Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Ignite Memories posted:

I had a roomate whose girlfriend was really into his nids, and begged him to let her paint one. He let her paint one of the old carnifexes (not the huggyfex, but the one after that) which we called mamafex. She painted it bright pink and blue, which did not match his color scheme at all.

A few months later, I knew they had broken up when I walked into the living room and saw him repainting the carnifex.

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Naw, it's cool, that was a pretty toxic relationship. There was a whole love-triangle thing with another lady, and at one point his girlfriend suggested that she just 'swap over' and be my girlfriend so everyone could be happy.

Except that I wouldn't have been happy, because I didn't like her very much.

...AAANYWAAY

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Mar 25, 2016

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
yeah but then you'd have had someone to paint your minis for you

sounds like you lost out imho

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.
So currently in 40k Balance you have...

Space Marine Humans - Pretty good to really good.
Tau - Top tier.
Eldar - They gonna give it to ya.
Dark Eldar - They are not gonna to give it to ya.
Adeptus Mechanics - One single formation is good. The rest is just junk.
Humans Who Are Not Marines - Pretty much junk. Tanks are stupidly bad. Just imagine like as bad as Tyranids here.
Humans Who Are In A Really Big Robot - Pretty good and requires a silver bullet to stop.
Tyranids - Just the worst thing. Rules are written by someone who actively despises them and have been written by this person for several editions.
Orks - Also terrible. Really really bad. If people shoot at them they get confused and shoot each other.
Demons - Really good with a certain specific formation. Has lots of terrible trap options and entire gods are garbage.
Chaos Marines - Good army as long as no Chaos Marines are taken and only robots or demons. For demons See Above.
Necrons - Pretty good in certain formations. Has some crap too.

So 4 are decent. 3 are decent in a very specific formation.

7 are garbage if you just take fun and interesting armies.

Thats not very well balanced.

"What do I mean by formation?"
When I say one formation of Adaptus Mechanicus is good here is how it works in this tactical game: All your stuff gets free weapon upgrades and plasma weapons for free. They are the best plasma weapons and don't explode in the users hands and set them on fire where they run around in circles then die. Other non formation plasma weapons do this. Also the entire army lands in pods from space and gets to get a free round of shooting from anywhere on the board. If you do not take that formation you do not get anything in return.
This is how formations work in 40k except some people get terrible formations. Tyranids for example.

Doctor Borris fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Mar 25, 2016

Caros
May 14, 2008

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Do you think you have what it takes to write thinly veiled fascist propaganda at a third grade level?

http://www.blacklibrary.com/Home/write-for-black-library.html

The best part of this was finding out that Black Library's Short Story rate is 5p/word. Seeing as how they are looking for 10,000 word short stories the grand total you'd earn $500 for publication in one of their anthologies.

Admittedly my values are probably skewed from working in traditional ghost writing and publishing, but $500 for a short story in an established setting feels insultingly low. I ghost wrote a Star Wars story for their awful magazine about five years ago and made five times that for 3/4 the word count. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised because... GW, but jesus guys.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Doctor Borris posted:

So currently in 40k Balance you have...

Space Marine Humans - Pretty good to really good.
Tau - Top tier.
Eldar - They gonna give it to ya.
Dark Eldar - They are not gonna to give it to ya.
Adeptus Mechanics - One single formation is good. The rest is just junk.
Humans Who Are Not Marines - Pretty much junk. Tanks are stupidly bad. Just imagine like as bad as Tyranids here.
Humans Who Are In A Really Big Robot - Pretty good and requires a silver bullet to stop.
Tyranids - Just the worst thing. Rules are written by someone who actively despises them and have been written by this person for several editions.
Orks - Also terrible. Really really bad. If people shoot at them they get confused and shoot each other.
Demons - Really good with a certain specific formation. Has lots of terrible trap options and entire gods are garbage.
Chaos Marines - Good army as long as no Chaos Marines are taken and only robots or demons. For demons See Above.
Necrons - Pretty good in certain formations. Has some crap too.

So 4 are decent. 3 are decent in a very specific formation.

7 are garbage if you just take fun and interesting armies.

Thats not very well balanced.

When I say one formation of Adaptus Mechanicus is good here is how it works in this tactical game: All your stuff gets free weapon upgrades and plasma weapons for free. They are the best plasma weapons and don't explode in the users hands and set them on fire where they run around in circles then die. Other non formation plasma weapons do this. Also the entire army lands in pods from space and gets to get a free round of shooting from anywhere on the board. If you do not take that formation you do not get anything in return.
This is how formations work in 40k except some people get terrible formations. Tyranids for example.

40k is total garbage at this point

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Doctor Borris posted:

:psyduck:

Holy poo poo I didn't realise it was this bad. I'd heard about getting wargear for free, but you seriously get both free gear and the gear is exclusively better and they deep strike and they get a bonus shooting step?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

spectralent posted:

:psyduck:

Holy poo poo I didn't realise it was this bad. I'd heard about getting wargear for free, but you seriously get both free gear and the gear is exclusively better and they deep strike and they get a bonus shooting step?

well, what do you expect us to do, not give players an incentive to buy the new kits by the palletload and throw them on the table unpainted

*sustained fart diminuendo*

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Doctor Borris posted:

ITs funny you guys bring up Sisters of Battle.

My doctor girlfriend actually got into 40k with Sisters of Battle because she likes burning heretics and their style.

Then she lost a lot of games at the local store 40k league and got kinda discouraged with them. (this was back in 5th)

Then the new and just god awful white dwarf codex came out and stomped any more of her desire to play them. She still blames me as if I somehow could have seen the future and stopped her.

Yeah the only thing I saw as overtly sexist/skeevy in Sisters was the Sisters Repentia, which is a shame because the idea of lightly armored battle crazed nun with massive swords is :black101:. And I actually like their armor designs(normal sisters), but then I don't mind boob plate as long as it looks suitably heavy.

What GW did later in the lore and with their rules/models (rubbish, rubbish, and nothing) is awful.

I wouldn't have gotten into 40k at all if they didn't exist.

(I'm glad the fact that they were all metal and expensive as hell, even for 40k, kept me from buying minis for it.)

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Something about the idea that the only way to appeal to girls is with an all girl army just seems off to me.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Atlas Hugged posted:

Something about the idea that the only way to appeal to girls is with an all girl army just seems off to me.

Sisters are great, even if you're not a girl

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

As someone who has only had passing familiarity with Warhammer, the Sisters look awesome. Whats not to love about the whole satanic battle nun gimmick. I'm surprised there isn't a Chaos version called the Twisted Sisters.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Atlas Hugged posted:

Something about the idea that the only way to appeal to males is to have an all male army just seems off to me. :v:

If Guard had female models mixed in, like they were supposed to, maybe I'd have latched on to them. But the only people who seem to remember that women serve in the Guard is FFG. I'm sorry I like seeing fellow women kicking rear end and being cool, and dare I say, wanting female characters to invest myself a bit more in?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Eimi posted:

Something about the idea that the only way to appeal to males is to have an all male army just seems off to me. :v:

If Guard had female models mixed in, like they were supposed to, maybe I'd have latched on to them. But the only people who seem to remember that women serve in the Guard is FFG. I'm sorry I like seeing fellow women kicking rear end and being cool, and dare I say, wanting female characters to invest myself a bit more in?

I think you missed the point of his post entirely. Because you sassed him, and then reinforced his point immediately after.

(His point is that having zero female characters in most areas and then making a special Girl Power Unit on the side is silly and they should have just been mixed in in the first place).

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Chomp8645 posted:

I think you missed the point of his post entirely. Because you sassed him, and then reinforced his point immediately after.

(His point is that having zero female characters in most areas and then making a special Girl Power Unit on the side is silly and they should have just been mixed in in the first place).

Why not both? Why can't we have the Girl Power Unit and the more mixed unit? I'm not calling for an end to Space Marines.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Eimi posted:

Why not both? Why can't we have the Girl Power Unit and the more mixed unit? I'm not calling for an end to Space Marines.

I am, or at least all male Space Marines. We've been over this in the thread before. There's no good justification for Space Marines to be dudes only. I'm not a woman so I could be wrong, but I have to think that being told the only way you can be a woman in this game is to be a battle nun is just a bit patronizing. I'm not saying battle nuns are a bad thing. I'm saying that as the only option is a bad thing. I'd probably just go and play a different game.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Atlas Hugged posted:

I am, or at least all male Space Marines. We've been over this in the thread before. There's no good justification for Space Marines to be dudes only. I'm not a woman so I could be wrong, but I have to think that being told the only way you can be a woman in this game is to be a battle nun is just a bit patronizing. I'm not saying battle nuns are a bad thing. I'm saying that as the only option is a bad thing. I'd probably just go and play a different game.

For me personally, it sucks to really only have one option, but I appreciate that in general, it is a fully armored badass option. We've also discussed how other games tend to handle mixing in women. For all their horribleness, there hasn't been anything like the cheesecake minis Infinity put out for example. That puts me off a game more than only having one option. And it's not like other games are that better. Hell X-wing a game where your characters are represented by a name could do better with adding in female pilots. I mean it's not that important because the mini's are ships, but at the same time it takes way less effort to just say certain pilots are female too.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
They're not even that badass because they get butchered in the fluff all the time.

Fortunately Warpath seems to be taking the right approach to female minis in the game. No boob armor. Female heads for all sprues. Female characters from the beginning. Naturaly nerds were bitching about it on the Kickstarter.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Things were a lot better before Ward came along. :argh:

And that sounds cool for Warpath. I suppose I do like some differentiation between male and female more than the head, but I also don't know how bulky the armor in that game is. If it's really bulky like Space Marine bulky that's fine.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Atlas Hugged posted:

The all-male space marines thing is pretty dumb, especially the Chaos Marines who are...not following the rules anymore yeah? Plus the general added erasure of women from the setting in any capacity; once in a while you'll get a female Guardsman or Inquisitor or something, but most of the time 99% of the population seems to be purely male. Administrators, researchers, skull-servo Mechanicus weirdos, everyone is a dude. It's a fiction that women aren't involved in wars to start with, even if they aren't formally in armies. The Sisters themselves are fairly non-sexualized but then there's the Repentia and Dark Eldar and Chaos Titties and suddenly the non-sexualized representation count of the very tiny female population decreases even further. 12 year old girl-child me had a long period of interest in things like 40K (and other geek or fantasy related matters) and very slowly awakened to why parts of these settings were really offputting or felt strange.

It also really sucked that the Sisters sucked, got very little rules or figure support, no plastic releases or even their own Codex, etc. Space Marines have all this wild elaborate lore and the sisters have like, four orders with variations on black, white, grey, and red for color schemes.

(I can't remember if Tau are egalitarian within the castes, like who could tell if Fire Warriors were all male? And is anyone going to inspect a Kroot closely? But a lot of folks can't parse anything titless as female even when you name it the Hive Queen)

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

occamsnailfile posted:

The all-male space marines thing is pretty dumb, especially the Chaos Marines who are...not following the rules anymore yeah? Plus the general added erasure of women from the setting in any capacity; once in a while you'll get a female Guardsman or Inquisitor or something, but most of the time 99% of the population seems to be purely male. Administrators, researchers, skull-servo Mechanicus weirdos, everyone is a dude. It's a fiction that women aren't involved in wars to start with, even if they aren't formally in armies. The Sisters themselves are fairly non-sexualized but then there's the Repentia and Dark Eldar and Chaos Titties and suddenly the non-sexualized representation count of the very tiny female population decreases even further. 12 year old girl-child me had a long period of interest in things like 40K (and other geek or fantasy related matters) and very slowly awakened to why parts of these settings were really offputting or felt strange.

It also really sucked that the Sisters sucked, got very little rules or figure support, no plastic releases or even their own Codex, etc. Space Marines have all this wild elaborate lore and the sisters have like, four orders with variations on black, white, grey, and red for color schemes.

(I can't remember if Tau are egalitarian within the castes, like who could tell if Fire Warriors were all male? And is anyone going to inspect a Kroot closely? But a lot of folks can't parse anything titless as female even when you name it the Hive Queen)

Tau get named female characters, not a lot though.

My favorite is one of Farsight's samurai whos just a pyromaniac. A sister in spirit.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

I mean, fluff-wise, the Imperium's not too bad: their primary fighting force (Guard) is mixed-gender, and then they have two very small (compared to Guard, anyway) single-gender forces modeled after monks (Space Marines) and nuns (Sisters of Battle). The problem is that the all-male monks ended up being the most popular army by far, and so they get all the attention. No wait, the problem is that Guard has like 3 female models in total. No wait, the problem is that they added Sisters Repentia to sex up the Sororitas even more. No wait, the problem is that they tried to smother Sisters with a pillow. No wait,

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

i don't see the point of "WHY ARE ALL OF THE SPACE MARINES DUDES" because aren't they just pumped full of so many hormones and chemicals that they become entirely genderless anyways?

i figure that most women would choose an army due to "oh hey, that stuff looks cool, let me buy it and paint it" or "oh hey, i really like the backstory/elves/orcs/robots, i wanna play as those guys", just like how most men do

it seems like "theres not enough X in MY PLASTIC DOLLIE GAME" is a silly conversation to make, especially when the problem is more "oh hey, i walked into this nerd store and i was immediately made uncomfortable by every male turning his head and staring at me unblinkingly until i walked out"

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

i don't get upset that there aren't enough jews in space marine, but then again i'm a 5'9 chubby bearded guy who's loud and drinks heavily that plays dwarfs, so maybe i'm not the best person to consult on this subject

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Eimi posted:

Things were a lot better before Ward came along. :argh:

And that sounds cool for Warpath. I suppose I do like some differentiation between male and female more than the head, but I also don't know how bulky the armor in that game is. If it's really bulky like Space Marine bulky that's fine.

No, it's standard body armor. I guess you have two arguments here. The first is that a female soldier in combat gear looks identical to a male soldier and any difference in height is insignificant at that scale and would also be made up for in boots and helmet. The other argument is that you want female figures to look female even if that's not realistic, so a little curvier, a hint of a bust, etc. I'm not strictly opposed to that if the men are likewise played up to have over sized muscles and groin bulges. But the Warpath stuff is all standard proportion, so having the women be different doesn't really make sense stylistically.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

I think it's reasonable for some people to want a character they can identify with as their army's leader, and saying "everyone looks the same except for their heads" might not be the best way to achieve that. Halo Reach actually did a pretty good job in this regard:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

This is what Mantic are going for with their female officers.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Business Gorillas posted:

i don't see the point of "WHY ARE ALL OF THE SPACE MARINES DUDES" because aren't they just pumped full of so many hormones and chemicals that they become entirely genderless anyways?

i figure that most women would choose an army due to "oh hey, that stuff looks cool, let me buy it and paint it" or "oh hey, i really like the backstory/elves/orcs/robots, i wanna play as those guys", just like how most men do

it seems like "theres not enough X in MY PLASTIC DOLLIE GAME" is a silly conversation to make, especially when the problem is more "oh hey, i walked into this nerd store and i was immediately made uncomfortable by every male turning his head and staring at me unblinkingly until i walked out"

It'd help if space marines actually looked inhuman in the slightest.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Space Marines should be genderless, inhuman monsters, and so given them a mix of gender pronouns based on their pasts shouldn't be a big deal.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Eimi posted:

The two types of bulky armoured Enforcers have no difference, but the lightly armoured scout types have slightly different torsos where the armour protecting the upper body ends.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Avenging Dentist posted:

I think it's reasonable for some people to want a character they can identify with as their army's leader

i agree. all i'm saying is that there's bigger hurdles to the inclusion of women in gaming communities than "there aren't enough properly proportioned ladyhams in my army", such as "the guy i'm playing with went out of his way to sculpt pubic hair on his daemonettes and that's making me really uncomfortable"

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
it's too bad we spent all our budget this month on "kick the pubic hair dude out of the shop" and didn't have enough left over for decent female sculpts. oh well, next month

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

someone got banned from my lgs because he kept on putting jehovah's witnesses cards into all of the codexes to the point that each one would have like a dozen in them

thanks for reading

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

He was improving the quality of the writing. He was doing a public service!

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

i agree. all i'm saying is that there's bigger hurdles to the inclusion of women in gaming communities than "there aren't enough properly proportioned ladyhams in my army", such as "the guy i'm playing with went out of his way to sculpt pubic hair on his daemonettes and that's making me really uncomfortable"

Maybe these are two related concepts? I mean, maybe the fact that tradgame art has historically had to be dragged kicking and screaming into depicting ladies as something other than bikini battle-wenches when it isn't ignoring the fact that they exist altogether is the sort of thing that plays a role in tradgame communities having some hosed up attitudes towards women, I dunno, I'm just spitballing here.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There are multiple factors competing for supremecy in the "keep women out of tabletop wargaming" contest. I think we can criticise any one of them without having to defend it as being the most important of the factors. All of the factors are symptomatic of the "boys club" attitudes that pervade every level of this hobby, from corporate executives through content creators, concept artists, sculptors, writers, corporate shop staff, right down through independent store owners and staff, and then at the bottom of the chain, just piles and piles of disgusting customers (and "customers").

Here in the GW Death Thread, maybe it's most on-topic (yes, I know, shhh) to discuss the specific anti-women poo poo that GW does. Two of the most obvious and paramount ones are creating the for-girls faction and then neglecting it horribly when they're not actively punishing it, and then also not even managing to adhere to their own established canon when it comes to gender incluseveness in their other factions. A third one that we sometimes bring up is the way GW markets (yes, I know, shhh) their products directly and specifically to boys and young men.

One thing GW doesn't really do much is "tolerate toxic anti-women customers," but probably that's mostly because they don't tolerate customers of any stripe, or even really make room for their own customers any more. One-man stores don't have the toxic male nerds hanging around being gross to and about women, because there's no room for them to loiter.

So in conclusion maybe it's OK for us to focus on the key things GW is doing to promote and sustain misogyny in the tabletop wargames hobby? Even if we do basically have the same identical discussion about it every three to six months.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Leperflesh posted:

So in conclusion maybe it's OK for us to focus on the key things GW is doing to promote and sustain misogyny in the tabletop wargames hobby? Even if we do basically have the same identical discussion about it every three to six months.

Look it's this or boom3 posts (speaking of hobbies with hosed up attitudes towards women).

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
One of the things that drew me to Eldar was that, they actually had women being awesome, stabbing and shooting people in the face.
A ratio of two women to eight dudes in a box of guardians ain't much but then you have Banshees... took them long enough to get the unit in a good place but hey, they were there the whole time!

Also, I'm still wanting lasguns back on those Guardians because lasers are awesome :colbert:

Irate Tree fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Mar 25, 2016

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

SynthOrange posted:

He was improving the quality of the writing. He was doing a public service!

more like a PUBIC service

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Oh, wait, different anecdotes

• Locked thread