Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

We generally use NetOp for remote control, but also have Dameware available.

Neither is amazing, but I do like Dameware's ability to remote install itself and just requires your domain account to have some appropriate access.

Neither works without the target being on the internal network, which can be a problem when you're trying to help someone get their VPN working. Supposedly NetOp can do that, but we don't have any configuration for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Dameware is quite good but IIRC it's become super bloated in terms of package and pricing after Solarwinds bought it. If you buy it, though, it does come with Solarwinds' support.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

What's wrong with Lync screen sharing or Microsoft Remote Assistance, both of which you're probably already paying for? The only issue I've seen with Lync is anything that requires a UAC prompt, but an admin pssession off to the side can generally do anything that requires elevation on the remote machine.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

What's wrong with Lync screen sharing or Microsoft Remote Assistance, both of which you're probably already paying for? The only issue I've seen with Lync is anything that requires a UAC prompt, but an admin pssession off to the side can generally do anything that requires elevation on the remote machine.

We don't have Lync and we'd like to be able to connect to people inside the network from outside (let's say an admin is at home) or connect to people outside the network, from inside (admin at the office, laptop user is wherever the gently caress)

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Bob Morales posted:

We don't have Lync and we'd like to be able to connect to people inside the network from outside (let's say an admin is at home) or connect to people outside the network, from inside (admin at the office, laptop user is wherever the gently caress)

Use what every small trading firm uses, AOL Instant Messenger. :suicide:

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

At my wife's last company you got an AIM account with the company's initials followed by your name, and had to relinquish it during outprocessing. High tech.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
All about that Slack

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

In addition to some people wanting it to work off network, I've also found that TeamViewer seems to perform much more reliably and quicker than Lync screenshare and remote assistance.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

When dealing with this problem was part of my job, our remote users' laptops were joined to the domain, so they would VPN in and we would use msra. This generally wasn't necessary, though, because we generally solved every problem with enter-pssession or group policy. The only user contact was "Hi, I got your ticket about _______, I'm about to do _______ to solve the problem. You may want to save and close everything/reboot afterwards/whatever else".

I think if you work in a windows environment, you should probably be doing everything you can to get powershell remoting enabled domain wide as soon as possible, and also upgrading to win 8.1+ and Server 2012 R2 as soon as possible.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

:)

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Are you related to the guy on NPR?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Not that I know of.

Immediately after setting up my new 2012 DC I of course broke all networking for it for about 15 minutes because I fiddled with the vm net settings.

Woops.

DC uptime ratio: 50%

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I was just looking at my LinkedIn profile and noticed in the sidebar that it says "People similar to Dick Trauma"... and it shows Tony! :gonk:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

So how does AWS/Ansible/Docker/Node/React/Python/Django sound for a reasonable technology stack to learn if I plan on moving to the pacific northwest in a roughly 2-year timeframe.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

The Fool posted:

So how does AWS/Ansible/Docker/Node/React/Python/Django sound for a reasonable technology stack to learn if I plan on moving to the pacific northwest in a roughly 2-year timeframe.

Honestly, like way more than you can learn at any productive level if you're not already fluent in at least half of them (in particular, expecting to learn two different programming languages, a DSL+templating language, and a UX DSL) is absurdly overambitious, and you're not going to be really good at any of them.

Pick half of that.

Wanna be a systems guy? Get behind AWS, Ansible (or Salt or Puppet or something), Python, and Docker (really, you want to learn a container management/orchestration system, since "Docker" can be learned in 15 minutes)

Want to be a web guy? Learn Django. Or, honestly, just learn Javascript (because you should), jquery (same), and node (same), which has a lot of cross-applying. Then keep up on Ember/Angular/React/newhype.js for the next few years.

But the skills sought after in Seattle are pretty different from those in Portland, which are different from Eugene or Spokane or Vancouver. Gonna be a little more specific? And why the NW? And why do you think the NW is some mecca of enlightened, tech-forward people?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

evol262 posted:

But the skills sought after in Seattle are pretty different from those in Portland, which are different from Eugene or Spokane or Vancouver. Gonna be a little more specific? And why the NW? And why do you think the NW is some mecca of enlightened, tech-forward people?

I can understand if there's family or something like that. But I agree, unless you find living anywhere else unpalatable, don't limit your prospects unnecessarily. Especially if you're still establishing yourself.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

The oil and gas industry uses AIM and Yahoo messenger depending on what product they're trading. I imagine that is the only reason they are still around.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

For what it's worth, when I crawl through LinkedIn/Craigslist those subjects are by far the most popular.

evol262 posted:

And why the NW? And why do you think the NW is some mecca of enlightened, tech-forward people?

Why do you think that he thinks the NW is a mecca of the above? For the record, I find the scenery and climate appealing.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

evol262 posted:

Honestly, like way more than you can learn at any productive level if you're not already fluent in at least half of them (in particular, expecting to learn two different programming languages, a DSL+templating language, and a UX DSL) is absurdly overambitious, and you're not going to be really good at any of them.

Pick half of that.

That was what I was thinking, too. No one job needs all of those skills, except maybe "startup founder". Figure out whether you want to work on the systems side or be a developer and focus on getting really good at that. Yes, a sysadmin in TYOOL 2015 should be able to read and write code. And a dev should probably at least know what containers and config management are. But not necessarily to the point where they could do each others' jobs. As evol said, at that point you're really spreading yourself quite thin unless you're already very senior in one area and coming up to speed in the other. Going from zero to "competent Ops engineer AND competent developer", on your own time no less, is a tall order.

Having inherited a few of those environments that were built by the coder CTO who was also "good with Linux", it's inevitably a loving mess. Because they knew just enough to be dangerous. Likewise I'm sure any complex system I tried to design and write myself would be a disaster, because that's not what I'm trained in. Don't be just good enough to be dangerous. Just be good.

Tab8715 posted:

For what it's worth, when I crawl through LinkedIn/Craigslist those subjects are by far the most popular.

They're all hot topics for sure. But are you seeing many listings asking for ALL of them in one person? I hope not.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Aug 18, 2015

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Docjowles posted:

They're all hot topics for sure. But are you seeing many listings asking for ALL of them in one person? I hope not.

I'm paraphrasing but then again it's not like every recruiter\hr dept. knows what they're doing. :suicide:

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Just put devops on your LinkedIn and wait for the job offers to roll in.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

evol262 posted:

Pick half of that.

Wanna be a systems guy? Get behind AWS, Ansible (or Salt or Puppet or something), Python, and Docker (really, you want to learn a container management/orchestration system, since "Docker" can be learned in 15 minutes)

Want to be a web guy? Learn Django. Or, honestly, just learn Javascript (because you should), jquery (same), and node (same), which has a lot of cross-applying. Then keep up on Ember/Angular/React/newhype.js for the next few years.

I suppose I could have been more clear.

While I do little toy programming stuff as a hobby, and do scripting stuff occasionally at work now, I don't think I have that much interest in being a full time dev as a career.

I'm definitely more interested in the systems stuff.

The PNW is a goal largely because of climate. I currently live in Alaska, don't like the east coast or the midwest, and can't handle the warmer latitudes. Colorado would probably be OK too.

Docjowles posted:

That was what I was thinking, too. No one job needs all of those skills, except maybe "startup founder". Figure out whether you want to work on the systems side or be a developer and focus on getting really good at that. Yes, a sysadmin in TYOOL 2015 should be able to read and write code. And a dev should probably at least know what containers and config management are. But not necessarily to the point where they could do each others' jobs. As evol said, at that point you're really spreading yourself quite thin unless you're already very senior in one area and coming up to speed in the other. Going from zero to "competent Ops engineer AND competent developer", on your own time no less, is a tall order.

Having inherited a few of those environments that were built by the coder CTO who was also "good with Linux", it's inevitably a loving mess. Because they knew just enough to be dangerous. Likewise I'm sure any complex system I tried to design and write myself would be a disaster, because that's not what I'm trained in. Don't be just good enough to be dangerous. Just be good.

I would settle for competent ops engineer and competent scripter.

The Fool fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Aug 18, 2015

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Tab8715 posted:

They are, now. And it's not likely that they'll get less popular (it's entirely possible that React will, but that's the nature of the JS game).

But it leaves a bad, .com-y aftertaste. Getting good at something because you love it (or something like it) is a good sign. Trying to chase what's going to be hot is a wise career move on the surface, but what's going to be trendy in two years isn't really any of the named technologies. Which isn't a bad thing, and knowing established technologies is good. It just looks like chasing what's trendy. Keeping on top of what's happening in the industry (like most industries) requires agility and keeping a little bit of an ear to the ground. And it means that you'll invest a lot of your time into a flop at some point. But being in touch and trying to be in touch with what's going to be marketable in two years on the basis of what's popular on LinkedIn/Craigslist/Indeed/whatever right now is a losing proposition.

Too tech hipster? Maybe. But think of what was buzzy two years ago. Where is it now? Some won, some lost, some are still there (but as more established business tools), some never even congealed enough to win or lose, some ate itself and never came to a marketable consensus. But none of it other than a vague sense of :smithcloud: is "by far the most popular" on job posting sites.

Tab8715 posted:

Why do you think that he thinks the NW is a mecca of the above? For the record, I find the scenery and climate appealing.

I love the northwest, too. And it is appealing. But, like the military says: choice of location or choice of profession, not both. Eventually you can get both, it's just really hard in the beginning, especially in somewhere as trendy as the NW is right now. Like the skills listed, the NW is hot right now, and everybody wants to be there. Like Austin was two years ago. Pattern?

It's a great place to be and I can't say anything bad about it if you want to live there for a reason other than some vague idea of it being a cool place to live (and work) based on whatever buzzwords are cool on Portland's Craigslist postings right now. If you want to find a job doing interesting stuff, your options expand dramatically if you don't limit yourself to one place. You can still find places with good climate and scenery all over the place. They're all unique in their own way, but Denver (and CO in general), NorCal, and western NC/eastern TN are also cool places to live with good scenery and climate, broadly similar to the NW. And you've just expanded your potential cities/job options by 4, and 8-9 million, even if we assume Sacremento instead of SF/SJ/Oakland. That's a very good tradeoff early in your career.

The Fool posted:

While I do little toy programming stuff as a hobby, and do scripting stuff occasionally at work now, I don't think I have that much interest in being a full time dev as a career.
Honestly, I'd skip any of the web crap if this is the case. No Node, no Django, no Anything.JS.

The Fool posted:

I'm definitely more interested in the systems stuff.
Python is good. Ansible is good (but chef, puppet, and salt can be equally good -- you should try them all at least a little bit, especially because ansible doesn't have as much traction as the others yet, and ansible's strict "I run top to bottom" ordering isn't mirrored in other systems, and it's important to learn how to managed requires and installation order). Take half of what you named. AWS, Ansible, Python, containers. Run with that. It seems small. But it isnt.

And you should try to learn all the integration and engineering stuff that goes with it: jenkins/travis, test suites, ci, reproducible builds, infrastructure as code, etc. Python is a good glue language for this.

The Fool posted:

The PNW is a goal largely because of climate. I currently live in Alaska, don't like the east coast or the midwest, and can't handle the warmer latitudes. Colorado would probably be OK too.
Colorado can get pretty warm, too. As warm as Minneapolis. Not quite as warm as Chattanooga, but Chattanooga and Raleigh have pretty tolerable climates if you're willing to look at smaller towns out east.

You'll have a lot more traction with a move if you focus on being marketable first, independent of whatever region you think you want to be in.

The Fool posted:

I would settle for competent ops engineer and competent scripter.

Every competent engineer is a competent scripter, really, and the trend is continuing that way. You can't really be the first without the second, and you definitely won't be able to be in two years.

evol262 fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Aug 18, 2015

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

The Fool posted:

We use Rackspace / Puppet / Docker / Ansible / Python / Powershell in my job (in support of node.js and .net applications). But we're probably going to be switching over to Azure or AWS soon (I hope) so some of that stack will change.

The problem with spending 2 years learning this stuff on your own is that it's not in a production environment - so it almost doesn't matter. Of course it's good to know, but they're not really going to care (because spinning up a Cloud Formation stack in AWS, while cool, is not the same as supporting different dev/test/stag/prod environments). What you should be looking for is a job opening that is looking for someone who wants to learn and shows the aptitude to learn and adapt. When I started my current devops role, I never used any of that stuff except for Powershell and Python for some basic scripting and stuff inside Azure. I knew what Continuous Integration / DevOps was, and had a mind towards automating everything, and that's pretty much what got me the job. Since then, it's been a whole lot of learning, but it's totally awesome. (Case in point, SQL was not mentioned once in any interviews and just wrapped up a SQL automation stack deployment heat template / puppet module with supporting .ps1's) Another thing about learning stack A/B/C/D/E is that you might get to an interview where all they care about it V/W/X/Y/Z. Granted, in many cases A = V, B = W, etc, but it might show you are stuck in a certain stack and could work against you, as opposed to using the tools that fit in your actual deployment.

You mentioned you do some scripting stuff now, and I'd just say keep doing that and add one or two of those tools you mentioned where it would fit nice.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

One of the tech vendors from my last job sent this to me via LinkedIn: "Sure you don't want to come back? :-) I have another meeting with your replacement today and am seriously thinking about calling in sick LOL"

:cool:

mewse
May 2, 2006

mewse posted:

We have a problem right now where phones that were on the system can't be physically moved to a different site or they will get stuck on "Requesting service...". That kinda mysterious poo poo is the cherry on top of the constant reboots and instability

Follow up: the problem was that the voice switch at our head office ran out of capacity for IP phones :negative:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

evol262 posted:

Pick half of that.

I think I might have discounted this advice too much last night. I started looking into getting Ansible to control a set of AWS instances, and holy poo poo the well is deep.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

mewse posted:

Follow up: the problem was that the voice switch at our head office ran out of capacity for IP phones :negative:

I had my money on a DHCP scope issue.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Vulture Culture posted:

The MSP I interviewed at back in 2008 had employees using CRT monitors under awful fluorescent lighting. I cared so little about that job offer that I actually forgot to call the HR guy back.

We had a MSP working with us for a couple of years till we finally shook them off. These guys weren't that bad, they'd always show up with the latest doodads and tech toys, but when it came to wringing out any actual work out of them? loving lol. Sometime in 2013 without our GM noticing (She was in love with these buzzword/metric spewing idiots) I slowly started edging them out of projects and taking them over on the sly just so they would get done. At the end of the year review for costs I tossed out what they were charging, the lists of projects that they were assigned, the list of projects that they completed (A whopping none), the dates where I took over the projects and the completion dates. We finally got the ammo to throw them out.

Not to mention every single loving time they would touch something to troubleshoot it they would break it to the point where it would take me upwards of a full work day just to unfuck it.

But hey, I sure enjoyed sitting in on hour long meetings where an idiot bloviated on win8 being the wave of the future and how the cloud changes everything. I was doing virtualized and replicated managed services years before "Cloud" was even a buzzword.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

theperminator posted:

Worked in an MSP+Cheap Webhost for 8 years and nothing could make me go back.

I think that kind of job is good to start out with though, I wouldn't have gone from phone support monkey to sysadmin without it.

I had the exact same careerpath. This webhost wasn't in NC was it :ohdear:

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
Been waiting for 30 minutes for a Bomgar license to open up so I can get something done before I head home. I can't tell if this sucks or is great.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Methanar fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Aug 6, 2016

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Methanar posted:

I still don't know what happened and haven't asked.

Uh....a domain account ceasing to exist then miraculously reappearing is something you may want to look into. Computers don't run on voodoo magic contrary to evidence sometimes.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Methanar posted:

I saw that my account didn't exist. I still don't know what happened and haven't asked.

My first guess is that you've been fired.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Hi, nobody move to Portland. Denver is nice. Go there instead.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Methanar posted:

I was always temporary and my domain account was created with a premature expiration date.

When an AD account is expired, it will recognize your credentials and give you a message saying it's expired. Same thing with disabled and locked out.

Your account was deleted.

Do you have auditing set up on Account Management?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

When an AD account is expired, it will recognize your credentials and give you a message saying it's expired. Same thing with disabled and locked out.

Your account was deleted.

Do you have auditing set up on Account Management?

Basically. Active directory accounts don't vanish. It was either renamed or deleted. All of this can be figured out by checking the logs. Even with default logging it should be there.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Or you contacted an Active Directory DC that hasn't received a replication update in half a year but is still somehow receiving traffic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost