Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Someone talk me out of looking at this. Cam follower horror stories, etc... please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

If that's what you're worried about you can stay on top of it pretty easily.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

fknlo posted:

Someone talk me out of looking at this. Cam follower horror stories, etc... please.

You should buy that.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

I have nothing to add other than it looks in pretty good condition and with the right transmission.

In a similar vein though, this is tempting, but I don't even really know how to go about trying to protect against getting rust or a real inspection across the country. And only 5 pics is not really much to go off, but it looks mostly okay, at least compared to the last one I was looking at. 2004 R32

Hansolio
Nov 4, 2009

I W A N T M Y M T V

I had a same year GTI and when I checked and replaced the cam follower at 100k it showed no signs of wear. As long as it was maintained you're probably okay.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Hansolio posted:

I had a same year GTI and when I checked and replaced the cam follower at 100k it showed no signs of wear. As long as it was maintained you're probably okay.

Same, but mine was burning oil by that mileage.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

meatpimp posted:

You should buy that.

The price seems too good to pass up, especially with the mileage.

Hansolio posted:

I'm gonna ask the owner if he knows if the cam follower has been done or not. Don't these also have some timing chain/tensioner issues?

Hansolio
Nov 4, 2009

I W A N T M Y M T V

My GTI was the TFSI, so it was a belt. I'm not sure when Audi started using the TSI instead but for the GTIs it was late 2008 cars. If it is a TSI then the cam follower is a roller design and less likely to fail anyway.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

I've had a VW GTI for a few years now (bought new in 2017) and have been thinking of getting a slightly larger sedan. I'm looking for a bit more passenger/cargo space, a quieter/smoother highway ride, a sunroof, and AWD or RWD. Basically, instead of a car that focuses on lower speed/city fun I'm looking for a comfortable highway cruiser.

I went to CarMax yesterday to look at a 2017 Genesis G80 but was honestly disappointed, I've gotten used to the VW Interior which is really nice for the price (in some ways nicer than the luxury car I was looking at).

So now I'm thinking of sticking with VW/Audi, and have a couple of questions:

* Is the Audi A6 from 2016 - 2017 any good? Is the A4 large enough to distinguish it from the golf in terms of passenger room? I'm trying to stick to around 25-30k dollars
* What are your thoughts on former fleet vehicles and CarMax in general? It seems like that's the majority of what they offer, at least for the luxury sedans I was looking at... They gave me a pretty solid offer for the GTI, 18 thousand, which is comparable to what people are asking for on Craigslist. I could always sell to them without buying anything in return, but I'd get a tax break if I did. The thought of buying a used rental car is a little weird to me, and I know it effects the value long term (of course, I benefit from that as well for the initial purchase)

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

ADINSX posted:

The thought of buying a used rental car is a little weird to me, and I know it effects the value long term (of course, I benefit from that as well for the initial purchase)

Never buy a rental car.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Fleet vehicle doesn't necessarily mean rental car also tho, it could have been a corporate car for an executive etc - I recently sold a Nissan rogue which had a fleet title but I was the only owner and since it was 'my' car I serviced it at required intervals etc

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

ADINSX posted:

I've had a VW GTI for a few years now (bought new in 2017) and have been thinking of getting a slightly larger sedan. I'm looking for a bit more passenger/cargo space, a quieter/smoother highway ride, a sunroof, and AWD or RWD. Basically, instead of a car that focuses on lower speed/city fun I'm looking for a comfortable highway cruiser.

I went to CarMax yesterday to look at a 2017 Genesis G80 but was honestly disappointed, I've gotten used to the VW Interior which is really nice for the price (in some ways nicer than the luxury car I was looking at).

* Is the Audi A6 from 2016 - 2017 any good? Is the A4 large enough to distinguish it from the golf in terms of passenger room? I'm trying to stick to around 25-30k dollars
* What are your thoughts on former fleet vehicles and CarMax in general? It seems like that's the majority of what they offer, at least for the luxury sedans I was looking at... They gave me a pretty solid offer for the GTI, 18 thousand, which is comparable to what people are asking for on Craigslist. I could always sell to them without buying anything in return, but I'd get a tax break if I did. The thought of buying a used rental car is a little weird to me, and I know it effects the value long term (of course, I benefit from that as well for the initial purchase)

I recently went from an 08' GTI to a 19' Tiguan.

My GTI was as bare as you could possibly get, so all of the tech stuff that I got with the Tiguan was a substantial upgrade. There is a ton of passenger space in the front and the back. Cargo space will be dependent if you get the 3rd row option or not. The 3rd row option is a joke and is meant only for small children. Adaptive cruise control is pretty cool once you get used to it, 4-Motion is available and there is a panoramic moon-roof.

The power is lacking in the car though and the gas mileage is pretty atrocious. But coming from a GTI the gas mileage should be the same.

From what I've read online APR has a Tiguan tune, but you'll void your warranty.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

ADINSX posted:

It’s said the C7 gen A6 with 3.0T is Audi's most reliable machine. I'm currently testing this claim.

Acoustic glass, solid structure and long wheelbase make it a magic carpet on the highway. The driver assists are less intrusive than Audi's current gen (ie it won't randomly slam on the brakes for no reason).

The B8 amd B9 A4 will have more shoulder and legroom VS Golf. More rear pax space of course . Less headroom tho.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

obi_ant posted:

...and there is a panoramic moon-roof.
:ohdear:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
yeah VAG panorama roof is an option that i decided to pay less not to get

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.

ADINSX posted:

I don't know the exact sizes off hand, but the newer A4 definitely has more passenger room than the Golf. My previous A4 was a 2005 (B6), and it was about a foot shorter than my 2015 (B8.5) A4, so somewhere in there they made the car bigger. Note that the B8.5 platform was in production from 2013 to 2016, and the B9 went from (I believe) 2017-2019, so when you say "2016 to 2017 A4," you're actually talking about two (slightly) different cars.

My 2015 A4 was a "fleet vehicle" which I found out just meant that it was previously a loaner at the Audi dealership that I bought it from. I'm not mechanic, but have worked on my two Audi's for about ten years now, and found my "fleet" car to be well maintained before I bought it, but of course YMMV. I would see if you can find out exactly what the "fleet" designation means for your specific vehicle and either inspect the car yourself or have a professional mechanic take a look, rather than just make a decision based on the "fleet" designation alone.

I'm an A4 guy, so someone else will have to chime in on the A6 questions.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

yeah VAG panorama roof is an option that i decided to pay less not to get

What's wrong with the pano? My kid seems to like it a lot, gives the feeling of more space in the cabin too. Also, 6 year warranty. Although, I've had issues with leaky moonroofs in the past... :ohdear::ohdear::ohdear:

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

The Mk 7.5 Golf platform (the sportwagen in particular) has chronic issues with bad welds on the roof drains and around the pano roof I believe. It's the type of thing the dealer may not actually be able to fix if it goes wrong, even under warranty.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Blakkout posted:

I don't know the exact sizes off hand, but the newer A4 definitely has more passenger room than the Golf.

Yes, the rear seat and passenger space in my MK VI GTI was becoming an issue as the kids have grown to seat kicking size and the grandparents have become stiffer. If you can picture granpa pushing the seat all the way back because his legs are cramping up while Nana screams because the seat just slammed into her knees you will get why this was a big problem that needed resolution.

The A4/S4 is larger in that respect, though not huge by any means. The A6 was even roomier but too big for my taste.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Thanks for the responses everyone!

smooth jazz posted:

It’s said the C7 gen A6 with 3.0T is Audi's most reliable machine. I'm currently testing this claim.

Acoustic glass, solid structure and long wheelbase make it a magic carpet on the highway. The driver assists are less intrusive than Audi's current gen (ie it won't randomly slam on the brakes for no reason).

The B8 amd B9 A4 will have more shoulder and legroom VS Golf. More rear pax space of course . Less headroom tho.

This is encouraging, wikipedia tells me they've been making the C7 since 2011, with a "facelift" since 2015. Buying something a couple of years older than my current car should help keep the cost down.

Looks like I should check out both the B9 A4 and the C7 A6. The A4 might not be a big enough jump in comfort/size to justify the cost but it wont hurt to look.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

It looks like you're in the states, just fyi the C7.5 facelift was MY2016-2018. 2015 was for Europe and elsewhere.

I've had a B9 S4 and now C7.5 A6. Somehow the A6 with the old supercharged 3.0T gets better hwy mileage. I can avg 29 mpg without trying.
My S4 with the new turbo motor got around 25 mpg.

RusteJuxx
Jul 14, 2001

College Slice

obi_ant posted:

I recently went from an 08' GTI to a 19' Tiguan.

My GTI was as bare as you could possibly get, so all of the tech stuff that I got with the Tiguan was a substantial upgrade. There is a ton of passenger space in the front and the back. Cargo space will be dependent if you get the 3rd row option or not. The 3rd row option is a joke and is meant only for small children. Adaptive cruise control is pretty cool once you get used to it, 4-Motion is available and there is a panoramic moon-roof.

The power is lacking in the car though and the gas mileage is pretty atrocious. But coming from a GTI the gas mileage should be the same.

From what I've read online APR has a Tiguan tune, but you'll void your warranty.
In March I upgraded from a Golf to a 2020 Tiguan. I had a GTI before that. Going from GTI to Golf to Tiguan is definitely a steady drop in terms of power; however, there are really good trade offs. The blind spot detection is amazing, the adaptive cruise control on the highway is insanely weird at first but really nice once you adjust and realize you just need to not swerve into someone by physically jerking the wheel, and the roominess is a huge plus. I've had to make use of the extra cargo room multiple times since the pandemic hit and the items never would have fit in a Golf / GTI or sedan. It's roomier for the front passenger and driver and I don't even touch the seat in the back seat with my legs when sitting normally.

I thought it'd be hard to adjust to driving a car almost twice the size, but it's pretty easy to adjust to. It corners pretty well - and I'm someone that really liked to push cornering in the GTI. And parking is a breeze with the 360 camera. It's no Subaru, but the visibility is pretty good too because of the really high roof line - no tiny windows hiding objects behind support beams.

There are only two things I dislike, because I'm picky, I miss the ratcheting arm rest from the Golf/GTI and the rear camera was better on the Golf/GTI. There is a much wider camera angle on the Golf body cars whereas the Tiguan camera stops with like a foot of blind spot. I think it's because the 360 camera expects the door cameras to cover that area, but it's a bit annoying backing up.

Anyway, ADINSX, give the Tiguan a look to get the same great VW interior and comfortable feel with some nice improvements where you want them.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

RusteJuxx posted:

In March I upgraded from a Golf to a 2020 Tiguan. I had a GTI before that. Going from GTI to Golf to Tiguan is definitely a steady drop in terms of power; however, there are really good trade offs. The blind spot detection is amazing, the adaptive cruise control on the highway is insanely weird at first but really nice once you adjust and realize you just need to not swerve into someone by physically jerking the wheel, and the roominess is a huge plus. I've had to make use of the extra cargo room multiple times since the pandemic hit and the items never would have fit in a Golf / GTI or sedan. It's roomier for the front passenger and driver and I don't even touch the seat in the back seat with my legs when sitting normally.

I thought it'd be hard to adjust to driving a car almost twice the size, but it's pretty easy to adjust to. It corners pretty well - and I'm someone that really liked to push cornering in the GTI. And parking is a breeze with the 360 camera. It's no Subaru, but the visibility is pretty good too because of the really high roof line - no tiny windows hiding objects behind support beams.

There are only two things I dislike, because I'm picky, I miss the ratcheting arm rest from the Golf/GTI and the rear camera was better on the Golf/GTI. There is a much wider camera angle on the Golf body cars whereas the Tiguan camera stops with like a foot of blind spot. I think it's because the 360 camera expects the door cameras to cover that area, but it's a bit annoying backing up.

Anyway, ADINSX, give the Tiguan a look to get the same great VW interior and comfortable feel with some nice improvements where you want them.

I think what you said is completely true, my wife was really hesitant to drive a large car, but having the 360 camera made it so much easier to park within the city. The car fits our needs very well since our family is growing and the need to carry endless amounts of poo poo around has dramatically increased. The adaptive cruise control is really to use, the infotainment system is pretty nifty, my favorite feature of the car is probably the power liftgate.

We tried a few competitors such as the RAV4 the CRV and the CX-5, But the sloping hood of the Tiguan made a look and feel a bit more compact than its competitors. Also the interiors for those cars don’t have that Volkswagen feel and quality to it.

The lack of power is pretty much a given since Volkswagen for some reason decided to completely neuter the car.

The ratcheting armrest is also weird feature that they took away, considering how big the car is, you would think that they would be able to just include it. Also, for how big the car is there isn’t a lot of compartments to store things in.

One of my first purchases for the car was an organizational drawer for the armrest.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

obi_ant posted:

The ratcheting armrest is also weird feature that they took away, considering how big the car is, you would think that they would be able to just include it. Also, for how big the car is there isn’t a lot of compartments to store things in.

"a cars.com article I read 5 years ago and remembered just for this occasion" posted:

It’s perplexing given the Golf and GTI have storage consoles with armrests that are both height- and length-adjustable. Throw a few belongings underneath; then perch your elbow at any of the armrest’s myriad elevations. It’s a VW tradition we’ve come to love through the years.
Not so in the Golf R. The center armrest moves forward, but doesn’t adjust upward or open; there’s no compartment underneath. Instead, gear must be stashed in the glove box or door pockets.
How and why can this be? Volkswagen spokesman Mark Gillies confirmed our sanity: The armrest is, in fact, fixed. And it’s because of federal regulations.
“On the GTI and Golf, we have a different center console design because they have a manual hand brake, while the Golf R has an electronic hand brake,” Gillies said. “On the GTI and Golf, the armrest has a latch to secure the armrest in place to comply with FMVSS [Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards] regulations. The European Golf R armrest does not have this latch, so the decision was taken to lock it to accord with FMVSS regulations.”
The rule in question appears to be FMVSS No. 201, “Occupant Protection in Interior Impact,” which mandates any interior compartment with a door must remain closed in a crash. Specifically, FMVSS 201 states that “each interior compartment door assembly located in an instrument panel, console assembly, seat back, or side panel adjacent to a designated seating position shall remain closed” when subjected to specified tests.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I guess that makes sense. For safety reasons they don't want anything to anything flying around like bullets during an accident. I wonder if there is someone out there who sells the ratcheting arm rest for us less inclined to safety. There must be, there are individuals out there with the mind set that if they get into a car crash the would rather die than to live a life of possible disfigurement. I point you to figure A...

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

You all should have bought sportwagens instead of tiguans and I'm mad that you didn't!!!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

flightless greeb posted:

You all should have bought sportwagens instead of tiguans and I'm mad that you didn't!!!

We looked at a Tiguan and it was actually incredibly spartan which was shocking. We ended up going with a Passat SE TDI insted.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

flightless greeb posted:

I would have bought one over my GTI if manuals had been available at that point and if the options packages were different. If I remember correctly you couldn't even get a manual with the top packages that had what I wanted.

RusteJuxx
Jul 14, 2001

College Slice

flightless greeb posted:

I wanted something higher seated and with a 360 camera. Getting in and out of the Golf was killing my back and I didn't think the 3 inches for the sportwagen would have cut it. The Tiguan is also supposed to have the heated wiper park, which I don't see lines for so I dunno if it's really there yet, but that was one of my main selling points. I really wanted the updated large blind spot monitors in the 2020 Tiguan too. The built into the mirror ones are too non-obvious for me.

I really want VW to make something like the Subaru Crosstrek - a high sitting Golf with all the tech from the top of the line Tiguan basically. The Tiguan was the compromise.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

fknlo posted:

I would have bought one over my GTI if manuals had been available at that point and if the options packages were different. If I remember correctly you couldn't even get a manual with the top packages that had what I wanted.

No thats fine its good to buy a GTI, im just mad at people who buy tiguans because theyre the people that have caused the GSW to be canceled in our market lol

The higher seated bad back thing I cant relate to since im still hale and hearty and in my 30s but they did make the all-trac which sits fairly high and has higher trim levels etc. Whats done is done tho, RIP Voks-Wagon

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

There's a guy on youtube who sells european armrests with the ratcheting action. I ordered one and installed it into my mk7 r, and then got the tiny little rubber pad for the storage box from an ebay seller in belarus or some poo poo

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

flightless greeb posted:

SportWagen crew checking in.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

dialhforhero posted:

SportWagen crew checking in.

My husband bought one about a year and a half back, got a 14 TDI in manual, it's pretty sweet.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

flightless greeb posted:

lol I've started looking at these now, maybe an A4 wagon... now that I'm interested in them I see them all over Seattle

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Weird question, my father has been sending me links about a class action suit against VW?

something about, quote:

the collision avoidance system locking the brakes or failing to do that.

Anyone know anything about this? He's got my best interests at heart, but isn't always the best about researching articles on the internet.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254701966913?ul_noapp=true

someone please stop me from doing something self destructive

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Deviant posted:

Weird question, my father has been sending me links about a class action suit against VW?

something about, quote:

the collision avoidance system locking the brakes or failing to do that.

Anyone know anything about this? He's got my best interests at heart, but isn't always the best about researching articles on the internet.
It looks like there’s a proposed class action lawsuit in the US and Canada over the anti collision braking system incorrectly triggering and applying the brakes. I had that happen to me once on the highway in my 2013 S4. Thankfully no one was behind me but the car just suddenly applied fully brakes for a brief moment.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254701966913?ul_noapp=true

someone please stop me from doing something self destructive

Normally, I'm all for automotive insanity. But my '00 allroad was an unreliable hunk brand new. It was a great motor combo with a 6 speed, but man... it was just always feeling like it was on the brink of breakage. I can only imagine what 20 years has done to them.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

i had to sell my c5 last year (the second i've owned) for like $800 because of it making GBS threads the bed constantly and essentially committing suicide. it threw two starters in a year lmao.

still, i loving miss driving that car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

We looked at a Tiguan and it was actually incredibly spartan which was shocking. We ended up going with a Passat SE TDI insted.

I got a base model atlas because I wanted the trunk space and easier for a tall person to get in and out. It's the most frugal interior I've ever seen. However I keep tinkering with it and it's getting more fun. They may call it an SUV, but it's just a big station wagon.