Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Vichan posted:

Does Drizzt bone a lot of people? If so I hope The Beast feeds on him so the network visualization will be out of control.

Drizzt doesn't bone anyone, at least around where this slots in time-wise. He very very eventually has a relationship with Cattie Brie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

How'd the party get the Soultaker Dagger so early? I thought you had to go all the way through the Durlag's Tower basements before it was possible.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
That's where its from. The Sandrah content was surprisingly low-key for Durlag's Tower, I was expecting long essays where she shows off her all-knowing genius every couple of minutes.

And those Romantic Encounters sound amazing, holy poo poo.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

biscuits and crazy posted:

And those Romantic Encounters sound amazing, holy poo poo.

I'm still kicking myself for not including them, some of them are hilarious... :(

Ramc
May 4, 2008

(R.A. Salvatore stuff just isn't horny in general, at least what I've read. Very PG-13)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
That is one mod I have absolutely no experience with.

And upon consideration, I think I will keep it that way.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Vichan posted:

Does Drizzt bone a lot of people? If so I hope The Beast feeds on him so the network visualization will be out of control.

I sincerely regret not installing BG1 romantic encounters.

I gotta say, I am curious about the Mourning of Centeol because... really, do you gently caress THAT? REALLY?

On that note, while trying to Google it, I saw something... interesting about Centeol in BG1NPC if Xan is in your party. He can save her apparently??

Alright, apparently you do not bang Centeol. I found the readme which has a LITTLE more description! And here's someone's reviews of it. I don't think I understand the idea behind this mod anymore after reading this.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Feb 20, 2021

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Durlag's tower was i think my favourite part of BG1 (and probably the series as a whole). It was a cool story and there was some great tension in creeping through those hallways full of traps and bullshit... with a party constrained by the og SotSC exp cap, of course.

I don't think it's inherently a bad idea to have an npc that can just do puzzles for you if the player doesn't want to be bothered - a party is supposed to be a team effort and nothing says Charname has to be the only one to do this crap! - but of course Sandrah is still Bullshit™.

Lysan Lurraxol
Jun 27, 2013
Ugh. She even manages to ruin the story of Durlag's Tower by stopping the player having to do any thinking.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

It's never too late to slap on a new mod and hope your installation doesn't collapse! Or just the Baldur's Gate 2 version...

The first interaction between Sandrah and Kagain was...dire but the second one was pretty good (and had Kagain get free drinks from Sandrah). The duality of Roxanne.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Hypocrisy posted:

It's never too late to slap on a new mod and hope your installation doesn't collapse! Or just the Baldur's Gate 2 version...

The first interaction between Sandrah and Kagain was...dire but the second one was pretty good (and had Kagain get free drinks from Sandrah). The duality of Roxanne.

I dunno, the summary of that one seems kinda dire in BG2. Like the Underdark stuff alone, oof.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

vilkacis posted:

I don't think it's inherently a bad idea to have an npc that can just do puzzles for you if the player doesn't want to be bothered - a party is supposed to be a team effort and nothing says Charname has to be the only one to do this crap! - but of course Sandrah is still Bullshit™.

Yeah, there's a difference between having the option to turn and ask a party member for hints/whole solutions and that party member automatically butting in to do it for you unprompted as soon as you reach the puzzle.

But Roxanne's demonstrated repeatedly that she has no idea what consent or meaningful choice means. As above, so below.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

I am reminded of Deltora Quest.

Those old children's fantasy books, you might ask?

No, the anime.

I watched it as an adult just for a giggle and a bit of nostalgia. Now, kids can be dumb, but I don't think they really need the protagonist to explain the painfully obvious thing that just happened in front of them on tv. But that's what old Leif did whenever something happened, like "OH I SEE THAT JUST HAPPENED BECAUSE THIS AND THAT FACT OH GOSH OH WOW".

And Sandrah kind of does the same thing, only she does it to show how totally smrt she is, and not because Roxanne thinks she needs to spoonfeed her child audience.

Or if she does, those "dancing tits" become all the more disturbing...

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

vilkacis posted:

Durlag's tower was i think my favourite part of BG1 (and probably the series as a whole). It was a cool story and there was some great tension in creeping through those hallways full of traps and bullshit... with a party constrained by the og SotSC exp cap, of course.

You're right. Handled properly it would be fine for an npc to help you with puzzles. For instance if we brought Finch who's whole gimmicks is books and learning and she chimed in with an answer, that would have felt organic and fine. Or if one of the many bards knew a song or poem of the tale of durlag, also a good fit.

Especially if instead of giving the awnser for you the npc just has an interjection that includes the awnser but relies on the player to read it and fit it to the options available from the statue instead of bypassing the whole thing.

The problem ofcourse is that for Sandrah it would never work because she always knows everything all the time and would never be allowed to be wrong. Hell, once, just once let Sandrah just blunder head first full of confidence into just being wrong. She gives the answer to the statue and she gets zapped because she was just wrong, she misremembered, she read a source that was incorrect, whatever.

Ofcourse that will never happen. Sandrah is perfect afterall.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tzarnal posted:

You're right. Handled properly it would be fine for an npc to help you with puzzles. For instance if we brought Finch who's whole gimmicks is books and learning and she chimed in with an answer, that would have felt organic and fine. Or if one of the many bards knew a song or poem of the tale of durlag, also a good fit.

Also amusing would be if you could ask one of these learned NPCs for the answer, and their answer turns out to be wrong! That's something I did with Valerie: she's an intelligent, well-educated, broadly read young woman, and in my opinion it's not unreasonable that the PC might (it's optional) ask her to study the PC's dreams and powers and try to come up with an answer. Valerie does, and she's completely wrong. She makes an intelligent, well-reasoned hypothesis that's completely wrong because there's important clues that she does not have and the real answer is completely outside the realm of what she knows is possible.

Of course, doing something like that means writing your character as fallible, even risking the player *gasp* maybe getting a little annoyed when you ask the character for help and they turn out to be unhelpful despite the best of intentions, and when has Roxanne ever displayed an awareness that sometimes people like it when a character fails and doesn't have all the answers?

(of course Sandrah piggybacks on Valerie's dialogue with the PC about that and knows the answer where Valerie doesn't, lectures her about what's 'obvious' that she missed and how she needs to study more so that one day she'll be as smart and knowledgeable and wise as Sandrah, then refuses to actually say what's going on with the PC)

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Cythereal posted:

(of course Sandrah piggybacks on Valerie's dialogue with the PC about that and knows the answer where Valerie doesn't, lectures her about what's 'obvious' that she missed and how she needs to study more so that one day she'll be as smart and knowledgeable and wise as Sandrah, then refuses to actually say what's going on with the PC)

Pretty rude.

I've been wondering if mod coding for BG has the room for code commenting and if people use it to put authors notes explaining why an NPC would do X where relevant. Not that I expect the sandra mod author would heed them but maybe others.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ramc posted:

I've been wondering if mod coding for BG has the room for code commenting and if people use it to put authors notes explaining why an NPC would do X where relevant. Not that I expect the sandra mod author would heed them but maybe others.

It does, but you'd have to really dig into the code to see it.

Sandrah uses a very different style for coding and scripting than what I'm used to seeing, though, which I think is a big part of why she never shuts up and how she overrides everything. The standard mod coding/scripting approach mimics the coding and scripting Bioware employed when making the game as much as possible, resulting in mod NPCs acting as much like the normal Bioware-made NPCs as possible.

Sandrah does not do this. I'm not familiar enough with the technical side of modding to understand what exactly she's doing, but I suspect that Sandrah's banters aren't actually banters in a technical sense, and her dialogues with the PC et al are probably actually mechanically different as well. How Roxanne codes does look very conducive to writing and programming massive amounts of dialogue, appropriately for the task at hand, but it also makes deciphering what in the world she's doing on a technical level something of a task.

I suspect that's the key to how Sandrah works: Roxanne isn't actually interjecting Sandrah everywhere, she's just writing and overriding new stuff overtop of what's already there to make sure everything works with Sandrah above all else. That's... one way to do it.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Feb 21, 2021

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
Sandrah is literally overwriting the base game.

She is the virus. :stonk:

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Fighting Trousers posted:

Sandrah is literally overwriting the base game.

She is the virus. :stonk:

Don't be silly, she's clearly a sexually transmitted disease :downsrim:

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Chapter LXIV - Not for use by unclean. Jen'lig only clean to use.

Strap in, folks. This is another one you don't want to miss.

We were supposed to visit Elminster to continue the Grey Clan questline but apparently the old coot got impatient.

We picked up this thing after the end of the initial Grey Clan quest.

Anyway, we are teleported to...

Outer space?

There's a Myconid Watcher that was pretty hard to take down at the entrance.

Unsurprisingly the academy is home to sorceresses, some of whom try to taunt Sandrah.

Seems like we've thwarted part 3, and we're about to stop them entirely!

She summons reinforcements but to no avail, she flees before we can finish her off.

We finish her off in the next area...

And use the portal in the area after that that teleports us to Elminster's house.

And that's it for Episode Two of the Grey Clan, not half bad as far as Sandrah Saga goes.

On our way to the Friendly Arm Inn Sandrah teaches pervy Kagain a lesson.

The inn is back to its usual self!

We tell both dwarves to scram and pick up Viconia.

And Drizzt at Ulgoth's Beard to round off the cast!

Sandrah immediately lies about the influence she has on all of us. The trap is set.

He's as overpowered as you'd expect, and rightfully so. :hai:

Not sure why Regis opens with this since we need to talk to him to proceed.

That's right, after talking to him again he teleports us to...

The Nine Hells, as promised. Oh boy.

Wulfgar just leaves after this, he was supposed to join our party but Sandrah Saga makes it so that Drizzt's companions can't be recruited. Kind of weird that the person we're supposed to rescue just runs off but oh well...

We find a nice throwing axe.

Drizzt can handle these creatures well enough, he still takes a lot of damage from them. This leads him to be a bit confused as to where the hell he is in the first place. Let's hope his brain damage won't lead to questionable decisions later in the chapter.

This guy was easy to take down.

We got quite the pay-off out of it.

Shortly afterward Jen'lig bites it and Sandrah revives her, I have no idea what Jen'lig is trying to say at the end there.

In the second (small) area we run into another demon, a bit harder to take down.

We solve a riddle at the end and just like that we're back at Ulgoth's Beard.

No sooner do we arrive that Elminster teleports us once again to Icewind Dale.

Aside from the Cyclops there's orcs, goblins and wolves here.

Regis greets us in Bruenor's cabin, looking around we find the diary.

Not too much to go on, let's head north from here.

The village he's talking about is to the south, but we head north first.

Aside from goblins there's the annoying baby dragons that gave us so much trouble ages ago. Drizzt and his fire resistance come in handy here.

Drizzt inches ever closer to the maw.

Also does Roxanne even know what an Avocado looks like?

These areas are actually represented on the world map, we're going to the village next.

I love Icewind Dale's sprites. :allears:

Looks like we have a baby to rescue! :black101:

Nibby sends us to a side area with some Cornugon's at the end. Not much else to say about it.

North of the village we find an airship.

With one of the Jansens inside!

Further north we run into some more ice giants as well as the baby we were looking for, we're rewarded with a horn and the warm feeling of a job well done. :gbsmith:

Anyway, time to go back to Bruenor's cabin so that we can continue with the quest. While trying to rest...

I reiterate, I don't like where this is going...

Drizzt got assaulted by Midnight? The apple doesn't fall far from the tree, it seems.

Wait, is she also going to...

Come hell or high water, the Beast must feed... :barf: :barf: :barf:

Vichan fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Nov 7, 2021

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

there isn’t a :psyboom: big enough

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

We all knew it was coming, and yet we still were not prepared.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Roxanne really doesn't understand consent, huh? I guess that's how she ended up alienating the other modders by stealing their poo poo. :v:

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

christ the insane variation of ~Ye Olde Englysshe~ she does for Elminster and some other people is making me unreasonably angry

"hadthed"? jfc

also using "whence" as a synonym for "when", real nice.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

I dunno about anyone else, but being "innocent and seductive" sounds like a creepy combination to me...

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
You know, I kind of thought outlining the extremely unhealthy power dynamics between Sandrah and Drizz't was meant to show why she wasn't going to bang this extremely bangable elf despite him existing in a universe where everyone is horny for Sandrah.

I overestimated this mod, yet again.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

LJN92 posted:

I dunno about anyone else, but being "innocent and seductive" sounds like a creepy combination to me...

Roxanne has read Lolita but she took it as a how-to manual for her writing.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

As a side note I read a ton of Drizzt books as a teen and Elminister never shows up because you know completely different author but sure whatever man

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

You know I was gonna crack a joke about her half demon half angel heritage, but considering ~her lineage~ is even worse than that.

loving hell tho.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

My money's on secret rust monster ancestry.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

By popular demand posted:

My money's on secret rust monster ancestry.

oh please, she's obviously at least 1/8th flail snail

Lysan Lurraxol
Jun 27, 2013
The transition from horrifying flirting via the medium of Sandrah's pet tiger (?) to the revelation that Drizzt has biblically known Sandrah's grandmother is jaw-dropping.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Lysan Lurraxol posted:

The transition from horrifying flirting via the medium of Sandrah's pet tiger (?) to the revelation that Drizzt has biblically known Sandrah's grandmother is jaw-dropping.

Also that fan fiction drizzt was also in competition for the affections of Sandra's mom with elminster i guess

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I've said it before and I'll say it again: why are most of the most technically skilled modders also such broken human beings? Roxanne, we know.

The guy who wrote the Imoen Romance turned out to be an abusive sex pest.

Weimer, the guy who invented WeiDu, the program used to install almost every mod there is, wrote the Valen Romance mod and was really, creepily into letting you play the PC as a violent sadist.

The creators of Saerileth et al created a 15 year old Chosen of Tyr aasimar waifu mod (and she's arguably not even the most disturbing mod they wrote - Tsujatha is, er, something).

I can only name a couple of modders from the community who went on to actually work in software development professionally or were already working in such, and not coincidentally they were both technically brilliant and personable, sane, completely functional humans. One even got hired by Beamdog and worked on the Enhanced Edition games.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Brainworms are not unique to Infinity Engine modders, go read about the OpenSkyrim(?) gates saga.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Chapter LXV - DRIZZT DO'URDEN AND ELMINSTER'S BABY GIRL IN ONE CATCH - CELEBRATION TIME AGAIN!!!

Again we fade to black, they're really going at it... :gonk:

Even for Sandrah Saga this is really icky.

The area north of Bruenor's cabin is also filled with werewolves.

This cave seems extremely ominous.

A beautiful area. :)

The area after that is just a tomb, its inhabitant has a quest for us.

Uh-oh, looks like a lich encounter is imminent.

I wish 'Fifty Ways To Kill Your Kangaxx' was an actual book. :(

Not even Jen'lig can make Drizzt and Sandrah's relationship look good.

A smaller cave to the north of the one we're in has the skull we need, we can also turn into a werewolf if we want to. Neat.

...Kangaxx?

Jen'lig tries his best to hold him off after we flee the tomb.

After many reloads it turned out that spamming Sandrah's summons was just the thing we needed. He doesn't transform into a demilich just as Sandrah predicted.

We get a nice ring out of the ordeal.

The guide states:

quote:

The Lich is named Kangaxx and your reward is a ring BUT this is not the same ring or lich you find later in
Athkatla.

...I'm still confused.

Finding Bruenor safe and sound we venture forth into the caverns.

But not before Drizzt gives some more info on Midnight and Cyric, I'm 90% certain that his view of Cyric is not canon.

We encounter our fair share of Drow...

...A spider queen who summons a shitload of spiders...

...These two statues which wrecked my poo poo more times than I can count by spamming fireballs...

...And a battlemage who's smug about leading us into a trap.

Sandrah knows everyone!

I absolutely love how every banter is just there to stroke Sandrah's ego.

Interesting area, the right door leads to...

An encounter with some Drow priestesses , both of which are carrying Ashideena.

The right door leads to...

...Jarlaxle, Errtu and Artemis Entreri, quite the rogues' gallery.

Catti-Brie takes a moment to talk to us before fleeing.

You'd think this fight would be extremely hard but it wasn't all that noteworthy, Artemis got hit by project force early on and for some reason just decided to lay there for the majority of the fight.

Jarlaxle has some sweet gear.

So does Artemis. Vichan can make great use of these!

We also find a scroll that lets us upgrade the Ice Slasher, more on that later.

Nothing to do but head back, I guess.

...Hello?

What a random place for him to pop up, he's dead in moments as well. He could barely get a hit in.

While exiting the caves we meet this mysterious robed figure who teleports us to...

The mountain of the dead, how ominous.

There's a dragon skull laying around here, this'll come in handy in a bit.

Just the sight of this screenshot is giving me PTSD.

Inside we find a dwarf who can smith some items for us, I told you that scroll and skull would come in handy!

(Also can modders stop using 'by Moradin's hammer' every other sentence whenever a dwarf talks?)

This area is filled with vampires. Hasted vampires. With tons of HP.

We eventually make it to this area which is no better than the first.

See those two women at the back? They spam Power Word: Kill. I've got two Death Wards per rest. :negative:

At least the loot's worth it.

The robed figure uses David Warner's voice lines from BG2, who on earth could he be!? This encounter was such a pain that even getting this screenshot took some effort. Fireballs, Power Word: Kill, you name it. I had to reload more times than I could count and only Sandrah's overpowered summons drawing his attention allowed me to carry the day. Did I mention a Tanari appears later on in the fight?

...Where did I hear that before?

...Still drawing a blank. At least I know where he got the Tanari from.

I'm guessing this isn't the last we've heard from him.

Nothing left to do but head outside, I guess.

Drizzt leaves us, many tears were shed.

All of these areas show up on the World Map, by the way.

And that's the end of Drizzt Saga, yet another submod dealt with. I'm guessing most of the annoying parts were Sandrah Saga additions, the difficulty spiked considerably at the end for some reason.

Next time we'll continue our streak, I'd wager we're about 75% done with BG1 at this point! :)

Vichan fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Nov 7, 2021

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

"How big is Sandrah's Harem?" is ultimately a brilliant question which lies along the lines of "How many angels can fit on the tip of a needle?". The central problem being whether the amount of potentially existing angels (in the case of Sandrah the Members of Harem, or MoH for short) is infinite, whether or not they occupy any space and whether such space can be quantised.

To examine the problem we will attempt to address each of the above aspects in turn. Firstly, whether the amount of potentially existing angels (and, similarly, the MoH) is infinite or not: in terms of angels one can either assume that the amount of angels is infinite, on the basis that they are created by the Lord out of the void; or that the amount is bound by the space of existence - which superficially relates to the question of whether the angels have concrete dimensions. But even if we assume they do not (as I will attempt to further argue later on) we can ask whether such angels are truly unique existences if they lack unique size and location, as presumably all other features of angels (name, character, preferences) are finitely quantizable. This, I would argue. then gives an upper bound on the amount of angels, being the product of the size of all sets of unique features of all potential angels.

Taking a similar approach to the MoH, one can also superficially say that the amount is infinite - after all another future MoH can always be created through Sandrah showing interest; however I would argue again there is an upper bound on this potential amount. Analogously to angels, the domain of potential MoH is limited by the amount of unique existences within the WotC (Wizards of the Coast) multiverse, presumably further limited by those which Sandrah may potentially be willing to form a romantic relationship with.

I'm too bored to finish (or perhaps not bored enough, rather) this but my ultimate answer is that it's a subset of all beings that ever existed, exist or will exist within the forgotten realms, limited in part by the size of the surrounding space of the locations that she will occupy within in the course of her existence, albeit this limitation would not apply to beings without a defined size, such as spirits, souls and gods. Though giving a precise figure would be impossible due to the lack of precise data on the number of such beings.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Feb 22, 2021

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Wanted to tie things off with a neat bow so this chapter is a bit on the short side. My lovely combat-screenshot-taking skills really shone through here, though the combat wasn't really engaging as much as it was frustrating.

Off the top of my head we have the rest of Northern Tales of the Sword Coast, The Stone of Avaskar and The Vault left to go as far as large mods go. I'll use the occasion to try and squeeze some banters out of the NPCs we haven't really bothered with up to this point.

Lysan Lurraxol
Jun 27, 2013
How is 'come here and tell me about my grandmother, who you also shagged' a prelude to sexytimes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
So what I'm getting is that Sandrah's family tree is in fact a circle.