Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

General Battuta posted:

The Library at Mount Char is real good. If you've ever wanted to read a book about posthuman Elder Gods dropping the hammer and going to war over the universe while tiny humans scramble around underfoot, this is for you. It's rough around the edges (mostly pacing wise) but the sense of escalation is awesome.

I'm reading it right now - I'm about three-quarters of the way through it - and it is real good. There are chapters in which I am horrified beyond words, and chapters in which I can't stop laughing.

This is his first book, right? I haven't been able to find anything else by him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

One point of good news is they're already named, which leads one to assume there's at least some plot structured out to fill the whole series. At least it's not SOIAF or Expanse where they just keep adding books.

Also be aware that the author apparently suffers from months-long bouts of crippling depression that make his work schedule kind of unpredictable.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

johnsonrod posted:

Thanks to whoever recommended "The Southern Reach" trilogy about a month ago. I was sick a from work on Friday and decided to give Annihilation a try. I couldn't put it down and ended up buying the other 2 and finishing the last book this morning. It's been a long time since I've read something that I just absolutely could not put down. I'd highly recommend it for anyone looking for a horror / sci fi mix. Very loving eerie trilogy.

Also, I finished "Aurora" by KSR last week sometime and considering I'm not really a fan on his style, I actually quite enjoyed it. It's the only book of his I've ever managed to finish.

If he had managed to stick the landing I would have put it maybe in my lifetime best of, but the third book is just such a loving wreck.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

^burtle posted:

If he had managed to stick the landing I would have put it maybe in my lifetime best of, but the third book is just such a loving wreck.

....Are you referring to Aurora or Southern Reach here?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Southern Reach. Aurora is stand alone.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
The last book's the best one :colbert:

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Leather Bear posted:

Oh god there's gonna be seven Locke Lamora books? That's gotta suck. Being tied to the same world for so many years.

I actually tend to prefer long series, gives you more time with a world and/or characters. An author being obligated to continue with a series against his will isn't a good sign for quality though.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Wolpertinger posted:

I actually tend to prefer long series, gives you more time with a world and/or characters. An author being obligated to continue with a series against his will isn't a good sign for quality though.

Against his will? It's not like the publisher said "Write seven books or we shoot your dog!" He/his agent had to have told the publisher "I have seven books planned. Here are the titles." for them to consider a large-multi book deal.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
So how does he get paid? Or any author on a contract to write out a series? Is there a time constraint like all five books delivered in eight years? I'm genuinely curious. Because I can only imagine how lovely being three books in a seven book series and knowing you gotta deliver four more right after another.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Leather Bear posted:

So how does he get paid? Or any author on a contract to write out a series? Is there a time constraint like all five books delivered in eight years? I'm genuinely curious. Because I can only imagine how lovely being three books in a seven book series and knowing you gotta deliver four more right after another.

That would be negotiated and put into the contract before it's signed. Hopefully the author has a real good agent.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

General Battuta posted:

I'm willing to hear why.

johnsonrod
Oct 25, 2004

^burtle posted:

General Battuta posted:

Authority was hands down my favourite of the three, but I really enjoyed all of them. When I looked around online after I'd finished Acceptance, I was honestly surprised to see the mixed reactions some people had had with it. What exactly about it did you not like? I've read some of the complaints people have had with it and there's definitely some common themes but I'd be curious to hear your take on it.

Personally I loved it. It answered just enough questions to satisfy yet kept the idea that Area X is just too alien for a human intelligence to possibly comprehend. I don't need to know what happened to Control or Grace and Ghost Bird or the rest of the world. The mystery fits much better with the whole "acceptance" theme of the book instead of some over explanation.

Also, every Saul chapter was loving gold. Getting to know him and then watching his slow decent into madness was done perfectly. The scene where he falls asleep on the top step then transitions into some insane super apocalyptic dream was the highlight of the whole trilogy.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

taser rates posted:

TDF was written in 2008, before bin Laden was killed.

Chavez being succeeded by someone reasonably competent is still a hilarious failure of prediction, though.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

flosofl posted:

Against his will? It's not like the publisher said "Write seven books or we shoot your dog!" He/his agent had to have told the publisher "I have seven books planned. Here are the titles." for them to consider a large-multi book deal.

I don't mean like literal coercion but if he's lost any enjoyment out of writing halfway through the series and would really rather be writing something else then that can't be good for book quality.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Not sure if anyone else here reads these but the new Harrison Peel Files book is out now.

I love this series. It's sort of like James Bond meets Lovecraft. Sorta.

Anyway, just placed the pre order for the book and boom, showed up in my kindle to read about 2 mins later.

http://www.amazon.com/Temporal-Deception-Harrison-Peel-Files-ebook/dp/B00YX9CHFK

It's book 5, so if you haven't read any of the others you are gonna be kinda lost. I think the first one is on sale for 99 cents though.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I love this series. It's sort of like James Bond meets Lovecraft. Sorta.

So it's just American Laundry files, without the Nerd jokes?

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

johnsonrod posted:

Authority was hands down my favourite of the three, but I really enjoyed all of them. When I looked around online after I'd finished Acceptance, I was honestly surprised to see the mixed reactions some people had had with it. What exactly about it did you not like? I've read some of the complaints people have had with it and there's definitely some common themes but I'd be curious to hear your take on it.

Personally I loved it. It answered just enough questions to satisfy yet kept the idea that Area X is just too alien for a human intelligence to possibly comprehend. I don't need to know what happened to Control or Grace and Ghost Bird or the rest of the world. The mystery fits much better with the whole "acceptance" theme of the book instead of some over explanation.

Also, every Saul chapter was loving gold. Getting to know him and then watching his slow decent into madness was done perfectly. The scene where he falls asleep on the top step then transitions into some insane super apocalyptic dream was the highlight of the whole trilogy.

I feel if he was going for that end it would have worked better as one book. When there are multiple books I expect conclusions to narrative arcs or better answers than oh yeah it's some terraforming poo poo. And yes, I understand the lack of cogent answers was part of the point, but that doesn't make it enjoyable to read.

I did like Annihilation quite a bit but didn't think that much of the other two.

I want more Ambergris books.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Neurosis posted:

And yes, I understand the lack of cogent answers was part of the point, but that doesn't make it enjoyable to read.
I'm with you on that one. On the other hand, Acceptance had the biologist's story of being stranded in Area X which was one of the best parts of the entire trilogy (especially given the monstrous payoff).
Authority is still the best book of the three, though. Shame it seems to promise more than Acceptance could deliver.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Funny, Authority was by far my least favourite, although I appreciated it more after Acceptance.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ArchangeI posted:

So it's just American Laundry files, without the Nerd jokes?

With less optimism as well.

I really like Conyers' concept of the shoggoth and there's definitely some interesting stuff in there. I'll have to pick this one up next.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

flosofl posted:

With less optimism as well.

I really like Conyers' concept of the shoggoth and there's definitely some interesting stuff in there. I'll have to pick this one up next.

Less optimism than the Laundry files? That's hard to believe.

But I'll definitely pick up the first book, sounds like a good recommendation.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

PINING 4 PORKINS posted:

Less optimism than the Laundry files? That's hard to believe.

But I'll definitely pick up the first book, sounds like a good recommendation.

I've found while there are dark and moody parts, there's a current of optimism in the Laundry Files.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
If anyone's looking for some SF mil-fic, I've just finished (and been impressed by) The Red: First Light. Power armour, brain interfaces, GIs; that kind of thing.

It also has a publisher I didn't recognise. Turns out Saga Press is Simon & Schuster's new SF imprint. This and Grace of Kings makes for a good start, so I'll be keeping an eye on them in future.

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Aug 20, 2015

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

coffeetable posted:

If anyone's looking for some SF mil-fic, I've just finished (and been impressed by) The Red: First Light. Power armour, brain interfaces, GIs; that kind of thing.

It also has a publisher I didn't recognise. Turns out Saga Press is Simon & Schuster's new SF imprint. This and Grace of Kings makes for a good start, so I'll be keeping an eye on them in future.

The sequel to First Light, 'The Trials', came out on Tuesday. I enjoyed both.

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer

Kesper North posted:

The sequel to First Light, 'The Trials', came out on Tuesday. I enjoyed both.

Oh snap, I liked First Light a ton as well. It's fairly believable SpecMilFic from an author who has a background about as far from the military as you can get (Degree in I think, Zoology?)

thetechnoloser fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Aug 20, 2015

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

thetechnoloser posted:

Oh snap, I liked First Light a ton as well. It's fairly believable SpecMilFic from an author who has a background about as far from the military as you can get (Degree in I think, Zoology?)

I liked First Light enough that I went back and read her earlier books. They're mostly pretty out-there posthumanist space opera, and while normally I'd be all over that, they're not as good. But The Trials was consistent in quality with First Light, so I think she's really grown as an author.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Just finished listening to Rainbows End. Really enjoyed it. Do any of Vinge's other novels pick up where it left off? I really want to know who Rabbit really was and what happened to Vas, if anything.

Started on Red Mars. Bit dense to start but it seems good so far.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Hahah, Dinosaur Lords opens strong. Dinosaur armies clash! Treachery! AMNESIA

this book has everything

RndmCnflct
Oct 27, 2004

Just read The God Makers by good ol' Franky Herbert. Found it in a pile of old books; the binding was ruined and all the pages were falling out. It may be the best book I've ever read. Short, sweet, better than Dune.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
if you like non-dune herbert books destination void is also really good.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

this book has everything

From the Bowels of Christ I Beseech You to put it down and slowly walk away.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

this book has everything

I beg of you, do not do this to yourself.

You will regret it.

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde

andrew smash posted:

Has anyone read The Jesus Incident?
Was thinking about picking up something after reading Dune for the first time.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Khizan posted:

I beg of you, do not do this to yourself.

You will regret it.

Oh this hadrosaur has no brakes

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Kampfy Von Wafflehaus posted:

The Jesus Incident is part of the series that starts with Destination Void. And yes, and it's also really good.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

andrew smash posted:

The Dosadi Experiment is also really good. Especially if you like frogs and/or legal proceedings.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

quote:

Frank Herbert

I had a good haul at the dirty* second-hand bookshop with very few English books. Along with a Heinlein collection and an interesting-ish essay collection called Asimov on Science Fiction, I found a copy of Dune:

Then I noticed something a little odd about it:

It's a "1500 word" edition, for people who only know that much English, although my first thought was "Hmm, I wonder if you could retell Dune in a short story..." Looks about a third the length of the original, and surprisingly faithful to the original from what I could tell. Pretty neat.

*I look carefully before I even touch the drat books.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Kampfy Von Wafflehaus posted:

As someone noted read Destination: Void first, it's really good and it's also a prequel to The Jesus Incident so it helps make sense of some of the weird stuff in TJI.

...Except I still found TJI too weird to understand, so I don't really recall if it was any good. But D:V I really enjoyed. :shobon:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

When was that published? That thing in the background looks suspiciously like the Death Star.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
It's a large moon being orbited by a smaller one. Look at the sides of them that are shadowed.