Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Dancer posted:

(slight hyperbole for clarity). It seems to my mind that you are trying to a) start fights with a lot of people and b) doing it loudly/forced (some of your accusations are bullshit, like even if it is your policy to insta-lynch 3P, I don't see why you thought MMT actually was 3P). This fits with a scum trying really hard to get some dirt to stick to someone, without much caring who it is (as long as, presumably, it's not some other scum). It's a little bit of WIFOM, in that in my personal experience (which may very well be different from SA mafia, I legit don't know), scum explicitly want to fly under the radar, they don't want to be too loud, but if you know that I expect that, you will think I will trust you because you're loud.

merk posted:

We probably should start talking about who we are going to lynch soon. If we don't, we're going to be mad dash bad voting through the d1 lynch with little to no explanation for why people are voting the way they're voting.

Cuties!

This is the post of the game where I started "going aggro." Can you see a town intent behind my aggressive playstyle after reading it? If so, do you still think I'm scum?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
If I get lynched for trying to get the game to put votes down and start talking about who is scum instead of petering into the d1 lynch with garbage, I'm going to be rightly upset at SA Mafia.

Tolly Totes
Oct 12, 2016

If we're free, tell me why
I can't look in my brother's eye

merk posted:

As someone who also has the funny stuff, friend, I don't think it confirms alignment.

Are you posting in a different way because it affected your code?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Tolly Totes posted:

Are you posting in a different way because it affected your code?

Yes, friend, but if this is a scum-imposed PR, then it would be incredibly easy to fake for scum while getting confirmation from town that it's a "real thing" publicly in thread. If it's not a scum-imposed PR, we have no idea how the action would impact humans. What if a human received a PM that said "Someone thinks you're a host and is trying to mess with your code. You might want to play along."

I don't think the PR says anything about alignment.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop

Hal Incandenza posted:

I dunno I can't see merk and lumpen of all people deciding to gambit PRs and I think we have established at this point that being a HOST and being HOST-aligned aren't necessarily the same and it wouldn't even be a very effective gambit if the idea was to clear themselves
BTW, my character is a human in the show (if I remember correctly), but a Westworld Host-Aligned personality-settings-having host in the game.

merk, basking in my fond Mafia-memories for 10-15 minutes while lying in bed last night was more appealing than poring over posts in this game for evidence. I'm not good or anything.

Anyway, LumpenList process in progress now.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

merk posted:

Yes, friend, but if this is a scum-imposed PR, then it would be incredibly easy to fake for scum while getting confirmation from town that it's a "real thing" publicly in thread. If it's not a scum-imposed PR, we have no idea how the action would impact humans. What if a human received a PM that said "Someone thinks you're a host and is trying to mess with your code. You might want to play along."

This is a good point, but I don't think Scum-merk would make it at this time and gamestate. I continue to feel merk is likely Town based on the PR, but he gives good reason not to write it off for the whole game. For either of us and certainly not for people in future days.

Tolly Totes
Oct 12, 2016

I think the suspicious things that Lumpen's done have been holding on to cases he doesn't seem to believe in and getting weirdly ardent about people responding to relatively unimportant questions. His rereading old stuff doesn't seem weird and his Funny Talking seems like a point in his favour

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Lumpen posted:

merk, basking in my fond Mafia-memories for 10-15 minutes while lying in bed last night was more appealing than poring over posts in this game for evidence. I'm not good or anything.

Ha, ok, that's fair. ##unvote

Still reading.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
I guess what you're saying makes sense. I legit don't know who to vote now (Snail still my #1 but that's unlikely to actually happen). ##vote snail, with the understanding that I will probably have to swap to help a lynch happen. I'll make sure to come back home at least an hour before deadline so I actually have time to read.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

Tolly Totes
Oct 12, 2016

Why would you include yourself on your own list?

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop
When I dashed off my mini-list pages back I realized I'd forgotten to mention that I found Atomic Soda suspicious, but that's been on my mind a while unmentioned.

On an isolated reread flerp popped as suspicious, and KB especially seemed Scummy on re-read. He has lurked, contributed nothing, and stuck up for AA and voted MMT in retaliation for her pursuing AA.

Despite the fact that I'm barely worth paying attention to and LumpenLists are stupid, I feel pretty comfortable with my reads and look forward to seeing how right I am as flips happen.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

Tolly Totes posted:

Why would you include yourself on your own list?

THAT IS THE PROTOCOL! A well-formatted LumpenList must include EVERY PLAYER on the roster, with links to their posts, this facilitates other using those links for their own analysis and helps them to make their own list by simply quoting the post and moving lines around. I would want your list to have my name in it, and I would not want to do anything to obscure my own post history from analysis.

I know that's all dumb and autistic but what can I say, I'm probably retarded or something.

Tolly Totes
Oct 12, 2016

So to be clear here you think I'm Mostly Mafia because I had the third vote on a dude in a game that needs 12 votes to kill somebody?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Tolly-chan, what do you think about KB?

Tolly Totes
Oct 12, 2016

Lumpen posted:

THAT IS THE PROTOCOL! A well-formatted LumpenList must include EVERY PLAYER on the roster, with links to their posts, this facilitates other using thse links for their own analysis and helps them to make their own list by simply quoting the post and moving lines around. I would want your list to have my name in it, and I would not want to do anything to obscure my own post history from analysis.

I know this is all meaningless but couldn't you just have another section, like uh, Lovable Lumpen or something? I just keep looking at that list and imaging a situation where you'd somehow drop lower on your own list.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

Tolly Totes posted:

I know this is all meaningless but couldn't you just have another section, like uh, Lovable Lumpen or something? I just keep looking at that list and imaging a situation where you'd somehow drop lower on your own list.
If someone ever doesn't put themself as the top of their own list, that's a Scumslip, vote them immediately.

Just my advice, you don't have to listen.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

Tolly Totes posted:

So to be clear here you think I'm Mostly Mafia because I had the third vote on a dude in a game that needs 12 votes to kill somebody?
It's a reliable tell... I didn't create Mafia psychology, don't blame me.

Tolly Totes
Oct 12, 2016

Lumpen posted:

It's a reliable tell... I didn't create Mafia psychology, don't blame me.

It's extremely goofy. Your vote on me was a third vote, was that a tell?

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

Tolly Totes posted:

It's extremely goofy. Your vote on me was a third vote, was that a tell?
That's for you to decide. But when I invited you to make that case to see where you'd take it, you just slinked away.

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?
why are you going so hard on lumpen for putting himself in his own list when others have done the same with no reaction from you?

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?

merk posted:

this is an oddly specific detail to throw in there as a what-if.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop
If it's not too much trouble, perhaps you would like to take a look at this classic even though it's no good...

Lumpen's Infallible Scumtellidex
    That Reveals Scums Every Time
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

• lurking
  • lying
  • excusing oneself from the thread "I won't be here for X time I have to X"
  • excusing oneself from deadline "I won't be here for deadline so I might as well ##vote: XXX"
  • mysteriously not being around for deadline without explanation
  • awkwardly defending people
  • emptyposting irrelevant content or general mafia tips
  • rephrasing the ideas of others
  • asking questions of players rather than putting forth opinions
  • hedging by arguing for both sides of an issue
  • reluctance to give concrete suspicions
  • linguistic slipups
  • overdefensiveness
  • overemotionality
  • sucking up
  • voting on someone other than the lynch-leaders close to deadline
  • ending the day with no vote
  • promising "more later" about something and then never getting back to it
  • self-imposed gimmicky post restrictions
  • third or fourth vote on a d1 bandwagon
  • hammering (depending on timing, but especially if it cuts off a claim opportunity)

Tolly Totes
Oct 12, 2016

sentimental snail posted:

why are you going so hard on lumpen for putting himself in his own list when others have done the same with no reaction from you?

I don't think it's suspicious! Just funny.

I guess I didn't notice the others.

Tolly Totes
Oct 12, 2016

merk posted:

Tolly-chan, what do you think about KB?

He's deliberately posting short sentences. I don't know if this a Hemingway like effort to be as efficient as possible, but he hasn't claimed a Funny Talk.

His vote on b-minus is one I disagree with but it was a while ago so it doesn't hold much sway for me.

His defence to being compared with Mr F! is bad because he misreads the implications and rushes in to make his longest two posts in the thread to explain that somebody has posted less content than him.

Posting a votecount while saying nothing is maybe self aware at this point.

I actually don't like this. It's hard to read anything particular from the very short posts, but he said he was going to do that before the game so I can't hold the shortness of the posts against him, but I do think his extreme reaction to the Mr. F comparison is fishy enough for a vote. That's basically the only thing of substance in there, so I do think he's a good mafia candidate for now

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I forgot Mr. Fffey was even in the game.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Mr. F! posted:

Nothing glaring is sticking out at me w/r/t Merk.

What are you seeing there?

Mr. F! posted:

I could see it being Gridlocked.

That's all we get, friends!

Tolly Totes
Oct 12, 2016

Lumpen posted:

That's for you to decide. But when I invited you to make that case to see where you'd take it, you just slinked away.

I said what I said. You acted like you didn't understand what I meant, but clearly you did since you're talking about it now. I even explained why I didn't think that discussion would be productive.

The fact is that I don't think this 3rd vote thing is any indicator at all, so I'm not going to take the same silly reasoning you gave to vote me and make an argument just as silly towards you.

To be even clearer here, I think you voted me initially because you wanted to stir up discussion, is that correct?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

sentimental snail posted:

rf willfully tossed out a vote without reading to see what he was agreeing with, or even checking to see if he actually agreed with something.

I don't fault kb or anyone for not participating much or not putting out content on a day one weekend with 90% fluff. I'm not willing to vote him when that's the entire case.

I don't understand what's going on in most of this post. but I feel like the narrative being stuck on knowing or not knowing it's her second game is something that scum are totally content with, if not driving themselves.

it's all white noise detracting from a few things that should be looked at. here's one ##vote rf

Do you still believe in this vote, guy?

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

Tolly Totes posted:

I said what I said. You acted like you didn't understand what I meant, but clearly you did since you're talking about it now. I even explained why I didn't think that discussion would be productive.

The fact is that I don't think this 3rd vote thing is any indicator at all, so I'm not going to take the same silly reasoning you gave to vote me and make an argument just as silly towards you.

To be even clearer here, I think you voted me initially because you wanted to stir up discussion, is that correct?
No, it's because I see it as a valid and reliable Scumtell worthy of a D1 vote, based on 10 years of Mafia. I haven't seen anything from you that strikes me as exculpatory since then, so I see no compelling reason to second-guess. Your vote on Tobbs was bad, and then you posted some overexplained self-conscious defense of your vote, and unvoted it. Since then you've done no Scumhunting and mainly just engaged in irrelevant chitchat and question-asking not pursuant to Scumhunting.

I judge you Supposably Scummy and would be very satisfied to have you lynched today.

For what it's worth, not much considering who's saying it.

Tolly Totes
Oct 12, 2016

Lumpen posted:

No, it's because I see it as a valid and reliable Scumtell worthy of a D1 vote, based on 10 years of Mafia. I haven't seen anything from you that strikes me as exculpatory since then, so I see no compelling reason to second-guess. Your vote on Tobbs was bad, and then you posted some overexplained self-conscious defense of your vote, and unvoted it. Since then you've done no Scumhunting and mainly just engaged in irrelevant chitchat and question-asking not pursuant to Scumhunting.

I judge you Supposably Scummy and would be very satisfied to have you lynched today.

For what it's worth, not much considering who's saying it.

Why are you talking to me?

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

Tolly Totes posted:

Why are you talking to me?
I felt answering your questions would further my win condition in this case. And I have time to post right now and you're around to interact with.

I am interested in finding reason to change my mind about you. If you're Town and I'm wrong, please consider posting a List of your own, ranking every player. You can just edit mine, it's easy. I challenge you to take some on-the-record decisive stands on who you think are Scum. And cast a vote. If you're Scum then feel free to carry on just as you have been.

Or just ignore me because I'm beneath taking notice of.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.
Assume any of my posts in the next few hours are phoneposts.

What are people’s thoughts on Dead Cows? The post (s)he made throwing shade on AA for changing his mind on me seems like it couldn’t possibly have come from town.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Murmur Twin posted:

Assume any of my posts in the next few hours are phoneposts.

What are people’s thoughts on Dead Cows? The post (s)he made throwing shade on AA for changing his mind on me seems like it couldn’t possibly have come from town.

Her hand waving away DGK is weird, friend. Her only real case in the game is a light prod at AA. She's around but not doing anything that helps us find scum.

I have a soft spot for Dead Cow though because I've tunneled on her as town in multiple games like four years ago.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Her poke at AA would ping me less if it came with a vote, friend.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

merk posted:

MMT, what do you think about my Lumpen analysis now that you know that Lumpen was barely following along?

I’m mostly skimming for now but will fine-toothed comb it later and give a better reply.

My gut reaction is that it doesn’t mean much because I think you’re scum together, so the fact that Lumpens excuse is what you thought it would be isn’t hugely convincing to me. That said I’m trying to keep an open mind.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

merk posted:

I have a soft spot for Dead Cow though because I've tunneled on her as town in multiple games like four years ago.

I’m very not-a-fan of how you keep acknowledging people (lumpen and DC) are doing scummy things but then coming up with some out-of-game reason not to show suspicion or apply pressure.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

Lumpen posted:

If it's not too much trouble, perhaps you would like to take a look at this classic even though it's no good...

Lumpen's Infallible Scumtellidex
    That Reveals Scums Every Time
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

• lurking
  • lying
  • excusing oneself from the thread "I won't be here for X time I have to X"
  • excusing oneself from deadline "I won't be here for deadline so I might as well ##vote: XXX"
  • mysteriously not being around for deadline without explanation
  • awkwardly defending people
  • emptyposting irrelevant content or general mafia tips
  • rephrasing the ideas of others
  • asking questions of players rather than putting forth opinions
  • hedging by arguing for both sides of an issue
  • reluctance to give concrete suspicions
  • linguistic slipups
  • overdefensiveness
  • overemotionality
  • sucking up
  • voting on someone other than the lynch-leaders close to deadline
  • ending the day with no vote
  • promising "more later" about something and then never getting back to it
  • self-imposed gimmicky post restrictions
  • third or fourth vote on a d1 bandwagon
  • hammering (depending on timing, but especially if it cuts off a claim opportunity)

lol, the self-serving example

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop
Escuse me for sharing my worthless opinions, but in my experience Dead Cow often looks Scummy despite being Town. I don't know if I've ever seen her Scum game. I don't think I've ever seen her use any sort of gambit or guile, I think she sincerely posts about what crosses her mind and she reads that way to me in this game. I have her around the middle of my List, she hasn't pinged me but also hasn't done anything worthy of Town cred. I wouldn't prefer to vote her today. Also keep in mind that she and DGK2000 are very close IRL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
Hot Takes because working:
I don't get gridlock hanging onto my jokephase vote that has been thoroughly discussed.

Lumpen is also weird about it for lumpen reasons.

Gridlock looks worse.

Stand by what I said on Snail which is Stick Up?

• Locked thread