Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Qwertycoatl posted:

It's not flashy but it's one of the options that gives you a few extra packs of monsters literally every map instead of just when some old league mechanic decides to appear.

Also with all the nodes, shrines will last like a minute and a half, and the shrine buffs themselves can easily be clear speed multipliers, so especially at league start they're gonna juice progression really well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

BigRed0427 posted:

I just figured for a minion build, I still need one offensive spell/skill.

Nope, you'll either hit like a wet noodle or you'll be wasting points scaling your spell damage and weakening your minions.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
So has anyone messed around with the inquis battlemage node recently? With the derpcast buffs I want to do some sort of elemental inquisitor and battlemage has always looked compelling but the fanaticism node is worthless because of the extra buttons it requires.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Cynic Jester posted:

So has anyone messed around with the inquis battlemage node recently? With the derpcast buffs I want to do some sort of elemental inquisitor and battlemage has always looked compelling but the fanaticism node is worthless because of the extra buttons it requires.

Mathil just did a build with it

https://youtu.be/6pqDH632Xsw

Edit

I’m dumb this is Fanaticism which op didn’t want

euphronius fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Feb 3, 2022

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
That build was based entirely on Fanaticism; Battlemage was just a speedbumb. Jester wanted the latter, not the former, and I haven't seen any stteamer builds based on actually going all in on Battlemage, so it probably isn't very good.

It might be better now that every spell has higher added damage effectiveness, but you'll be in uncharted waters.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Sorry confused the two

Andohz
Aug 15, 2004

World's Strongest Smelly Hobo

BigRed0427 posted:

I just figured for a minion build, I still need one offensive spell/skill.

I fall in this trap a lot with my minion builds but at most you'll have something offensive to apply a curse or proc an effect and that's it. Which can feel weird.

I'm trying absolution for the first time this league, partly because if I don't like it I should be able to turn it into a skeleton build pretty easily.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Cinara posted:

Lol this poo poo is gonna get nerfed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2MhrheRLOU

yes

quote:

Problem:
Stormfire's "increased Burning Damage for each time you have Shocked a Non-Shocked Enemy Recently" can be used with a number of specific mechanics to count as shocking a non-shocked enemy hundreds of times per second. This interaction provides problematic levels of damage.

Solution:
Update the Stormfire Unique Ring so the increased Burning Damage for each time you have Shocked a Non-Shocked Enemy Recently will be capped at 120%. To compensate, the base values of the damage increase will be raised to 8-12% increased Burning Damage. Existing items will be affected by this cap, but a Divine Orb will need to be used in order to update the increased Burning Damage values.

rawk cawk
Jun 19, 2002

Planimal is great.

Hamelekim posted:

Palsteron and crouching_tuna built the tree together and then made their own guides.

The high end build from Palsteron has 58 million dps.

End game POB is in the description.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGW3_wNlNqY

Just a PSA for this and anyone doing EA in terms of damage calculations - you will likely only have 18 fuses stuck in an enemy, as it's quite a pain to get the APS necessary to get that extra round of shots. See a good breakdown of calculations here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/PathOfExileBuilds/comments/sg9drc/explosive_arrow_attack_speed_breakpoints_explained/

Palsteron did a solid and put that into his Custom Modifiers in his POB for less damage, but be mindful of any other POBs, or your own POB when you get going. Using the sub-optimal formula in the above link, and only getting the 15% duration from the DoT mastery (no gem quality), you'd need 2.75 attacks per second to get the extra round off to have the full 20 fusing (24 actually).

Basically shoot for a little over 2 attacks per second and take the 15% duration DoT mastery to comfortably hit 18 fuses until you are ready to min-max. But 18 should carry you pretty far.

Edit: This is all assuming 6 ballista.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
Is elemental helix generally considered to be stronger than poison? I was planning on league starting the poison assassin one with nightblade but if elemental is much better/cleaner I'll probably swap.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

they've also added some additional 3.17 buffs to Crackling Lance since Mathil made that video:

quote:

Now has "35% more Damage with Hits and Ailments per Intensity" at all gem levels (previously 30%). Now has a Mana cost of 11 at gem level 1 (previously 12), up to 21 at gem level 20 (previously 23). Now has a cast time of 0.65 seconds at all gem levels (previously 0.70 seconds)

in particular, the base cast speed is 7% faster

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Aerox posted:

Is elemental helix generally considered to be stronger than poison? I was planning on league starting the poison assassin one with nightblade but if elemental is much better/cleaner I'll probably swap.

Idk about "cleaner" but the poison version gets to use plague bearer which really helps helix clear.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

It's being kinda hard to pick between skelemages or self cast hiero or inquis for leaguestarter so, I think I'll just start skelemages with the intent of getting a pledge of hands as soon as possible.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
beware
watching zizaran gives you worbs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cD-HOxGjkEk

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012

Flavahbeast posted:

they've also added some additional 3.17 buffs to Crackling Lance since Mathil made that video:

in particular, the base cast speed is 7% faster

Glad to hear it, since I'm planning to start with that. Now I just have to hope that the Mathil Effect doesn't make my gear impossibly expensive.

Also, I love that there's an entire section of patch notes for the patch notes.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Pretty sure people won’t be running to crackling lance no

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

The classic battlemage build is Waggle's vulcanus bf/bb which will probably be strong again this league.

PF Pconc caps out at 10-15 mil (focused, but at that level of damage you're phasing things before the focus poisons drop off) if you really push the dps, but that's getting into seriously expensive territory even in SC. You could probably get higher than that if you don't take advantage of the tankiness, aka the reason you'd ever want to invest a ton of money into the build.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Mathil's video is full of cautionary language yeah

I think I value dying less often so I might go with the deadeye helix.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Tenzarin posted:

Speaking of pconc, here's a youtube about swapping from pconc to poison helix pathfinder if anyone is interested. TLDR: its basically just play pconc pathfinder until you get a wasp nest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l74__0AiJFw

This is nice. Probably starting skeleton mages but if I get bored of it after a few weeks I might give this a go too.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Magus42 posted:

Nope, you'll either hit like a wet noodle or you'll be wasting points scaling your spell damage and weakening your minions.

redneck nazgul posted:

You don't need a offensive spell/skill, it's entirely feasible to spend all of your time buffing your minions and dodging while they eat things for you.

I will say that if you're starting out with minions, slot Purifying Flame somewhere. No need to link it to anything. It adds a little damage but creates consecrated ground which is going to give you and your minions a decent chunk of life regeneration. One of the biggest problems starting out with minions is that you can't keep them alive until you start getting them tankier and able to heal on their own.

Once your minions are tanky enough to survive without being babysat, you can drop it.

Andohz posted:

I fall in this trap a lot with my minion builds but at most you'll have something offensive to apply a curse or proc an effect and that's it. Which can feel weird.

I'm trying absolution for the first time this league, partly because if I don't like it I should be able to turn it into a skeleton build pretty easily.

Ok, so my focus on the passive tree and items is anything that buffs my minions, especially their defense. Should I also be focusing on my own defense, like HP and Shield?

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Noper Q posted:

Glad to hear it, since I'm planning to start with that. Now I just have to hope that the Mathil Effect doesn't make my gear impossibly expensive.

Also, I love that there's an entire section of patch notes for the patch notes.

I strongly recommend you gently caress around with it in Standard first, Crackling Lance is not nearly as user friendly as something like Arc.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Yes gobble up every possible life node, and generally necros go for max block using their bone offering ascendancy as a defensive player

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Ruetoo also made a battlemage BV inquis that looks pretty reasonable: https://pastebin.com/xSGQJmvm

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

BigRed0427 posted:

Ok. I definitely wanted to lean Minions over fire damage anyway. I just figured for a minion build, I still need one offensive spell/skill.

I just started a witch in standard to get a handle of the class before leauge starts and saw a combo I thought was cool.

Lucky for you, minion passives and builds are pretty straight forward, you just grab all the minion damage increases you can while also picking up some life and defense for yourself.

For the skills, 100% of your damage will be the minions slicing things up, anything you cast will be just enabling them to slice things up faster or move them or yourself to the next thing that needs slicing.
Zombies, Skeletons, certain supportive spectre's and a carrion golem makes for a pretty good shell for starting out with minions, just socket in minion support gems as needed and sockets allow, skeletons would be your killy minions with minion damage support and frenzy and the rest would probably get a combo of minion life, meatshield and resist supports to stay alive longer.

Just check what other people seem to be using on poe.ninja or a guide or just search for "minion" in the gem vendor and see what pops up.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

euphronius posted:

Mathil just did a build with it

https://youtu.be/6pqDH632Xsw

Edit

I’m dumb this is Fanaticism which op didn’t want

The mtx does a lot of lifting here tbh.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Messing around and made a tree with all of the generic travel nodes just to see what it looked like here

This gives 18.5% chance for map drops to be duplicated, 12% quantity of items found, 70% chance for an additional connected map to drop, and 30% increased effect of map modifiers with 29 points to spare. Add in shaping the seas, 12x favorite burial chambers... profit? :haw:

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Aerox posted:

Three helixes (as always, try the skill in standard, some people hate it) -
Poison assassin - smoothest clear with plaguebearer; wasp nest makes gearing for damage trivial; least tanky; delayed damage can be sketchy; lowest damage ceiling without good respec options.
Champion - designed for hardcore, sorta a meme build in softcore; call of steel can help clear; tankiest but slowest; scales well with investment.
*~Deadeye trinity~* - not as smooth a start as poison, but p darn close; have to balance elements for Trinity; fastest; highest ceiling with smooth progression to tens of millions of dps; great lategame respec options in wander, bows, raider LS, or even over to raider cold conversion helix.

There's the Pathfinder poison one too but I haven't dug into it. You should probably pick ele deadeye if you're starting helix in softcore. Gearing isn't quite as easy as wasp nest and ungils harmony, but for the weapon you can just throw moderately high flat damage essences at claws until you get either aspd or crit and can craft the other and have a weapon that'll take you to t16.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

As someone who has played helix raider before, I’m not sure I agree with all these posts about the clear being bad. It’s not bow/wand build levels of clear, but it’s manageable. And it should be even better now with that mastery that increases damage for each enemy pierced (helix has infinite pierce!).

Plus you get to juice up the “perceived clear” with some nice herald of ice mtx

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

the helm lab enchant to give helix another spiral is absolutely essential imo

it was the bossing that made me drop helix, not the clear

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

I should clarify that I haven't played to endgame and so don't have firsthand knowledge of these builds. That summary is from reviewing the vids and PoBs and some practice leveling in standard and ssf. That said, plaguebearer and call of steel both will help clear speed particularly for stragglers or enclosed maps, places where helix struggles even in campaign. I wouldn't avoid helix cause of worries about clearspeed - it's good enough and with tanky archnemesis mobs you'll want the st - I'd avoid it if you hate how it feels through vaal temple in a2.

Eta hawoawoooablammo what do you mean about bossing making you drop it?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Is there an android friendly version of the passive tree anywhere?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

pork never goes bad posted:

I should clarify that I haven't played to endgame and so don't have firsthand knowledge of these builds. That summary is from reviewing the vids and PoBs and some practice leveling in standard and ssf. That said, plaguebearer and call of steel both will help clear speed particularly for stragglers or enclosed maps, places where helix struggles even in campaign. I wouldn't avoid helix cause of worries about clearspeed - it's good enough and with tanky archnemesis mobs you'll want the st - I'd avoid it if you hate how it feels through vaal temple in a2.

Eta hawoawoooablammo what do you mean about bossing making you drop it?

it just took forever to kill, and finding the sweet spot to make sure your helixes got multiple hits on the bosses sucked. the helm enchant tightened up the spirals and helped, but it still wasn't fun

standing still to cast on bosses sucks enough, then with helix if they move a couple feet you're losing a lot of your damage

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I haven't seen a PoB but I have to think that cobra lash assassin would be a workable build... Especially for clear. You get an extra 50% dot multi right off the bat for crits. Seems like I could only be good if you're already using nightblade effect stuff.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

BigRed0427 posted:

I use POEmate. Note that for whatever reason it doesn't count allocated masteries as spent skills, so you have to do a small bit of math to figure out how many points / level you need to be.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Poe mate still works for IOS

I don’t know if there is an android

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

BigRed0427 posted:

POEMate on the app store is what I've been using for a long time now

External Organs posted:

I use POEmate. Note that for whatever reason it doesn't count allocated masteries as spent skills, so you have to do a small bit of math to figure out how many points / level you need to be.

Looks like there was just an update to fix that!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You can post links right into Poe mate it owns

Most of the time

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

I think I just hit a creature?

BigRed0427 posted:

Ok. I definitely wanted to lean Minions over fire damage anyway. I just figured for a minion build, I still need one offensive spell/skill.

I just started a witch in standard to get a handle of the class before leauge starts and saw a combo I thought was cool.

OK so here's what I did last league, and it's been what I've been fooling with since basically I started playing the game. Like you, I always felt like I needed a more active "attack" while my skeletons did there thing, because just sitting there/dodging just didn't "feel" right.

So my main skill is obviously skelly mages (was formerly melee skeletons with triad grips, but I like mages better) in a 6L in the chest slot. That's the meat and potatoes. Next up is the "damage spell", which takes the form Summon Raging Spirits with Minion Instability.

SRS goes into a Shaper influenced Bone Helm with lvl20 minion life and +2 minion skills, resulting in a psuedo-5 link. Links are srs, unleash, PHANTASMS, and Burning Legion (I'll explain). This results in pooping out 4 SRS per cast, that then themselves spawn phantasms, that are ALL on fire, and then die and pop. This makes SRS into effectively a delayed direct damage spell.

"But WTF BEES, can't you just use the SRS amulet and and drop burning legion for something else, since the chaos damage will kill the srs for you and make them pop?" Yes, I DO use that amulet, AND Burning Legion at the same time. I want my SRS to die and pop pretty fast, since they are acting as an active damage spell. Also with burning legion the phantasms are ALSO doing area damage and popping themselves.

Now here's the kicker, there's a fun cluster notable/mastery that "Heals minions for 5% of their life on minion death". This is HUGE and makes this goofy build hilarious. Every time an SRS dies it heals EVERY PET for 4 or 5%. This means that all your pets are CONSTANTLY getting healed to full, which is another reason why you need BOTH the Tavukai(?) amulet AND Infernal Legion support on your srs, because they will literally heal so much so fast after the first few SRS die that they will time out and poof, and not "die", so no pop.

Spectres go into the gloves, which are also Elder influenced for Faster Attacks for another 5 link. I really like a set of 4 redemption sentries. Solid damage and they freeze the hell out of everything for a fun defense layer. Boots is yet another Elder 5 link with Fortify, and I put zombies and stone golem here with both feeding frenzy AND meatshield, so I get the feeding frenzy buff, and a gang of fortified zombies/stone golem to keep things taunted off me.

The result is a giant amoeba like blob of elemental damage boys that are basically immortal because of the constantly popping SRS/phantasms. I apologize if this was a tad long but I'm really excited about my dumb build I've noodled out here. It gets stronger every league as I learn and try more and more stuff.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

^^^^this guy minions.

Arzachel posted:

Looks like there was just an update to fix that!

Holy poo poo. This must have literally just dropped.

External Organs fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Feb 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

WTF BEES posted:

OK so here's what I did last league, and it's been what I've been fooling with since basically I started playing the game. Like you, I always felt like I needed a more active "attack" while my skeletons did there thing, because just sitting there/dodging just didn't "feel" right.

That looks like a nicely synergistic build. :clint: :blastu: