Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Plank Walker posted:

is this an official pic from tesla or a photoshop?

i'd imagine not having the horizon visible from the cockpit would be a pretty big non-starter for a truck, but i'm not a master of disruption

It's an official render from tesla

I think the viewing angle is weird in that pic, they're dumb but not so dumb to make a cockpit you can't see out of

FCKGW posted:

How do you look at your trailer when backing up?

You don't need to see with your eyes when your ipads are displaying the output of 26 cameras

FCKGW posted:

How do you hand documents off at inspections and weigh stations?

:iiam:

I dunno, I guess you have to get out of your seat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Not that I bothered to dig that carefully on the word of @Mr_Dave_M, but at quick glance those guidelines say nothing about respecting 'off the record' but in fact forbid allowing sources to dictate what goes in.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Rastor posted:

For some reason this reminds me of the pod that they send Jodie Foster into in the movie Contact.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
it looks like something from Elite:Dangerous

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Ytlaya posted:

Nah, it's all just because Musk thinks it's cool and futuristic. That is literally the whole reason.

Yeah I suppose so, if they really cared about keeping costs down they wouldn't do half the poo poo they do actually do.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

FCKGW posted:

How do you look at your trailer when backing up?

Cameras!

FCKGW posted:

How do you hand documents off at inspections and weigh stations?

It’s all digital *handwaves*

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

It's no use asking questions about that semi because it will never exist. there is no way the range on that thing will be more than 10 miles before combusting

It does indeed exist and does not combust, but the range is a tad hilarious.
Basically, on par with a Tesla X.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yeah I suppose so, if they really cared about keeping costs down they wouldn't do half the poo poo they do actually do.

The truly funny thing is that the post the ipad is mounted on is really well made and super sturdy
Yet it looks like poo poo and doesn’t matter at all, because the screen is the weak point.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

shovelbum posted:

The SpaceX barges almost certainly do more sensor fusion just to stand still.
It's high precision GPS and four stationkeeping motors. Pitch and roll aren't controlled for because the landing legs have big enough crush cores to absorb the impact in the roughest water they'll operate the ships in, and the rocket knows where the ship is supposed to be and uses a radar altimeter to fine tune engine cutoff. Telemetry and video are downlinked, but the rocket and ship don't actively coordinate with each other. In other words, SpaceX defined the problem, set acceptable parameters, and engineered in the necessary tolerances to land as simply as possible, the opposite of what Tesla does.

Feranon posted:

hey elon you're a pussy unless you get rid of the steering wheel too
I think he said he wants to do that by 2020 or something completely unrealistic.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

why not design a vr helmet for truck drivers idgi

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Rated PG-34 posted:

why not design a vr helmet for truck drivers idgi

Teledildonics patent has expired.
Just sayin.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The Tesla rig was just the classic Musk bait and switch to keep the public IPO equity deal grift game going.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
Nah, they'll produce something, no one will buy it, they'll pretend it's selling like hotcakes... The usual.

The funny thing is, there's a guy that used to work at Tesla, got fed up with it, left, and started his own company that produces EV buses for intra-city commutes. And he's the complete opposite of Musk, at least judging by a presentation of his i've attended.

They've calculated that you can actually fit a one day of daily suburb<->downtown commutes into an electric bus worth of range for certain cities, and have been rolling out pilot project bus fleets to those cities, and last i've heard, are doing okay.

Edit: oddly enough, even their math for released pollutants checks out, assuming current distribution of power sources.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

etalian posted:

The Tesla rig was just the classic Musk bait and switch to keep the public IPO equity deal grift game going.

If the rig was the bait, the roadster 2 was the hook.

A totally real Veyron competitor for $250,000 and also 100% deposit required.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
Speaking of central driving position...

Audi E-tron concept has that poo poo.
It moves the seat towards the door when you're exiting / entering, and scoots off to the center when you close the door and the stupid little armrest / safety ramp.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

I wonder what elon would be doing today if he hadnt been born rich as hell

Genderfluent
Jul 15, 2015

Powershift posted:

If the rig was the bait, the roadster 2 was the hook.

A totally real Veyron competitor for $250,000 and also 100% deposit required.
An update:

https://electrek.co/2018/09/04/tesla-roadster-car-show-debut-grand-basel/

quote:

Albeit stunning, the vehicle doesn’t seem to be a working prototype but only a design shell.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Wheeee posted:

posting on reddit about epic bacon science

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Wheeee posted:

A below average Yanko Design poster.
So, Dahir Insaat, basically.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Wheeee posted:

posting on r/nofap

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Wheeee posted:

Listening to Grimes on spotify instead of listening to Grimes' voice mail.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

A MIRACLE posted:

posting on r/nofap r/incels

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Yes Yes

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-stocks-tesla/tesla-bond-hits-record-low-stock-slips-as-investor-worry-deepens-idUSKCN1LL2Z2

quote:

The stock dropped 2.8 percent to $280.74, the lowest level since late May, following a 4.2 percent decline on Tuesday after Mercedes introduced its first fully electric car in Stockholm.

The $1.8 billion high-yield bond Tesla issued a year ago hit a record low price on Wednesday. It also became more expensive to insure Tesla’s bonds against default.

Tesla’s stock has lost a quarter of its value since Aug. 7, when Musk tweeted that he had secured funding for a previously undisclosed plan to take Tesla private.

Musk on Aug. 24 abandoned that plan, but he faces lawsuits and a U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission investigation into the factual accuracy of his tweet that funding for the deal was “secured.” The incident is weighing on investor confidence and has hurt the credibility of Musk, long viewed by Tesla supporters as its most valuable asset.

Also raising concerns about Musk’s leadership and focus as Tesla struggles to increase production of its Model 3 mass market sedan, BuzzFeed News reported late on Tuesday that Musk, in an email to the news site, called British cave diver Vernon Unsworth a “child rapist.”

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Tesla is getting closer to where Musk has to pledge more money or he gets margin called. If he gets margin called, that would be the disaster scenario. The only problem with pledging more, is that it now ratchets up the negative effects of a margin call. There will be a price at which things will snowball and other investors will bail because they don’t want to get caught up before Elon is forced to sell, at which point the stock drops and Elon is forced to sell regardless because the bank doesn’t want to take a bigger hit.

Basically, Elon is taking a huge gamble by doing what he’s doing and borrowing against his own shares.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/boriquagato/status/1037435633025699840

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Lote posted:

Tesla is getting closer to where Musk has to pledge more money or he gets margin called. If he gets margin called, that would be the disaster scenario. The only problem with pledging more, is that it now ratchets up the negative effects of a margin call. There will be a price at which things will snowball and other investors will bail because they don’t want to get caught up before Elon is forced to sell, at which point the stock drops and Elon is forced to sell regardless because the bank doesn’t want to take a bigger hit.

Basically, Elon is taking a huge gamble by doing what he’s doing and borrowing against his own shares.

Today's not really an indication of anything.
Most stocks closed red or very red. Random assortment from the tickers i follow:

Can you tell which one is TSLA?
The same way it dropped today, it could go back up tomorrow, with good index winds blowing.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I just remembered: on my drive to work today I saw one of those car carrying trucks, but with 6 Teslas on it.

normally i dont notice or care, but only one of them had any sort of protection. a single car was wrapped in looseish-cloth and the rest were completely bare. one of them looked like they might have had blue protective plastic strips on the chrome trim around the windshield, but that was inconsistent or made up of mismatched parts.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
True but I’m just pointing out there’s a price at which the wheels will fall off Tesla and the stock price will precipitously fall. It’s probably around $225 but if it ever gets there, there will be a massive meltdown.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Lote posted:

True but I’m just pointing out there’s a price at which the wheels will fall off Tesla and the stock price will precipitously fall. It’s probably around $225 but if it ever gets there, there will be a massive meltdown.

True, but i think he can keep the swindle going for quite a bit longer.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol

https://twitter.com/markbspiegel/status/1037416581750566912

https://twitter.com/phoennix10/status/1037366976782508032

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Lote posted:

There's no way of knowing, unless and until it happens. The exact terms of Musk's pledge agreement with MS aren't public (for obvious reasons).

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

all u pussies better get a good nite's rest joe hogan drinking game starts at 9:30 cali time

pack your bowl b4 bed

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Incidentally, the last high-profile CEO I can think of to face a margin call was "Fat" Mike Pearson, of Valeant. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/antoin...n/#64e7997154e2

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Agronox posted:

Incidentally, the last high-profile CEO I can think of to face a margin call was "Fat" Mike Pearson, of Valeant. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

I forget what it is i watched on this guy, but the short sellers basically said they're holding until it hits zero because that guy is such a dickbag.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Agronox posted:

The one that stands out to me is Bernie Ebbers when his 400+million USD house of cards collapsed and basically brought Worldcom/MCI down with almost 4bn in accounting "errors"

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Rastor posted:

asking a lot of truck drivers

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Powershift posted:

I forget what it is i watched on this guy, but the short sellers basically said they're holding until it hits zero because that guy is such a dickbag.

If you want a true dickbag, look up DryShips Inc (DRYS).

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Help, I'm confused. Why did they put plastic on the cars? Why is it bad? Is there ever a time when it makes sense for them to be covered in plastic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Yoshi Wins posted:

Help, I'm confused. Why did they put plastic on the cars? Why is it bad? Is there ever a time when it makes sense for them to be covered in plastic?

Probably to keep the weather out seeing as their acceptable fit tolerance has been "Eh, about an inch or so. Whatever, just slap it on"