Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

SKULL.GIF posted:

Please just make a chat thread for these losers so they can get their socialization in.

Actual economics content:

Predictably the rightoids are already crying and exclaiming that medical debt is good, actually.

It's nice that they're trying to cancel existing debt, but does it do anything for new medical debt other than make it not reportable to credit companies? I love their framing it as a handout to young voters, people who definitely have a ton of medical debt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morbus
May 18, 2004

SKULL.GIF posted:

STRONG SAFE

SECURE STABLE

premium consumer's assault will bring it under control

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

SKULL.GIF posted:

The financial economy is utterly fake and the Federal Reserve and the US Treasury are doing absolutely everything possible to keep it propped up. Everything is fake. It's all loving fake. Yellen is a scam artist of the highest order.

https://x.com/0ddette/status/1788260329106948139

This is normal. All the banks optimized their businesses to squeeze out more profit using free/cheap money from the Fed, so they can’t go back to the before times. You might be asking why we need the banks then, and who said that profit would fall in mature industries, but those questions are for poor people.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

MLKQUOTEMACHINE posted:

It's nice that they're trying to cancel existing debt, but does it do anything for new medical debt other than make it not reportable to credit companies? I love their framing it as a handout to young voters, people who definitely have a ton of medical debt.

Young voters are also less likely to have health insurance and will be aware that they're going to get destroyed if they fall sick at some point in the future. Unfortunately any meaningful changes to the exorbitant price-gouging in American healthcare would involve actual legislation and political will to get it done, which won't be happening in this country.

$4000 for a single dog toe.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Young voters are also less likely to have health insurance and will be aware that they're going to get destroyed if they fall sick at some point in the future. Unfortunately any meaningful changes to the exorbitant price-gouging in American healthcare would involve actual legislation and political will to get it done, which won't be happening in this country.

$4000 for a single dog toe.

Even with insurance, they’re gonna get wrecked

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

what no gently caress Joe Biden flag?!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

skooma512 posted:

Even with insurance, they’re gonna get wrecked

if I had a nickel for every time I hear some horror story or other that includes the phrase "and I have 'GOOD' insurance"

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

AI cannot fail, it can only be failed

It fails a lot, but your failure modes seem to be the result of using bespoke / obscure poo poo - which causes problems for everything including hiring qualified humans.

Anyway, the biggest problem at this point isn't that these things won't be able to deliver on promises - replacing an undergrad within 4 years is actually maybe doable just because of how bullshit most jobs are and how little performance can actually matter - it's the absolutely insane power requirements to do it in a warming world.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

17 Biggest Losers in the Texas Housing Market Right Now

https://suburbs101.com/biggest-losers-in-the-texas-housing-market/

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

I've been telling the tech executives here for months that even if the code it spit out is picture perfect, that is our IP and it's going to be a legal loving mess at some point
if it spit out perfect code the capitalists as a class would resolve the legal issues amongst themselves so they can start mass firing workers as fast as possible

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

this program would prevent future medical debt right

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Nonsense posted:

quote:

Fredericksburg homeowners saw the largest absolute dollar drop in home prices where homeowners lost $84,832 in equity in the course of a year.

You never had the loving money! You didn't lose anything! The "equity" was all fake!!!

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

You never had the loving money! You didn't lose anything! The "equity" was all fake!!!

Morbus
May 18, 2004

idk the car my boomer dad bought with his HELOC seems pretty real to me

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

Atoramos posted:

Hard disagree with this as a blanket statement. I'm in a position where I have to do the thing. Once I started figuring out what it could and couldn't do, Copilot became a pretty great tool. It absolutely requires a capable and skeptical dev who understands what it's producing and how to work with it, but it can provide better and more accurate info than typical stack overflow/google research.

But businesses think it will replace the need for that capable engineer and the answer is 'nah'

your employers dont give a poo poo about giving you better tools lol. they want to get rid of you, so they can pocket your pay. all of this is motivated by a desire to get rid of workers, it has nothing to do with quality are you loving kidding me lol

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Morbus posted:

The fact that the growth promised by these bubbles is fake 100% does not matter anymore.

The process is:

1.) Govt prints shitload of money directly into banks
2.) Money hose gets aimed at whatever fictitious growth story of the day
3.) The Right People get more wealthy (relative to everyone else) as a result
4.) This wealth is used to (further) accumulate real assets and consolidate ownership

It doesn't matter what AI does or doesn't do, any more than it matters how "real" the gains in the S&P500 have been over the last few years. What is, indisputably, absolutely real, is that this is a process which is successful at growing both the purchasing power and accumulated real assets of the very wealthy, while driving down that of the working class.

Imagine you just cut out the fictitious bullshit but kept everything else. What would that look like? It would look like the central bank increasing the money supply and just handing it directly to the very rich, with no pretense. That is, effectively, a legal decree that those people are now owed (even more) things from everyone else, just because. Would that be bad for them, in the long run or otherwise? Would it be good for you? Would it be a "bubble" that is going to pop, any day now? Only if working people give enough of a poo poo to do something about it. It isn't a configuration that will collapse on its own accord, even (and especially) if the rate of profit falls to zero, except insofar as the unabated, vampiric draining of a population in service of an elite may, eventually, become destabilizing.

I dunno, there is a bunch I probably need to re-read but I don't recall anything in Marx that adequately captures the ultra-consolidated and uniformly owned nature of modern asset-management capitalism, combined with central banks & fiat money also managed by the same people. I'm not sure that "lol but this growth is all fake" really captures how or why this configuration can be so stable. It's like pointing out that feudal monarchs aren't actually from a superior bloodline or don't actually have the mandate of heaven. It is only a critique of legitimacy.

good post ty

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Atoramos posted:

Hard disagree with this as a blanket statement. I'm in a position where I have to do the thing. Once I started figuring out what it could and couldn't do, Copilot became a pretty great tool. It absolutely requires a capable and skeptical dev who understands what it's producing and how to work with it, but it can provide better and more accurate info than typical stack overflow/google research.

But businesses think it will replace the need for that capable engineer and the answer is 'nah'

I think at the end of the day, everyone will be posting copyright year type poo poo at the end of all their responses no matter what they are.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Consolidated Ed posted:

your employers dont give a poo poo about giving you better tools lol. they want to get rid of you, so they can pocket your pay. all of this is motivated by a desire to get rid of workers, it has nothing to do with quality are you loving kidding me lol

but surely the software industry would never move coding to a substandard but lower cost form of production!!!

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

DaysBefore posted:

Queue ten thousand completely fake stories about how actually, every neighbour I've ever had was a Black Metal band that worked night shifts and also, were constantly pumping carbon monoxide into my apartment. I will not be reading any of those lol

It's more that the property developers go "it would cost how much to insulate between apartments? But that's just inside! You don't need to do that" and thus you have little echo chambers

Ill Peripheral
Jun 29, 2008

Scarabrae posted:

what no gently caress Joe Biden flag?!

I think you mean let's go Brandon

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Consolidated Ed posted:

I was never was under the impression they did, and never suggested the goal was quality. My only stance is "this actually does work better than being suggested", having been incredibly skeptical of it myself.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Nonsense posted:

lmbo Uvalde barely dropped in price. You'd think a tragedy that makes national news would motivate people to leave

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

Casey Finnigan posted:

I thought AI was gonna be useful for things like audio transcription and OCR before it became a whole dipshit bubble.

I guess it is actually useful for transcription and OCR but the whole AI thing has been so oversold and underwhelming it makes it hard to want to give it any credit

that's the thing that surprised me: ai is really loving boring and tedious. congrats, its a chat bot, the customer service system we invented decades ago that everybody hates. wonderful, sign me the gently caress up.

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

Blue Ribbon Pooper posted:

it’s not going to do poo poo like that unless you’re doing something stupid like asking it to do some task with like 20 caveats and steps. it’s not a wonder machine.

it’s a tool, not a coder replacement

actually, its owners say its artificially intelligent. an intelligent machine should be able to overcome this poo poo easily. sounds like youre saying its not actually AI

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

sounds like a bunch of smug nerds got owned so theres many sides if u really think about it

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

You seem pretty crabby lately, is everything okay

its the SomethingAwful forums. almost everyone here is a miserable, spiteful rear end in a top hat for some reason or another

the "le epic 4chan ironylord" poo poo gets annoying and just outright sad the moment you become 30

BornAPoorBlkChild has issued a correction as of 22:33 on May 8, 2024

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

lmbo Uvalde barely dropped in price. You'd think a tragedy that makes national news would motivate people to leave

Tragedy? You mean buying opportunity???

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

where they gonna go? it's the us, no where is safe

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mustached Demon posted:

where they gonna go? it's the us, no where is safe

lightning never strikes twice. it's the safest place there is

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

If you maroons would just take the time to understand....

The negative outlook on the economy that many Americans hold is likely linked to the fact that the economic picture is objectively complicated and hard to understand right now.

(yeah, from a dumb source but still amusing https://www.newsweek.com/economy-america-outlook-biden-1896902)

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

the popes toes posted:

If you maroons would just take the time to understand....

The negative outlook on the economy that many Americans hold is likely linked to the fact that the economic picture is objectively complicated and hard to understand right now.

(yeah, from a dumb source but still amusing https://www.newsweek.com/economy-america-outlook-biden-1896902)

quote:

"Prices are coming down but that increase is still fresh in people's memories," he told Newsweek. "Governments all over the world are being punished for that bad experience, and I think that's part of what's happening in the U.S.," Van Reened added. "It's ironic, because, compared to other advanced countries, the U.S. is doing fantastically well in terms of growth."

profits are up, i dont understand why people are mad they cant afford food or rent anymore

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

The Oldest Man posted:

profits are up, i dont understand why people are mad they cant afford food or rent anymore

as a worker, id simply use some of my share of my companys profits in exchange for goods and services

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

its the SomethingAwful forums. almost everyone here is a miserable, spiteful rear end in a top hat for some reason or another

the "le epic 4chan ironylord" poo poo gets annoying and just outright sad the moment you become 30

I'm not!

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
Uvalde TX not dropping house prices reminds me that the homes in Palestine OH are expensive after blowing up the town in toxic waste.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

projection

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Paradoxish posted:

It's also nowhere near that expensive to do siding/roofing on reasonably-sized houses in the <1500 sq. ft. range, especially houses designed with simplicity and cost-of-maintenance in mind. This poo poo costs a fortune in part because American homes are built like poo poo and American contractors are salespeople first and foremost, but it's also because nearly every house available is massive and designed with features intended to make other people think that you're rich.

I might be more willing to accept that tiny houses are the only option left if there were more developers building simple, reasonably-sized, well-built, and affordable homes instead of "luxury" monstrosities that are still crammed with 100% builder-grade materials.

what do you mean normal people don't want at minimum 24 different sections on their roof that completely prevent solar installation because every ridgeline must have 2' clearance on each side? are you telling me I spent $50k extra on this roof to make my life worse????

there's not even a loving room up there, it's 1000% decorative bullshit. I can't even get into parts of it because the plywood for each angle goes all the way down to the attic floor so there's big voids that hold the dead bodies of the previous occupants for all I know.

i hate everything about modern american builds

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Nothus posted:

lol at using chrome

Dropped that poo poo way back when the rumor first started and it was surprising how much better my computer runs without it.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

It's what the market will bear in an economy that is outperforming expectations but I don't expect you to understand the economic fundamentals of this great city.

NYC rents are rising 7 times faster than wages

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Computer programmers are not engineers

We know!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

the popes toes posted:

It's what the market will bear in an economy that is outperforming expectations but I don't expect you to understand the economic fundamentals of this great city.

NYC rents are rising 7 times faster than wages

quote:

New York City now has a higher concentration of seven-figure earners than anywhere else in the world, according to a recent analysis by consultancy firm Henley & Partners.

Finally, seven figgies is the new six figgies.