Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
D_W
Nov 12, 2013

At hearing the pun Fritz goes stoned faced and looks directly at Rudolph. He then snaps his fingers and points. "Kid? Did I ever tell you that you're alright? 'Cause you're alright!" he says with a laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
The boat ride takes the party a bit less than an hour, but the gentle rocking and pleasant speed at which the barge travels make the trip a rather pleasing, if dull one. No giant monstrosities or elf patrols interrupt the voyage, and our adventurers are all feeling a bit more rested by the time they see the entrance of the caves. Now, the barge floats under a clear sky, hundreds upon thousands of stars illuminating the night sky, and the bright moon reflecting light back to the snowy earth results in a surprising degree of visibility. A few purple bands dance around the sky, breathtaking aurora that seems to hum gently at our merry band and beckon them towards the icy plains. Fritz could tell tall tales, but there was no way to overexaggerate the serenity, the inner peace one witnesses when watching the beauty of nature here, a desolate glacier with a warm little town under the magical winter sky.

And then, a loud whistling noise draws you out of your reverie. Your senses are sharpened once again, and you finally take in the North Pole in its entirety.

Oh my.

Krampus certainly redecorated the place.

The first thing that Rudolph notices is the new... Fortress of sorts. A massive, glacial structure, seemingly created out of massive spikes of ice rising out from the plains, forming a castle with the shape of Krampus' laughing face, because of course he would.

Fritz, meanwhile, sees his former workplace. It has certainly been expanded, and two massive chimneys now tower out of the manufactory. Occasionally, fire flares up at the top of the chimneys, causing dirty, black clouds to drift into the sky, obscuring the aurora with their smog. Every now and then, a loud horn or whistle is blown, but Fritz somehow doubts they are getting many lunch breaks in there.

Everyone, tell me how you feel about the New North Pole, and add an extra revolting detail that the Krampus added to his new fiefdom.

The river passes through the center of Yuletide village. It's a pleasant enough village, with quaint houses and street lamps shaped like candy canes. As Fritz and Rudolph recall, it had quite the bustling nightlife, as many off-duty gnomes and halflings caroused in one of several inns around town, occasionally joined by winter elves, too. But tonight, the town seems eerily empty, as if under curfew.

As the barge drifts past the town center, you get a glimpse of a massive pine tree on the town square. It seems to be set on fire instead of decorated with the usual Yuletide lights. Here and there, you see man-sized, man-shaped cages suspended above the water. Some of them are empty. Most of them have a skeleton in them, a limb or two slipping through the iron bars and slowly swinging in the wind.

The barge is forced to a halt at a sluice gate. From the deck of the ship, you could easily take a ladder on either side of the barge to reach the wharf. Theoretically, you could open the gate and keep drifting along the river, but you'd only reach the outskirts of town before reaching the open seas of the arctic, which is not exactly where you want to be right now.

On the quay, you can make out movement as two dark elves come out of the toll house. next to the toll house, you can see another man-cage. A hapless, apparently living figure is forced to stand upright in his uncomfortably narrow prison. You all stay motionless in your hiding spots on the barge, and can make out a faint "Hello?" as one of them yells at you down below. The other one is holding an oil lantern, trying to get a better view of the barge's deck.
He tells his companion: "Huh, seems empty."
"This poo poo gives me the creeps."
"We can't just leave it here."

There is a pause as they seem to think this through, and then:
"Okay, I'm climbing down and searching the deck. You stay here and watch for anything fishy."

Everyone, what do you do?

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 28, 2016

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
The Judge
Str 16 (+2)| Dex 9 | Con 15 (+1) | Wis 13 (+1)| Int 12 | Cha 8 (-1)

Damage 1d8 | Armour 4 | HP 25/25 XP 6

The Judge relaxed on the ride, marvelling at the rhythmic rolling of the raft. It reminded him of when he had been decommissioned, when he and his brothers had been sent to their rest on the Island of Misfit Toys. He hadn't been reactivated on the ride back to the kingdom, instead awaking when his Queen, joy of joys, gave him his orders himself.

The carnage over, he let one hand and then other dip into the running water, sluicing the blood from his ironwood fingers. Now at rest, he felt the magic that kept him running knit together some of the damage he had taken. With nothing better to do, he attempted to strike up conversation.

"Tell me about the ghosts," he asked the skeleton priest. "I didn't know they existed. Does every living thing have one? Would I?"

Healing: 1d6 5

As the raft slowed in Krampustown, the Judge attempted to peek out the window. This looked like it required subterfuge. If that failed, then he would murder the elves.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Fritz
HP: 15/18 | LV: 2 | XP: 0 | Load: 6/9

"Well this place has changed a bit" Fritz thought. He was actually leaning towards terrified. He gripped the small gem in his pocket and sighed. He then whispers to the rest of the party, "They don't seem to know we're on this thing. Oh I could tell you 'bout that time... Uh. Later. Later. We have to be quiet. I'm going to go see if I can see."

With that Fritz sneaks up to the door and listens and watches.

ROLL:
DR - 2d6+1 = 7!

oof!

What should we be on the look out for?

EDIT: I forgot to put Fritz's reaction to the situation.

D_W fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Feb 3, 2016

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Okay, so, 1xp for notable foe, 1xp for treasure, 1xp for the bond.

New bond with Rudolph: Rudolph Pobbs could make a model employee. He seems quite hardly for a mortal. Maybe I should offer him a job?

Would we count the Yeti or the Elf witch as "evil otherworldly forces"? Because if so that's 1xp more. Meaning I get to lv 2. If that's the case +1 to INT, and selecting A Haunting Spree. New haunts!
Haunts roll: 1d4+2 3
- Phantom Armament
- Unseen presence
- Dread Ceremonies

Edward Jones & The Spirit of Christmas Future
HP: 19/24 | LV: 1 | XP: | 3/7
HAUNTS

The landscape looked... scarred. No wonder the Spirits seemed so restless and unwilling to cooperate. Black twisting trees of metal grow from the ice, like some kind of infection. Power lines running through the branches, carrying crackling charges of power from one unholy construction to another.

Guards... Great. Well with a little bit of manipulation he should be able to pass unseen. He just had to be more spirit than shell for a time.

- - -
Haunt - Unseen Presence: 2d6+2 8
The next 5/7 (depending on xp) I encounter cannot persevere me. If I cast another haunt or attack the haunt ends prematurely and I roll Tantrum.

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Don't "shhh!" me, you rich bastard!
Rudolph Pobbs
HP: 11/21; Lvl 1; XP: 5/7; Load 3/6

There's something in the air that makes Rudolph uneasy. Not the Krampus fortress, or the flaming Yule tree, or the cages--these make him sick and angry. It takes a few minutes of floating down the river for him to realize; it's silence. There were always sleighbells ringing in Yuletide, but not tonight. Tonight the air is still, as though the black smoke blocked out sound as well as the sun.

As the dark elf begins descending the ladder, a large white arctic hawk takes flight from the barge. The hawk flies back the way they came. It briefly lands on one of the cages hanging over the water, and when it takes flight again it is clutching a thick femur in its talons.

Shapeshift - Arctic Hawk: 2d6+2 7
Intending to divebomb the second elf and break his lantern with the bone (I wanna light him up like a candle); what should I roll for that, assuming i don't get shot out of the sky first?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
The elf gingerly climbs down to the deck of the barge and shuffles around a bit. He grips the top of his coat and readjusts his scarf, and approaches the cabin where you are hiding while holding one hand on his sheathed sword. He stops a few paces from the cabin's door, and leans sideways, then stands on the tips of his toes to peer into the window. He doesn't seem to see you.

Meanwhile, Rudolph circles above the elf standing on the quay and spots an opportunity to knock the lantern out of his hands. He dives, screeches in the startled vanguard's face and tries to land on his arm. The elf screams in terror, his nerves apparently on edge all night and now pushed past breaking point, and drops the lantern. It bounces off the side of the pier, then tumbles down the length of the sluice and loudly crashes into shards and burning oil on the deck. The oil spreads out over the wood, rope and linen, and a wildfire spreads out from the front of the barge.

The elf on the deck jolts as he hears the scream and crash behind him, and turns around with his sword at the ready. "What the hell was that?!" he yells, and then panic sets in when he sees the path between him and the ladders to the quay is blocked by a spreading fire. "Thoril! I'll have your head for this!"

The elf on the pier collects himself and crouches at the edge, looks down and sees what he inadvertently caused.
"poo poo! I have no idea what the gently caress just ha-"
"Get! Me! Out! Of! Here!"

Thoril stands up and looks around the pier for a way to help his trapped friend. He throws a few ugly glances at the figure in the cage near the toll house, who seems to have woken up from the commotion. "It wasn't that drat courier, then," he mutters, as he fumbles to untie a rope at the berth.

Rudolph has transformed back into his human form behind the toll house and can see Thoril if he peeks behind the corner.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?

Jake Skelton
19/23 hp; 5/8 xp
"Presents are supposed to be hidden inside boxes with bows on top, even I knew that. No one want to know they're getting a skeleton! Also, skeletons are my thing." He points at the fortress, "And that oversized jack-o-lantern way over there with the witches flying around it on piney broomstick lookalikes... oh Love your Lawyer Day is going to hear about this!"

Jake pretends to be a regular skeleton, Toy Story style, when the elves come to check things out.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Fritz

Fritz sees the fire start while peering from the window of the barge. "fuckfuckfuckfuck..." he says under his breathe. "Ok folks! It appears our mighty vessel has caught fire. It's my professional opinion we get the hell out of here. Jake, darling, I know you think you're clever, but I suspect you may not want to be here when this whole thing engulfs in flames! Wood-boy, c'mon! Let's go!" He says in a loud whisper.

Fritz then hurries to the door and opens it. He pauses for just long enough to see the one elf standing at the edge of the deck with his back facing Fritz. He thinks about the ways he could deal with him and uncharacteristically decides to run up and knock into the elf. Hoping to knock him into the water while preventing himself from meeting the same fate.

ROLL:
DD+STR - 2d6+0 = 8!

oh boy... (I doubt I could get this to count as a distraction, right? If so then anyone can take a +1 forward to dealing with this guy.)

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Rudolph Pobbs

Rudolph peered around the corner, feeling--well, guilty and responsible were too mild. If he got the others cooked he may as well just throw in his lot with Krampus right now. There had to be some way to fix this.

Discern Realities: 2d6+2 14
What should I be on the lookout for?
What here is useful or valuable to me?
What here is not what it appears to be?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Fritz surprises the elf and gives him a powerful shove before he can even react. The elf loses his balance and silently tumbles off the deck before splashing into the water below. A surprisingly stealthy and clean disposal.

On the quay, the elf hears the splash and looks over the edge again. "What happened?" he yells, and when he doesn't get any reply, he runs for the toll house, yelling "Alarm! Ambush! Help!" along the way. Rudolph spots a large bell next to the tollhouse, and this is presumably what the panicking elf wants to ring. Rudolph could intercept him, and prevent him from waking the entire town with the alarm bells, or run for the rope the elf undid and lower it for the others on the barge.

The standing figure in the cage surprises Rudolph by suddenly speaking. The voice is old, and sounds very confused. "Huh? Wot'sda' 'e sayin'? Wot's 'appenin'?" Rudolph recognizes the voice. It's Comet, another courier, and a veteran at that. Rudolph, how well do you know Comet?

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Jake Skelton
19/23 hp; 5/8 xp
Jake stands back up and points at the alarm, "That is your funeral bell, fool. Signal the Harvester at your own risk."

Cast a Spell (cause fear): 2d6+2 13
Casting it on the bell, getting in range of it if necessary.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
HP: 19/24 | LV: 1 | XP: | 6/7
HAUNTS

Edward stood there and watched impassively while the boat set on fire...

"Hmmm... well that's a problem." He mutters to himself. Well, he was invisible right now... well technically anyway. The cold didn't effect him, so he could jump into the water... Though he might still drown if he can't get back out of it.... There had to be something on the boat to get onto the dock. It would be madness otherwise. He couldn't risk dropping the glamour, that could end badly. Determined not to burn to death Edward looks through the ship for something to get onto the dock with.

- - -
Discern Realities +WIS: 2d6+0 7
What here is useful or valuable to me?

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Rudolph Pobbs

The halfling froze in indecision, but in the end there was really no other option. He broke from cover and ran to the edge of the quay, unlooping the rope and tossing its end down. "Hurry!" he barked at those down below. He cast a look back at old Comet; make it just a few more hours, Rudolph thought, and we can come back for you.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Fritz

After pushing the guy into the water Fritz is momentarily frozen with the surprise of his sudden bravery. He snaps out of it when he hears Rudolph yell to him. Fritz goes to catch the rope and secure it somewhere to the barge.

ROLL:
DD+DEX = 2d6+2 = 10!

Fritz effortless catches the rope and ties down to the railing on the barge then attempts to climb across it to the quay.

ROLL:
DD+STR = 2d6+0 = 5!

Oh no! haha. Someone catch me!

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

The Judge

Damage 1d8 | Armour 4 | HP 25/25 XP 7

Fire. The Judge didn't care much for fire, being made of wood and all. It wasn't as if he were an animate strawman or a kindling golem, he didn't burst into flames on contact, but there was enough of an instinctual fear of flame that came from his nature as a wooden man that made him happy to get out of the path of the fire.

As he prepared to leave the barge, he saw the little one slip from the rope, and without thinking, reached out to grab him. Fleshy folk never did do well when submerged in ice water.

Defy Danger +DEX: 2d6 4 :v: +1 xp

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Edward spooks through the barge, looking for something useful, but really, what is there on a barge that you'd use in a case like this? Buckets, if you wanted to lower them into the water to douse the...

Edward's train of thoughts is interrupted by the sudden heat behind and above him. The smoke starts overwhelming the belowdecks, and he sees the smoldering wood above him. He has time to grab exactly one item here before he goes above deck to rejoin the others, or he's stuck in a makeshift pyre funeral boat.

Edward, choose one item that catches your eye and you grab before leaving the barge;
* a compass
* an unloaded flare gun
* maps and charts
* bells and whistles

Outside, Fritz fumbles as he climbs the rope, and the judge is knocked on his back when he catches the unlucky gnome. The resulting bottleneck at the rope causes Jake to lose a few crucial seconds during his swift ascent to the quay, and when he casts his spell on the alarm, the damage has already been done. The elf has rung it a few times before suddenly seeing a grisly grimace appear in the bell, and lets go of it in a flash. He draws his rapier and panickingly looks around, terrified of being attacked from behind. When he spots Jake and Rudolph near the rope at the sluice, he gives a high-pitched scream and dashes for the tollhouse.

In the village, there is some commotion as it wakes up from an apparently uneasy sleep. Dogs bark, some lights are turned on in houses, and the barking of orders can be heard as well.

Comet is now rattling his cage. "Whas'appenin'? Where's me glasses? I can't see! Whas'appenin', mister guardsman?" he yells to the world in general.

The Judge and Fritz have by now also climbed to the quay.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
HAUNTS

Edward grabbed the maps and charts, presuming that it might highlight a few local landmarks and points of interest. The flames started to become enough of a problem that even the spirit shell had to concede it was becoming dangerous to stay. He headed to the rope and make an attempt to climb.

- - -
Defy Danger +STR: 2d6+1 12
- - -

He scurried up the rope and onto the dock. Ah, much better. Now what was... oh yes, those other people who are at risk of burning to death.

Yay.

Well the bell was rung and the alarm raised, on the plus side, the guard looked pretty spectacular sprinting for the hills. Haha, you just have to laugh.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

The Judge

"Well boys, that's not great," offered the Judge as the beginnings of a hue and cry went up around them. "Best we get on with our business."

They were, after all, off to save Santa. And "save Santa" was a nice way of saying "murder the Krampus."

And when you were looking for the Krampus, it was best to go to the building shaped like his head.

Going to make moves towards the Krampus' palace, sharpish

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Rudolph Pobbs

There's no time to save Comet, and Rudolph is in no shape to do it by himself while the others run for the Krampus' compound. He slaps Fritz on the back, shouts "C'mon!" and follows after The Judge. He'd urge Jake along as well, but... was fairly sure he'd lose a hand if he touched the skeleton.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Fritz
HP: 15/18 | LV: 2 | XP: 1 | Load: 6/9

Fritz blinked and says "Yeah. phew... Looks like we alerted whole damned base. We should probably find some place to hide." Fritz takes a quick look around to get a sense of where would be best to go.

ROLL:
DR - 2d6+1 = 11!

What should I be on the look out for?
What is about to happen?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
The maps Edward picked up are mostly navigational charts (who would need these on the North Pole, anyway?) and various maps of glaciers and shipping routes in these arctic seas. One, however, catches Fritz' attention: it's a map of Yuletide Village, and some information was added in marker. He imagines he could have a closer look at it when the team is safer, but one location jostles his memory in particular: a small inn, called The Ponying Prancer, is marked with a red circle, and somebody jotted down "Clandestine rebel encounters? Reminder to raid before Yuletide" in pencil next to it.

Fritz, it seems you might find help in this Inn, or a place to hide. However, that means sneaking through Yuletide Village, and there's bound to be patrols.

As for what here is not what it seems to be... Krampus' castle looks like it's just a vanity project, but it has moats, and large walls, and a drawbridge, and probably a lot of dark elves. The party could try to sneak in somehow, but Fritz' intuition tells him it might be better to boot the elves out of the Village first, perhaps make contact with these "rebels" during a clandestine encounter.

Everyone, vote whether you'd like to push on towards Castle Krampus regardless, or find some place in the village instead. Regardless of your choice, you're running through hostile territory. Defy Danger with INT if you avoid the patrols by taking the right streets, DEX if you're going by the rooftops, or anything else if you can justify it. The danger here is being found by enemies.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Fritz

"While ol'Kramp is our main goal, we should probably hook up with these resistance fellas. They may have more information on what exactly is going on and where the best place to infiltrate the castle. If anything we should warn them of the raid." Fritz says to the group. He was feeling a bit strange. All he wanted to do was run and hide, but he knew that he couldn't.

"Ah- Anyway. I think I remember a way to The Ponying Prancer. There was a way over some houses the guys usta like to take after they've been drinkin' and feelin' invincible. It might be a little hairy, not literally of course, though who the hell knows now, right? Regardless we should be able to avoid anyone that's patrollin' 'bout."

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
HAUNTS

"Agreed, we can do a lot worse then getting some more help. Besides, if the whole town is on high alert, then trying to get into the castle will be very difficult. It should be on high alert as well."

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Rudolph Pobbs

"The Ponying Prancer sounds like our best shot," Rudolph agrees in a quiet whisper. "But how are we going to get up there?" he asks, before looking around for some way to climb up. "It'll get us off the streets but it may not be the quietest option." There's a pointed glance at The Judge and his giant wooden frame.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

The Judge

"Rooftops it is!" said the Judge cheerfully, ignorant of any doubtful of his stealth or finesse.

Climbin' and runnin' (DEX): 2d6 12

Despite the halfling's doubts, the Judge nimbly scaled a wall and began to caper along the eaves with the best of them.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
The five of you head for the rooftops, and beeline for the Ponying Prancer, unhindered by the patrols below. You see squads of dark elves running past, but you are surprised to see the occasional wooden nutcracker soldier amongst them. However, unlike the judge, these do not have any sort of sympathetic features: whoever made them did not even carve an individual face for each of them, which would have given them a certain sense of individuality like the members of the judge's old corps, resorting instead for giving them all a scornful mouth and nose. They do not even have eyes, but just a quickly carved horizontal slit above the crude nose.

These automatons silently trudge along the elves, who use them to break down doors or sheds to raid multiple houses of the village. It seems they are looking for whoever put that barge on fire, and they're willing to throw the citizens outside in the cold of night to do so.

After a few minutes of evading patrols, you arrive at the inn. There is a small square in front of it, but it is deserted. The windows of the inn are illuminated, and you can hear music faintly emanating from within. Making sure there are no further patrols, you approach the only entrance you can see, the front door, and enter.

You are immediately struck by the warmth of the hearthstone on the side, and the fragrance of glühwein mingles freely with the aroma of old wood, spilled pints and sweat. An old woman, a gnome, is cleaning glasses behind the bar, and although there are half a dozen other patrons, the small inn is not too crowded for all of you to enter.

The bartender smiles at Fritz when he enters, and says: "Hello there! Welcome to-"

She freezes mid-sentence. The other patrons, too, suddenly fall silent when the Judge enters. There is a tense feeling in the air, and a confused look washes across the bartender's face, who motions Fritz over and whispers: "Why the hell have you got one of Kramp's automatons with you, boy?"

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

The Judge

Rooftop-running wasn't the Judge's specialty, but he managed a fair approximation of finesse. He almost lost his step, however, when he saw the Krampus' wooden soldiers.

They evoked...something in him. Nutcrackers weren't built for feelings, for the more delicate aspects of life that fleshy ones took for granted. But these automatons made him react. The crudeness of them. The carelessness. How they were tools more than beings. How they were a poor copy, a parody of the Nutcracker Corps. How they were an insult to him and his brothers and the Little Grandmother and his queen and everything that he was and held important.

Thus did a Nutcracker Corpsman, for the first time ever and with no words with which to identify it, feel rage.

"Bite your tongue," grated the Judge. He slapped at one breast with a wooden hand, clattering over where his medals had been painted on. It had been a long time and many battles since he had been freshly painted, resplendent in his regimental colors. However, he was still unmistakably what he was.

"I"m no Krampus tool. I'm a proud Mariinskiy Nutcracker, of the Mariinskiy Nutcracker Corps. Serial #2475JUDDG, aka The Judge."

Vulpes Vulpes fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Feb 26, 2016

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Rudolph Pobbs

"Everybody calm down," Rudolph says, holding his hands out towards the other patrons and Nutcracker. "Look at him. Does he look like those half-formed bastards out there? Please, we're hurt and looking for help," he says to the bartender, indicating their bloody clothes and general disarray. "We've come to help you take back the North Pole, and we have to do it soon because they know rebels meet here, and they'll be coming to shut you down."

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
The bartender is surprised at the sudden outburst from the Judge. Then, she slowly says: "Yeah, I see it now. The Kramp's automatons don't use words like 'I'. Nor words like 'proud'." She turns her face back to the glass in her hands, and continues, while nonchalantly wiping it: "But I have no idea what you're talking about. There are no rebels here. Certainly not in the wine cellar." She winks conspiratorially, and your gazes follow hers, until you rest your eyes on an open hatch behind the bar, with stairs leading down.

The bartender goes back to whistling a jolly tune as she serves another drink for a tipsy gnome on the other end of the bar.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
HAUNTS

Given the number of people in here, Edward can feel his cloak fall away. Well at least they got through without anyone dying or anything. He heads over to the cellar, peering down into the darkness. Nothing like a good dank cellar to feel right at home in. Gesturing to the others, he begins to descend the steps.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Jake Skelton
19/23 hp; 5/8 xp
Jake wanted to just attack Krampus and try to finish the adventure before next Yuletide, but goes along with the new plan. After being subtly direction to the rebel's secret meeting place, he equally subtly makes his way there.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Fritz

Fritz could have sworn he recognized the old woman. "You guys go ahead. I'm going to see what I can find out up here," he whispered to the group. He then walked up to the bar and hopped up onto a stool.

"Sorry about our toy soldier givin' ya'll a spook. He's a good fellow though." He smiled then asked "So... you wouldn't happen to have a nice warm cup of tea for an old gnome?"

As Fritz sipped his tea he subtly looked around the room to get a sense of things.

ROLL:
DR - 2d6+1=9!

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
The party creeps down the stairs to the cellar, and are immediately greeted by approximately twenty, maybe thirty heads that turn, with half as many instinctively placing their hands on the hilts of their swords, daggers, or reaching for arrows. They are gnomes and halflings, but surprisingly tall, and all have a gruff and grim look to them, with battle scars adorning their badly shaved faces, and leather armor looking like a patchwork of looted or improvised parts. At the back of the cellar, however, an authoritative voice yells at them to be at ease. There are a few seconds of pushing and shoving as the apparent leader makes his way to you, and when the two closest to you part, you see the leader is a middle aged winter elf, whose eye patch immediately catches your attention. He gives you an appreciative look, then simply nods and stretches out his hand. "More recruits, I see. And just in time. We were about to discuss the battle plans for tonight, so we'll have to keep the introductions short. I'm John Cobra, also known as Big Hoss. And the fine men behind me are the bravest and the best of the Elf Liberation Front, as you know."

He then moves back to the front of the cellar, where you see a large map of Winter Village has been attached to the wall. Four places have been marked on it: Miss Santa's villa, Santa's Workshop, The Kitchens, and Castle Krampus itself.

--

Upstairs, Fritz observed the other patrons. They seemed not much different from the people who normally frequent a bar on Yuletide eve: drinking alone, looking mildly depressed, and all in varying stages of sobriety.

One, however, is wearing a hood that covers most of his face. He is staring down at his drink, and Fritz just barely catches the hooded figure glancing up at him and quickly looking away again.

Fritz suddenly feels watched.

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Rudolph Pobbs

Rudolph reaches up and shakes Hoss' hand. "Rudolph, sir, Northern Courier. I can't speak for my fellows but I am at your service." He mingles into the crowd, gladhanding and trading quick gossip with faces he recognizes.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Fritz

Fritz continues to panic internally a bit. He composes himself and turns to the bartender and waves her over. "First off this tea is unexpectedly fantastic!" he says. He then leans in a bit. "Now, what can you tell me about the gentleman in the hood over in the back?" he whispers doing his best not to make it obvious.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

The Judge

"Mariinskiy Nutcracker Corps. Serial #2475JUDDG, The Judge," said, well, the Judge. "Built to destroy, ready to rampage." He tapped the Krampus' castle on the map. "How can we get in and put this dog down?"

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
HAUNTS

"Personally I'm guessing we'll need to do a bunch of menial side targets to be able to assault the main fortress. That's normally the way these things go, isn't it? Cut off their supply lines, draw out their army and pull them away, assault while everyone's distracted and attempt an assassination."

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Big Hoss nods at Edward's comment, and points at the map. "That's exactly it, soldier! We have identified three of Krampus' lieutenants in town tonight. We figure that if we take out one or two of them, we'll have a shot at securing the village and organising an assault on the castle."

He points at a villa, just outside the town, near a lake. "This used to be Mrs. Santa's rural home, but the Krampus evicted her, and now Lucky the Leprechaun conducts his financial operations from here. Kill him, and we throw their funds in disarray, most likely upsetting their mercenaries and causing unrest within the dark elf ranks as well."

"This," he says while pointing at Santa's workshop, "is where Black Pete oversees the construction of automatons. If we strike at the workshop, I'm positive they can be deactivated, and we can use it to throw together some quick shock troops or siege engines of our own."

Finally, he points at the gingerbread kitchens at the town square. "And this is where Count Chocula created a mess hall for the army. If we seize it, we have the necessary rations to besiege the castle and starve them out if necessary."

Big Hoss crosses his arms and looks at the fine troops in front of him. "Now, we're a bit low on manpower until we get the ball rolling and other brave citizens are convinced to dedicate themselves to our cause. If I can get a few volunteers to perform a surprise attack on any of these targets, I'll take the rest of E.L.F. to strike the other designated positions before they know what hit 'em. Who is willing?" He rests his gaze on the Judge, Rudolph, Edward and Jake, and says "We have some extra supplies for those to help them," as he motions to five wrapped gifts on the counter.

--

"Why, thank you, dear!" The bartender leans close to Fritz and says "Y'know, I'm not really sure. He's been coming and going every so often for a few months now. Not a big talker, he ain't."

The hooded figure suddenly gets up, buttons his coat and briskly steps towards the door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Rudolph Pobbs

"An army can't fight a war on an empty stomach!" Rudolph said, trying to ignore the rumbling of his own belly. He looks to his fellows, sure he'll find agreement there--and notices The Judge. "Well, one army can. I suppose we'd better do something about it, and hit the Workshop. Even if we roust all the elves and mercenaries they can just crank out dozens more of those false nutcrackers by the hour."

• Locked thread