Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

i'm unwounded.

Rarity posted:

Verr said he's not a regular mafia player like the rest of us and a newbie to SA mafia. I've seen newbie players do all sorts of irregular methods of scum hunting that have got them in trouble even when it was super obvious they were town (Section 31's list of null tells, Lowell's voting non-analysis).

man why is irregular so bad. the rest of you are like the dad in footloose or something. here's the updated battle list

Beetphyxious posted:

i've not played a soldiers game before, so this could be a v.dumb question: do the numbers get flipped to the kings or us or whatever or is it all resolved behind the scenes?

if it's the former, ignore the next sentence. if it's the latter how can we catch anyone out, like you're saying, without knowing what the trojans fielded?

here we go:

Verr posted:

here's what people have said about fighting:

TMMadman: D1: "no issue fighting" "good addition" wants to fight in defensive emplacement "pretty good at combat"
Mithross: RIP
King Burgandy: D1 "Useful outside of combat" "ranged" if we have to send him in
CCKeane: D1 "can give item to turn scum into survivor"
"Guissuipadsiuop puidfdsaf: RIP
Merk: D1 "melee dude"
Tommunist: D1 "brutal debuffs" asked to be backline
wins32767: D1 "useful at combat, but not frontline fighter"
Opoponax: D1 "decent debuffs" "probably better in combat that out"
Asiina: D1 "not greatest at combat" "i'll go if I have to"
Fox Terrier: D1 "party dude"
HiipFire: RIP
bowmore: D1 "underdog type"
Beetphyxious: nothing
Foxterrier: nothing
LittleMac: nothing
Rarity: D1 Nothing D2 "strong melee guy"
ecco: D2 "very, very minor debuffs" "no offenseive abilities at at all" wants to be at front "debuffs stronger that way"
Verr: D1 "backline buffer guy"

alright so I figure we won day 1 battle, so those people aren't scum, misused their scum ability, or withheld using their scum sabotage to establish themselves as solid fighters. that means Merk, LittleMac, Tommunist, and win32767 are off my radar. however, we need to be aware of the scum who are most effective on the battlefield trying to join the D2 fight they missed out on. posting wise, this is only ecco and Rarity. ecco's battle-plea seems more like desperation as we sort-of agreed on town not lynching combatants yesterday. ecco is just desperate to stay alive. watching you Rarity.

my biggest concern is foxterrier. he's posting some insightful stuff but he's said nothing about combat, hasn't volunteered, and hasn't really been scrutinized. if he's non-combat scum he's sitting pretty. however...

Rarity posted:

There's one other thing that I've been mulling over cause it was the thing that I was worried about after I saw the D1 flips and merk, I'd like to hear your take on this. It's about your final point in the "scum survival playbook", the bit about Ecco swinging the lynch to two lurkers. Is there any way to justify that move from a town perspective and in the end I think yes. I've talked at length in the discussion thread before about how it's still a townie's duty to keep themselves alive. For those of you who don't read that thread my thinking is that you are confirmed town to yourself, so if you allow yourself to get lynched then you are costing town the only definite town player in the game. Under such thinking, it's better to throw the lynch onto any other player as their alignment is unknown to you so there is a non 0% chance of hitting scum. (Sidenote: I think other people need to start approaching mafia from this strategy, it's been a huge improvement to my town game).

Anyway, here's my point. Ecco had spent most of the day trying to get the lynch on diqnol and merk instead and got very little traction. Under my 'Anyone But Me' theory, at that point redirecting the focus onto a couple of lurkers would be a valid town move. I realise it's almost a valid scum move so what I'm saying is that Ecco setting up the lurker lynches is a null tell. What do you think, merk?

i think this is a reasonable reaction to merk's claims of ecco's desperate posting being scum, but ultimately lynching ecco makes a lot of sense (as she helpfully pointed out) we can use people voting on her to judge the remaining people. i'm with merk on this one, ecco's desperation and wishy-washy posting are too much of a liability. and there's a pretty good chance she's just scum anyhow. will vote ecco.

cckeane: if I had to pick another battle line-up i'd do something like front: Rarity, Merk, LittleMac/back: Verr, win32767, Tommunist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
##vote Verr

That whole post is garbage and you can't possibly clear 4 people just based on a single battle. Plus he once again tries to dictate battle lines to the king.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

i don't think you're actually reading my posts.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Merk, that's a good post and I agree with it.

Do you have any other thoughts?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

EccoRaven posted:

I am leaving for the airport in a few minutes so I'm gonna tap in RARITY to respond to that case for me. if you do that I will owe you one! if you don't no shame no worries! if you find yourself agreeing with the case that is unfortunate but not the end of the world!
lol this is the worst post

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

It's a really bad post and I think Ecco is scum, yes.

This doesn't mean that focusing on ecco entirely today is useful. There are scum who aren't ecco in this game, and regardless of how ecco flips focusing on them will be helpful.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
So if we focus on other scum do we give her yet another opportunity to slip the noose?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

bowmore posted:

So if we focus on other scum do we give her yet another opportunity to slip the noose?

I think the current plan is talk about people and then vote ecco at the end of the day.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

TMMadman posted:

I think the current plan is talk about people and then vote ecco at the end of the day.

This is fine.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

I would rather not commit until we near deadline, in case someone suddenly scum claims and weeeee!

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...

bowmore posted:

yeah i'm not getting this

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...
mafia edit: somehow theres a couple posts that answer it that i don't see

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Guys I just had an 8 course meal ending in a huge amount of roast pork. I am now dead. Pray for me :rip:

Verr posted:

i think this is a reasonable reaction to merk's claims of ecco's desperate posting being scum, but ultimately lynching ecco makes a lot of sense (as she helpfully pointed out) we can use people voting on her to judge the remaining people. i'm with merk on this one, ecco's desperation and wishy-washy posting are too much of a liability. and there's a pretty good chance she's just scum anyhow. will vote ecco.

I've been cool with your battle thoughts but this paragraph here is insanely bad. You agree with my thoughts on Ecco but then think Ecco is a good lynch? I don't see how that follows any kind of logical thought process. The rest of it is you twisting yourself into knots to come up with excuses to vote for her.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

CCKeane posted:

It's a really bad post and I think Ecco is scum, yes.

This doesn't mean that focusing on ecco entirely today is useful. There are scum who aren't ecco in this game, and regardless of how ecco flips focusing on them will be helpful.

Keane, once again I think you're doing us all a disservice by not being more active in scum hunting. You're asking us to look at other people but nobody is really paying attention. I think you started being more active then others here would follow your example.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Rarity posted:

Guys I just had an 8 course meal ending in a huge amount of roast pork. I am now dead. Pray for me :rip:

I've been cool with your battle thoughts but this paragraph here is insanely bad. You agree with my thoughts on Ecco but then think Ecco is a good lynch? I don't see how that follows any kind of logical thought process. The rest of it is you twisting yourself into knots to come up with excuses to vote for her.

Which is made even worse if you look at Verrs posting on D1 and see that he (she?) avoided making any sort of call at all about the fight between merk/ecco. He called it shitposting a couple times and said he couldn't make heads or tails of it. But now on D2, it's all clear that Ecco is desperate and wishy-washy. I'm also really not sure how he gets Ecco is wishy-washy when she was anything but that as she strongly called out several people. To me wishy-washy would be the standard hedge of 'oh this person looks scummy because of this, but you know maybe they are town because of that' and I don't think Ecco did that at all yesterday.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Rarity posted:

Keane, once again I think you're doing us all a disservice by not being more active in scum hunting. You're asking us to look at other people but nobody is really paying attention. I think you started being more active then others here would follow your example.

Noted, thank you.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

TMMadman posted:

Which is made even worse if you look at Verrs posting on D1 and see that he (she?) avoided making any sort of call at all about the fight between merk/ecco. He called it shitposting a couple times and said he couldn't make heads or tails of it. But now on D2, it's all clear that Ecco is desperate and wishy-washy. I'm also really not sure how he gets Ecco is wishy-washy when she was anything but that as she strongly called out several people. To me wishy-washy would be the standard hedge of 'oh this person looks scummy because of this, but you know maybe they are town because of that' and I don't think Ecco did that at all yesterday.

This is a very good point. I'd be willing to lynch Verr.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Rarity posted:

well you're presenting it as a "maybe there's a chance that ecco is town" and I agree, there is a chance. but the benefits outweigh the risks.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

TMMadman posted:

i agree, ecco wasn't wishy washy yesterday. but now she's all jokeposting and asking people to defend her.

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 2

Little Mac (2): Rarity, FoxTerrier
EccoRaven (2): merk, bowmore, merk, merk
Verr (2): Asiina, TMMadman
wins32767 (1): Little Mac
Lynch No One! (0): Rarity, Rarity

Not Voting (8): Beetphyxious, CCKeane, EccoRaven, King Burgundy, Opopanax, Tommunist, Verr, wins32767

With 15 alive, it's 8 votes to lynch. The current deadline is October 23rd, 2015 at 8 p.m. EDT -- that's in about 1 day.

Day 2 is Standard Majority!

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Wins are you around? I'd like your thoughts.

I want to nibble on your ideas.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Here's my thing on merk: He's doubling down really aggressively and in the face of a lot of logic, which is exactly opposite of what I said he does as scum earlier in the thread. So I'm nervous there.

Anybody feel similarly?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

CCKeane posted:

Merk, that's a good post and I agree with it.

Do you have any other thoughts?

No

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Understandable, thank you Merk.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
vOv I hope this is the first game where "we'll have so much information if we vote ecco!" is actually true.

my schedule has tightened and I won't be around at all tomorrow. and I'm kinda checked out for today too. I don't think there's anything more I can say except that it's clearly better for the game if I go. sorry for letting you down diqnol.

##vote ecco

good luck Keane, you're gonna need it.

"look at ecco with that reverse psychology!!" get bent merk.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

EccoRaven posted:

vOv I hope this is the first game where "we'll have so much information if we vote ecco!" is actually true.

my schedule has tightened and I won't be around at all tomorrow. and I'm kinda checked out for today too. I don't think there's anything more I can say except that it's clearly better for the game if I go. sorry for letting you down diqnol.

##vote ecco

good luck Keane, you're gonna need it.

"look at ecco with that reverse psychology!!" get bent merk.

You're a fun player to player with Ecco, regardless of your flip I will be sorry to see you go.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Ecco, if you admit that you never actually thought I was scum and voted me solely to stay alive, I might unvote you.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Never mind. You're definitely scum. See ya.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Merk I am beat and won't be able to give your Ecco case a thorough read through tip tomorrow, sorry

Although I may not have to because holy gently caress that self vote was scummy as gently caress

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

King Burgundy posted:

Ok, back to work. I'll do a reread later today and see if anything sticks out to me.

This is totally not going to happen tonight, it's been a trying day. I'm exhausted.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Rarity posted:

TMMadman posted:

I agree with these. I'm down to look at him after we take care of Ecco at the end of the day.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

CCKeane posted:

Here's my thing on merk: He's doubling down really aggressively and in the face of a lot of logic, which is exactly opposite of what I said he does as scum earlier in the thread. So I'm nervous there.

Anybody feel similarly?

I wouldn't put anything past Merk, but haven't really seen him as scummy this game.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Hi everyone. Just getting in now, and as I told Busb I'm moving to another state this weekend. I'll do my best to get up to speed but it will take a few days I'm sure.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

wins32767 posted:

Hi everyone. Just getting in now, and as I told Busb I'm moving to another state this weekend. I'll do my best to get up to speed but it will take a few days I'm sure.

Understandable and glad to have you.

Also I am scum claiming in this post.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

CCKeane posted:

Understandable and glad to have you.

Also I am scum claiming in this post.

Keene, you are a gentleman and a scholar for making it so easy for me to vote.

##vote keane

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Oh, this is a soldiers game and you're king aren't you?

Well poo poo, I'm actually gonna have to read.

##unvote

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

wins32767 posted:

Oh, this is a soldiers game and you're king aren't you?

Well poo poo, I'm actually gonna have to read.

##unvote

Follow your heart, wins.

Day 1 is a lot of posting between Ecco, Merk, and Diqnol about Ecco. Diqnol flipped Town.

I tried to veer the posting away from the triumvirate of trying, but merk dragged it back to ecco.

I'd like thoughts on none ecco posters while we have time, and additionally I would greatly, greatly value your thoughts on merk.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

As of page 6 I won't vote for Ecco ever this game, for the first time in like 2 years I'm not getting scum read on merk and Asiina is probably scum. With that I'm going to bed since the movers will be here early and we aren't fully ready.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

wins32767 posted:

As of page 6 I won't vote for Ecco ever this game, for the first time in like 2 years I'm not getting scum read on merk and Asiina is probably scum. With that I'm going to bed since the movers will be here early and we aren't fully ready.

Thanks a lot for this! Please post your thoughts as you have them, I think seeing the progress of mindset is helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

FoxTerrier posted:

Merk I am beat and won't be able to give your Ecco case a thorough read through tip tomorrow, sorry

so you'll give his case a once-over but after I make my case and beg for people to read it you're silent.

like I know it hurts to see a new ecco post but geez

• Locked thread