Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Sagani is chill and down to earth. She's committed but not zealous, she just seems genuinely likeable. If I was going to travel far and wide, I'd love to have someone like that with me, telling stories about Naasitaq and dishing out mad damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

She's one of my favorite characters because I love work-a-day characters in fantasy settings. All this crazy poo poo going on, she just has a job to do, and she's trying to do it. She's normal and relatable and helps ground and frame the rest of the action.
This guy gets it.

frajaq posted:

how can anyone like Sagani as a companion

This guy's a BITCH

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Octo1 posted:

What voice do you think would fit a dwarven eskimo ranger?

nolan north

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

What everyone's said already, plus rangers and ciphers are also nothing alike unless you play the cipher really badly. :psyduck:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

*first time in caed nua*

"my husband would have had this place fixed up in a day!"

awesome, gently caress you, hope you like staring at the inside of the castle for the rest of the game

rangers are objectively worse ciphers plus the added "fun" of having a pet to micro around

people who dislike pets can get the gently caress out.

"Wah, wah, hitting the pause button is soooooo hard. It totally makes it not worth having the single largest DPS class feature in the game'

pet squad supremacy. :rock:

Also yeah, Ciphers are nothing like Rangers at all. Rangers are insane ranged DPS while Ciphers are more jack of all trades debuffers and status guys.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

*first time in caed nua*

"my husband would have had this place fixed up in a day!"

awesome, gently caress you, hope you like staring at the inside of the castle for the rest of the game

rangers are objectively worse ciphers plus the added "fun" of having a pet to micro around

I love the NPCs dissing your castle. The game does far too much to lovingly stroke the players ego by immediately setting you up as a nobleman with superpowers.

Rangers and ciphers are nothing alike, though ciphers are obviously superior due to caster supremacy. Rangers occupy an odd place, but between them and the pet, they can do far, far more damage through normal attacks than a cipher ever could and provide two targets to absorb incoming damage.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Zore posted:

Also yeah, Ciphers are nothing like Rangers at all. Rangers are insane ranged DPS while Ciphers are more jack of all trades debuffers and status guys.

i think youre playing cipher wrong

antipathetic field
amplified thrust
ectopsychic echo
amplified wave
motherfucking reaping knives

oh did someone say complete domination of enemies from level 1?
you should look up what defensive mindweb does

cipher literally does double/triple ranger damage PLUS has insane utility spells MINUS having to macro a pet around

ranger does more dps if you exclusively autoattack, in which case sure i guess you win that one???

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

i think youre playing cipher wrong

antipathetic field
amplified thrust
ectopsychic echo
amplified wave
motherfucking reaping knives

oh did someone say complete domination of enemies from level 1?
you should look up what defensive mindweb does

cipher literally does double/triple ranger damage PLUS has insane utility spells MINUS having to macro a pet around

ranger does more dps if you exclusively autoattack, in which case sure i guess you win that one???

Have you actually used a Ranger since Patch 3.0?

Because the pet will probably outdamage that poo poo by itself now. Also a lot of those things were nerfed, damage-wise.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Octo1 posted:

Eh, I could see having given her some sort of accent. Like how Palegina has a sort of Italian(?) accent going on (presumably) because she's from the Valian republics, which are a sort of renaissance Italy analogue.

Like, Sagani is supposed to be from a far more distant and foreign culture (to the Dyrwood) then Palegina is, but sounds like she grew up in the house next door to Eder. Not a big thing, but I noticed it too.

I wonder if Pillars 2 is going to have some culture/accent focus for voice acting, where certain cultures get certain accents. I think some other games have done that.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Amplified Thrust was a pretty big early game crutch in my no-Vancian run, and Reaping Knives is still crazy good, but I have never seen a Cipher be anywhere near the top in terms of damage dealt.
In my games that spot has always been contested by Barbarians, Rogues, and I think Rangers, although the game doesn't track the animal companion so gently caress if I know how the class actually stacks up against the other top contenders.
e: I'm sure my Druid main and Hiravias were untouchable gods of destruction during my first playthrough, but 1.0 Druids had some pretty busted spells.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

She's one of my favorite characters because I love work-a-day characters in fantasy settings. All this crazy poo poo going on, she just has a job to do, and she's trying to do it. She's normal and relatable and helps ground and frame the rest of the action.
I don't even disagree with that, but Edér and Kana achieve that for me while also being more interesting and colorful personalities. Sagani has a mundane background and an unremarkable personality, so even though I like her I don't really care all that much about her.

She got better in White March, but still, the only time I had a strong reaction to anything Sagani said or did was when she committed suicide by blizzard in the epilogue; I think a "BULLSHIT!" may have escaped my lips then.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Oct 4, 2017

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
I think it's entirely fitting that people who again and again reveal their Bad Opinions about companions (like claiming Sagani is bad) always end up revealing how little they know about the game.

Ranger can easily end up being the most damaging class in the game, and it requires almost no min-maxing at all on top of that. No cunning strategies, no secret combos - it's just real loving good at what it does. The idea that a cipher, especially a patch 3.x cipher, is going to outdamage it, means you've done something terribly, terribly wrong with your rangers.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
My cipher was usually near the top of the damage totals but that was more an artifact of min-maxing stats for it (especially Might and Dex) and preferentially giving the best ranged gear to my PC. I didn't run Sagani much because she was competing for a backline slot with Aloth and my PC, and I generally prefer utility over raw damage, but I like her story and character and played out her quests.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Rangers rock. They're kind of a one trick pony but what they do they do really well, and they bring some nice utility too (stormcaller stuns, binding roots, pets).

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Zore posted:

Have you actually used a Ranger since Patch 3.0?

Because the pet will probably outdamage that poo poo by itself now. Also a lot of those things were nerfed, damage-wise.

i'm playing through 3.0 now and I'm level 10

they werent nerfed, their focus cost increased and they made them more powerful to compensate

it just makes you double down on accuracy and attackspeed

ProfessorCirno posted:

I think it's entirely fitting that people who again and again reveal their Bad Opinions about companions (like claiming Sagani is bad) always end up revealing how little they know about the game.

Ranger can easily end up being the most damaging class in the game, and it requires almost no min-maxing at all on top of that. No cunning strategies, no secret combos - it's just real loving good at what it does. The idea that a cipher, especially a patch 3.x cipher, is going to outdamage it, means you've done something terribly, terribly wrong with your rangers.
hehe wow got me. cipher does more damage though, sorry
they can end up the most powerful class in the game if you dont play monk or barb or cipher

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

hehe wow got me. cipher does more damage though, sorry

No. No, it really doesn't. Rangers are insanely good at high, consistent damage. It gets even better at level 13 with Twinned Arrows, and ranger's benefit from Stormcaller is so much better than cipher's. It's basically brokenly good.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Octo1 posted:

The Aleutian lady with dwarfism that I know has a slightly raspier voice but they're pretty similar.

Dick Burglar posted:

No. No, it really doesn't. Rangers are insanely good at high, consistent damage. It gets even better at level 13 with Twinned Arrows, and ranger's benefit from Stormcaller is so much better than cipher's. It's basically brokenly good.

I've gotten ittumak to do 190+ damage on his crits with buffs from Kana and debuffs from Sagani.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Wolpertinger posted:

I'm thinking I might try to give a shot at actually beating this game for once now that the second game is coming out soon (I always fizzle out like 1/3rd to halfway through, have never done expansions) and man, I am having so much trouble deciding on a PC. I have a big issue with having to decide between a character that I want to play, and a character that can pass all the dialogue checks that seem to be mostly resolve/per checks unless you want to start intimidating people. I tried making a priest of Eothas, and seeing a red unavailable [Resolve] check in every single conversation is driving me crazy and I've barely even started.

I heard paladins are good characters for getting tons of resolve and other dialogue stats, but after reading about what kind of paladin build would be good. turns out this is mostly only the case for specific orders - if I want to do kindly wayfarers it turns out that they are bizzarely some sort of dps class that revolves around on-kill heals that wants like 6 resolve and maxed Might/Int. Darcozzi seems to be more what I'd want mechanically, but Darcozzi paladins are honestly the most baffling order - all the other orders have some concrete ethos and ideal that they dedicate themselves to, but Darcozzi seem to be 'uh we like Old Vallian culture and are like.. cultural ambassadors, and I guess we're palace guards or something (why are we even here in Dyrwood) also we're witty'. It's just weird, especially since you don't really know anything at all about Old Vallian culture as it has essentially zero presence in the game and relevance to the plot or any of the characters. So, to get a paladin that's good at talking and fighting, I'd have to pick the lamest order.

Essentially I'm having some difficulties picking a character that is both fun/useful and good at talking.

You're way way overthinking this; your stats barely matter. If you want resolve options then take 17 resolve(rest bonuses or a single +3 item will put you at max check). If you want to be a tanky kind wayfarer then just do it and don't bother with the heal on kill talent, or do, whatever. The game is nowhere near hard enough that you can't just pick what you want for the most part, short of intentionally building something stupid. The consequences of dialogue options really aren't worth building a character around either, it generally just flavours quest resolution rather than gatekeeping content.

Ratios and Tendency fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Oct 4, 2017

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Ratios and Tendency posted:

You're way way overthinking this; your stats barely matter. If you want resolve options then take 17 resolve(rest bonuses or a single +3 item will put you at max check). If you want to be a tanky kind wayfarer then just do it and don't bother with the heal on kill talent, or do, whatever. The game is nowhere near hard enough that you can't just pick what you want for the most part, short of intentionally building something stupid.

It really is this. It's nearly impossible to make a character so bad they can't complete Normal difficulty at least, probably even Hard. I'm playing through Normal and nothing has given me serious problems that weren't easily solved with positioning and better character management. I don't care enough about buffs and consumables to want to bother with harder difficulties, but I have a feeling I'd do just fine even on Hard.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man
Does anyone know how to get the big rotatable character view that appears during level-up without actually being in the level-up screen?

I want to take some hawt screen shots.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I feel like a lot of people underestimate rangers because they're not flashy or complicated. Just boring steady single target damage, but they do huge amounts of it and they do it reliably and safely. Their active damage ability is a DoT. Most of their CC is passive on their autoattack, like interrupt and stunning shots.

Most of their weapons are even boring or bad. Almost all of the really good ones come late in the game. Guns and crossbows don't play nicely with ranger because of their reload times, and crossbows don't get Powder Burns or Twinned Arrows. Melee characters get tons of good options(Tidefall, Tall Grass, Bittercut, Mosquito, Spelltongue, Shatterstar, Resolution, Grey Sleeper, Redeemer, Vile Loner's Lance, Horn of St Rumbult, Resolution, etc). Lots of unique poo poo and lots of build defining stuff. An interrupt Barbarian with mosquito is vastly different than a Might-focused Barbarian with Tidefall.

Rangers, though, they just get just a small handful. Stormcaller, Borresaine, Persistance, and Rain of Godagh Field are the only ones I really remember, and the Rain of Godagh Field is locked behind Act III. There's the Dozen's bow, but that requires you to side with the Dozens, so lots of people will never see it. And on top of the more limited selection, none of those weapons are really build defining. Aside from gimmicks like melee ranger, there's really only one ranger build.

Despite all that, though, they're really good at steady single target dps and they'll put up great numbers all game long.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I'm hoping there's a wider variety of low level powers that get powered up as you level in Pillars 2, fighters and rogues would be a lot better if you got more combat options with them earlier.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I'd love it if they made the active abilities like Into the Fray and Charge accessible at earlier levels and tweaked down the damage accordingly. Beside giving fighters more to do than just walloping enemies onto their asses twice every encounter, it'd also help fighters in the role of tanks with establishing battle lines and control.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Basic Chunnel posted:

This guy gets it.

This guy's a BITCH

Not an empty quote #emptyquote

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Dick Burglar posted:

Yeah, it really is.

The game almost works to push you away from having a (ranged) cipher and a ranger in the same party, because they're competing not just for the same party role (loosely speaking, "artillery") but for a lot of the same gear.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
Fighters are way better ciphers than rangers are fighters

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009

Samuel Clemens posted:

Now I'm curious, how would someone like Sagani sound?

It'd be nice if there was some character there. The actress sounds like she's just reading the lines having her cup of morning coffe in one hand, and instantly made me think "well, this is that lady who did voices in New Vegas". Meanwhile you have Matt Mercer, who voices two character which you meet in the same town and I was not able to tell that they both had the same actor until someone pointed it out after I had beaten the game.

Maneha was the same thing but much, much worse, where the voice and character doesn't "click".

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Sagani rules BTW

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Is there a worse depiction of a barbarian character in any media than Maneha?

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Is there a worse depiction of a barbarian character in any media than Maneha?

Her character clicked for me once I realized she doesn't come with Frenzy.

...I mean I immediately respecced her to have Frenzy, but still.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Maneha is kind of boring, but characters not fitting their stereotypical class role is kind of a running theme for poe.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
There's not fitting your class role and then there's having a personality that's completely antithetical to that class role.

I understand that not every Barbarian has to be Conan or whatever and that you'll get smart Barbarians, but one of the key elements of the class is that they're raging and supposed to be hitting things with such fury that even enemies next to your direct target take damage – or that you're hitting them so hard you go for Fort rolls rather than deflection.

I feel like Maneha's characterisation was really weak. She could've been a fighter or a rogue or whatever and it wouldn't even have even mattered.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
I don't have strong feelings towards maneha. Sagani is the best.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Maneha and Sagani feel like they would make a great couple to have as neighbors but like the last people I would pick to go murderhoboing with.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Am I the only one that likes Maneha specifically because she subverts the barb tropes? In that regard, she is no different than Durance in the way he also subverts the priest tropes. In fact all the characters in their own way do this. Maneha is no different in that way. I even like her voice. Only Aloth really is a wizards wizard and he's got a woman living in him. Maybe Sagani too, but she's not what I think of when I think of rangers.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

chaosapiant posted:

Am I the only one that likes Maneha specifically because she subverts the barb tropes? In that regard, she is no different than Durance in the way he also subverts the priest tropes. In fact all the characters in their own way do this. Maneha is no different in that way. I even like her voice. Only Aloth really is a wizards wizard and he's got a woman living in him. Maybe Sagani too, but she's not what I think of when I think of rangers.

Durance only subverts tropes in that you realize "yeah, a fantasy world priest really would be that crazy." It's not so much a subversion as a reinterpretation.

Aloth has a stronger argument for subversion since wizards are always leaders in shadow organizations.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I'm fine with a wry, witty barb, but not a 100% always-on class clown. We just didn't have time for character dynamism to reveal itself, which is what separates Maneha from broadly similar Bioware characters.

Honestly, as good as the xpac companions may or may not have been, I couldn't really appreciate them because by the time I got them, I felt like I was at the end of the story already. WM was a fun dungeon romp but it did not feel consequential enough for its characters to ride its coattails into significance. They felt diminished. I wouldn't want to see xpac companions in xpac environs next time. Much prefer the Mass Effect 2 method of folding them into the core game.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I like Maneha's storyline. It's a nice little conundrum of whether to let her forget her past lives which will leave her nice and guilt free (but potentially lead to her making the same mistakes?) or to let her live with the pain but grow. I don't know that there's necessarily a wrong choice there but it's a nice storyline. Dragon Age has a similar conundrum with Cole.

Basic Chunnel posted:

I'm fine with a wry, witty barb, but not a 100% always-on class clown. We just didn't have time for character dynamism to reveal itself, which is what separates Maneha from broadly similar Bioware characters.

Honestly, as good as the xpac companions may or may not have been, I couldn't really appreciate them because by the time I got them, I felt like I was at the end of the story already. WM was a fun dungeon romp but it did not feel consequential enough for its characters to ride its coattails into significance. They felt diminished. I wouldn't want to see xpac companions in xpac environs next time. Much prefer the Mass Effect 2 method of folding them into the core game.

I get this complaint but at the same time that would only really be a problem on your first playthrough as WM1 is meant to be done at level 7-8ish meaning you would have the companions for most of the game.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

OT since the Fallout threads are garbage, but posted to MCA's Facebook

Working freelance for Bethsoft, more than likely

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

chaosapiant posted:

Subverting tropes is fine and all, but the Barbarians' class description mentions their savagery and many of their class abilities have names like Frenzy and Bloodlust. And there's not even the slightest hint of that in Maneha's character.
That said, my main issue with Maneha is not that, but that she's annoying and not funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
I was mostly fine with Maneha as a character, but yeah, more then anyone else, her class had no real connection to her character, where all the other NPCs did have one.

Basic Chunnel posted:

OT since the Fallout threads are garbage, but posted to MCA's Facebook

Working freelance for Bethsoft, more than likely

Man, Avellone was responsible for some of the dumbest - and grossest - stuff in the Fallout series, and I absolutely hated the direction he went on with his last New Vegas DLC. Combining that with probably working with Bethesda? Naw, I'm good.

• Locked thread