Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I hate holbrook's bootlicking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

StrixNebulosa posted:

I hate holbrook

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks

King Aroo 12/28/53

They'll Do It Every Time 12/26/46

Mopsy 1/5/43

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Just out of curiosity, how many times has the thread title changed this year? Because it feels like a lot.

The Dinette Set doesn't have time for that.

Working Daze is zero jokes, two "punchlines".

Super-Fun-Pak Comix escalates.

Cul De Sac is honest.

(also gently caress Holbrook)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Evil Mastermind posted:

Just out of curiosity, how many times has the thread title changed this year? Because it feels like a lot.
I've been keeping a list in the OP for shits and giggles:

Haifisch posted:

Past Thread Titles
Comic Strip Thread 2020: Weirdly, I just fled...FLED FROM THE BLOOD
Comic Strip Thread 2020: Causes Goat Keen Disappointment And He Cries Bitterly
Comic Strip Thread 2020: ART MUST CONTAIN TRUTH!! ART MUST CONTAIN TRUTH!!
Comic Strip Thread 2020: Behold My Ceiling Star Body
Comic Strip Thread 2020: we quietly mumble to ourselves "but there was sport now"
Comic Strip Thread 2020: Viva! WEN-TACK
Comic Strip Thread 2020: I'll Never Reveal Anything You Can Use to Hunt Nancy
Comic Strip Thread 2020: Curtis' Dad Has Got It Goin' On
Comic Strip Thread 2020: It's Not a LOL, But I'm Smiling
Comic Strip Thread 2020: Mo Was Pretty Prescient in Being Depressed
Funky Winkerbean Megathread 2020: Lisa Begins
Comic Strip Megathread 2020: It's My Right! To Poop Whenever!
'Funny' Comic Strip Megathread 2020: Les, Miserable
Comic Strip Megathread 2020: Your Dumb Antics Certainly Keep Me In Tears and Stitches
Comic Strip Megathread 2020: Val is Calmly Drowning Him
Comic Strip Megathread 2020: The Urge

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

B Kliban

No New Zealand or Australia!

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Y’all are talented.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
this is probably sacrilegious, but, er, i don’t think “the far side” is that funny. i get that the comic was highly influential in its time, and maybe all the mediocre imitations that followed devalued it. still, the captions feel overwritten; they should have been edited down to be snappier.

the weiner dog packing factory was pretty good, though.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Cul De Sac is honest.

This one could be sadly prophetic.

Evil Mastermind posted:

(also gently caress Holbrook)
+1

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

this is probably sacrilegious, but, er, i don’t think “the far side” is that funny. i get that the comic was highly influential in its time, and maybe all the mediocre imitations that followed devalued it. still, the captions feel overwritten; they should have been edited down to be snappier.

It's okay to be wrong

... Seriously it's interesting to dissect comics and think about why they do/don't work. This thread loves cul de sac and I don't get it or have fondness for it, and I suspect that's due to how it seems to have no punchline other than "toddlers, man"

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

The other thing is that regardless of whether you hate or love a comic it's going to keep being posted. ESPECIALLY if you hate it.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
just like Garfield :)

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I do agree the strongest Far Sides are the ones that don't have any captions.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

StrixNebulosa posted:

The other thing is that regardless of whether you hate or love a comic it's going to keep being posted. ESPECIALLY if you hate it.

Oh, baby!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

I enjoy Far Side but I also grew up reading collections of it. I think part of the problem is that its general vibe/style of humor has been done to death by the internet by now, so it feels less fresh than it would have back in the day. Peanuts/Seinfeld/etc syndrome.

And although it never reaches full 'yikes' territory iirc, some of the strips involving 'primitive' people haven't exactly aged well since they're based on cliches/premises/stereotypes you absolutely could not get away with today.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The Far Side's beauty is that it's a lasagne of cleverness and mindless absurdity. Different comics have different balances of it, but both layers are always there.

The Samurai Bar one from a few days ago comes to mind here. The whole thing is two absurdities running into each other, but there's something oddly thoughtful about the particular mix - I think the clever part is that he's kind of drawing out the absurdity of the samurai stereotype, too.

Anyway thanks for coming to my TED talk

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
If we're confessing about what acclaimed comics we don't like, I've never thought any Berkeley Breathed comics were funny. Feels good to finally say it.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I think I've seen, like, a maximum of two Oh, Baby! comics in my life. Are there more? How deep does the madness go?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Green Intern posted:

I also went and used a free gifmaker to do this, which I think is basically as good as it gets
"Loon, Crazy and Laughable" for text
I got rid of some of the little black spots on the gif you made,
but this is the one to use.

Edit: I tried to put motion in the owl one too.

I would like the text to be "Old Owl, a Lookout" like the comic says, if it's not too late.

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jun 9, 2020

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I submitted the av changes just a bit before catching the animated versions. I don't want to hassle Literally a Bird too much (although imo her sympathies should naturally be with the Bird Gang to begin with) but if nobody bites on the other gang members in the next couple of days I'll see what I can do about subbing in the .gifs.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Fort Knox

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise

You're welding with a cutting torch Willie!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

Such are the benefits of having a mod who reads the thread. In retrospect we should have asked for a second one years ago.

Professor Wayne posted:

If we're confessing about what acclaimed comics we don't like, I've never thought any Berkeley Breathed comics were funny. Feels good to finally say it.

You're not alone in that sentiment friend. I'd think it's a generation gap thing because I wasn't around in the eighties but I get the vague impression that some people my age like it around here.

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

This is far too much trouble to tell a dad joke to a complete stranger.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

He has way less than half his hair left though. :v:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

In today's Corto Maltese: Gee, Rasputin, way to not incriminate yourself, or Corto and Ras get the ok to get the hell outta Manchuria, or 'You know, Raspa, I think this could be the start of a beautiful friendship'

...and so ends the prematurely shortened Early Years! I don't know what direction the comic would have taken, from my memory the idea was that the two would have some assorted adventures in South Africa and from there to their piratical career in the Pacific with Monk, but... it is not to be.

Join me next time, won't you, for another jump through time in Tales of the Midnight Sun!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Poil posted:

He has way less than half his hair left though. :v:

They should pay him

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

How Wonderful! posted:

I submitted the av changes just a bit before catching the animated versions. I don't want to hassle Literally a Bird too much (although imo her sympathies should naturally be with the Bird Gang to begin with) but if nobody bites on the other gang members in the next couple of days I'll see what I can do about subbing in the .gifs.

Cheers. Thanks a bunch!

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä

Kystä kyllä is an old phrase that I had to Google, it means "plenty of food". I don't know if the agreement is a reference to something specific.

If someone offered me a walrus bank like that, I'd probably sign anything they put in front of me

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

B Kliban

Here we see the first of his "Sheer Poetry" strips. I've censored it because it's got upside down girl boobs in it.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 6/8/00

Brenda Anticlimax 4/13/41

In which Messick realizes she doesn't really know how to end the "Brenda's frozen feet" story and just waves it off with "Larry bought her new feet, or something." And then gets down to the important business of drawing women in Easter hats.

Also, Pesky, stop trying to make "Zoom, zoom!" a thing.

Smokey Stover 11/10/35

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Smokey Stover rules.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Old School Peanuts (Oct 29, 1951)

Calvin and Hobbes (Sept 8-9, 1987)

Robbie and Bobby

(Feb 25, 2016)

(May 22, 2020)

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Mr. Boop

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

i'm concerned for the safety of mr boop

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Bugs Bunny is a pretty funny guy but he sure does joke about some dark stuff! It's fine, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Someone please report Bugs before he does anything that is a danger to himself or others.

Edit: Bird Gang Bird Gang