Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

:siren::siren:

:skeltal:If you want to engage in total shitposting about scrunts, skeletons, and warhams click here!:skeltal:

The Story So Far

- Fantasy gets End-Timed, Age of Sigmar comes out, it's bad in so many ways.

- GW released fancy $700 rules for your fancy Imperial Knights

- Games Workshop stores are now Warhammer stores, hilariously understaffed.

- GW is releasing digital codexes. Because GW doesn't know digital books work, they cost somewhat less than a physical codex. ($50.99 USD for the e-book codex, $58 for a physical hardback).

Here's a nugget of wisdom from GW regarding video games:

quote:

Potentially lucrative income from licenses granted to video games producers like the much anticipated and soon to be released Total War Warhammer will always be incidental because video gamers do not become modellers, and Games Workshop doesn’t know how to make good video games.

GW also doesn't do market research (aka what every goddamn company and corporation on this planet does):

quote:

"The Group does not undertake research activities."

Long story short GW operates on "We know what you want despite not bothering to know what you want, go buy some jewel-like objects of wonder."

How will GW last? My (best conservative) estimate would be sometime in 2019, but it depends when 3D printers are cheap and ubiquitous enough to make these "jewel-like objects of wonder" common and when most people are fed up with GW.

Other things of note

- Re-released the Lizardmen as Seraphon with round bases. Also search for Seraphon on Google and see what comes up. I'll be waiting.

- GW announced the Horus Heresy: Betrayal at Calth, and it will be released on the 14th.

- Vermintide is good, but at this point don't expect Dawn of War 3 or Space Marine 2.

- Total War: Warhammer will be released on April 28, 2016.

Looking for better games than GW's stuff?

Mantic has released Kings of War and Warpath, alternatives to Fantasy and 40k (respectively) with better rules. TG thread.

Fantasy Flight Games has X-Wangs. TG thread.

Sad that GW is no longer supporting Mordheim? Go play Frostgrave. You can just use your Mordheim dudes for Frostgraving. TG thread.

Broken Loose and Tyranids: Love that Was Never Meant to Be

:siren::siren:

Kaiju Cage Match fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Apr 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
Nice, I'd add in a link to the old thread, for Possums etc

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3603841

Age of Sigmar drama starts at page 361

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3603841&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=361

Renfield fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Nov 10, 2015

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

New death thread! I'm calling March 10 2017 this time.

Thanks friend I wanted this picture handy to create an airbrush stencil. :3:

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat
O thank god this is back. The other threads just aren't the same what with everyone making army lists and wanting to drop mad cash on gw products.

Let's go with 11 May 2017 because it would be a nice birthday present.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
gentle reminder for the new thread

:siren: DO NOT GIVE GW MONEY :siren:

Reset by Peer
Aug 14, 2015

Social Justice Battlemage

MikeCrotch posted:

gentle reminder for the new thread

:siren: DO NOT GIVE GW MONEY :siren:

Although, if you do give GW money, they will reward you with these sweet, sweet d7 dice for all your FateWeaver and Screaming Bell needs:

This way you can always win Age of Sigmor games on turn one, and never have to buy more models from them.

Reset by Peer fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Nov 10, 2015

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
With their 30k shenanigans, I'm giving GW a death date of 2020 as they find a sudden influx of nerds willing to part with twice the money for even more plastic space marines. Until they ruin 30k with formation creep and bad rules.

Fake edit, too late. IT BEGINS

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

TheChirurgeon posted:

Oh man, the bad rules from AoS have crept in to...

"Once per game, at the start of a shooting phase, you can shout FURY OF THE LEGION!" ... followed by bonuses.

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007

TheChirurgeon posted:

With their 30k shenanigans, I'm giving GW a death date of 2020 as they find a sudden influx of nerds willing to part with twice the money for even more plastic space marines. Until they ruin 30k with formation creep and bad rules.

I think that is fake, as someone in one of the space marine threads pointed out it refers to legions and chapters. It's not like GW is above that sort of shifting nomenclature though so I dunno.

If it is true, I think my favourite thing is that all units must have max models, and then you get "free" weapons upgrades. So if a unit of tacticals in 30K is 20 models that means you need at least 100 tactical marines to benefit from yelling at the game table. This one could be a coin flip IMO.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
The old GW Death Thread got me into Infinity instead of giving GW money. Thanks, Death Thread!

I tried to find it, but to no avail - somebody repost the story about the skaven sneaking into Sigmor's inner sanctum.

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

Reset by Peer posted:

Although, if you do give GW money, they will reward you with get these sweet, sweet d7 dice for all your FateWeaver and Screaming Bell needs:

This way you can always win Age of Sigmor games on turn one, and never have to buy more models from them.

... follow this path further and grap this unique Tzeentch patch ...

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.
Do the people that play this crap actually like the yelling rules?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Oh, thank gods. I was starting to get all twitchy without a Death Thread.

I learned something interesting over the last few days - the staunchest defenders of AoS are complete loving morons. As in, "cannot form and present coherent thoughts" level morons. Everyone I've ever heard actually voice a positive opinion of AoS who wasn't a frothing idiot was basically like, "Yeah, it sucks, but it's pretty brainless and easy to play. Like when you don't have the mental energy to play Go so you end up playing checkers." At least I can respect that kind of intellectual honesty.

Ilor fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Nov 10, 2015

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Sir Teabag posted:

I think that is fake, as someone in one of the space marine threads pointed out it refers to legions and chapters. It's not like GW is above that sort of shifting nomenclature though so I dunno.

I'd be pretty surprised if this turns out to be fake, given the craftsmanship. Suggesting that a typo in a Forgeworld-printed piece is evidence of forgery is pretty laughable.

Thug Lessons posted:

I remember when I worked for Games Workshop for a brief period back in 2006, I had to interview at the Battle Bunker and part of the process was playing a game of fantasy with another interviewee and making it narrative, I suppose as a way of testing how you'd teach people to play in the store. If there was a part of the interview that I came closest to flubbing, that was it, as I just couldn't bring myself to shout or make noises during this little test game. Which isn't to say that I didn't talk about the characters or whatever, but the guy across from me, also interviewing, was all about yelling "chaaaarge!" and what have you when his units charged across the board. It didn't really matter since I got the job (I have no idea if he was hired), but I've always felt that this was a bad thing to ask employees to do--the yelling and imaginary horse riding doesn't represent the game well to prospective players, it just makes the people playing look like total idiots.

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Nov 10, 2015

Reset by Peer
Aug 14, 2015

Social Justice Battlemage

grassy gnoll posted:

The old GW Death Thread got me into Infinity instead of giving GW money. Thanks, Death Thread!

The Old Death Thread got me into X-wangs and Frostgrave. Also due to AoS I started playing Warmachine and Malifaux.

Infinity is on my list. I've been eyeing Haquislam starter box for a while now, but I don't know anyone who plays it, and my old WFB friends already hate me for making them to buy wangs and fate decks and what not.

Thug Lessons posted:

Honestly, I thought the imaginary horses and "for m'lady" stuff was there just to piss off WFB old guard, and shame people into playing Spesh Mareens Stormfront Externals. Now I don't even know anymore. :shrug:

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Thank you for bringing this back, keeping my ridiculous nerdrage bottled up inside was getting tough and venting in the Warhammer Fantasy thread wasn't sufficient!

quote:

It's interesting that people have posted the list of contents and how much you would save compared to buying those pieces the normal way. That value is only based on what GW sell them out as, which makes it appear to be a good deal figures wise. My point still stands. FFG produced Forbidden Stars and it costs the same sort of price. Ok you don't get 40k compatible figures, but they still produced a game that has more in it than GW does even with the added expenses on top.

quote:

That isn't even comparable to Betrayal at Calth. That is a board game, BaC is a board game + a huge pile of wargaming miniatures. The latter has an incredible amount of value to a wargamer, the former does not. I have no idea how you could say it has "more in it".

$150 is a perfectly reasonable price for a boardgame because

Also, noted harsh but fair critic of Games Workshop, Bell of Lost Souls, has reviewed Betrayal at Calth; their verdict? 5/5 stars. Of course.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
I have no clue why GW felt the need to package Betrayal at Calth as a board game and not a 30k starter kit like Dark Vengeance, which is clearly what it is. They can save time and printing costs by just making a little booklet of campaign scenarios rather than a bunch of cardboard board game pieces. Ain't nobody gonna play that poo poo like a board game more than once.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

TheChirurgeon posted:

I remember when I worked for Games Workshop for a brief period back in 2006, I had to interview at the Battle Bunker and part of the process was playing a game of fantasy with another interviewee and making it narrative, I suppose as a way of testing how you'd teach people to play in the store. If there was a part of the interview that I came closest to flubbing, that was it, as I just couldn't bring myself to shout or make noises during this little test game. Which isn't to say that I didn't talk about the characters or whatever, but the guy across from me, also interviewing, was all about yelling "chaaaarge!" and what have you when his units charged across the board. It didn't really matter since I got the job (I have no idea if he was hired), but I've always felt that this was a bad thing to ask employees to do--the yelling and imaginary horse riding doesn't represent the game well to prospective players, it just makes the people playing look like total idiots.

Maybe they should do the full package and hire a jock to run out and give people wedgies if they're actually willing to yell "For the Emperor!" at their toys.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

TheChirurgeon posted:

I have no clue why GW felt the need to package Betrayal at Calth as a board game and not a 30k starter kit like Dark Vengeance, which is clearly what it is. They can save time and printing costs by just making a little booklet of campaign scenarios rather than a bunch of cardboard board game pieces. Ain't nobody gonna play that poo poo like a board game more than once.

That and board gamers aren't going to pay $150 for a mediocre board game when there are so many truly excellent options on the market for $100 or less. Doubly so since most people who are primarily board gamers aren't going to be interested in assembling and painting the miniatures, there's like 40 of the goddamned things.

EDIT: And I doubt this is going to attract loads of new players for the same reason it won't attract a lot of board gamers and also the only people who are gonna be interested in it because :siren: HORUS HERESY:siren: are people who are already interested in 40K to some degree.

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Nov 10, 2015

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I've read some GW fans complaining that people aren't giving the game a fair shot. I'm sorry but at $150 the company has to do a better job at showing that the game is worth it than the typical GW strategy of saying nothing except that the game has to be bought NOW or you will miss your chance forever (ignore unsold copies of Dreadfleet and Space Hulk in game stores across the nation).

If you are a board game person Fantasy Flight already has a really expensive 40k game you can buy and it's supposed to be pretty good AND it's cheaper than this one. At a certain point models are just expensive substitutes for cardboard standies so really I'm not that pumped to shell out the rear end just for those.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe

Ilor posted:

Oh, thank gods. I was starting to get all twitchy without a Death Thread.

I learned something interesting over the last few days - the staunchest defenders of AoS are complete loving morons. As in, "cannot form and present coherent thoughts" level morons. Everyone I've ever heard actually voice a positive opinion of AoS who wasn't a frothing idiot was basically like, "Yeah, it sucks, but it's pretty brainless and easy to play. Like when you don't have the mental energy to play Go so you end up playing checkers." At least I can respect that kind of intellectual honesty.

Yeah, no poo poo. Jesus gently caress people that think this game is the second coming of christ make me so mad. I finally lost it at this fuckin' post.

"I'm a parent. I have kids who won't get dressed in the morning without the promise of a treat. But I'm assuming you are an adult and don't need other people to encourage you to do the things you want to do. The whole Skinner Box approach to game design is a failed experiment (lucrative though it may have been), and the idea that a game designer must give you a reason for you to play a game in a particular way - that you would BLAME them for lacking it - speaks volumes.

The problem with extrinsic motivation is that ultimately, you end up engaging in behavior for the reward rather than for the behavior. If, at some point, the rewards dry up, then your motivation for doing something ceases to exist. I'm starting to feel like some miniature gamers are horses that have been raised in captivity, knowing how to feed themselves only when the carrot or stick tells them to. Age of Sigmar releases them free into the wild, where nobody beats them but nobody rewards them either, only for them to starve to death within a week. As they lie there, light fading from their eyes, they look back upon the beatings they received with fondness - it was the structure they desired. "

My response got me my first warning on DakkaDakka, I've posted there for many, many years. I think I'm done, I just can't believe how ignorant and haughty these horse-rapers are.

I play AoS. It's a lovely game, and with the right opponent it's the equivalent of playing a couch co-op video game or Munchkin.There is litterally nothing else to the game, and it is not something worth spending any money on. The way they post on other websites gives the impression that it is the absolute pinnacle of gaming, assuming you are smart enough to get it.

Forget the emperor's new clothes, GW is giving these guys a roman helmet and telling them its a +1 armor save.

Then they turn and look at me with nuts in their eyes to tell me I look like an idiot.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

TheChirurgeon posted:

Let's you jack up the price for poo poo people will throw out anyways.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Hi new Death Thread, just checking in to say that I moved a few states away and walked into a used bookstore only to find nearly mint copies of Human Sphere and Campaign Paradiso. So I may actually be able to play Infinity at some point, and it will be better than any GW game.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Saalkin posted:

They could do that without a board game though... bigger margins.

Thug Lessons posted:

Maybe they should do the full package and hire a jock to run out and give people wedgies if they're actually willing to yell "For the Emperor!" at their toys.

I'm not sure I get what you're going for here? I'm all for creating 'safe' spaces for people to play wargames, but I also think it's possible to present nerdly hobbies in a way that doesn't make you look like a total weeaboo. Just cause you're in to nerdgames don't give you carte blanche to be a fuckass.

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Nov 10, 2015

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

TheChirurgeon posted:

They could do that without a board game though... bigger margins.

Can't say the box weights a ton without poo poo loads of useless heavy cardboard in it!

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

TheChirurgeon posted:

I'm not sure I get what you're going for here? I'm all for creating 'safe' spaces for people to play wargames, but I also think it's possible to present nerdly hobbies in a way that doesn't make you look like a total weeaboo. Just cause you're in to nerdgames don't give you carte blanche to be a fuckass.

I'm saying that yelling rules are bad and following them makes you look like an idiot.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Thug Lessons posted:

I'm saying that yelling rules are bad and following them makes you look like an idiot.

fair enough!

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Saalkin posted:

My favorite thing is the die it comes with can't be used in anything! They could have at least made them d6s.
Then again people at the local GW play that assassin game which is one of the worse version of any coop game I've seen.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
OP, please put this link around the word 'Seraphon': https://www.google.com/search?q=seraphon&safe=off&tbm=isch

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Reset by Peer posted:

The Old Death Thread got me into X-wangs and Frostgrave. Also due to AoS I started playing Warmachine and Malifaux.

Infinity is on my list. I've been eyeing Haquislam starter box for a while now...
DO IT!!!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

So does infinity have a doge that goes with that not-solid snake?

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Ilor posted:

DO IT!!!

Not that GW models are any better in this regard but those guns are ludicrously big

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hi new death thread.

I predict that in Fall 2021, Games Workshop stock will drop below the minimum requirements for listing on the London Exchange. Just prior to being delisted, amidst discussion of a reverse stock split and resignation by the CEO Kevin Rountree, the company will be acquired by a competitor or large toy company. This will mark the "death" of Games Workshop as an independent business entity, but the rebirth of Games Workshop's long-abused intellectual property, as it comes under the management of an actually competent business.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
No otiose in a niche jokes in the death thread OP? I am disappoint.

Leperflesh, any chance of an uberpost about the legal and ethical implications of running a company into the ground whilst owning large amounts of its stock and paying yourself large dividends whilst the company slowly founders around your ears?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Gilganixon posted:

Not that GW models are any better in this regard but those guns are ludicrously big
Yeah, while the minis are 32mm true scale, the guns are oversized. In scale terms, those not-AK-47s are about 4 feet long. I think that's just to keep the muzzles from being wire-thin and fragile as hell in pewter.

@ChillLaChill - As a matter of fact, yes, there are. Google "USAriadna Dog Soldiers" or "Anitpodes" for examples. :P

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
I predict that GW will have a mass suicide ritual performed in front of the golden Stormcast statue as a new management initiative to properly train employees on selling their failing products correctly by December 2018.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

BlackIronHeart posted:

I predict that GW will have a mass suicide ritual performed in front of the golden Stormcast statue as a new management initiative to properly train employees on selling their failing products correctly by December 2018.

I'm not one to predict the future, but I think, in 10000 years. No one will even remember that GW existed.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

I'm not one to predict the future, but I think, in 10000 years. No one will even remember that GW existed.

GW will transcend space and time, GW will be Sigmor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

GW will transcend space and time, GW will be Sigmor.

Hey man, put that seraphon google search link in there :D

• Locked thread