Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Regarde Aduck posted:

Would you rather we no deal?
It's better than a bad deal! :suicide:

e: 269 years ago there's a series of earthquakes in London after John Canton develops a method of making artificial magnets, 'Captain' James MacLaine is hanged.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Feb 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
who’s jess phillips

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Regarde Aduck posted:

I don't see how an extension is going to change the answer to that question.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Regarde Aduck posted:

The extension will do nothing. Labour aren't voting for this poo poo deal, not when they'd be rightfully blamed for accepting the rancid turd. May isn't changing her deal because she's psychopathic. She won't let go of power either. If we're going to no-deal, lets no-deal quickly.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

bump_fn posted:

who’s jess phillips

Labour MP for part of Birmingham

lemonadesweetheart posted:

I don't see how an extension is going to change the answer to that question.

A hundred years from now, schoolchildren will be taught, "Technically, the UK is still in the process of leaving the EU..."

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Gort posted:

Labour MP for part of Birmingham

is she the lexiter

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Reminder that Jess Phillips is literally best friends with Jacob Rees Mogg

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Aphex- posted:

I do think it's funny that a few month's extension is possible because like gently caress are they going to do anything constructive with that time. They haven't been doing anything for two whole years so what the gently caress are they going to do with a few extra months? It's just a complete farce.

Brexit: It's just a complete farce

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

baka kaba posted:

But yeah it still sounds like issues with the upstream being saturated - I'm guessing the internet's generally fine for everyone even if you're streaming a bunch of 4K video or whatever? Also if you're all on wi-fi you should probably make sure it's not just a flaky signal on that

You could run some pings and the like to get some data for the techs, but they should be asking for that anyway if they need it
I'm on ethernet and yeah, when it's working it's fine for everyone in the house to be doing whatever they want with the internet. I'll wait and see what happens when the engineer has been to the cabinet - I was just pissing around with various speedtests and I currently get comically different results each time. :v:

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1100394512315076609

Well then.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

is theresa may one of the most incompetent world leaders in history, or is she merely a standard level of incompetence given a situation even a competent person would struggle with

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
Transport industry, pallet makers, logistics companies and UK government: Ohh, hey, we have a problem with pallets, it's kind of a big deal.

Random Quitling: Well I'm in the transport industry and i've got lots of pallets so this is fake news.

When Gove said we've had enough of experts, what he meant was that stupid people don't understand what an expert is.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Endorph posted:

is theresa may one of the most incompetent world leaders in history, or is she merely a standard level of incompetence given a situation even a competent person would struggle with

Normally I'd say the latter, however she chose to take the job knowing full well what kind of shitshow was coming, so...

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Endorph posted:

Like all Tories, she has no concept of an 'equal', which makes consensus and compromise intellectually impossible

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Grey Hunter posted:

Yeah, the alliance side of things was always viewed with distrust - we needed to get to 0.0 space, so needed to be in one, but hell if we never gave any alliance we were in more than the bare minimum

Still more politcall sense than 75% of the Tory party.

If you want to leave the Eura trade hub and make it out into WTO-space, you need a plan better than ‘hit the warp button and see what happens’.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

You can get drink supplements that add fibre. Still not great but I'd rather drink a glass of fairly grim orange squash a day than choke down plain veg.

you disgusting loving goon

this is you https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJGIMd3_LfY&t=132s

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Endorph posted:

It's impossible to tell because honestly I don't think there's anyone who could handle Brexit successfully, because the bar for success is functionally impossible to reach, even if you only look at the demands of one side of the shitshow, let alone both.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Gonzo McFee posted:

Jess Philips is being broken against the rocks as she begins to realise that the Tories aren't the natural party of power and that they're all just a bunch of posh chancers too deluded to realises that they're chancers.

Probably what has broken her is the realisation that no matter how much she toadies up to them, she'll never really be part of their club.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

MrFlibble posted:

The extension will do nothing. Labour aren't voting for this poo poo deal, not when they'd be rightfully blamed for accepting the rancid turd. May isn't changing her deal because she's psychopathic. She won't let go of power either. If we're going to no-deal, lets no-deal quickly.

Lmao

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

https://twitter.com/Momo__Hart/status/1098468791699361793

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Good lord those poor cats

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
We are now in hour three of thIs May grilling and anyone who is anyone who has left, even the Labour front bench is having a nice lunch, and it’s just may say there with a couple of cronies getting bodied.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzyDUjsgZRo

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Jim McMahon is hurting my soul.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm now down some sort of internet rabbit hole, send help

https://twitter.com/SyIveonIsTrans/status/1070875460156952576

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

*prime minister responds with machine-like reiteration of her script*

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Endorph posted:

She took on this position promising to make brexit happen. That's all she's focused on. She doesn't care if it's a good or bad thing, or if it should or shouldn't happen. She's been hired for one last job and she's gonna see it done

So is she actually incompetent? Like she shouldn't be PM, yeah, but that's everyone else's problem. As far as ramming this through no matter what, fending off all attackers, she's doing pretty well? There's no style or finesse to it, turns out you don't need that though - you can just lie and stonewall and people will go ok let's see how this new development plays out

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
I went and had a big old feed on some good chinese buffet at lunchtime and I put on some brexit calories

Is it worth watching jam man today at least or should I just keep ignoring this loving farce of a nation?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

it might slow down climate change assuming we don't all die

The threat of nuclear winter (and global fallout death) is kinda overstated since improvements in weapon and delivery system design meant that people aren't lobbing multiple megatons in the general direction of cities.

India and Pakistan have, combined, less than 200 warheads, none of which are thought to be over 100kt yield - if they all let them off at once it's still less megatonnage than the Tsar Bomba or Ivy Mike, and because of course they're all much smaller weapons they'd put much less material into the upper atmosphere than either of those tests. It'd gently caress their poo poo up pretty bad, and climbing Everest would have some new and exciting challenges* for a few years afterwards, but the global effects would be basically zero.

* Which reminds me of one interesting "solution" to climate change - if we were to bury all of the world's warheads under the Himalayas and let them off at once, it'd have several beneficial effects. First, the dust released into the stratosphere would lower temperatures in the northern hemisphere for several years. Second, the large amount of granite uncovered would weather much more quickly than the unbroken Himalayas, removing a large amount of CO2 from the atmosphere in the medium-long term (the raising of the Himalayas was one contributer to the last Ice Age through that effect). Third, killing a billion or so people would probably help a bit. Alright they didn't say that last one but it seemed to be there between the lines.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Necrothatcher posted:

*prime minister responds with machine-like reiteration of her script*

Don't worry news at 10 is just going to run the simples quote and idiots across the land will hail her for knowing the meerkats off the telly

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1100409275761868800

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

And they'd know all about being objectionable, arf arf.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Yeah I suppose I should have said that we should extend article 50 and then in the extra month or so our country will realize how dumb leaving the EU is and May herself will personally stop Brexit.

You loving moron.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

MrFlibble posted:

Yeah I suppose I should have said that we should extend article 50 and then in the extra month or so our country will realize how dumb leaving the EU is and May herself will personally stop Brexit.

You loving moron.

I know nobody likes SG but you're being a bit of an idiot here. I'm as sick of Brexit as everyone else but if No Deal is going to happen regardless (which isn't a given) then the longer it's delayed the longer civil servants have to prepare and mitigate the worst effects. Stuff like the pallets issue only coming to light now should make that clear.

Also someone said the EU were the ones who could dictate the length of the extension - if that's true I don't think they'd accept just a couple of months, because it's obvious nothing would get done towards a workable deal in that time.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
I'm glad the desire to just jump the country off a cliff has now infected remainers.

I'm not actually glad. I'm not glad at all.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Maugrim posted:

(which isn't a given)

lmao

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
This article about the murder of Jo Cox and the response on the context of the ruse of white supremacy may be of interest to the thread.

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/ful...ampaign=buffer&

quote:

ABSTRACT

This article considers responses to the murder of a British Member of Parliament, Jo Cox, in June 2016. Cox, a white woman, was assassinated by a white supremacist whose violent hatred extended to white people he deemed “collaborators” and who also exhibited strong misogyny. Cox is remembered for the message in her first speech to Parliament (“we have more in common than that which divides us”) and a “More in Common” campaign was established in her memory. The article situates Cox’s assassination alongside other recent attacks on female, feminist, and racially minoritized political leaders in the UK. Considering feminist and colonial resonances of domestication, the article argues that while the message of “More in Common” holds appeal, the figuring of Cox as foremost a (white) wife and mother has prevented a political confrontation with the misogynist white supremacy of the society in which this violence occurs.

Available for free until end of April.

Lobster God fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Feb 26, 2019

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Re Chuka:
A prophet walks amongst us (not necessarily itt)

quote:

burial_archangel
2 points
·
3 years ago
I suspect given his age he's thought better of it and will stand in 2020 instead. It's becoming apparent just how much of a poisoned chalice it is this time around.

https://www.reddit.com/r/unitedkingdom/comments/368fat/so_what_was_the_chuka_umunna_scandal/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Maugrim posted:

I know nobody likes SG but you're being a bit of an idiot here. I'm as sick of Brexit as everyone else but if No Deal is going to happen regardless (which isn't a given) then the longer it's delayed the longer civil servants have to prepare and mitigate the worst effects. Stuff like the pallets issue only coming to light now should make that clear.

Also someone said the EU were the ones who could dictate the length of the extension - if that's true I don't think they'd accept just a couple of months, because it's obvious nothing would get done towards a workable deal in that time.

Not to mention that if the worst-case stuff with broken supply lines, food shortages, lack of vital medicines and so on comes to pass following a no-deal Brexit, giving people an extra month or two to prepare is probably going to save lives. If the choice is between chaos and woe now or chaos and woe in two months time, why are you so keen on the former?