Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Slung Blade posted:

May long weekend in Alberta, JFC.

All it needs is a neon sign in the space above the garage doors that says The Mayor's House.

ed: also this is like real life Animal Crossing. New resident gets to be mayor and builds up awesome place? Just stick some fruit trees and random pit traps everywhere now. :lol:

Parts Kit fucked around with this message at 15:32 on May 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Parts Kit posted:

ed: also this is like real life Animal Crossing. New resident gets to be mayor and builds up awesome place? Just stick some fruit trees and random pit traps everywhere now. :lol:

As long as I can be Gracie I'm set. She has a pretty boss car.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

dreesemonkey posted:

Thanks, I think I'm somewhat jaded by watching people's builds on garage journal, and I didn't take the foundation/stick build into consideration. You're right, you could have saved a lot of money by doing a pole building if your climate allowed it.

Climate does allow it, lots of my neighbours have polebarn shops. Mine was more of a choice and also circumstance. Also I think it will be good for winching things around the shop if I have to, I can drill anchor bolts in the foundation walls to secure eyelets to it.

Sider's aren't quite done (one of their boxes got crushed on the ends, it's held them up a couple days) so the back side is only about 3/4s finished, and the inspector never showed today to make sure the gas line and framing is safe. That means no ceiling insulation yet.

But, I did manage to turn on the lights when it got dark enough to make sure the exterior lighting is functional. We have to use light detectors on the exterior lighting here to save power, it's part of the building code, so I had to wait until it was dark enough to turn on but still light enough that I could photograph it.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Why did you decided to go with two doors instead of one wide door? I never see two single doors on garages where I am.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Crotch Fruit posted:

Why did you decided to go with two doors instead of one wide door? I never see two single doors on garages where I am.

Allow me to quote myself from the Alberta AI thread.

Slung Blade posted:

Two 10's with a decent gap between them get me a little more breathing room between vehicles opposed to a single 20':

Just means I don't have to jog anything over to the sides when pulling in, or turn it at weird angles. Gives me more room for lift pillars and poo poo between the cars.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Doors on both sides!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Just rig all four walls so they can swing up out of the way. Support the entire structure with a pillar in each corner.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Thought it was going to hail on me last night, so I parked old blue inside, first thing I've put in here. Paint is kinda hosed up but the sheet metals is still nearly mint (except for the bumper I lunched on my tent trailer) so I want to keep the hail dents out of it.

Unf, look at all that space ahead.

Also the eaves trough and downspouts got installed, along with the last of the siding. Just some finishing electrical work and grading / gravel to tackle next.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Weed farm. Eaves. Rain Barrel.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Wow, that puts the size into perspective. That's a great space you got there. Maybe you should consider building a mezzanine at some point to get some out of the way storage up high? Looks like you should have the room for it.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

:) Ohh, roomy.

:stonk: My god...

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

So the garage is basically finished. There's some gravel things that need to be handled, but it has been graded a bit, and some finalization on the interior 220v plugs, but nothing major. So, I'm calling this phase complete and moving some poo poo into this barn.

Wait gently caress something is following me home. :stare:

Never mind that for now, check out these sweet spare parts bins! Hell yeah can tire specials!

And this rad as gently caress broom and squeegee!

White truck's parked inside for the first time since I have owned it. Poor thing.

It's a much longer truck than the ford. Still a fair bit of room behind it at least.

Oh right this thing.

I guess I bought a used tool box?

I can't decide if it's the coolest thing I own or the weirdest. It is most certainly not a mac tool chest - those are just stickers, but the guy who sold it to me was an out of work millwright (his name is still on the door) and he built the frame and I think the entire standing locker part. It's not perfect, but it locks and seems skookum enough for my purposes. I was glad I could buy some things from a laid off guy and help out with a little cash.

I also bought a headache rack for the chev so I can get some parts for my next couple projects. I've been meaning to build a piperack for years but it's never happened, mostly because I only need it once in a while and I don't want it on the truck all the time, so this weighs like 15 kilos tops and can bolt and unbolt in about 20 minutes, score. poo poo's getting serious now.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

That tribal flame.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

So one (of many) reasons that I had the shop built was because my existing garage is completely jam packed with stuff and projects.

I want to work on the coronet but it's such a good shelf for other projects it's hard to do that.

Tools and equipment line the walls.

So let's move some of this poo poo.

This is SSSwitch's turbo honda engine. It was blocking access to my deepfreeze for 3-4 months. MOVED

Bunch of tools, hydraulic shop press, welders. MOVED (let me tell you how fun moving a 100 kilo welder across a soft gravel driveway with just little casters for wheels is)

Misc other poo poo. MOVED

SSSwitch also bought a HUGE nitrous system today, which I am also storing.

Bought a bigass floor fan for the summer.

Holy poo poo I can walk in here again! Hallelujah!

And when my neighbours helped me unload that toolbox yesterday, and got their first look at the garage since completion, we christened this the empty beercan shelf. I need a little fridge.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Hahahahha @ moving heavy equipment on casters across soft ground. I know that pain well. :negative:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Got any scrap plywood? You could use it to make a temporary walkway for pushing things along.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

dreesemonkey posted:

Wow, that puts the size into perspective. That's a great space you got there. Maybe you should consider building a mezzanine at some point to get some out of the way storage up high? Looks like you should have the room for it.

I keep forgetting to reply to your question my apologies. Wasn't planning a mezzanine, but I do want some heavy wall shelves for tires and such.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Got any scrap plywood? You could use it to make a temporary walkway for pushing things along.

Yeah, but it's only 40cm across, I did that for the worst of it on the new gravel.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Or just drill a pair of hole and drag it like a sled.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Incorrect. Proper method for moving large objects is as follows:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wVADKznOhY

Do you hate any of your neighbors?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Nah, me and the neighbours are cool.

Friend and fellow transmountain rally driver Seat Safety Switch came over today and we did some work on the project Celica. First was to drain the last of the gear oil and refill the transmission with sweet sweet redline oil. I adjusted the e-brake on the one janky side, and we dropped it on the ground and took it for a spin up the highway. All seemed fine so we moved it into the new garage, the ford acted as pack mule again and we moved a couple hundred pounds of tools and gear. Sure is nice having room to work around this car now. Once moved, we started preparations for a timing belt job, which is good considering the belt was last changed 130000 kilometers ago and SIXTEEN YEARS IN THE PAST.

Garage is full of poo poo, time to build another one.

I've taken tomorrow off of work, the two post lift is getting installed and I want to assist the guy bringing it over.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I don't care how big your shop is, you will fill it from one end to another. :p

I went from an 8'x10' shed, to a 40'x60' commercial metal building, and within 2 years there was barely a walking path through. Enjoy it though, there's nothing that compares to being able to just finish for the day and shut the door without having to gather up all your tools.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Junk is a gas that expands to fill all available space.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
If you're feeling froggy, now is the time to rein in your impulses and plan out your space. Tape off areas you want as walkways, shadow box where tools go, designate where things will go. It'll be a lot easier now than after your stuff fills it. You can always pull the tape up and rearrange, but the discipline of doing it now will save you headaches in the future.

(I'm sure you know this, but if you're like me you need an extra push. And then there's the temptation to just get everything in and be done with it)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

DarkHorse posted:

If you're feeling froggy, now is the time to rein in your impulses and plan out your space. Tape off areas you want as walkways, shadow box where tools go, designate where things will go. It'll be a lot easier now than after your stuff fills it. You can always pull the tape up and rearrange, but the discipline of doing it now will save you headaches in the future.

(I'm sure you know this, but if you're like me you need an extra push. And then there's the temptation to just get everything in and be done with it)

This is a good point. I'm in the middle of redesigning my own garage layout at the moment and it is so much harder with a driveway full of hoopties and a garage full of poo poo to move to do it.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

DarkHorse posted:

It's far too late for that, I'm like three steps away from diagramming floor layouts on the walls with my own blood.

TODAY ON SLUNG BLADE'S INANE BULLSHIT HOUR REVIEW:

Took a day off, did a little shopping. I bought a used metal cabinet for paints and solvents and poo poo.

A little chest of drawers to eventually plop a fridge onto, hopefully.

I went to a caster store to buy replacements for the these ones off of the aircraft snack cart :barf: :barf: :barf:

Fixed said cart.

Bought a used steel whiteboard that still has probably proprietary information on it. I know Nabors' drilling is still a going concern (one of their lead guys is named Derrick! for real!) I used to sell/deliver parts to them many a year ago.

Oh and I guess I had a team of guys over to install something.

I helped a little!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

mother of god

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Ugh I want a lift so bad but my garage has a loving basement.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Jealous Cow posted:

Ugh I want a lift so bad but my garage has a loving basement.

That's cool, then you can just make a hole in the floor and you have a pit.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

His Divine Shadow posted:

That's cool, then you can just make a hole in the floor and you have a pit.

Yeah exactly. Build some supports and chisel that bitch out. Put in a baller rolling safety floor while you're at it.

Car hit a big milekilometerstone today.

And I did the wiring for the lift, it even works and didn't kill me, hooray!

Just need a garden hose reel or something for the extra cable. Tidy that crap up.

E: day I got the car, 2011, December 16th

Slung Blade fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jun 1, 2016

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
The floor has radiant hot water heat fed by the boiler in the house, piped across the property underground to the garage (technically carriage house), built in motherfucking 1914, so I don't think I'm going to rip the floor open.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Jealous Cow posted:

The floor has radiant hot water heat fed by the boiler in the house, piped across the property underground to the garage (technically carriage house), built in motherfucking 1914, so I don't think I'm going to rip the floor open.

well cow, I'm jealous. :catbert:

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

SneakyFrog posted:

well cow, I'm jealous. :catbert:

Yeah, uh... can I move into your carriage house, cow?

I'll trade! You can have my 1920's-built two car "garage" with a questionably-intact gas line running to it (it's buried, was disconnected before we bought the house and we've never tested it. Could be fine! You could install gas lamps again!). It has a nice solid concrete floor though so you can put a lift in! The walls are a bit wonky, though.

Edit: Slung, that garage looks more awesome by the day. Maybe it'll even help you finish up some of those projects in the other garage some day!

Faerunner fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jun 1, 2016

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Faerunner posted:

Edit: Slung, that garage looks more awesome by the day. Maybe it'll even help you finish up some of those projects in the other garage some day!

Thanks, I'm slowly chipping away at stuff. (Un)fortunately(?) it's also introduced the need for about 10 more things I need to build for myself in the new garage.

Did some work today, including a little blacksmithing, but I will get to that.

First up, the concrete is probably cured enough now, so I torqued all 12 anchor bolts to 150 foot pounds.

Need to test the lift before I trust it with a heavy vehicle, so let's do some work on the lawn mower. I have been having a bitch of a time mowing my lawn lately because the steering on this piece of poo poo mower (which I thought was pretty ok when I bought it but is just mass market garbage like all the other ones out there) is really dicky. It does NOT like to turn anymore.

That is some crazy pigeon toed poo poo right there.

Obviously no good way to get the arms under the 'chassis', such as it is, so why not use some tie-down straps. gently caress the police.

I thought it was the steering gear, the internet tells me that's a pretty common failure point on cub cadets, the little gear wears out or the bushing that retains the gears eat themselves because of cheap rear end metal. I check the steering gear and the teeth are all fine, bushings seem fine. Turns out this spindle was loving SEIZED. I had to use my 4' pry bar to get the bitch out, and a ton of penetrating fluid.

So my best guess is, when this thing started sticking really bad, I must have had one side or the other at full extension and hit a bump, which bent the tie rod quite a bit. The little tie rod end balljoints are pretty hinky as well, their dust boots are lovely and are useless, and they're ungreasable units. Awesome.

:barf:

Why did this happen? you ask. Well, the grease fitting is garbage. Man this doesn't look right, what happened to the thread? Did some pituitary retard at the cub cadet factory strip it when he was installing it?

HAH, NOPE! they hammered a threaded grease fitting into an untapped hole.

So, I tapped it and will try to find a replacement grease fitting here soon. I cleaned out the chips and all the rust from the spindle tube as well.

I greased it all by hand, put the spindle back in, and gave the tractor an alignment. I can actually steer it again, so that's awesome, good thing because I need to mow tomorrow.

Time for a beer from the new little fridge I bought on friday. Turns out my filing cabinet is undersized for the fridge. I will either build/buy a table to support the fridge above the drawers or get something else.

As for the blacksmithing I did earlier, I made some really lovely brackets for a cheap-rear end shelf.

Perfect they are not. gently caress. I was going to countersink those screwholes, but I kinda forgot you can't do that once there's something in the way, so, welp. I'll get some flat screws to replace these someday (lol no I won't).

Light levels look good. Added bonus, the lights attract all the bugs up to them while I'm inside, they actually leave me alone because they're so far above me!

Also I made another attempt at a ring, hooked the tig up and a new rotary tool to clean it up. The weld is not good either (but at least I didn't vaporize it again), and I can fix it, but I want to test it to see if the metal I got is skin safe and won't rust overnight this time before I spend a lot of time fixing it up all pretty.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Faerunner posted:

Yeah, uh... can I move into your carriage house, cow?

I'll trade! You can have my 1920's-built two car "garage" with a questionably-intact gas line running to it (it's buried, was disconnected before we bought the house and we've never tested it. Could be fine! You could install gas lamps again!). It has a nice solid concrete floor though so you can put a lift in! The walls are a bit wonky, though.

Unfortunately (fortunately?) the hot water system was ripped out and replaced with a modern HVAC so the fancy garage is more of a curiosity that needs a new slab and French drain to stop the flooding downstairs.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Slung Blade posted:

HAH, NOPE! they hammered a threaded grease fitting into an untapped hole.
Annoyingly, that's how they build residential grade mowers now. I had the same issue with my husquvarna, and the dealer told me to back up the fingers on my grease gun so it doesn't grip the fitting so tightly.

Common complaint, apparently.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Slung Blade posted:

Perfect they are not. gently caress. I was going to countersink those screwholes, but I kinda forgot you can't do that once there's something in the way, so, welp. I'll get some flat screws to replace these someday (lol no I won't).

You need to accept the love that is Milwaukee into your life.
http://amzn.com/B002SQK996
That drat thing has saved my rear end a ridiculous number of times.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Slung Blade posted:

The little tie rod end balljoints are pretty hinky as well, their dust boots are lovely and are useless, and they're ungreasable units. Awesome.

On the upside, those particular ball joints are used on a metric poo poo ton of residential mowers, and I replaced a pair of them on my father in law's Cub Cadet for under $15.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Hmm, that 90' drill looks pretty decent. Might have to get one of those. I do have a few milwaukee tools, and I have been very satisfied with them, but I have not taken the plunge into investing in a power tools battery family yet.

Yeah my BIL works at a service place for contractor machines, I might get him to order me some parts for this garbage heap.

So today I did a bit of work on the Rally Car. Mm, that workspace.

I also put together the network system so I can have wifi in the garage, I did get the cat5 cable in the conduit afterall. This the primary reason I wanted the shelf. I needed the internet to tell me how to do the timing belt.

Around 6pm I decided now was a good time to move the trailer to its' new pad, and mow the loving lawn. Man that mower steered better, I could actually maneuver again.

Had to mow today, supposed to rain/thunder tomorrow after work, and it really needed to be done. Maybe I can get more time to work on the car tomorrow now.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

The rally hooptie has received a new timing belt, water pump, oil pump gasket, and a severe seafoaming and road thrashing.

So that means it's time for an oil change. What better excuse to use the lift?

Mmm, delicious.

Also last week I went camping with my folks and my sister out in the Okanagen.

We had a pretty sweet view.

Tiny Terry performed admirably.

I set up my hammock for fun.

Had a nice night view of Peachland.

Stopped at Canyon hot springs on the way home (it's a long drive)

The campground is no great shakes, but the setting is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Accent needs an oil change, first one I've done myself since it just went out of warranty. Celica fits underneath nicely.

Huh, undertray is busted. I thought the dealership was going to ziptie stitch this...

All done, time to tidy the garage.

Better.

Fabrication corner needs some serious work.

Set up that cabinet. Not sure if this is going to be the final spot, but good enough for now.