Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Morby posted:

I'm definitely seeing a slightly lower overall battery life with DS4 vs DS3. The DS3 lasts me for 2-3 days. DS4 I have to charge at least every other day. Not a big deal since I have 2 controllers, but certainly noticeable. I'm sure some things could be patched in, like toggling the LED on/off. I still love overarching design, though. Controller feels fantastic! I wish they'd make it fully compatible with PS3. I've always liked DS3 just fine, but there is definitely a difference and I prefer DS4 now a whole lot more. DS4 is like they took the best aspects if the Vita controller and just made it better.

I swore I read online somewhere about people putting the ds3 battery in the ds4. But then the other poster mentioned the new controller having 1000 mah so who knows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoota_McG
Sep 8, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

I guess that single hasn't made it to Canada yet.

It came to Canada, but now it is sold out. Why does everybody want one so badly?

As far as the DS4 battery life, I don't think the LED has much of an effect on it. I've heard the DS4 has less latency than the DS3 did so that is a more likely culprit for the significant difference in life.

SolitarySolidarity
Dec 29, 2012

Evolve. Control. Combine.

Shoota_McG posted:

As far as the DS4 battery life, I don't think the LED has much of an effect on it. I've heard the DS4 has less latency than the DS3 did so that is a more likely culprit for the significant difference in life.

How about the touch pad?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

SolitarySolidarity posted:

How about the touch pad?
What games even use that though? I was just thinking today about what a waste of space it is right now.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

What games even use that though? I was just thinking today about what a waste of space it is right now.

Um, everything? It's far from a waste - in games like Killzone it's basically 4 extra buttons. In AC4 it's the map button and let's you move around on the map and use zoom functions. Infamous will let you use it to put your finger on when Delsin uses a fingerprint scanner.

I look forward to games using it as 4 or 5 additional inputs.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
Warframe uses the touchpad well too. Your powers are mapped to swiping in different directions. The controls would be a lot more awkward without it.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Christoff posted:

I swore I read online somewhere about people putting the ds3 battery in the ds4. But then the other poster mentioned the new controller having 1000 mah so who knows

You can get an 1800mAh battery that will connect to a DS4. Maybe that's what you're thinking of.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Admin Note: Do not doxx if dead.
The touchpad will probably be left to gimmicks/extra buttons for the most part, but that you can use it as a mouse on a computer for games that don't have proper gamepad support is utterly glorious.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I dunno why more games haven't made good use of it; the DS4-to-XInput drivers on the PC have shown that the touchpad's fidelity is pretty drat good. At the very least, any game with a map should incorporate it for navigating the map. AC4's implementation feels really janky and slow, though, for some reason.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Wasn't there an article where someone literally cut the trace to the led and the battery life went up to like 10 hours or was I dreaming?

Also, Eurotruck Simulator 2 on the PC with the DS4 is amazing.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Puddin posted:

Wasn't there an article where someone literally cut the trace to the led and the battery life went up to like 10 hours or was I dreaming?

I haven't bothered to set up my DS4 for use on the PC yet, but this may push me over the edge.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

404notfound posted:

I dunno why more games haven't made good use of it; the DS4-to-XInput drivers on the PC have shown that the touchpad's fidelity is pretty drat good. At the very least, any game with a map should incorporate it for navigating the map. AC4's implementation feels really janky and slow, though, for some reason.

Using it as a mouse in War Thunder's menu is so good that I have no idea why it isn't used like that in the PS4's browser.

Puddin posted:

I think I read the same thing. The DS4 uses insanely powerful LEDs, but has to diffuse them a lot.

Hopefully Sony will convince the Euro Truck Simulator 2 guys to release a PS4 port. It's such a relaxing game.

chaymie
Apr 5, 2008

I recommend this for people with DS4 battery issues. The pack is great for carrying around and charging your phone as well.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Admin Note: Do not doxx if dead.

Chamber 9 posted:

I recommend this for people with DS4 battery issues. The pack is great for carrying around and charging your phone as well.

Aren't you going to be far better off and spend a ton less money by just buying a big rear end micro usb cable and/or a USB wall plug?

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

StarkRavingMad posted:

I haven't bothered to set up my DS4 for use on the PC yet, but this may push me over the edge.

Its crazy easy, go here http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-DS4-To-XInput-Wrapper, install the program plug in your controller, you're done.

chaymie
Apr 5, 2008

Stux posted:

Aren't you going to be far better off and spend a ton less money by just buying a big rear end micro usb cable and/or a USB wall plug?

I bought it for my Note 2 a year ago. It comes in handy often. I have a power strip my DS4, phone, and ipad are plugged into. Obviously you can buy a big rear end micro USB cable much cheaper. I'm just saying it's an option for people who would like a high capacity multi-purpose battery pack at a reasonable price.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

That loving Sned posted:

Hopefully Sony will convince the Euro Truck Simulator 2 guys to release a PS4 port. It's such a relaxing game.

Is there anything to this besides wishful thinking?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Stux posted:

The touchpad will probably be left to gimmicks/extra buttons for the most part, but that you can use it as a mouse on a computer for games that don't have proper gamepad support is utterly glorious.

The nice thing about it is that the touchpad allows the option of having gimmicky poo poo or extra buttons without forcing people to develop around it. DS4 is just a core controller that happens to have a thing in the middle that developers could get imaginative with, without sacrificing anything. It seems pretty useless now but in the end I think it will be nice that it's there. Even if no one ever did anything cool with it, it's not in the way at all and can just function as an extra button.

I have no idea why you can't use it as a mouse on the PS4's browser though wtf.

Puddin posted:

I don't know for sure,but this has to be right. People keep saying that the led has nothing to do with it because leds are efficient or whatever, but how much battery drain would an led cause after 6 hours? There is no way that fog light on the front of the controller isn't crapping all over the battery life.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Jan 20, 2014

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The touchpad seems like a cool idea and using it as a cursor control especially (it worked all right in AC4) but I'm not sure how well swipe gestures as commands on it will pan out. In Killzone I would often switch to the wrong OWL mode, and in the Injustice minigames I had to turn off the touchpad because it just wouldn't register my swipes a lot of the time. Or maybe I'm just "stupid controller user .gif" material because I'd also end up activating the touchpad button command accidentally.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I'm fine with it pretty much just acting as a couple of extra buttons to the controller. Then again I think console controllers could just use a few more buttons anyways. But I played a Holy Priest in WoW :v:

Follow That Fish!
Mar 8, 2007
Chaser of the stray sea-life, clad in a trench and a fedora.

Soul Glo posted:

There's $40 Rayman Legends next month. :shobon:

Anyone who hasn't played Rayman Legends yet needs to give it at least a look. I'm not even very interested in platformers, but the new Rayman games (both Origins and Legends) are insanely good and silly and genuinely fun. Even more so in co-op.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Fellatio del Toro posted:

I'm fine with it pretty much just acting as a couple of extra buttons to the controller. Then again I think console controllers could just use a few more buttons anyways. But I played a Holy Priest in WoW :v:

This is what the touchpad will lead to - simultaneous PC/PS4 release of WoW 2.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Picked up FIFA and found out I'm still not very good at football. :saddowns: There's also ten pages of advanced controls, and I have no idea what half of the stuff on there does, let alone remember which button or button combination does what.

Mostly I'm just having the same problem I used to have when playing Pro Evolution Soccer on the PS2, which is the fact that my defense falls apart and my players flail around like headless chickens as soon as the opposing team gets even one guy anywhere near my box. I should probably just try to memorize the buttons for the "stop your defenders from being poo poo" command, I guess.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
Pretty sure I'm gonna have the same issue. I suck a fair bit at the demo. I'm tempted to change it to the 2-button setup, but that feels like a copout.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Trine 2 uses the touchpad a good deal for your character-specific abilities.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Puddin posted:

Somebody did this, but they only tested battery life while the controller was just sitting there unused so it tells you almost nothing about how much extra battery life you would get during normal usage. It would certainly be nowhere near the 10 hours gained while doing nothing.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

evilalien posted:

Somebody did this, but they only tested battery life while the controller was just sitting there unused so it tells you almost nothing about how much extra battery life you would get during normal usage. It would certainly be nowhere near the 10 hours gained while doing nothing.

This is totally backwards and is the most accurate test to determine if disabling the LED improved battery life because it eliminates the randomness of the inputs and the controller-console communications.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Obsurveyor posted:

This is totally backwards and is the most accurate test to determine if disabling the LED improved battery life because it eliminates the randomness of the inputs and the controller-console communications.

It does absolutely nothing to tell you how much improvement you would see while playing a game because idle power usage without the lights is of course dwarfed by the power usage with the LED lights, but you have no basis to compare led light power usage to the other power drainers which most likely use more power which means you would not see anywhere near 10 hours of battery life improvement.

If all the test can show is that disabling the LEDs improves battery, then it was pretty pointless as that much was obvious. The amount of improvement is what matters. A better test would be to actually measure the power draw of the lights while powered and using math to determine what percentage of the battery it uses up during the 8-12 hours a controller lasts on a single charge while gaming.

evilalien fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jan 20, 2014

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Is it really necessary to have a 3 page discussion about the controller every time someone bitches about the battery life? It makes the thread horrible to follow for anyone who wants relevant news and discussion.

I let it slide the first 10 times, but drat. Make a DS4 battery life thread or something.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Math You posted:

Is it really necessary to have a 3 page discussion about the controller every time someone bitches about the battery life? It makes the thread horrible to follow for anyone who wants relevant news and discussion.

I let it slide the first 10 times, but drat. Make a DS4 battery life thread or something.

There really isn't much in the way of news and discussion of the controller's battery life (or lack thereof) is basically the definition of relevant to a PS4 General Discussion thread. Maybe you can learn to just skim posts and not get mad about people talking about things?

Edit: I just want to mention how much of a pain in the rear end it is to accept friend requests. It takes at least three button presses, and sometimes decides to spend 10-20 seconds waiting after you accept it. Granted, there probably will never be a time I'm accepting 60 friend requests in one go, but drat, it could be streamlined a bit.

EC fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jan 20, 2014

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Math You posted:

You'll be begging for some battery chat when all people will post is "Where are the GAMES?!?" in a couple of months.

Begging.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Raffles posted:

You'll be begging for some battery chat when all people will post is "Where are the GAMES?!?" in a couple of months.

Begging.

Are you telling me you aren't excited for Thi4f? :shepface:

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Raffles posted:

Begging.

In a couple of months is when the games start coming out. :colbert:

MGS: GZ, MLB The Show and Infamous. March is gonna be pretty rad.

e: Assuming The Show launches when usual.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jan 20, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Shoota_McG posted:

It came to Canada, but now it is sold out. Why does everybody want one so badly?

That was a joke because he said One Direction.

I've seen the cameras around in Walmart and stuff, they're not as sold out here.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Man, I hope we get some good indie games soon, because it looks like in terms of releases, we get Tomb Raider remake any day now, then nothing until end of Feb.

Shoota_McG
Sep 8, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

That was a joke because he said One Direction.

I've seen the cameras around in Walmart and stuff, they're not as sold out here.

My bad. I haven't seen any in Edmonton in a while, but before I got my PS4 the Best Buy had piles of them. I still don't see why people are clamouring over it (or Kinect for that matter, even if it is a more advanced thing).

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Let's see:

Resogun DLC coming at some point...

Housemarque working on a new PS4 game.

And has anyone else had intermittent recent issues where they launch a game and it launches and you get sound but your screen is black? A reboot usually fixes it. It's only JUST started happening, but happened about 3 times recently. (2 different games. Trine 2 and NFS:Rivals) (One Digital, one Disc)

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
I already bought Don't Starve on steam and never really got into it, but for some reason I am loving the PS4 version of the game I just can't put it down.

And for it to be free for all PS+ subscribers is well worth the subscription.

Managed to survive 24 days Winter is HARSE however I think that my next run will be a hell of alot better because I feel I can actually prepare for it

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

VoLaTiLe posted:

I already bought Don't Starve on steam and never really got into it, but for some reason I am loving the PS4 version of the game I just can't put it down.

And for it to be free for all PS+ subscribers is well worth the subscription.

Managed to survive 24 days Winter is HARSE however I think that my next run will be a hell of alot better because I feel I can actually prepare for it

Yeah you can't really over prepare for winter.

It lasts 15 days. If you are still playing as the default character, don't shave. It is like wearing a hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Maybe they aren't manufacturing cameras because there's almost zero functionality for it unless you like broadcasting the sounds of your little brother or your roommates or whatever to your BF4 squad 24/7.

• Locked thread