Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

everything in 4. is incredible

one weekend a month pls :nyoron:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I dunno what this job entails but I'd totally believe it requires waiting hand and foot on the senior guys and doing boar on the floor or whatever and if you don't want to do it it's just your own weakness and you can't hack it in this industry, not a team player etc etc, finance is full of toxic masculinity hazing poo poo like that

If it really was just reading emails they wouldn't be so timid about the demands here imo, they'd either just read their emails on the golf course and cash their checks or they'd get a big head and ask for "normal business hours" and "work life balance" and other such pussy poo poo

Brimruk
Jun 5, 2009

RealityWarCriminal posted:

everything in 4. is incredible

one weekend a month pls :nyoron:

Putting myself in an early grave so my boss can get overpaid even harder :psypop:

Edit: salary range is 86 - 122k (nationwide I'm assuming) so good money but 100% not worth dying at 35 what teh gently caress.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i recall a similar thing happened to a goldman sachs intern in london, which as far as i can gather is basically some form of squid game where you see which candidate can last the longest without sleep and they get the job

the whole long hours = good is so moronic that it only makes sense in a cosseted banking firm

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord

Tempora Mutantur posted:

snorting coke for even 80 hours a week is pretty taxing I'd imagine

yeah it probably wasnt the hours that killed him, it was all the stimulants he needed to stay awake that long

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
how are they even tracking hours. do they bill hours to clients ?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

lol I just worked a 72hr EMS week (easy OT assignments) and it loving sucked being away from home that much. I’ve cobbled together a few 96’s over the years when I actually liked my job still and it was absolute murder. gently caress working >40hrs a week, what are we even doing here?

We should be working no more than 32hrs a week anyway, gently caress the rich.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Jel Shaker posted:

i recall a similar thing happened to a goldman sachs intern in london, which as far as i can gather is basically some form of squid game where you see which candidate can last the longest without sleep and they get the job

the whole long hours = good is so moronic that it only makes sense in a cosseted banking firm

yeah basically, this is just weaponized grindset poo poo. They're basically brainwashed cult members. They are puffing themselves up all big and scary to demand, in a loud and clarion voice, to only be worked 14 hours a day every day, MAXIMUM, and one weekend off per month if that's ok with you. Their idea of what is normal has been seriously warped.

Brimruk posted:

Putting myself in an early grave so my boss can get overpaid even harder :psypop:

Edit: salary range is 86 - 122k (nationwide I'm assuming) so good money but 100% not worth dying at 35 what teh gently caress.

like, this is comfortable-living money but you can easily make this much as a computer toucher or adjacent and work less than half the hours without having to Grima Wormtongue some ancient lich for years to have any hope of escape. If they were unbrainwashed they'd just quit

loquacius has issued a correction as of 14:12 on May 6, 2024

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

LeeMajors posted:

lol I just worked a 72hr EMS week (easy OT assignments) and it loving sucked being away from home that much. I’ve cobbled together a few 96’s over the years when I actually liked my job still and it was absolute murder. gently caress working >40hrs a week, what are we even doing here?

We should be working no more than 32hrs a week anyway, gently caress the rich.

haha yeah, the watch thread is also pretty funny

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Jel Shaker posted:

thought this guy was a genius who could do no wrong

because of when he started investing, just simply being in the market would've meant he benefited massively from the expansion of finance over time. combine that with avoiding dumbass investing 101 mistakes and whatever funds you would've started with would've ballooned logarithmically

incidentally this kinda plays into a part of why so many of these finance types are Concerned about declining population growth. their entire careers have hinged onto specifically getting more and more people either buying into the market, which makes number go up, or working in the economy, which also makes number go up. when you run out of people to pull into the pyramid, number stops going up (without financial trickery)

FizFashizzle posted:

Death to finance etc but buffet has always been refreshingly honest that he simply got lucky a few times.

This (intentionally, I suspect) downplays it. he didn't get lucky and score off a lottery ticket, he got lucky by recognizing what sort of position he was in and parking himself right there and refusing to budge

Brimruk
Jun 5, 2009

loquacius posted:

yeah basically, this is just weaponized grindset poo poo. They're basically brainwashed cult members. They are puffing themselves up all big and scary to demand, in a loud and clarion voice, to only be worked 14 hours a day every day, MAXIMUM, and one weekend off per month if that's ok with you. Their idea of what is normal has been seriously warped.

like, this is comfortable-living money but you can easily make this much as a computer toucher or adjacent and work less than half the hours without having to Grima Wormtongue some ancient lich for years to have any hope of escape. If they were unbrainwashed they'd just quit

100 hours/week for 122k is like $25/hour and I'm guessing 122k is what they pay in NYC and other coastal cities. $25/hour an hour is what you can make in my Midwest state as a dental hygienist. Seems like a better deal but then I guess you do have to live in the Midwest and not do coke with sociopaths

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Brimruk posted:

100 hours/week for 122k is like $25/hour and I'm guessing 122k is what they pay in NYC and other coastal cities. $25/hour an hour is what you can make in my Midwest state as a dental hygienist. Seems like a better deal but then I guess you do have to live in the Midwest and not do coke with sociopaths

This may shock and unsettle you but they actually have dental hygienists in New York too

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

SKULL.GIF posted:

incidentally this kinda plays into a part of why so many of these finance types are Concerned about declining population growth.

Just short the population, idiots.

Brimruk
Jun 5, 2009

loquacius posted:

This may shock and unsettle you but they actually have dental hygienists in New York too

Yeah my bad, I was trying to make a point about the work/salary balance but I made that very poorly

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Miss u...

Lmao at the braindead MBA freaks standing up to fight for something that is still disgustingly exploitative. Coal Miners demanding that the bosses' goons only beat them up every second day

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

fits my needs posted:

haha yeah, the watch thread is also pretty funny

?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
But who watches the watch thread

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Horseshoe theory posted:

What's wrong with living with your parents...? :thunk:
yeah, why would I pay $1300 a month to live in a sardine can when I can just wake up and leave my bedroom to engage in emotional warfare every day for free

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Brimruk posted:

I think these guys are making a lot more than that, they're at the bank equivelant of a Big Law firm.

Still a poo poo job and not great in pay per hour, but these are the people that actually make Shrike's imaginary salaries.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
what do the ones who don’t get promoted do .

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
You're expected to work 100 hours a week just so the boss feels important.

Y MILLNAIL NO BABBY?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

skooma512 posted:

Y MILLNAIL NO BABBY?

previous generations would simply have children they never meet or speak to as status symbols

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

loquacius posted:

previous generations would simply have children they never meet or speak to as status symbols

sadly they no longer even have secretaries to knock up during work hours

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

skooma512 posted:

Y MILLNAIL NO BABBY?

These people only respond to domination. Work 20 hours and spend 80 hours loving the boss's wife/husband.

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀
Aren’t there still orientalist articles about Japanese working culture coming out?

In distant Nippon they have hazing, you work long, pointless, hours, productivity is less important than being a team player, you are expected to binge drink with your coworkers, your boss and senior peers will verbally abuse and humiliate you, you are expected to sacrifice your home life for the firm.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

CN CREW-VESSEL posted:

Aren’t there still orientalist articles about Japanese working culture coming out?

In distant Nippon they have hazing, you work long, pointless, hours, productivity is less important than being a team player, you are expected to binge drink with your coworkers, your boss and senior peers will verbally abuse and humiliate you, you are expected to sacrifice your home life for the firm.

the new hotness when it comes to japan is making fun of how old and sexless they are

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

at least in my field, most people are revolting over the outsized sacrifice expectations. any promotion is saddled with a complete seniority reset, dwindling raises and years of night shift work. most people with families have turned their backs on it and as a result we’ve had a huge exodus and an already-untenable medic shortage has become an outright crisis.

the response has been to hire more emt basics, cut our clinical standards and gaslight everyone into thinking everything is fine with creative time accounting.

this is in a government agency too—even in the vacuum of an actual profit motive.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Lmao
https://twitter.com/FirstSquawk/status/1787497895861624838?t=RjtxC4FBvPd8xn39sEyiOw&s=19
https://www.newyorkfed.org/newsevents/news/research/2024/20240506

https://twitter.com/EU_Commission/status/1787477158220193860?t=vl3ummBzuZJMzvono4cSBw&s=19

Mr Hootington has issued a correction as of 16:10 on May 6, 2024

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

In Training posted:

Max 80 hour work week is an insane demand. How easy is the job if regularly.working 80.- 100 hour weeks hasn't caused unrest in the past. Although ideologically you're already filtering for finance freaks anyway, so that probably helps

it's not easy, it's just not physical. the reason this has worked is because while it's exploitative hazing, it's built on the future promise of more money than any human being should be allowed to have. and because everyone before them has gone through it, everyone in charge of them is on "back in my day" bullshit.

surgical residents go through the same poo poo, 70-100 hour weeks in the first years. the difference is their job produces actual value.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

drat how many surgeries per week is that? no wonder american healthcare has no wait times

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

putting these two news items together makes it even funnier

https://twitter.com/unusual_whales/status/1785285975683596765

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

hordes of unemployed programmers, finance-bros and physicians being gunned down by a robot dog in the bread lines

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

LeeMajors posted:

at least in my field, most people are revolting over the outsized sacrifice expectations. any promotion is saddled with a complete seniority reset, dwindling raises and years of night shift work. most people with families have turned their backs on it and as a result we’ve had a huge exodus and an already-untenable medic shortage has become an outright crisis.

the response has been to hire more emt basics, cut our clinical standards and gaslight everyone into thinking everything is fine with creative time accounting.

this is in a government agency too—even in the vacuum of an actual profit motive.

Between baby boomers starting to age out of the workforce, COVID killing and disabling millions, and reactionary immigration policies the reserve army of labor just isn't there like it used to be and if your job sucks rear end you can just leave in many cases and find a better job that at least pays enough to cover food and a roof over your head and it's causing havoc for a lot of petty tyrants.

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

it's not easy, it's just not physical. the reason this has worked is because while it's exploitative hazing, it's built on the future promise of more money than any human being should be allowed to have. and because everyone before them has gone through it, everyone in charge of them is on "back in my day" bullshit.

surgical residents go through the same poo poo, 70-100 hour weeks in the first years. the difference is their job produces actual value.

Supreme court clerks do it too, I would imagine other lawyers articling or whatever is before the bar. It’s part of hazing for junior military officers too. I know someone who went to school for sports management and another for stage direction, and somehow, those also required insane hours to prove your dedication to the Toronto Maple Leafs and Mirvish Theatres, because anyone off the street would kill to have those jobs.

It’s like the ritual abuse and humiliation is supposed to add to the prestige of these careers in august institutions, and yeah everybody else “back in the day” went through it.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Thoguh posted:

Between baby boomers starting to age out of the workforce, COVID killing and disabling millions, and reactionary immigration policies the reserve army of labor just isn't there like it used to be and if your job sucks rear end you can just leave in many cases and find a better job that at least pays enough to cover food and a roof over your head and it's causing havoc for a lot of petty tyrants.

absolutely. I’d be gone already if the health insurance wasn’t at least *relatively* good and inexpensive. At least covering pediatric stuff for my kiddo.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

CN CREW-VESSEL posted:

Supreme court clerks do it too, I would imagine other lawyers articling or whatever is before the bar. It’s part of hazing for junior military officers too. I know someone who went to school for sports management and another for stage direction, and somehow, those also required insane hours to prove your dedication to the Toronto Maple Leafs and Mirvish Theatres, because anyone off the street would kill to have those jobs.

It’s like the ritual abuse and humiliation is supposed to add to the prestige of these careers in august institutions, and yeah everybody else “back in the day” went through it.

classical music also. if you want a secure, permanent seat with a major (unionized) orchestra or theater you have to practice your rear end off for 60-100 hours a week, getting paid by no one for it. then you have to go through the gauntlet of multi-day auditions where everyone is playing everything perfectly, and it's up to the whims of Taste who advances each round. then you have a 1-3 year probationary period where you have to be a perfect musician and colleague before your eligible for the real contract.

TT in Academia is also a hazing ritual as well of course

Brimruk
Jun 5, 2009
All of this analyst discussion has reminded me how much the term "quiet quitting" has been boiling my blood lately. Because every article from the blood-sucking fuckers pushing this literally defines it as 'people doing exactly what they are paid for'

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀
Academia is unbelievably bad. I was dragged in front of an academic integrity board as a grad student because a professor thought I had used too many citations, and only later discovered he put a certain amount of students in front of the dean every semester to retain his reputation as a critical and unwavering professional or whatever.

He provided me with single word feedback on my work all semester but meticulously compiled 30 pages of “evidence” I had to defend in the hearing. He cared more about asserting his status to the rest of the faculty than actually teaching, hence the disparity of effort. It was a pretty harrowing experience, but I don’t think it made me feel like I had passed through a ritual and belonged, it just really loving pissed me off at the Canadian Forces College and RMC.

That feeling of being subject to the whims of brilliant people at the top of their profession who are using you as a prop to prove their brilliance only increased as I went through further studies. It’s just like, in that movie Whiplash, if you’re young, and impressionable, and believe the hype about the institution, you’re willing to accept it and pass through that sort of process.

CN CREW-VESSEL has issued a correction as of 16:40 on May 6, 2024

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Thoguh posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Miss u...

Lazy Greeks still refusing to work. Maybe some more austerity can get them to shape up