Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Hype status: MAXIMUM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Hey guys, does this count as war profiteering?

PenguinSalsa
Nov 10, 2009

Yes. The best kind of war profiteering.
Hayard-Günnes should go full Saint's Row and sell in-universe merch.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Edit: Holy poo poo, they have 10 Tomcats in inventory! I thought they were all destroyed except for ones in museums!

The Iranians fly F-14s, don't they? The F-14 is probably one of the worst possible aircraft for mercs considering operating costs and availability of spare parts but I wouldn't complain if we could get our hands on a few :v:

PenguinSalsa fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jul 9, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Woah you've got a bunch of good shirts in your profile. I gotta pick some of those up next time I've got some cash.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

PenguinSalsa posted:

The Iranians fly F-14s, don't they? The F-14 is probably one of the worst possible aircraft for mercs considering operating costs and availability of spare parts but I wouldn't complain if we could get our hands on a few :v:

I have been shilling for Iranian hardware for months :v: Maybe someday I should do a writeup that's nothing but a summary of their stuff.

Stago Lego
Sep 3, 2011

power crystals posted:

I have been shilling for Iranian hardware for months :v: Maybe someday I should do a writeup that's nothing but a summary of their stuff.

You should. I love reading about these more obscure air forces.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Is the Qaher-313 in the database and is the Iranian government willing to sell us some?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Stago Lego posted:

Isn't the Iranian air force actually pretty significant, having completely kicked the poo poo out of the Iraqi one during the Iran-Iraq war?

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
Even if we didn't buy the Iranian kitties, barring some third party licensing them, Iran is the only source of F-14 spare parts.

There's a similar issue with buying Intruders, we would either have to buy more than we want to fly so we can cannibalize them for parts or assume there's a third party making either parts or whole aircraft.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Night10194 posted:

Isn't the Iranian air force actually pretty significant, having completely kicked the poo poo out of the Iraqi one during the Iran-Iraq war?

The Iranian airforce was a strong and modern force during the seventies. They flew then-modern Tomcats and had an order out for F16s. Then the Iranian revolution went down and the US threw a weapons embargo on them. And then the Iran-Iraq war happened

These days there´s not a lot left of their US built fleet, and they only managed to acquire a few handfuls of MiG-29 Fulcrums and J-7's.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Coffeehitler posted:

Even if we didn't buy the Iranian kitties, barring some third party licensing them, Iran is the only source of F-14 spare parts.

There's a similar issue with buying Intruders, we would either have to buy more than we want to fly so we can cannibalize them for parts or assume there's a third party making either parts or whole aircraft.
Eh, the US government is apparently letting F-22s be sold on the open market, I'm sure NG might consider restarting production (maybe even dust off the proposed upgrades) if there was a market for it. And I'm sure there would be some PMCs who want to live out Top Gun fantasies.

Dance Officer posted:

The Iranian airforce was a strong and modern force during the seventies. They flew then-modern Tomcats and had an order out for F16s. Then the Iranian revolution went down and the US threw a weapons embargo on them. And then the Iran-Iraq war happened

These days there´s not a lot left of their US built fleet, and they only managed to acquire a few handfuls of MiG-29 Fulcrums and J-7's.
There was apparently a competition between the F-15 & F-14 that Northrop Grumman basically won by agreeing the flyovers of the two aircraft for the benefit of the Shah (who loved planes) would not involve any aerobatics, let the F-15 do their bit and then the F-14 went all Blue Angels and they won the contract.

Apparently they were considering selling their Tomcats to Canada for well below market price, since the Canadians pointed out they'd never be able to get the spare parts, but then the whole Argo stuff went down and for some reason Iran didn't want to make the deal any more.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

aphid_licker posted:

Is the Qaher-313 in the database and is the Iranian government willing to sell us some?

No. Does that thing even fly? I thought it was just a body kit around some poo poo they bought off AliExpress.

Stago Lego posted:

Eh, why not. Here's Everything You Didn't Know You Wanted To Know About Iran. As usual, ignoring older variants of the same aircraft.

Iran's hardware is defined by "nobody wants to sell to these guys", so they buy everything in bits and pieces and as a result have an utterly weird mishmash of crap. Their planes are this bizarre union of American, Russian, Chinese, and French, with some domestic variants thrown in and then for weapons they took those same four sources, threw them into a blender, and attached whatever they could in the order it fell out. The American weapons they do have have a Sell By date from the 1970s (750lb bombs may as well be extinct anywhere else), but their Russian/Soviet stuff is all over the place from the 1960s to relatively modern. Nothing makes any sense and it is all glorious and beautiful. If only I had a crying Iranian flag to put here.

Boring poo poo first. They have access to C-130Es, C-130Hs, CH-47Cs, and Bell 214As ("Huey Plus", whatever that is) for cargo. Not even going to bother linking these. Their have two gunships, the AH-1J Sea Cobra with access to rocket pods and TOWs, and the most :canada: of helicopters, the SH-3D Sea King equipped for ASW though not very good at it. We can ignore all of this.

Okay, onto the fun stuff.
Fighters:
  • F-6A [MiG-19]: 57mm dumb rockets, 90mm dumb rockets, 250kg bombs, and PL-2s. Barf. We have MiG-19s on hand right now that are better than this one.
  • F-7N: Command doesn't say, but I assume this is a Chinese F-7, which means it's a MiG-21 (but now like, third-hand). Same as above, except add 500kg bombs and upgrade the missiles to PL-7s. Still not good, but at least it won't die immediately.
  • F-5E Tiger II (-Fs also available): Dumb bombs, cluster bombs, and your choice of AIM-9Ns OR R-60TMs OR PL-7s. Not interesting, but cheap.
  • Mirage F.1EQ-6: These defected from Iraq iirc. 70mm rockets, 500lb bombs, R.550s, and weirdly enough an OECM pod. Unfortunately we already have our own Mirages.
  • MiG-29 Fulcrum A: Hey, something somewhat modern. R-27Rs, R-73s, 250 and 500kg bombs, 100 and 250kg "Frag" bombs (I am not sure what an OFAB does), 250 and 500kg cluster bombs, 57mm rockets, and 80mm HEAT rockets. Pretty solid.
  • F-14A: This is why you're all here, admit it. AIM-9N, AIM-7E4, AIM-54A, and AIM-23Cs. The astute among you may notice that the AIM-23 is not a normal air to air missile. Iran is so desperate for long range air to air weapons that they somehow managed to take the missile from their HAWK batteries and strap them to their Tomcats. Who knows if the thing actually works in reality, but Command says it does. The Phoenixes are still pretty decent - their sensor package is ancient, but the range means you could use them to poke softer assets like tankers or AEW aircraft from relative impunity.

Ground attack:
  • F-4E Phantom II. There are certain subtle hints that I am a Phantom Phan. These mount all kinds of odd weapons - AIM-9Ns and AIM-7E2s for air to air, Maverick As (I thought the A was just a trial weapon that never saw production!), 70mm rockets, 500lb 750lb and 1000lb dumb bombs, 2000lb laser-guided bombs, cluster bombs, napalm bombs, a Chinese anti-ship missile, and AGM-78Ds for anti-radar. If we didn't already have the Greek ones these would be a legit good buy, though Sparrows are bad.
  • Su-22M-4K Fitter K: Very similar load to the above MiG-29. Lose the R-27Rs, swap the R-73s for R-60TMs and 80mm rockets for 240mm HE rockets and add in Kh-25Ls and a DECM pod.
  • Su-24MK Fencer D: Same common set of bombs and rockets with R-60TMs, also with that Chinese AShM, Kh-58s (ARMs), Kh-29Ls, and the amazingly named Fatasmagoria pod (a radar sniffer). There are much better Fencers than this one.
  • Su-25K Frogfoot A: The -25Ts we had were cooler. These have only dumb bombs and rockets (plus more R-60TMs), but on the other hand they carry the guided 80mm rockets I mentioned in my last post. They're HEAT, too, so you could conceivably kill tanks with these things and you get 32 per load. Someone buy Tapco one of these as a Christmas gift.

Support:
  • Boeing 707-3J9C: Tanker. Which would be cool, except that they also have:
  • Boeing KC-747: A tanker 747. Yep. I believe they are the only operators of this variant in the world.
  • P-3F Orion: Have you ever wondered "how can I buy The Worst Orion"? Wonder no more. Two AShMs, the same ones the F-4s and Su-24s above carry, and nothing else. It doesn't even have any good sensors. Ultra yawn.
  • IL-76MD: An AEW aircraft. I am actually unsure how good this is. Probably not as good as ours.
  • RF-4E Phantom II: Recon Phantom. It's okay at that, but why bother in a world with Reapers?
  • Mohajer-3: An Su-25 with nothing except a laser designator. The mind boggles.
  • Shahed-129 UAV: Generic recon UAV. It's okay.
  • T-27 Tucano: A trainer. Its only loadout is Ferry.
  • T-33B Shooting Star: Another trainer, also Ferry only.

Wishlist: The F-14s, the KC-747(s), the Frogfeet, and while we're at it maybe that IL-76 because hey we could always use a spare.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I was making a joke :(

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Honestly there's weirder hypotheticals in there so I actually had to check :v:

Stago Lego
Sep 3, 2011

power crystals posted:

Everything You Didn't Know You Wanted To Know About Iran.

Thanks, I always wondered what their air force looked like. Quite the hodgepodge of frames. Make due with what you have as they say.

Nick Esasky
Nov 10, 2009
Note: The Iranians apparently don't release performance specs on their gear, so their domestic stuff generally isn't in the Command DB. Stuff they make relevant to us, for academic interest:

Planes:
Saeqeh: their Mk 2 of their reserve-engineered F-5s. No info on what weapons they carry, apparently looks like a F-5/F-20 except for having a Hornet-like tail. Maybe buy as counts-as F-20s?
Qahar: Supposedly a stealth design, the thing they rolled out that was supposed to be it looked fake as gently caress in several ways.
Shafaq: Another stealth thing, no eyes has been laid on it.
HESA IrAn-140: License Built An-140 if we want those for some reason.

Helos:
Shahed 285: Militarized Bell Jetranger Copies. As crap as you'd expect. Anti-ship variant does carry 2 missiles, but...
Toufan: Something based on the Cobra. No idea what the weapons are like, but they only started flying in 07/13 for the two different versions.
Panha 2091: Upgrades on their actual Cobra. Apparently have no TOWs?
Utility Helos: Huey/Jetranger copies + a domestic that has a lesser load.

UAVs:
Iran apparently has around 20 different types of UAVs, including weapon carriers. Only ones in the DB are a couple short-range recon ones, though.

SAMs:
They have Gargoyles and a bunch of lesser things from the Ruskies. Also two domestic systems of note:
Bavar 373: They apparently went and developed this thing after their S-300 buys kept getting delayed/hosed with. Has phased array radars, apparently. No entry in DB, of course.
Mersad: Upgraded/domestic production Hawk. In DB, doesn't appear different from our existing HAWKs. Open to question if DB stats on the thing are right, of course.

PenguinSalsa
Nov 10, 2009

power crystals posted:

Eh, why not. Here's Everything You Didn't Know You Wanted To Know About Iran. As usual, ignoring older variants of the same aircraft.

Excellent writeup! I actually suspect that I learned about the Iranian F-14s from one of your posts now that you mention it.
The HAWK missile would be hilarious for the WTF factor and for having a fighter that shares ammunition with one of our SAM systems. :v:

PenguinSalsa fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jul 10, 2017

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
It looks like the Bell 214A Huey Plus is a single-engine high(er)-altitude export-only version of the Bell 212/UH-1 Twin Huey. The difference? The Twin Huey is a twin engine version.

Fun-fact: the Bell 214ST, developed from the 214A looks like some bizarre crossing between the Huey and the Blackhawk, from the wiki pictures.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
drat, you ain't lying about the Qaher-313: the only thing I can find that has a similar looking air intake size is a trainer version of the BAe Hawk. That means that if Iran keeps working at it, they might have the fanciest looking close-support plane that's roughly on par with the other 500 close-support aircraft made by every other industrial country on the planet.

It looks like someone just tapered the wings of a jet from Macross:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Nick Esasky posted:

Shafaq: Another stealth thing, no eyes has been laid on it.
The most successful stealth plane ever?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Mission running in 3.5 hours. 10:00 EST.

Zack got a hold of me and, in between pontificating about the Seahawks, he let slip about a cargo drop in the Bering Sea. Do pray tell, I said to Zack. So it seems the US Navy has air deployed buoys in the Bering Sea.

The interesting part is... the buoy contains a drone. Not just any drone, but a drone suited to surveil possible hostiles. We can't control the drone but it's going to fly a pattern over St. Lawrence and feed us intel. The drone is an MQ-8C Fire-X UAV.

So we're probably going to owe Zack big for this one, but I think that's OK. What's the worst that could happen right?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Finally, some good ne.... ! Oh.

<tugs collar>
<makes "NgNgNgNg" noise>

ps. Stream is up but not active yet.

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

For those of you who are going to see this thread after the mission livestream: We need Hornets. Badly. Why? Because Our Phantoms are just not cutting it.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

HereticMIND posted:

For those of you who are going to see this thread after the mission livestream: We need Hornets. Badly. Why? Because Our Phantoms are just not cutting it.

We could have sold the nuke to MicroZon and then bought export F-22s off Tesla as they try to raise cash. But noooooo, goons want to be responsible or something.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Olothreutes posted:

We could have sold the nuke to MicroZon and then bought export F-22s off Tesla as they try to raise cash. But noooooo, goons want to be responsible or something.

Hey don't look at me :colbert:

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Olothreutes posted:

Hey, we prefer to not serve during a thermonuclear war.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

HereticMIND posted:

Hey, we prefer to not serve during a thermonuclear war.

It wouldn't be a thermonuclear war. Presumably the Tesla/Facebook group doesn't have nukes to throw back.

Also: But why not, though? It could be amazing.

plaintiff
May 15, 2015

Just got back from watching the whole stream, and yeah, we got boots on the ground, and blew up a lot of poo poo, but it looked like Cobbie and four other choppers got shot out of the sky during the landing in St. Lawrence. Cobbie survived, somehow, and now they're moving up against a bunch more entrenched crap. There's a bajilion dudes and loads of SAM launchers up there still. This will only get uglier.

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Olothreutes posted:

It wouldn't be a thermonuclear war. Presumably the Tesla/Facebook group doesn't have nukes to throw back.

Also: But why not, though? It could be amazing.

It could also force us to take the fall for starting World War III.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
AAR: LOL

I'm not spoiling that because it's always true :colbert:

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Yooper: Put me down in the replacement queue for UAVs only, though hopefully something better than the Sperwer. At this point I think MEAT the character isn't gonna want to touch anything else. Plus nobody else seems to want those anyway, maybe I can talk whoever gets the next one into giving up their spot. C'mon Zack, sell us something ridiculous. Or maybe K&P can dig up a nEUROn somehow.

Actual thoughts:
What a clusterfuck. We came out okay in the end but that was way messier than it should have been. We need GPS guided weapons (not necessarily SDBs though those are obviously the cream of the crop) to deal with bad weather because trying to sneak in to laze things is a horrible idea as demonstrated. Doubly so on landing next to MANPADS. Phantoms continue to hit way above their paygrade although we're probably going to wind up being able to afford stuff that strictly outclasses them, sadly. And you assholes owe me a new... well not a ride. But you get the idea :colbert:

ps I'm keeping the trailer, gently caress you all :v:

Coiler121
May 26, 2017
Well....

To be honest, any WWII operation of that nature shows how confused and bloody even successful opposed landsings are, and that's with resources beyond our wildest dreams. That we got a decent-sized force on the island at all means it's a success by our standards. But yeesh. I'll miss the Reaper.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
So how do we get Cobbie back off the island if we have no more helicoptors? :thunk:

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

I'll get the mission up tomorrow. tl;dr, it went OK, I screwed up the bomb loadout on the AMX's. I'll be sure to rectify this in an IC manner down the road. Overall it went well. Just say that the ground crew loaded Paveways instead of JDAM's due to a bad batch of Russian Vodka.

Losses and Expenditures for us, and them below.

US

1x F-4E Phantom II
6x Infantry Section [7.62mm MG/Unguided Infantry Anti Tank Weapon]
3x Mi-8MT Hip H
1x MQ-9B Reaper-ER Blk 5 UAV
1x SAS Saboteur
1x Tornado IDS

(Cobbie Survived)

THEM

1x CC-150T Polaris [Airbus A.310-300 MRTT]
4x F/A-18A Hornet [CF-188A]
1x UH-60L Blackhawk

4x 20mm/85 Vulcan M167 [500 rnds]
3x A-37B Dragonfly [Super Tweet]
3x Aster TEL
1x F 792 Premier Maître L' Her [A 69]
6x FN-6 MANPADS
3x Infantry Section [7.62mm MG/Unguided Infantry Anti Tank Weapon]
2x P 6141 S 41 Tiger [Type 148]
2x R.440 Crotale NG
1x Radar (GM 406 Ground Master)
1x Radar (Master-T)
4x Roland 3
4x Su-25K Frogfoot A

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yooper posted:

I'll get the mission up tomorrow. tl;dr, it went OK, I screwed up the bomb loadout on the AMX's. I'll be sure to rectify this in an IC manner down the road. Overall it went well. Just say that the ground crew loaded Paveways instead of JDAM's due to a bad batch of Russian Vodka.

Losses and Expenditures for us, and them below.

(Cobbie Survived)

:toot:

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

power crystals posted:

ps I'm keeping the trailer, gently caress you all :v:

maybe that gets us a discount on the next UAV. Also, I don't think anyone wants it now what with all the cumstains you've added

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

So I'm making a shopping list for after our next mission/the second half of our current mission, and the discord has decided that we might need more CAP than CAS. Flankers and Eagles have been thrown around, as well as Foxhounds and Bugs.

If you have any plane suggestions, speak up via PM or @ me in the discord. Otherwise I'm gonna open Google Docs sometime tomorrow/later today after I get some loving sleep because holy poo poo it's 0130 hrs ET over here and start working on our future shopping trip.

HereticMIND fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jul 12, 2017

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
That wasn't as bad as it could have been! So, for the moment we Have most of our men on the island but kinda dropped them right where the heavy artillery is so we kinda need to get them backup asap, but upside is we do have at least (localized) air superiority so can do a lot of ground strikes in short order to give them backup? Or I missing what our general operational status is at this point?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRcjX9wjZXQ

More details on the mission to follow later today. (Payout, etc.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

HereticMIND posted:

So I'm making a shopping list for after our next mission/the second half of our current mission, and the discord has decided that we might need more CAP than CAS. Flankers and Eagles have been thrown around, as well as Foxhounds and Bugs.

If you have any plane suggestions, speak up via PM or @ me in the discord. Otherwise I'm gonna open Google Docs sometime tomorrow/later today after I get some loving sleep because holy poo poo it's 0130 hrs ET over here and start working on our future shopping trip.

I don't know what's even the point of this until we know how the next procurement round is going to work. If it's buy a single package like the last two then just assume whichever option has the most Gripens will win. I'm pretty sure we aren't seeing a freeform one ever again regardless, in which case all you can really do is collate peoples' preferences to try to influence the choices presented, and I don't think "people want high end multirole fighters" is going to be news to anyone.

Kilonum posted:

maybe that gets us a discount on the next UAV. Also, I don't think anyone wants it now what with all the cumstains you've added

I will have you know MEAT is far too neat to have this be a problem.