Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Fortunately the option is there and people can play it in whichever language they like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
True gamers play monster hunter world in the monster hunter language

Go away overly excited Matt Mercer and Matt Mercer wearing Plate Armour Helm.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Okay, fine, I'll admit it. Normally I set all of my language options to Mime (French dialect), but I don't expect From to be this progressive of a developer when it comes to localization.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Remember when Halo 2 leaked early, so a bunch of peoples first play through was with French speaking Covenant, that was so rad.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Andrast posted:

lol at the loving subs vs. dubs argument about a FROM game

you must be new here

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Your Moms Ahegao posted:

Remember when Halo 2 leaked early, so a bunch of peoples first play through was with French speaking Covenant, that was so rad.

I was a college freshman at the time and had this version. Word got around my rather large college campus that I had Halo 2 early and for the entire month before release I would constantly come back to my dorm room to find random people in my room playing Halo 2 local multiplayer. My roommate was just too nice to turn people away. I didn't really mind either, but it was sort of weird every time you woke up from a nap you'd have a different sets of strangers in your room.

lonter
Oct 12, 2012
Someone's streaming the full game in german right now, terrible audio and video quality though.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vzN_SfLvlg

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Mmmmm blood splatters and low-res video.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

lonter posted:

Someone's streaming the full game in german right now, terrible audio and video quality though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vzN_SfLvlg

Oh no gently caress all of that and thank you for not making that a clickable link

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

They should just swap out all the options for Simlish and call it a day.

E:^^^^ your quote made the link clickable tho! :haw:

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

DON'T CLICK IT!!! WHY'D IT DO THAT poo poo

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
NO, CLICK IT! or don't, it's up to you

Anyway, here's the no-spoiler breakdown: Guy is playing a video game and muttering in German when things don't go as expected. He's not responding to people asking questions. Also it's sent at 1080p while looking like a pixelated 480 or lower.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

very disappointed that link isn't a goatse. what has the internet become.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Don't click these super spoilers.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Look Sir Droids posted:

Nobody ever seems to say this when a game is set in, like, South America though.

Tbh if a game is set in SA and they give you the option to put the local VA that would enrich the experience.

Assassin Creed is a great example for changing VA. When I played AC2/Brotherhood, I put the VA to Italian and it seriously made the game feel more authentic than hearing people speak English with New York style Italian accents.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah but then you miss out on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJcPc6OQ384

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Ah, what a classic. I remember losing my poo poo when this happened...

loving 10 YEARS AGO

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

JBP posted:

Don't alt-righters idolise Japan ironically/unironically for being a monoculture already
the alt-right view of japan as a conservative's paradise with no minorities is stupider than the 12 year old naruto fan's view of it as a place for them to talk about anime

at least some japanese people probably would think it's cool that a white kid's into naruto

Ulio posted:

Tbh if a game is set in SA and they give you the option to put the local VA that would enrich the experience.

Assassin Creed is a great example for changing VA. When I played AC2/Brotherhood, I put the VA to Italian and it seriously made the game feel more authentic than hearing people speak English with New York style Italian accents.

the recent tomb raider game had an option to have all the dialogue in the local languages only lara refused to stop speaking english so she just came across as the most obnoxious tourist ever because she clearly understood what they were saying but refused to speak back to them in their language

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

somewhat related, i will say that the jumping off rooftops onto unsuspecting mooks and ramming a pointy bit of metal through them as you land in sekiro looks very assassin's creed but as someone who likes the assassin's creed games that's a good point to me. i wonder how people expecting a souls game and who hate the assassin's creed games will feel about it though.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Plunging attacks have been in souls for a long rear end time, sekiro looks like it's just making them instakills on human enemies.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Ulio posted:

Having words on the screen and having to read breaks immersion for me way more than not hearing how I think the characters should sound.

I don't mind this in foreign films because I'd rather read than watch a bad overdub where the words don't match lips. But this is really not a problem any videogame has. No matter how good the mo-cap or animation is, the mouths move like word salad so any language looks close enough coming out. Definitely not in From games where it's not cutscene dialog. Sekiro will have cutscenes, but I'm guessing most NPC interactions will still be like Soulsbourne.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Plunging attacks have been in souls for a long rear end time, sekiro looks like it's just making them instakills on human enemies.

it's got some autoaim land directly on your target going on that the souls plunges don't have which makes it noticeably different i m h o

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Endorph posted:

the recent tomb raider game had an option to have all the dialogue in the local languages only lara refused to stop speaking english so she just came across as the most obnoxious tourist ever because she clearly understood what they were saying but refused to speak back to them in their language

That sounds great

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Cowcaster posted:

it's got some autoaim land directly on your target going on that the souls plunges don't have which makes it noticeably different i m h o

Which makes sense since dark souls controls do not exactly lend to agile aerial maneuvers

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

Frog Act posted:

Usually Japanese games are improved dramatically by using the Japanese voiceovers. I can’t even imagine, say, Yakuza with an English dub

Funny you should mention Yakuza.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ajsr5RwOTE

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

sekiro version of backstabs

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I’m gonna buy this game day one and really enjoy it I think, but I’m a bit worried cos I haven’t played a Souls game in a while but just picked up Bloodborne cos i finally got a PS4, and man, I am toilet water at that game. It’s actually triggering me pretty hard. So yeah, I guess I’m just gonna have to get good all over again.

I’m looking forward to it.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

WoodrowSkillson posted:

These are a bit different to that though, this is like targetting and launching yourself bodily off a building and landing into an animation to kill someone rather than just falling directly onto them from a platform and killing them.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

scary ghost dog posted:

sekiro version of backstabs

In sekiro 2 enemies will do a 180 and knock you out of the air

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

thebardyspoon posted:

These are a bit different to that though, this is like targetting and launching yourself bodily off a building and landing into an animation to kill someone rather than just falling directly onto them from a platform and killing them.

Yeah I know, it's taking a similar concept and using it to help facilitate being an agile grappling hook ninja

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I wonder how I'm gonna feel going from Sekiro to Assassin's Creed Odyssey, having never played an Assassin's Creed game. I bought it for super cheap about a month ago and meant for it to be my filler game until Sekiro came out, but alas I've barely touched it. Way too late now.

Schneider Inside Her posted:

I’m gonna buy this game day one and really enjoy it I think, but I’m a bit worried cos I haven’t played a Souls game in a while but just picked up Bloodborne cos i finally got a PS4, and man, I am toilet water at that game. It’s actually triggering me pretty hard. So yeah, I guess I’m just gonna have to get good all over again.

Don't even worry about it! This game may be hard, or it may not be that bad. The only Soulsborne DNA I see in it (from what I've seen) are largely UI elements. Plus, Bloodborne has a notoriously balls-out difficult first quarter. I went into it a seasoned Souls pro and still had plenty of rage moments. Bloodborne was a great game, but its difficulty curve was total poo poo.

Whatever the case, Sekiro is probably going to be the least Souls-like game Fromsoftware have made since uh... whatever the last Armored Core game they made before Demon's Souls.

enojy fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Mar 19, 2019

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

WoodrowSkillson posted:

soulsbourne bosses are extremely subjective. everyone struggles with different ones. I love a lot of DS3's boss fights actually, and i actually enjoy the game nearly as much as BB because i'm a late fan of the series, i came in with bb after giving up on DS1 after like 2 hours. I don't have t he "if the same story" problem with DS3 as i never finished DS1 until the remaster. I thought bosses like the Dancer, the 2nd Iudex, dragonslayer armor, and pontiff were fun as gently caress. It also took me till my current NG+ run to solo kill martyr logarius so go figure what is "easily solo'ed " vs not

martyr logarius is the boss in all of these games that took me the most tries. kept making attempts late into the night until it finally clicked and i steamrolled him. one of the cooler aspects of these games to me is that some boss will be seemingly impossible to beat until you have a successful attempt where you do the fight nearly flawlessly.

ebrietas is considered one of the harder bosses and she took me maybe three tries. the bosses are weird like that.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Mar 19, 2019

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

enojy posted:

The only Soulsborne DNA I see in it (from what I've seen) are largely UI elements.

Really, that's all? I see a lot more than that. It looks to be slightly more different than Souls games than Bloodbourne was, but the pedigree is pretty clearly there.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Schneider Inside Her posted:

Bloodborne did that to almost everyone, it wasn't easy adjusting to the speed of the game, the lack of any real shield options, and the blood regain mechanic. For instance, Cleric Beast was basically designed to be a tutorial for the Regain system because as soon as you stop trying to dance around him all the time and just start swinging away, he goes down fairly easily. But if you weren't absorbing that then he could be a pretty rage inducing boss, especially for the first boss of the game. Ditto Father G, except with the gun parry. He's a very tough boss for early game, IF you aren't trying to learn how to parry, which a lot of people didn't/don't.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Look Sir Droids posted:

Really, that's all? I see a lot more than that. It looks to be slightly more different than Souls games than Bloodbourne was, but the pedigree is pretty clearly there.

Well, I've been keeping myself pretty in the dark, but I only notice abstract similarities, such as the third person view, death/resurrection mechanics, rumors of an interconnected world, "bonfires" and such. I get the feeling the moment-to-moment gameplay is going to feel quite different, with all the ziplining around, constant ebb and flow of music, and implied emphasis on stealth/eavesdropping/assassinations. Still the trappings of a Fromsoftware ARPG, but refreshing enough to not feel like just another Soulsborne game. Bloodborne felt like a Souls game with a coat of gothic Victorian paint to me, while this looks like something wholly different.

At least, those are my hopes. Worst case scenario, to me, is a Nioh rehash made by Fromsoftware, and I'd still love the poo poo out of that.

enojy fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Mar 19, 2019

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I didn't have any particular problems with Bloodborne's early game.

I did proceed to die to all the easy bosses afterwards for no goddamn reason though

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

enojy posted:

Well, I've been keeping myself pretty in the dark, but I only notice abstract similarities, such as the third person view, death/resurrection mechanics, rumors of an interconnected world, "bonfires" and such. I get the feeling the moment-to-moment gameplay is going to feel quite different, with all the ziplining around, constant ebb and flow of music, and implied emphasis on stealth/eavesdropping/assassinations. Still the trappings of a Fromsoftware ARPG, but refreshing enough to not feel like just another Soulsborne game. Bloodborne felt like a Souls game with a coat of gothic Victorian paint to me, while this looks like something wholly different.

At least, those are my hopes. Worst case scenario, to me, is a Nioh rehash made by Fromsoftware, and I'd still love the poo poo out of that.

I haven't dug super deep. I stopped clicking news/YouTube links posted here weeks ago. But everything I've seen looks like we're losing RPG stats and souls as a currency (but getting another type of currency) and gaining verticality and stealth. Good trades imo, but I still expect R1 swings your sword and L1 is how you use your arm gadgets. Like it'll play like an evolved Souls game. I'll know I'm playing a From game.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Cowcaster posted:

somewhat related, i will say that the jumping off rooftops onto unsuspecting mooks and ramming a pointy bit of metal through them as you land in sekiro looks very assassin's creed but as someone who likes the assassin's creed games that's a good point to me. i wonder how people expecting a souls game and who hate the assassin's creed games will feel about it though.

As a huge AC fanboy I’ve noticed similarities too. I’m way too excited for 12:00 am Friday :aaaaa:

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
I'm worried this game might have minor flaws which would make it utter garbage and not worth a spending a single penny. If this game isn't perfect in every way and be exactly like the soulsborne games, From will have effectively stab their fans in the back.

When the last time a game had so many nerds having anxiety attacks about a kickass ninja assassin action game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Soulsborne games aren't perfect - they have zzz rpg stats and levelups and junk. But this game - this one will be perfect.