Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

ughhhh posted:

Also how are you supposed to see how much you are charged if you are blind? even if you dont need PIN or anything, even the process of using credit cards are fraught with difficulty.

Can't the same confusion happen if you're blind using cash? In fact, it's harder to rip people off with charges. With cash you can say a higher price and keep the difference.

Being blind sucks.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!

Deceitful Penguin posted:

And we're now going into a lot of problems for the blind, like how did they get there, how did they find the groceries they needed, just to get to the point of paying with a credit card.
I'd love to ask a blind person these questions, but they can't post on the internet! They're BLIND!

Oh, Magoo! You've done it again!

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Spirit Tree posted:

Wow, you're so in touch and caring with the rest of the world, even listening to the concerns of blind people instead of just questioning why they should exist outside without a minder.

But keep blaming everyone else for thinking you're a condescending smug piece of poo poo I guess. Again.
:shrug:
Buy me another passive aggressive avatar? I'm sure that will make me less of a smug turd, I'm sure. I don't know any blind people nor have I studied their condition in depth so I have no idea how they live, so sorry for making assumptions made on faulty data I suppose.

I hope this picture will make you forgive me~

casa de mi padre posted:

I'd love to ask a blind person these questions, but they can't post on the internet! They're BLIND!

Oh, Magoo! You've done it again!
Well, ain't there people with text-to-speech software around or whatevs? Or one of you fine fellows might know how this is and explain it, ehh.

Spirit Tree
Jan 22, 2007
Photosynthesising

Buy me another passive aggressive avatar? I'm sure that will make me less of a smug turd, I'm sure. I don't know any blind people nor have I studied their condition in depth so I have no idea how they live, so sorry for making assumptions made on faulty data I suppose.

So how the gently caress can you comment on how blind people have it so well in your country, and why they or anyone else should dare to use cash when you have your nifty debit card.

Take responsibility for your own stupid poo poo you say instead of blaming it on other people for reading it.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I found this with the translation "How the Church has planted their religion in Spain". My Spanish sucks but I'm pretty sure that says "How they've planted the Churches of their religion in Spain".

e: I worked at a drug store for a few years and we had a couple blind customers. We served a very poor area so they were typically impoverished folks, but they never came without a family member. Furthermore, I can't imagine any of my coworkers doing anything but giving them honest service, even though they were poor, too.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

BerkerkLurk posted:

Says "WERE YOU THERE!?" while preacher is reading from the Bible, everyone falls on their knees and starts crying.
Or at least causes them to tremble. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_sRYsiyuOs

Today is the anniversary of the disaster at the Chernobyl Plant:

In which some 600,000 workers were involved as liquidators, many who were exposed to high radiation wearing little more than basic PPE:

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Spirit Tree posted:

So how the gently caress can you comment on how blind people have it so well in your country, and why they or anyone else should dare to use cash when you have your nifty debit card.

Take responsibility for your own stupid poo poo you say instead of blaming it on other people for reading it.

Goddamn dude, I asked that because the only loving country I've been to where using cards isn't exactly as easy or even simpler than using cash is loving Japan and even they have some decent care for the blind 'cause of Hiroshima. Most of my life I used cash until I finally did travel far off enough for long enough that I didn't expect to be able to carry all the money so I got a card and I've kept it since because its shitloads more convenient. This was when I was loving 21. Nothing about it, except for maybe cost, isn't better than cash and that would also apply to blind people.

If all the deaf people, people with developmental disabilities both physical and mental I know have it pretty good, it's a loving safe bet that blind people do too. The fact that a single google of the bills sent me straight to a link about how the bills we use are actually different because of lobbying from the Association for the Blind means that they are fairly active in that poo poo.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.
In the US (and, I assume, other countries where the cash is all the same size) blind people are taught to fold their cash in a certain way so they can identify the bills by touch. This does rely on the clerk being honest about the bill's denomination. My blind friend pretty much just uses a debit card for most transactions. Debit cards can be run as credit if the keypad is an issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1sJyeu8h_I

And yes, she uses the internet. There's text-to-speech software, as well refreshable braille displays.

e. as for signing credit card slips you can use a personalized stamp, at least in the US, although my friend does not do this.

platedlizard fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Apr 26, 2013

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Fandyien posted:

I found this with the translation "How the Church has planted their religion in Spain". My Spanish sucks but I'm pretty sure that says "How they've planted the Churches of their religion in Spain".

e: I worked at a drug store for a few years and we had a couple blind customers. We served a very poor area so they were typically impoverished folks, but they never came without a family member. Furthermore, I can't imagine any of my coworkers doing anything but giving them honest service, even though they were poor, too.

The word for word translation of that is "How has sown/planted the Church his religion in Spain", so the original translation provided is correct.

New campaign concept for us Scottish indy supporters:

I love the idea behind this, that decentralization is a path for greater international understanding.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2013/04/guns.html

quote:

Residents vote against a proposal that asks that each household be required to own a firearm in Byron, Maine, March 11, 2013. The proposal and vote has thrust the tiny town of 140 residents into the heated national debate on gun control. (Herb Swanson/EPA)

:911:

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

I hope this picture will make you forgive me~

Well, ain't there people with text-to-speech software around or whatevs? Or one of you fine fellows might know how this is and explain it, ehh.

I'd hate to sound passive aggressive here, so I'll just be as actively aggressive as possible: you're a loving retard who doesn't know when to shut up and needs to stop posting. The new monopoly money the US is putting into production is a direct result of lawsuits brought on behalf of the visually impaired.

http://judicialview.com/Court-Cases/Finance__Banking/Visually-Impaired-Successfully-Challenge-U.S.-Currency-Design/27/3461

quote:

The point of contention was whether the visually-impaired were in fact denied meaningful access to currency. The Court held that the Council carried its burden on this issue, showing that the visually-impaired cannot readily identify currency without the aid of a third party or expensive electronic equipment. The Court held that this severely impacted the ability of the visually impaired to participate in “employment, economic self-sufficiency, independence, and inclusion and integration into society.”

You also don't know poo poo about credit cards. Maybe you should try not sounding proud of your ignorance and narrow provincial perspective. I don't know why anyone would deign to explain anything to someone with your attitude.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This gif makes me feel really bad, so I came to inflict it on you guys :(

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Node posted:

Oh my goodness that is awesome. Science money! I want some!

He's not a villain for whistleblowing, he's a villain for being a rapist.

George Galloway MP, professional cat imitator and friend to any dictator who ever said anything bad about the US, is one of Assange's biggest defenders, to the point of suing the National Union of Students for calling him a rape denier after he said that Assange penetrating a sleeping woman without her consent was only "bad sexual ettiquette".

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Omi-Polari posted:

I just spent way too much time browsing a Rhodesian forum. Yeah and what you said. It was a white supremacist society but also interesting to read about. Because it was absolutely doomed in retrospect and you kinda watch this deluded white suburban fantasy in Africa get blown to hell by Marxist guerrillas, which is fascinating. Apparently they lost the bulk of their strategic oil reserve in a single ZANLA rocket barrage in 1978. And even if you were a sympathizer of white rule (they normally say things like "we were betrayed by Kissinger!") you'd still have to marvel at how badly they hosed everything up for themselves.

I met a Rhodesian once. It's not as interesting or unique as it sounds. But I was at a municipal airport for a fly-in (like hobby pilots and people who rebuild old military planes) and there was this guy and his wife dressed up for the bush with this Australian scout plane from World War 2. I noticed the green and white Rhodesian flag on the side and said "Is... is that a Rhodesian flag?" Turns out the guy was born there. He looked taken aback and said something like "You know what that is?"

That might not be an unusual thing in the Commonwealth but it was in Texas.

Anyways I found these:

^ Chewing gum (?) packaging.

^ Logo for Rhodesian First Psychological Operations Unit. Guessing these guys designed the labels. Also, weirdly rumored to have designed the present-day Zimbabwean flag.

I'll be honest, most of my fascination with Rhodesia started with seeing old pictures of the place. I thought it was really neat to see suburban houses just like the kind I grew up in, except in the middle of sub-Saharan Africa. Of course I recognize the 70+ years of atrocities and Cecil Rhodes' legacy that had to happen for those little houses to be there. I started reading up on it, and was amazed that white minority rule continued there until 1979. Christ. Oh, and at least on newrhodesian.net, most of the self-identified Americans who post there seem to be from Texas :wtf:

That's pretty neat about the airplane though (I'm also a plane nerd)! I'm kind of surprised it wasn't a Cessna 337, which was used by the RhAF in the Bush War.

All this reading and learning about Africa has let me to two conclusions so far:

1. The aftereffects of colonialism are still being experienced today and will continue to be felt by African nations, and
2. Africa is an immensely fascinating continent and I really would love to spend some time there working. I even made a thread.

For pics content, how the average white Rhodesian had to resort to the following just to feel safe and not briefly consider that Change Is Coming is beyond me:

Also, how many times during your foray in to Rhodesian forums did you see some variation of "Well, all the blacks I know miss Ian Smith and agreed that he was right!"

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Kegluneq posted:

We put Darwin on the tenner, take that creationists! :colbert:

British coins come with a ridiculously huge variety of designs. I do particularly love the 'tails' side of the vanilla £2 coin though.

I don't think these gears are going to turn.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

SyHopeful posted:

I started reading up on it, and was amazed that white minority rule continued there until 1979. Christ.
South Africa managed that up until the mid-90s :geert:.

Mandela and de Klerk salt and pepper shakers.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Haitian slave revolt

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Squalid posted:

I'd hate to sound passive aggressive here, so I'll just be as actively aggressive as possible: you're a loving retard who doesn't know when to shut up and needs to stop posting. The new monopoly money the US is putting into production is a direct result of lawsuits brought on behalf of the visually impaired.

http://judicialview.com/Court-Cases/Finance__Banking/Visually-Impaired-Successfully-Challenge-U.S.-Currency-Design/27/3461

You also don't know poo poo about credit cards. Maybe you should try not sounding proud of your ignorance and narrow provincial perspective. I don't know why anyone would deign to explain anything to someone with your attitude.
That's fine. Honest contempt is preferable to snide passive-aggressiveness. Your opinion of me isn't overly important but it's still a shame if I'm coming across as proud of my ignorance and, gods forbid, provincial.

Reading that link, you're right, that is a pretty great win for the visually impaired to get that through. And covers most of the points raised. And we all leave a little wiser for your informative post~

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Apr 27, 2013

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Was on BBC news, pretty awesome badge.

Fluo fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Apr 27, 2013

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Postin itt because it keeps showing an unread post while I've read it several times. Weird.

Anyway, lovely as the euro is, it at least has some features designed to help the visually impaired. The notes are all different sizes, and they have tactile ink in different patterns on them. This helps in counterfeit prevention also of course.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Squalid posted:

narrow provincial perspective

*claims American experience as universal*
:ironicat:

This is the mirror image of my bank's debit card. It works anywhere in Holland with a machine (which is basically anywhere that isn't the deepest boonies of Friesland), and everywhere in Europe that I've tried it. I have never run into minimum spending limits with it. Meanwhile, when I went to New York half my family was stumped trying to use the drat subway since the machines couldn't use a credit card without an American address.

spankmeister posted:

Postin itt because it keeps showing an unread post while I've read it several times. Weird.

Anyway, lovely as the euro is, it at least has some features designed to help the visually impaired. The notes are all different sizes, and they have tactile ink in different patterns on them. This helps in counterfeit prevention also of course.

Don't forget the unique backgrounds, when it came out I remember a minor fad was collecting as many coins from as many different countries as possible.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Forums Terrorist posted:

This is the mirror image of my bank's debit card. It works anywhere in Holland with a machine (which is basically anywhere that isn't the deepest boonies of Friesland), and everywhere in Europe that I've tried it. I have never run into minimum spending limits with it. Meanwhile, when I went to New York half my family was stumped trying to use the drat subway since the machines couldn't use a credit card without an American address.

I've had about 20-30% luck using a card like that in the US at various places. Large stores like target and wal mart seem to be able to take them okay but most places don't.

As for my mastercard, most places accepted it just fine, for some places I needed to enter a ZIP code (gas stations mostly IIRC). I would just enter 5 random numbers and that usually worked okay, at one place that didn't work and I used 90210 because that's the only valid ZIP I know offhand ( :q: ) and at one other place I could not pump gas at all and had to go inside to swipe my card at the counter.

Pictured: A lovely bank.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"Denmark helps the Netherlands"

"German theater in the Netherlands"

"Let’s get to Berlin!"

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Forums Terrorist posted:

Pardon me, but I didn't intend to make any universal claims, merely to vent my frustration with someone universalizing their own experience. Could you be so kind as to point out the specific claims with which you took issue?

:nws: A happy ending for fascists and Quislings :nms:

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Squalid posted:

Pardon me, but I didn't intend to make any universal claims, merely to vent my frustration with someone universalizing their own experience. Could you be so kind as to point out the specific claims with which you took issue?

:nws: A happy ending for fascists and Quislings :nms:

derp

A lot of the people weren't objecting to DP's idiocy based on "using a debit/credit card might be hard if you're blind", they were objecting on "most places don't take credit/debit cards for small purchases" which struck me as an objection that is inherently based on where you live or have been. I recognize that in turn I made assumptions but I felt I've traveled enough that I can at least comment on several different experiences. :shobon:

Goblins For Liberty

Forums Terrorist fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Apr 27, 2013

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Piece of landing gear probably from one of the planes that hit the WTC, found 12 years later wedged into the narrow gap between two buildings in Manhattan.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Forums Terrorist posted:

A lot of the people weren't objecting to DP's idiocy based on "using a debit/credit card might be hard if you're blind", they were objecting on "most places don't take credit/debit cards for small purchases" which struck me as an objection that is inherently based on where you live or have been. I recognize that in turn I made assumptions but I felt I've traveled enough that I can at least comment on several different experiences. :shobon:

Britain and USA prefer cash. Scandinavia, Holland et al prefer cards. It's not complicated. Personally, I prefer cash - your card might fail, and you get a weaker sense of how much money you're spending.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Forums Terrorist posted:

The variable acceptability of credit across states or even within them is the reason I got sick of hearing claims regarding their universal utility for their blind, even assuming the weird baseless assumptions necessary to conclude they were more practical for the vision impaired were true. Also a reason I didn't make any universal claims period, besides the ones regarding U.S. currency or the shittyness of Deceitful Penguins posting. Also I guess it's good to know I shouldn't rely on :spoiler: text to hide images of Ngo Dinh Diem's guts splattered over the apc in which he was murdered, considering quotes just show it all anyway.

edit for pic:

“One Hundred Horses” painted by Giuseppe Castiglione in 1728

Castiglione was one of many Jesuit's operating in China during the late Ming and then, again after a brief period of exile, during the Qing. The Jesuits brought many European innovations to the East Asia during this period, including matchlock firearms, the Gregorian Calendar, and sophisticated European theories of perspective and depth. Most of these principles would remain unfashionable in Oriental art until the 19th century.

Squalid fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Apr 27, 2013

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I'm travelling back to Switzerland at the end of July; haven't been back since 1975. The money, both paper & coin, was beautiful, and the bills being different sizes & colors took some getting used to. I remember ny father had a stack of CHF 1000- bills for buying my mother an old Mini. They were enormous.

I was sorry to hear that the design changed, Loved the CHF 100- note:

I plan on getting a sampling of the currency to bring back, though I'll be using a debit card most of the time.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Squalid posted:

The variable acceptability of credit across states or even within them is the reason I got sick of hearing claims regarding their universal utility for their blind, even assuming the weird baseless assumptions necessary to conclude they were more practical for the vision impaired were true. Also a reason I didn't make any universal claims period, besides the ones regarding U.S. currency or the shittyness of Deceitful Penguins posting. Also I guess it's good to know I shouldn't rely on :spoiler: text to hide images of Ngo Dinh Diem's guts splattered over the apc in which he was murdered, considering quotes just show it all anyway.

Fixed, agreed, and post a picture.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

ekuNNN posted:

This gif makes me feel really bad, so I came to inflict it on you guys :(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero_Day_(film)

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

George Osborne crying bitch tears at Thatcher's funeral. :laffo:

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Compiling data from the most recent Small Arms Survey (SAS), the most wide-ranging international survey of civilian gun ownership, and the Freedom House Index, which tabulates both political rights and civil liberties, it's apparent that the correlation between democratic structures and a well-armed citizenry is, at best, slight.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

quote:

A Mujahadeen fighter, Kunar, Afghanistan, 1980.

torgo
Aug 13, 2003

Fun Shoe
1930 "Poverty Party" thrown by the Delta Upsilon fraternity at Tufts University.

I wonder if it was thrown in the same spirit as this party?

Maybe it was more like this.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Crasscrab posted:

George Osborne crying bitch tears at Thatcher's funeral. :laffo:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Just in case there's confusion (which there was for me), Yemen comes in between the US and Switzerland but the label is missing. Switzerland did not have a revolution since 2003 that we missed.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Czechoslovakia hasn't existed for years? At least they can spell it correctly.

That's Mark Sanford on the left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

• Locked thread