Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Archonex posted:

Speaking of difficulty, I am at a legitimate loss as to how to deal with this bandit camp that's set up and harassing my peasants.

We're talking, like 30 forest bandits (all with bows and arrows!) and it auto selects like 7 at most of the worst suited people to the task.

I'ma about to say gently caress it and enable cheats. Its the first battle i've savescummed in because it's simply that bullshit.

if its like 30 high level people i would honestly just say gently caress it and cheat, but if you dont want to do that hideouts dont replenish troops. so you can just go in, kill a few dudes then retreat from the tab menu with no downside other than waiting 24 hours to attack again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Is the soft counter to horse archers just pinning em in place with your skirmish cav and your archers gunning em down?

I generally go in personally to disrupt em and my Malmukes and knights can catch up and give my archer lines an opportunity to engage.

Also, modding question ... is the amount of health per unit even moddable anymore? Or is it a uniform 100 across the board

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Apr 5, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They have poor accuracy as a rule, so I would probably suggest just letting them shoot themselves out on your shielded troops. Form a circle around your archers if you can, or use a smaller number of horses to distract them as they are even worse at hitting moving targets.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
The good thing is that the AI doesn't care about troop composition and they get their rear end kicked regularly so their parties are almost always like 50% raw recruits, 25% tier 2 trash, and a handful of decent soldiers so even when fighting the Khuzaits you don't have to worry about ever facing the veteran all-horse archer armies that players will field.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Gobblecoque posted:

The good thing is that the AI doesn't care about troop composition and they get their rear end kicked regularly so their parties are almost always like 50% raw recruits, 25% tier 2 trash, and a handful of decent soldiers so even when fighting the Khuzaits you don't have to worry about ever facing the veteran all-horse archer armies that players will field.

the downside is of course when you go up against a country that got lucky with its previous wars and still has a big chunk of their elite units from when the game starts so ur stuck in an army thats mostly trash vs an army thats also mostly trash but has like 50 cataphracts causing havoc

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Horse archers are really bad on the rough maps where they get caught up on geometry or the AI can plonk down its infantry in a dip, but yeah it's very powerful when the map is open enough for them.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I'll catch you and your drat entourage alone one of these days Garios!!!

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Gobblecoque posted:

This is probably more because the auto calculate system is heavily weighted towards incurring casualties for both sides regardless of how powerful one side is compared to another and less because they don't care about troop composition. The end result of that is that npc armies will always have more recruits than they do standard or elite warriors since the auto calc has no mercy when it comes to choosing who dies and is overly murderous in situations it shouldn't be.

I don't even think it factors in whether archers should be safer given that they're backlines infantry since i've noticed archers get hosed up even when fighting looters or bandits at a 72 versus 9 rate. By no means should seven looters be KOing a few archers unless the rest of the army just stood around them as they slowly stoned the poor bastards into unconciousness.

Edit: I really want to see a post game mod. With the rebellion system and the steamrolling taking place it's be great if the game had somethijng like in Starsector's Nexelerin mod where factions can "re-emerge" after a fairly decent amount of time with a huge army to retake an area or two and restart the wars. Just the equivalent of an infinite play mod. With the way there's a steamrolling effect and the slowness of the leveling system I don't see it being that easy to get that far into many of the game's features. Hell, the main quest to form your own kingdom is so tedious a good chunk of the map could be conquered while you're chasing down lords.

It's not like there isn't narrative precedence for it too. The entire idea behind the rebellions in the first game was a former king or leader coming out of hiding to kick rear end and take the country back from _____. The same idea could just be applied on a more general scale to justify why these guys have an army coming out of nowhere to siege not-Praven or whatever.

Also, they should take a page out of Prophecy of Pendor and have all these minor factions be joinable since they're basically knightly orders, mercenaries, secret police, or just straight up peasants that said "Yeah gently caress this lovely life these assholes want us to die toiling in. Let's go live in the forest.". I mean, they've literally got a Praetorian Guard expy hidden in the game. How loving cool would it be to be the guy that determines if the guy that owns the entire map gets to live or die? :v:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Apr 5, 2020

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Archonex posted:

Speaking of difficulty, I am at a legitimate loss as to how to deal with this bandit camp that's set up and harassing my peasants.

We're talking, like 30 forest bandits (all with bows and arrows!) and it auto selects like 7 at most of the worst suited people to the task.

I'ma about to say gently caress it and enable cheats. Its the first battle i've savescummed in because it's simply that bullshit.

The solution for this is that a nearby city has a quest to kill X bands of forest bandits. Take the quest, and the bands will scatter from the hideout.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

An all-infantry group of AI parked itself in the middle of a river to defend against my mostly-horse army. Pretty clever.

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

Bold Robot posted:

An all-infantry group of AI parked itself in the middle of a river to defend against my mostly-horse army. Pretty clever.

In that same vein, I find it cool that enemy archer-heavy armies will run into the woods on battlefields to hinder cavalry.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
I saw this on reddit, custom banners are a thing apaprently but I haven't tried yet myself

https://bannerlord.party/banner/

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

They need to fix being a mercenary so your contract actually has a fixed (but extendable) length so I can just play a roaming mercenary band like I want to. :argh:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Just did a family feud quest. They attacked me at the negotiation, I killed the guards and my ward is safe and still considered my companion, and the guy who attacked me immediately asked me to solve a problem for him. No sign that the quest is resolved, though. Do i need to wait out the timer?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Generation Internet posted:

I saw this on reddit, custom banners are a thing apaprently but I haven't tried yet myself

It works!

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES

goatse banners incoming

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Hell yeah... the assets aren't there to actually recreate my old SCA heraldry, but I can come sort of kind of recognizably close! This is cool. It doesn't scale well to the icon on the world map very well so I'll have to narrow it even more than this to really work right.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

wonder if its possible to add in new shapes so i can give clan atreides its proper heraldry

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Agean90 posted:

wonder if its possible to add in new shapes so i can give clan atreides its proper heraldry

Right on that page where you make the banners:
Note that pasting with Ctrl+V will crash your game if you paste something that isn't a valid banner code

So looks like you are limited to the graphic assets that are available in the game banner editor, but you can flip them, resize them and combine them however you want.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

and how:

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Galaga Galaxian posted:

They need to fix being a mercenary so your contract actually has a fixed (but extendable) length so I can just play a roaming mercenary band like I want to. :argh:

YES! Also, other factions should be able to send you counter offers if you want to rogue it up a bit more.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

DrBox posted:

YES! Also, other factions should be able to send you counter offers if you want to rogue it up a bit more.

I want to be able to launch sneak attacks on cities. Like if your roguery is high enough and/or the owners trust you enough you can just move your whole army in then start a giant hellbrawl in the streets to take it over without a siege.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Game would be better if training wasn't so grindy. Right now I can't get troops good enough to take on other lords (49 party cap) and if I do pick my battles and fight one, I lose 10-15 guys and have to grind up another batch of recruits on looters.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Just did an experiment. Shield infantry set to circle with archers set to block in the center of the infantry circle worked exceedingly well. Many archers have effective secondary weapons so when the odd lancer comes running they get skewered.

I ran around with a small corps of mounted cav a fair distance away to pick off straggling enemy cav post charge or mounted archers circling about

Edit: All set to realistic

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

What's the secret to getting borrowed troops trained in time for the village quest? It timed out with one to go after obsessively hunting looters and auto battling. Would a smaller party guarantee they get more xp?

auto-battle large groups of enemies. It massively increases the XP across the board. This also won't matter, as you often can't actually take them back and turn in the quest, and oftentimes the game will just stop counting their progress altogether (so you get stuck at like 3/10 when all 10 have been trained).

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

TheAnomaly posted:

auto-battle large groups of enemies. It massively increases the XP across the board. This also won't matter, as you often can't actually take them back and turn in the quest, and oftentimes the game will just stop counting their progress altogether (so you get stuck at like 3/10 when all 10 have been trained).

Ended up ditching my entire party into a garrison except my companions and the borrowed troops, they all leveled up lightning fast by auto battling looters. When they all finished, I got a pop up to send them all back right away and complete the quest.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

I finished a campaign, sort of:

I went it alone with my own imperial faction, seizing an isolated castle that Khuzait had taken from the northern empire so I could finish the kingdom quest and get access to the kingdom screen, then I started executing Khurzaits because they kept escaping from my dungeons. Later after killing probably 2/3rds of their leaders I realized that as a faction leader I could straight up ask people to join me, so I started doing that instead. The remaining Khurzaits hated my guts because for most of them I'd executed multiple family and friends but I still convinced a couple of them to become my my vassals even though my Honour was "Devious", probably from executing people, and I only had 20 charm. I had a huge pile of renown at this point though, so maybe that has an impact, but probably the conversation and barter mechanic just isn't close to properly balanced/implemented yet. Also, I'm playing on the middle difficulty, which is called 'easy', so maybe it really is supposed to be easy

At this point Vlandia declared war on me and had expanded across most of the map (I started the campaign a few patches ago, before the anti-snowball stuff) so I paid whats left of Khurzait 15k gold to make peace. Vlandia doomstacks began sieging multiple castles and cities but I convinced some of their nobles to defect and one of them gave me half of Vlandia. I also convinced more random nobles from other nations to defect to me so I at this point I became the snowball. Eventually I took a settlement that I think gets me to the 2/3rd Imperial culture settlements I needed to win but if I try to assign it to a clan in the Election screen the game crashes. Close enough :toot:

I'll probably try a Realistic campaign as a vassal to see if the diplo stuff in that feels much different. 5 star early access game though, even if it did take a decade

Flavahbeast fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Apr 5, 2020

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Also, fians are death gods. I want to get Leader 125 in my next game so I can turn forest bandits into fians. The super units for the other factions all seem to be cavalry but a AI horseman with 280 riding and polearm isn't going to rack up the kills like a 280 archer aimbotting it up. Here's a battle where the AI sallied forth from a besieged city to try and finish off my few remaining troops after I nearly got wiped out by a Vlandia doomstack:

(I have no kills because I was at 20% health and archer AI gets real dumb if the player dies)

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
loving love me a battanian khergit battle on mutliplayer because its going to be a massacre and its a coin flip as to which side it'll be

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Also the trick with horse bowmen is they're actually acceptable bowmen just on horseback so if you're not liking your mobility... just fuckin' park. Just find a good vantage, park your bows and flick sticks.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

:allears:

Round shield is perfect.

code:
17.1.51.1836.1836.768.788.1.0.-30.342.60.116.394.395.442.776.1.1.-91.342.60.116.394.395.1102.776.1.0.91.500.143.116.422.441.772.794.1.0.0

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Apr 5, 2020

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

BeAuMaN posted:

Round shield is perfect.

[code]17.1.51.1836.1836.768.788.1.0.-30.342.60.116.394.395.442.776.1.1.-91.342.60.116.394.395.1102.776.1.0.91.500.143.116.422.441.772.794.1.0.0[code]

The internet is a magical place.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

BeAuMaN posted:

Round shield is perfect.

[code]17.1.51.1836.1836.768.788.1.0.-30.342.60.116.394.395.442.776.1.1.-91.342.60.116.394.395.1102.776.1.0.91.500.143.116.422.441.772.794.1.0.0[code]

You call yourself a goon? WHAT ABOUT THE RING?!

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I added that pack mod but turned the difficulty up and it's kind of a nice change.

I never played the first game of this and was on the fence about buying this one because I misunderstood and thought it was a FPS thing like Mordhau, but if anyone else is reading this and wondering if they should get the game, jump on it for sure. The combat is kind of janky but is really satisfying and fun. If the game was just riding around spearing raiders and winning tournaments I'd play it, never mind the huge sieges and stuff. It really is fun as gently caress

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Motherfucker posted:

Also the trick with horse bowmen is they're actually acceptable bowmen just on horseback so if you're not liking your mobility... just fuckin' park. Just find a good vantage, park your bows and flick sticks.

Yes, if you're using them and you aren't being pressured by cavalry, it's a good idea to literally treat them like highly mobile archers, position them somewhere and have them stay there. Use them like dragoons, basically.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

You call yourself a goon? WHAT ABOUT THE RING?!
Good point actually. Honestly I just woke up and I'm super tired, but here you go. Forgot to make the thumbs go the correct direction anyway. :parrot:

code:
17.1.51.1836.1836.768.788.1.0.-30.500.143.116.422.441.772.794.1.0.0.342.60.116.394.395.1090.816.1.1.90.342.60.116.394.395.452.818.1.0.270.510.143.116.40.76.528.772.1.0.-90
Edit: I guess you can also control what images are on top by dragging the image up and down the the image thing on the left. Last fix. Need food.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Apr 5, 2020

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
What is the effect of the various character traits on companions etc? Generous, cruel, devious, etc?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

i wonder what determines the size of looter groups

i been seeing ones that are 20-30 people strong, even saw one with 60 people

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Looters can't ransom prisoners in town, so captured peasants and soldiers are indoctrinated just like in the player's army: eventually they throw off the trappings of civilization and learn to love loot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Flavahbeast posted:

Looters can't ransom prisoners in town, so captured peasants and soldiers are indoctrinated just like in the player's army: eventually they throw off the trappings of civilization and learn to love loot

More like they throw off their shirt and start wearing a potato sack around their legs.