Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I hope the Navi space ships come out of the ground and they travel to earth and blow up Washington DC (cinematically)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I really wish the native insurrection/resistance stuff had lasted longer, that was a neat premise and made for a cool setpiece. Some of the more effective parts of these movies are the ones that highlight the contrast between human and Na'vi aesthetics by putting them side by side; it makes the Na'vi and Pandora feel a little more alien and humanity feel more sterile in comparison. It's actually kind of a good trick by Cameron, especially in the first movie; when it's just Na'vi on screen, they're human enough in design and attitudes to be relatable, but put them next to actual humans and there's just enough weirdness to make them feel off.

Also apparently I'm blind, because I didn't realize regular Na'vi and Avatars had different numbers of fingers until this movie explicitly pointed it out.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Tea Party Crasher posted:

How are the humans losing when at the start of the movie the retro burn from their rockets is enough to decimate vast swaths of forest. The humans obviously don't give a gently caress about ruining the environment so why act precious and engage in boots on the ground warfare.

They literally have immortality juice and the ability to upload consciousness to vat grown bodies. Do they just have a humiliation fetish or something? Are we going to get to Avatar 5 and it turns out the whole time this war was just a reality television show with producers sending clone armies across the galaxy to see authentic alien action?

The navi are a race of like giant super soldiers that know the ins and outs of Pandoran geography and can mount huge gently caress off dragons. And after this movie, we know they befriend other sentient megafauna who presumably can/will eventually get recruited to help them in their fight against the human colonizers -- this is assuming the tulkun move beyond their "no killing" ideology after best spirit brother Payakan tells them all what the gently caress is up with these colonizer assholes.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
missed opportunity not to call them the Na'vy really

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Why didn't they make the motivations of the god-like planetary intelligence network more straightforward for me, the viewer. A bad movie.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Turn your brain off for his one folks. I wish someone would make a movie of the badass space vampire book instead.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Turn your brain off for his one folks. I wish someone would make a movie of the badass space vampire book instead.

Somebody did.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

euphronius posted:

Also the human factions are evil but I don’t think they are (yet) completely eliminationalsit (not on spellcheck idk)

I think this was actually fine left unsaid. Cameron doesn't need to explain that the humans will become eliminationist settlers. We've seen this play out so many times in history it doesn't need explaining.

For me the dropship incinerating the forest was a great piece of visual storytelling. It tells you everything you need to know about General Falco's plan: it's genocidal and doomed to failure.

The humans are taking the one thing they need so desperately - a functioning biosphere - and in the process of taking it they'll destroy it because that's the totalizing logic of the capitalist system.

The humans are dead either way. The only thing left to be decided is whether they take Pandora with them.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

I wish someone would make a movie of the badass space vampire book instead.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

It's not the same book, but does the anime involving space vampires count?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQX0jclEzXg

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Arglebargle III posted:

The humans are dead either way. The only thing left to be decided is whether they take Pandora with them.

The tulkuns won't let that happen... I hope :ohdear:

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

teagone posted:

The tulkuns won't let that happen... I hope :ohdear:

I mean their principles seem to stop them from doing anything about the humans hunting them down so I wouldn't peg them as the ones to do something.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Tea Party Crasher posted:

I mean their principles seem to stop them from doing anything about the humans hunting them down so I wouldn't peg them as the ones to do something.

I spoilered it in another post hoping that Payakan will be the difference maker in getting the other tulkuns to make an exception for the human colonizers :black101:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

I think this was actually fine left unsaid. Cameron doesn't need to explain that the humans will become eliminationist settlers. We've seen this play out so many times in history it doesn't need explaining.

For me the dropship incinerating the forest was a great piece of visual storytelling. It tells you everything you need to know about General Falco's plan: it's genocidal and doomed to failure.

The humans are taking the one thing they need so desperately - a functioning biosphere - and in the process of taking it they'll destroy it because that's the totalizing logic of the capitalist system.

I like how it shows there are humans in the system who know it’s wrong and they are powerless (or deem themselves powerless) to do anything. “That’s why I drink”

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I think it sent a really clear message - the man who knows what he's doing is wrong but does it anyway is still a villain. The only way to be a human hero is to grab something heavy and smash the controls.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

I think it sent a really clear message - the man who knows what he's doing is wrong but does it anyway is still a villain. The only way to be a human hero is to grab something heavy and smash the controls.

I had the impression that quaritch was disgusted several times by the attitude towards the whales but choose to ignore his feelings in service of his goal.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
I'm putting my thoughts here because lol as if anyone I know is either going to see the movie/want to hear my thoughts on it

Spoilers but why you reading this deep into the thread if you don't want spoilers

1. what the gently caress was with the insurgency just disappearing when Sully leaves and what the gently caress was I'm gonna quit if my kids are in danger, you were already sending them on raiding parties dude and presumably all those other Na'vi in the insurgency are someone's kids

2. Jim, I've seen that shark hunt sequence in the little mermaid and finding nemo already, spend some of your billion dollars on originality

3. All in all the action spectacle was a whole lot less cool than in Avatar, where's the maximalist blowing up poo poo in the second half of the film. A whaling boat and some dinghies ain't big enough.

4. Avatar vs avatar combat sucks because it's the default of the film, the original film had the right idea with the avatar vs. huge robot climax, you need better contrast for the basic as hell fight choreography you've got, oh cool an mma style choke out. that would have sucked in Terminator 2 (why couldn't that Cameron still be making movies?).

5. If the colonel kills a poo poo load of Na'vi in the next film that kid was dumb as gently caress and he should be absolutely guilt stricken for his dumb decision

6. Pretty okay spectacle movie overall that doesn't reach the heights needed to justify it's budget super skippable, feels like two movies with the first being abbreviated, but avoids most of the pitfalls of being a midquel.

7. I've seen enough of water, hate that the next movie is going to be more water poo poo, shows us snow Pandora or lava Pandora or some other environment, spectacle needs novelty

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
It is kind of wild that the tulkun get hunted regularly enough that they have a whole routine operation going on, but they've never mentioned it to the sea na'vi - presumably each year the migration party conversations are very awkward from the tulkun side when Bob and Jane are missing and they just pretend they migrated to a farm in the country.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last
I want them to go to the desert biome where the local Na'vi are jacking into the giant eywa cactus

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

xiw posted:

It is kind of wild that the tulkun get hunted regularly enough that they have a whole routine operation going on, but they've never mentioned it to the sea na'vi - presumably each year the migration party conversations are very awkward from the tulkun side when Bob and Jane are missing and they just pretend they migrated to a farm in the country.

They Metkayina did know, but the whalers kept their hunting to beyond the reef and never hunted any soul bonded tulkun closer to their home. The Metkayina respected the tulkun's wishes of not interfering/killing the hunters. Everything changed when Quaritch commandeered one of the whaler boats and killed a soul bonded tulkun, worse yet, a tulkun soul bonded to the Metkayina's Tsahik/shaman/spiritual leader.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

xiw posted:

Doesn't the sea chief guy mention something about how they've always done it far away from there (where presumably it would be too far to help them?) but now this is happening right on their doorstep?

It seemed less like they didn't know and more that there was nothing they could do. At least I think I remember some line like that but I guess I'd have to watch it again to see.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Just got out of the movie. The audience was super into it, people crying at the whale hunt scene, people quietly saying "yes" when the whalers got hosed up, etc. The lady beside me all but screamed every time there was a little jump scare of people popping into frame. I could have done without the 3D, I don't think it added much. I surprisingly loved the HFR though, I thought Cameron made good use of it. I appreciated how cheesy and earnest it was once I leaned into it.

Cameron obviously loves machines, so the final act kind of read like "looked at the fuckin sick machines killing nature. I hate them so much, but they're so cool".
I wish Quaritch stayed dead. As it is I think he's going to become a wild card character, a la Agent Smith.

Overall I think it will work in terms of accomplishing Cameron's goal of getting more people to educate themselves of just how destructive commercial resource extraction & fishing is. And the marine biologist character shows Cameron understands a lot of people in those industries hate it, but that's capitalism. I think the message was diluted by the existence of the super valuable resource though, could have done without that entirely and just have whalers exist for the same reason they still exist today.

Since goons earlier in the thread were confused: The eclipse is just sunset, not a big special event. And the scene at the end with Sully and his son was on Pandora. It had big blue alien ferns in the background.

stratdax fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Dec 19, 2022

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

stratdax posted:

Since goons earlier in the thread were confused: The eclipse is just sunset, not a big special event. And the scene at the end with Sully and his son was on Pandora. It had big blue alien ferns in the background.

Were the ferns in a gully?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

stratdax posted:

And the scene at the end with Sully and his son was on Pandora. It had big blue alien ferns in the background.

It was only one goon, and I'm not even sure how they ever thought Jake and his son were on earth lmao.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
Fernsully

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

The school I work at took its students to see the movie today... and the quality of 3D really did not make up for the pace and storytelling the second time around. I wound up walking out to have a coffee until the movie ended. It's just kind of tedious and the spectacle doesn't hold up on the second run. A bunch of the students also wound up trying to leave to walk around the mall, but I had to send them back in since they can't be running around unsupervised 😂. Anyway, I have no idea what the general popular perception will be, but my students seem to have found it boring.

I saw the first Avatar about 10 times in theaters and loved the 3D thrill ride each time. But idk maybe it's just not as novel a decade and change later, or maybe the poor storytelling is just too heavy a weight for me this time.

Witeldram
Feb 22, 2022

I liked it but the first one was so much better.

- The movie introduced way too many characters. I felt so unattached to Jake's children because there were just so many of them. The character deaths in the first one (Tsu'tey, Grace, Trudey) all felt impactful but the death of one of the sons in this movie didn't bear much weight.
- I wish the movie actually tried to close certain arcs (Kiri's father and Quaritch's fate) instead of leaving them ambiguous for a sequel. The first film's plot was so simple but cohesive so it felt like a complete movie, in contrast this movie is three hours long but leaves so many questions unanswered.
- Spider was really annoying.
- Best part of the film for me is easily the worldbuilding with the Metkayina Clan. I wish they delved more into the philosophy behind the "way of water" though.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It rules that for years people will argue about avatar 2's box office without the context that there's a huge covid outbreak in China the release week.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Bedshaped posted:

Worst part in the entire film was when the two characters who should know for sure there is neuralconnectivity with all of Pandora's organisms say some dumb poo poo so the movie can tell us how good alternative medicine is.

Three years of a pandemic. All the lives saved by the medicines developed through it and all I can say is that I hate this loving poo poo!

….. lmao

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
She had a seizure not COVID-19 dude

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

They gave kiri the Na'vi ivermectin to cure her

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

The REAL Goobusters posted:

She had a seizure not COVID-19 dude

And they showed shamanism as a more effective cure than scientific analysis, in an era where goofy "holistic" healing is gaining traction and vaccines are viewed with skepticism. You get what he's complaining about.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

The Saddest Rhino posted:

They gave kiri the Na'vi ivermectin to cure her

The alternative was getting disinfectant and UV light into the lungs

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
It’s a fantasy movie clearly on an alien planet, not an active disinformation campaign promising secret science the global deep state doesn’t want you to have. People can see the difference.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
Maybe they can't but if so, then this movie wasn't tipping that mental balance

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Witeldram posted:

I liked it but the first one was so much better.

- The movie introduced way too many characters. I felt so unattached to Jake's children because there were just so many of them. The character deaths in the first one (Tsu'tey, Grace, Trudey) all felt impactful but the death of one of the sons in this movie didn't bear much weight.

- Spider was really annoying.

Agreed. I feel like this movie centered a lot of it's drama around the kids/family which was an issue for me because I didn't care about any of them. Their relationship with Jake seemed one note, with him just non-stop lecturing them for getting themselves in danger. And then what do they do next? Get themselves in danger and get yelled at. And the cycle just repeats until one of the sons dies.

And yeah, Spider had me cringing a couple of times. Also why the gently caress did he save the colonel from drowning, not only is that pointless franchise wise because he can just be brought back to life anyway, but it just doesn't seem in character what we see of Spider. He seems too ride or die for the Na'Vi to play lifeguard for a war criminal that is a clone of his dad.

I did laugh at that hostage exchange tho. "We're not even the same species." :smuggo:

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

If your faith in modern medicine can be shaken by Avatar: Way of the Water, I don't think there's enough information versus disinformation to save you from eventually buying vibrational healing crystals.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

After watching Avatar: Way of the Water i'm going to kiss a whale and know we'll be soulmates

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Bugblatter posted:

And they showed shamanism as a more effective cure than scientific analysis, in an era where goofy "holistic" healing is gaining traction and vaccines are viewed with skepticism. You get what he's complaining about.

The movie was pretty careful to not imply that the shaman stuff actually did anything. The humans moved out of the room out of respect, not out of belief. Both movies aren't doing any kind of science vs magic narrative, the humans in the story have a decent grasp of the ecology of the planet, they just don't give a poo poo about it beyond it's ability to produce capital.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The whole human invasion thing is pretty clearly analogous to settler-colonialism, with the first cycles being exploration and resource extraction, establishing a beachhead and trying to drive off the natives to access valuable resources. The city's construction is the next step- building long-term settlements, not just base camps, and with the intent of expansion through dispossession, genocide and environmental destruction.

Also that Cameron has openly compared it to Dune makes me lol at the possibility it ends with the Sully middle child becoming a whale god-emperor