Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
Trios 19 15.32%
Christian vs Kaz 4 3.23%
Arcade Anarchy 96 77.42%
Tay and Shida vs Nyla and The Bunny 5 4.03%
Total: 124 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

DeathChicken posted:

Pretty sure Randy Orton has had at least two

If The Fiend can exist as a formless entity capable of possessing multiple people, they can do a dream sequence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Vince MechMahon posted:

The same for all fictional TV shows.

AEW plays loose with it sometimes but they still seem to stick to their original rule that it needs to make sense for there to be cameras and for the audience to see this. A dream sequence would blow that apart.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

forkboy84 posted:

The difference is AEW does have a head creative voice, Tony Khan, and his word is final. And he has used it from what I understand. Where as WCW there was the dreaded creative control clause in contracts, and also it was a different generation where as I holdover from earlier days there's a heavy idea of looking out for yourself and protecting your spot and the AEW locker room is less selfish like that. You might say their wrestlers are marks but there are other upsides to a chiller locker room.

on their various podcasts, tony schiavone and bischoff have talked a lot about how poorly the turner executives ran things back then and how hostile many of them where towards pro wrestling on their programming. Thats a pretty large factor in wcw's failure.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Vince MechMahon posted:

If you can believe in an undead wizard cowboy who also leads a satanic cult and is a biker on weekends that controls electricity, and has a brother who's either a fire demon, serial killer, or corporate stooge, you can believe in a dream sequence.

Vince MechMahon posted:

If The Fiend can exist as a formless entity capable of possessing multiple people, they can do a dream sequence.

All of those things suck real bad and the last one in particular has made it absolutely impossible to take its respective television seriously at all.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Gumball Gumption posted:

AEW plays loose with it sometimes but they still seem to stick to their original rule that it needs to make sense for there to be cameras and for the audience to see this. A dream sequence would blow that apart.

Jericho dreamed that the cameras were there.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

MJeff posted:

All of those things suck real bad and the last one in particular has made it absolutely impossible to take its respective television seriously at all.

Cause it's WWE and the execution is terrible. They would have botched the segment as it existed too. Wrestling is a fake TV show and they should have fun with the format.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Vince MechMahon posted:

WWE and AEW are two different companies that have established different rules for themselves.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
On the other end, Tony letting Hardy do the teleporting gimmick in his debut is something he's said he wishes he had said no to at the time. He's new at this and learning as he goes.

Cody's not on my radar for not taking a loss he should have except Archer for the TNT title, but that ended up going to a pretty great place. I think Omega's world title reign is a bit hampered by not going over Mox. He's a heel champ, so he's going to cheat, but first Callis and now Good Brothers. Omega has a well-protected finish. Mox could take 1 whole loss.

Stadium Stampede
Britt/Rosa Lights Out
Silver/Reynolds/Hangman vs MJF/Santana/Ortiz
Young Bucks vs Hung Winged Angel
Riho vs Serena Deeb

EDIT: Yeah, I need to stress The Fiend is absolute garbage and anything that can be described as "It's no different from The Fiend" is also absolute garbage.

SonicRulez fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Apr 5, 2021

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Vince MechMahon posted:

If you can believe in an undead wizard cowboy who also leads a satanic cult and is a biker on weekends that controls electricity, and has a brother who's either a fire demon, serial killer, or corporate stooge, you can believe in a dream sequence.

Vince MechMahon posted:

That is all from WWE, not AEW.

and the dinner song and dance was awesome.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Gumball Gumption posted:

One day, Triple H will wake up on-screen and this wall all have been his dream. He'll then review the cards for the coming week where The Young Bucks are feuding with each other on Main Event and Kenny is about to fail in his third attempt to win the Cruiserweight Title.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

SonicRulez posted:

On the other end, Tony letting Hardy do the teleporting gimmick in his debut is something he's said he wishes he had said no to at the time. He's new at this and learning as he goes.

Even for that, they came up with a (real shaky) explanation for it after the fact.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

StarkRavingMad posted:

Even for that, they came up with a (real shaky) explanation for it after the fact.

What was it because I must have missed that?

I just accepted it because it was immediately as covid hit and they had to film in an empty arena, so gently caress it do whatever you want to make it entertaining even if it’s silly as hell.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

History Comes Inside! posted:

What was it because I must have missed that?

I just accepted it because it was immediately as covid hit and they had to film in an empty arena, so gently caress it do whatever you want to make it entertaining even if it’s silly as hell.

He wasn't teleporting those were holographic projections from his drone.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

If WWE can make a white supremacist motorcycle enthusiast into a star then by golly AEW should be able to do it too

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

JUNGLE BOY posted:

If WWE can make a white supremacist motorcycle enthusiast into a star then by golly AEW should be able to do it too

Yeah, yeah, but your bookers were so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn't stop to think if they should.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

AEW has the best bathroom door openings in the business

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Ok we all know WWE sucks. So instead I'll use the entirety of Lucha Underground as my argument that a dream sequence is not out of place in the genre of wrestling. One of their wrestlers turned into a CGI dragon and flew away once.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Lucha Underground also had murders. You can do anything if you set the rules for it early enough, LU established itself as a telenovella with magic and crazy poo poo really early. I keep meaning to pick up LU again where I left off in season two but there are so many sex offenders on that show I don't know that I can bring myself to go back.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
AEW has lost enough viewers already they don't have to get cancelled off their biggest outlet after one year like Lucha Underground.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

The teleportation was apparently Jericho's idea:

quote:

"When I first was going to debut as Broken Matt, I’d already had my mind, I didn’t think teleportation was a good idea. I know how Tony Khan is, he is the current smart wrestling fan and he thinks in that same vein, so I love interacting and talking with him. When I first [debuted], Chris Jericho was the one that said, ‘Hey I think we should do this’ and really wanted to do it this certain way and he had it set and I was like, ‘Cool man, we’ll try it. Let’s give it a shot’ and we did it. I was worried about the reaction it’d have because these are wrestling fans who are looking for more of a sports-centric feel. I love the fact that Jericho really put his reputation out there and he said, ‘No let’s do this, we’ll do this, it’ll work with Broken Matt.’ And he really tried and I was super happy that he did give me that opportunity. Once again, looking back in hindsight, now that I know the AEW audience, I think that the best course of action is to stay based in reality, more than anything else. I love pro wrestling and I love how it allows you to go outside the parameters of basic reality and storytelling but I think at AEW, our audience, our fanbase they just appreciate it staying more reality-based."

https://www.mandatory.com/wrestlezone/news/1228219-matt-hardy-teleportation-reality-based

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Your way leads to Christian vs Kaz. My way leads to Orange Cassidy getting to recreate fast five in Sue's van on Dynamite. Choose wisely.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Listening to the Varsity Blonds Unrestricted, and it's funny to me that Tony Kahn is roaming the halls of AEW, forming tag teams on a whim.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
they don't even like each other!

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Vince MechMahon posted:

Ok we all know WWE sucks. So instead I'll use the entirety of Lucha Underground as my argument that a dream sequence is not out of place in the genre of wrestling. One of their wrestlers turned into a CGI dragon and flew away once.

Lucha Underground is still also not AEW.

This is more or less like saying, "Well, why aren't there zombies on The Office? There are zombies on Walking Dead and both shows are on TV!"

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_5loVV_52U

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Vince MechMahon posted:

The problem isn't wrestling, it's AEW. Stories don't need to make logical sense but they need to make sense in relation to the rest of the story. AEW defined their rules already and dream sequences are not a part of it. Lucha Underground defined their rules and made CGI dragons part of the world they're in. The entire reason WWE sucks is because they want one segment to have very realistic real world logic and then the second segment works on cartoon logic or involves magic. It makes no sense and makes every story mean nothing because you can't understand the stakes.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Tay swapping in for Anna in BTE segments :neckbeard:

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Butcher is looking really trim these days.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Pylons posted:

Butcher is looking really trim these days.

He would know how to trim the fat

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
:rip: Five's dick

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

AEW hired a new social media manager. This guy worked/works with Conrad Thompson.

https://twitter.com/evanpolisher/status/1379066075669745671?s=20

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Vince MechMahon posted:

Lucha Underground is also not AEW.

Each individual program has their own internal rules, and nothing AEW has done would indicate that a dream sequence would be internally consistent for them. “It’s all fake TV anyway” doesn’t mean you can just do whatever you want, whenever you want. If something is going to be creatively successful, it has to have its own self-imposed rules.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Magic garbage in wrestling rules

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
looking forward to brandon cutler turning into an actual dragon

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

AEW is saving the use of a dream sequence for when Cody wrestles a shadowy figure named Legacy for 45 minutes across different NWA and WCW arenas, with Downstait playing his theme the entire time

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

JUNGLE BOY posted:

AEW is saving the use of a dream sequence for when Cody wrestles a shadowy figure named Legacy for 45 minutes across different NWA and WCW arenas, with Downstait playing his theme the entire time

this sounds like a video game level

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I'm very happy Karl Anderson now prefaces Good Brothers segments with a warning.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

SonicRulez posted:

I'm very happy Karl Anderson now prefaces Good Brothers segments with a warning.

Me too I now know to put down my phone and listen intently to the best segments of Being the Elite

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

SonicRulez posted:

I'm sure it's convenient for those who aren't cool enough to hang with the Biz Cliz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

The rule I try to go by with AEW is that everything shown on the show is a thing that is happening in the reality of the show. Strange things can happen but only if a cameraman at Daily's Place could capture it. It's a realistic presentation of a fictional/fantasy sport, in other words.

This allows for Hardy weirdness on the basis that in the reality of the show Broken Matt has magical powers. It definitely allows for Abadon, especially with how commentary treat her. But it wouldn't, for example, allow for a match where suddenly everyone's an action figure, or Kenny was playing Moxley for an episode with no acknowledgement or explanation. Nobody pulls a Jeff Hardy where you hear their inner monologue.

Contrast this with Lucha Underground, which was basically a fantasy telenovela, and thus obeyed the rules of drama rather than sports. Anything could happen on that show including time travel.