire.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Panfilo posted:

Was it an unintended side effect that the Lahmians were able to use their guile to infiltrate other human civilizations for espionage?

Yeah pretty much everything about Vampirism was a side effect.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Imagine being the vampire coven with a crippling weakness to cryptocurrency! :ohdear:

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

AnEdgelord posted:

you, weak, vampire, accursed: goes dumpster diving in evil laboratories for makeup tips, has that gross nerd nagash inside you 24/7, cannot bear the touch of the sun, uses melee combat (which is for peasants)

me, holy, honorable, blessed: has venom of the snake goddess coursing through my veins, use powdered vampire remains as a foundation, sunbathe solely as an exercise in spite, can block out the sun with arrows on a whim

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah pretty much everything about Vampirism was a side effect.

quote:

Introducing Vampiria(TM) the rejuvenating product to bring that pallor back in your decaying flesh! Vampiria has been proven to improve the effects of millenia of decay, restoring dessicated tissue back to a pasty, ghostly facsimile of the living. Highborn report a 34% increase in passing off as a living descendant of their past selves to the smallfolk, sucessfully maintaining their petty fiefdoms without any pesky living children to interfere with lines of succession. When taken as directed, Vampiria has been shown to dramatically increase the subject's physical strength, magical abilities, and libido. Most subjects taking Vampiria for the past century reported a positive change in their sex life.

ONLY TAKE VAMPIRIA AS DIRECTED. SIDE EFFECTS INCLUDE PHOTOPHOBIA, INABILITY TO CROSS RUNNING STREAMS OR ENTER HOMES UNLESS INVITED, COMPULSION TO COUNT MUSTARD SEEDS, ETERNAL THIRST FOR BLOOD, AND SENSITIVITY TO GARLIC AND OTHER DUBIOUS FOLK ELIXIRS. ASK YOUR MORTUARY CULT PRIEST IF YOU LIVE IN A REGION WITH MORE THAN EIGHTEEN HOURS OF DAYLIGHT OR ARE ALLERGIC TO DECAPITATION, AS THESE CAN CAUSE POTENTIALLY FATAL COMPLICATIONS.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
It's gonna be weird having the Tomb Kings without Neferata as a bonus LL.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Is there an achievement for treasury size? I'm on a plundering tour of Ulthuan and I've stopped having any use for gold other than piling it up and cackling evilly.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Eej posted:

It's gonna be weird having the Tomb Kings without Neferata as a bonus LL.

I could see her being in 3 as a DLC/FLC. That's of course if they add the Dark Lands and rejigger the World's Edge Mountains a bit.

As it stands I think putting her in Lahmia would make things a little crowded, plus unless they give her some unique units it would be a waste of her character.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Panfilo posted:

They do but they speak a... dead language.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Since people were complaining about Morathi being hard earlier I replayed her scenario on very hard until it lost any challenge. It doesn't take long.

Here is my advice if you have trouble with her:

Fall back within reinforcement range of your city but also within range of the nearby much larger enemy delf stack. It'll attack you on turn 1 and once you easily beat it taking the rest of the province is trivial.

Don't spend level up points at 4 or 5. Once you hit 6 you can pick up her special tree to get +15 magic and +2 sorceresses. You want to recruit 2 ASAP, fire and shadow. Morathi's spells are terrible, don't waste time with them. Her primary early game strength is her heroes.

Take the upgrade to reduce ability costs with your heroes. It stacks with your faction ability to make special actions 90% off, next to nothing. Go on an assault and tech stealing rampage with your heroes to quickly level them up.

Get (and fully upgrade) the wind spells with your sorceresses as soon as possible. Use flaming skull against low armor targets. Pendulum against high armor. Wait until the opponent has engaged your line and is tied up in melee.

Collect slaves in your home province, no where else. Build slave pens in every city in your home province to maximize income. Your special building chain should cause your income to skyrocket. It is more important to sack enemy cities than occupy them early game.

Early army composition is dread spears, shielded dark shards, your starting hydra, and 1 or 2 sorcerers. You should make the trade good buildings in your starting province even if you don't have a trade partner so your fresh troops start at silver rank.

Eventually you'll want to some red tree buffs for your army, the yellow tree (I go with damage since her charge bonus ends up absurd enough to make melee attack irrelevant and she'll be tanky once you get enough warding), and either of her branching trees.

Both exclusive trees are really good. Insidious lets your shades shred any light cav that tries to tie them up and makes dark riders actually usable. The biggest boon is the -10 enemy leadership though. Combine it with a flaming skull to instantly break enemies that have been worn down by darkshards. It is even better once you have a sword that gives fear and terror.

Other tree is more for darkshards plus high tier infantry (so you can actually afford them). Upkeep reduction is less important if you've been collecting slaves though. Might be more important on Legendary.

Edit: And prioritize her quest. Once you invoke the ritual you can pretty quickly get your sorceresses to level 20+. Once she has started down the yellow tree, is riding a nightmare, and has her quest item she becomes an incredible assassin.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jan 10, 2018

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Man I don't recall the TW1 DLC being $20 a throw. I mean I'll buy it, but it seems like a lot.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Rookersh posted:

Man, Greenskins are just boring.

I played a Skarsnik campaign way back when, and that was good fun. Nonstop rough battles, but doable battles. Turning my gobbos into basically little minotaurs that just charge through everything. It was super hilarious and very "orky".

The actual Greenskin campaign though kinda sucks. Basic boyz and even the bigger stuff like my Black Orcs don't seem like they can handle much of anything. They can sure, but they are real beat up after it in ways I wouldn't expect orcs to be. Somehow I have a full 20/20 stack from Karak Azul heading to Varaya's Sorrow by turn 8, and after pushing it back just barely I see two more 20/20 stacks of Karak Azul armies right behind them. I've also got a bunch of Dwarf stacks starting to come down from the north.

I finally figure out I can just confederate the Red Fangs after beating them up initially, and great. Cool. Now I own most of the Badlands but can't do poo poo with it anyways, because none of my units feel good in a fight against Dwarfs. Also fighting in and around the Badlands doesn't really feel that great.

Grimgor is awesome. He hits like a truck and is a hilarious monster. It's just everything supporting him is......not great.

Greenskins are pretty much balanced with the expectation that you have a Waaagh stack with you for every battle. Don't even bother fighting the beard-things without one.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

JBP posted:

Man I don't recall the TW1 DLC being $20 a throw. I mean I'll buy it, but it seems like a lot.

It's $5 on the margin dude. It's a sandwich more.

You are funding the excellent post launch support for this game.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Arglebargle III posted:

It's $5 on the margin dude. It's a sandwich more.

You are funding the excellent post launch support for this game.

There is no question with regard to me buying all the DLC, I just didn't remember paying more than $10 for the original ones (must have been thinking of the lower intensity LL DLC). I just went on Steam and proved myself wrong since there are DLC factions for $17.

e: actually it was only WE and Beastmen that were expensive and they came with their own self contained campaigns.

JBP fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jan 10, 2018

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

JBP posted:

Vlad is awesome and did nothing wrong.

He spawned Boring Von Carstein so I think he has something to answer for :colbert:

Panfilo posted:

I remember there being a story (and I half remember this so correct me if I'm wrong) about some guy whose wife was sick so he went all over the place to find a cure and he gets to the Tomb King lands and his guide helps him break in so they can loot some poo poo and they get caught by skelly guards who take them to the Tomb King. Tomb King asks why the gently caress they are trespassing and stealing his poo poo, and the guide says some dumb obvious bullshit and the Tomb King gestures and his guard whacks off the guide's head. He turns to the husband and asks why he's trespassing and stealing his poo poo and the husband talks about his wife and how much he loves her and doesn'twant her to die and he's desperate to find a way to help her and he'd gladly die for her.

The Tomb King stares at him for a bit then makes a different gesture and a liche priest comes out with a book and gives it to the husband and the Tomb King tells him I too dearly loved my wife and would sacrifice everything for her, here's a book you can use to cure yours. Go home to her.

Mummies love their spouces too :unsmith:

Its Rinaldo fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jan 10, 2018

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

So are we fighting a disembodied spirit of Nagash/summoning him in the final battle for the Tomb Kings?

If this is how they do it, will he show up as a face in the background skybox?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

wrt the personality and memories of the rank and file tomb king soldiers; keep in mind that even if they do still have all their thoughts and emotions (which they don’t) they voluntarily marched in formation into a giant pit to be buried alive to fight for their king for all eternity; if anything they’re getting exactly what they wanted

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

wrt the personality and memories of the rank and file tomb king soldiers; keep in mind that even if they do still have all their thoughts and emotions (which they don’t)

wow racist

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I'm more looking forward to them just patching up the various bugs and norsca fixes then tomb kings themselves.

All of the tomb king monsters look like they have attack animations that send them a mile away while sending infantry flying, good luck surrounding them with spearmen.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I'm more looking forward to them just patching up the various bugs and norsca fixes then tomb kings themselves.

All of the tomb king monsters look like they have attack animations that send them a mile away while sending infantry flying, good luck surrounding them with spearmen.

Good. All I can hear in my head is a voice yelling Demigryph Knights.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

JBP posted:

e: actually it was only WE and Beastmen that were expensive and they came with their own self contained campaigns.

They did two more LLs instead of a mini-campaign because no one cared about the mini-campaigns. I, personally, am happy about this.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Senor Dog posted:

They did two more LLs instead of a mini-campaign because no one cared about the mini-campaigns. I, personally, am happy about this.

Yeah it's good. I was just talking the price comparison. Chaos has 3 and Norsca is pretty beefy for having 2. They were :10bux:

E: anyway I'm not being a dickhead or saying it's bad, I was just surprised at $20. I assume the vortex campaign is going to be pretty interesting given you just pursue your own goals while the idiot blood havers run around chasing rats.

JBP fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jan 10, 2018

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Its Rinaldo posted:

I remember there being a story (and I half remember this so correct me if I'm wrong) about some guy whose wife was sick so he went all over the place to find a cure and he gets to the Tomb King lands and his guide helps him break in so they can loot some poo poo and they get caught by skelly guards who take them to the Tomb King. Tomb King asks why the gently caress they are trespassing and stealing his poo poo, and the guide says some dumb obvious bullshit and the Tomb King gestures and his guard whacks off the guide's head. He turns to the husband and asks why he's trespassing and stealing his poo poo and the husband talks about his wife and how much he loves her and doesn'twant her to die and he's desperate to find a way to help her and he'd gladly die for her.

The Tomb King stares at him for a bit then makes a different gesture and a liche priest comes out with a book and gives it to the husband and the Tomb King tells him I too dearly loved my wife and would sacrifice everything for her, here's a book you can use to cure yours. Go home to her.

Mummies love their spouces too :unsmith:

I was literally coming to mention that story, someone in the thread a long time ago did it real justice and I've had it at the back of my mind since. Anyone have a link to that post or to the story?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
The Gotrek & Felix novel "The Serpent Queen" has some really good Tomb Kings characters as well.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i watched that video and i am now a Big Tomb King Fan

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Tomb Kings are awesome, and if I am going to a mortal empires game, it is going to be "Khalida: The Turbomurder of Vampires" for proper justice

(also did I just read that right she gives poison to ALL her archers?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

dead comedy forums posted:

Tomb Kings are awesome, and if I am going to a mortal empires game, it is going to be "Khalida: The Turbomurder of Vampires" for proper justice

(also did I just read that right she gives poison to ALL her archers?)

All her units, not just archers.