Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

aphid_licker posted:

So what's the contingency plan for your fuel cladding being on fire :v:

Something something running shoes?

:rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GROPlRul-2U

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

aphid_licker posted:

:ohno:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

aphid_licker posted:

Hope primary containment holds. The reactor's a write-off, but it's not too late to prevent radioisotope release.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

aphid_licker posted:

suck-starting a Makarov

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

aphid_licker posted:

decent life insurance, i'd suppose

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

In class I was taught that CANDUs (and I assume other types of plant) have 5 barriers between fission products and the public:

1. The fuel pellet structure (is surprisingly good at keeping gaseous fission products contained as long as it doesn't melt)
2. The fuel bundle
3. The primary heat transport loop's pressure boundary
4. The containment structure
5. The exclusion zone

So if the fuel sheath is on fire you have 3 of those remaining. You're fine :v:

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

BattleMaster posted:

In class I was taught that CANDUs (and I assume other types of plant) have 5 barriers between fission products and the public:

1. The fuel pellet structure (is surprisingly good at keeping gaseous fission products contained as long as it doesn't melt)
2. The fuel bundle
5. The exclusion zone

For the cladding to be on fire there'd need to be an oxidizer, so intentional sabotage aside either the primary loop is full of air (i.e. breached and all the water leaked out) or the core is hot enough to strip oxygen from the water, in which case we're already in meltdowntown.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

rndmnmbr posted:

The downside to zirconium cladding is, when it gets too hot, it will aggressively strip the oxygen out of water and leave lots of diatomic hydrogen behind to blow up an already overstressed reactor. Then you get exclusion zones, unintentional wildlife preserves, maps labeled 'here there be dragons', etc.

Worst parts the hipsters that show up 30 years later.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Mustached Demon posted:

Worst parts the hipsters that show up 30 years later.

Convince them the perfect spot to take selfies is beside the elephant foot, problem will solve itself.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Wibla posted:

I linked this to a friend who works at the Institute for Energy Technology in :norway: and said "You'll be 100% cooler at work if you have a mug like this" ... and he counters with "hah, at least I've had coffee from a mug like that before, as I've been there :smuggo: "

loving smug (nuke) engineers :sun:

Aside from vintage mugs, the National Museum of Nuclear Science & History in Albuquerque does, or did, sell a hyperboloid mug, but they don’t have an online store.

Still, ærospace museums have ’em beat.

They do have an online store and I’ve seen it in other museums’ gift shoppes with their own branding.

I have to give an honourable mention to this one:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Those mugs are classic "look cool, not enough coffee, and will tip the gently caress over" shapes.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Get a flight rated Space Coffee cup! It's only $ 499.95

https://spaceware.co/products/flight-space-cup

quote:

A real Flight Certified Space Coffee Cup. What does that mean? Well, it means that this is the original shape, material, and specifications that have been approved by NASA for flight aboard the International Space Station.

Keep in mind that this is not for everyday use and most definitely not dishwasher safe. Think of this as a bit of art, science, and space history all in one. The cup is 3D printed using the SLA process (UV light + a bath of special resin). So when you break it down it's space, 3D printing, coffee, and fluid mechanics. Enjoy.

Each cup is printed with an incremented number, there are very few currently in existence.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

oohhboy posted:

Get a flight rated Space Coffee cup! It's only $ 499.95

https://spaceware.co/products/flight-space-cup

There's no obvious way to /drink/ from that aboard the ISS, so what would they use it for?

Is it just a shape of some other component that was approved for use aboard the ISS, and the guys at Spaceware decided, "Hey, lets slap a handle and a stand on it and sell it for $500?"

Edit: Huh, I stand corrected, the shape was used for the Capillary Beverage Experiment

And there's video of prototypes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pk7LcugO3zg

maltesh has a new favorite as of 09:54 on Oct 12, 2019

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

silentsnack posted:

For the cladding to be on fire there'd need to be an oxidizer, so intentional sabotage aside either the primary loop is full of air (i.e. breached and all the water leaked out) or the core is hot enough to strip oxygen from the water, in which case we're already in meltdowntown.

Or it's an air cooled reactor :science:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Vando posted:

how fast does a nair-cooled reactor make your hair fall out

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Captain Foo posted:

it's ok as long as you lean a bit to the side

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Vando posted:

Well yeah there's that possibility, but the prior post was referring to CANDU (and light-water BWR/PWR) which use water as both a neutron moderator and to convey a lot of heat to turbines for generating electricity. If one of those reactors is full of air without a full core offload, it's bound to be a rather exciting time.

If you've intentionally built an air-cooled reactor outside of a physics lab then you've got government backing and/or you're so criminally wealthy that "consequences" do not apply; either of which means you can irradiate the landscape/populace as much as you like.

silentsnack has a new favorite as of 23:03 on Oct 12, 2019

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
I was responding to the part before the CANDU stuff, and was referring to a specific historic instance of oh dear our fuel appears to be on fire

Vando has a new favorite as of 00:53 on Oct 13, 2019

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

silentsnack posted:

Well yeah there's that possibility, but the prior post was referring to CANDU (and light-water BWR/PWR) which use water as both a neutron moderator and to convey a lot of heat to turbines for generating electricity. If one of those reactors is full of air without a full core offload, it's bound to be a rather exciting time.

If you've intentionally built an air-cooled reactor outside of a physics lab then you've got government backing and/or you're so criminally wealthy that "consequences" do not apply; either of which means you can irradiate the landscape/populace as much as you like.

Air cooled reactors are the devil's bootstraps. Eventually things will go wrong.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Kwyndig posted:

Air cooled reactors are the devil's bootstraps. Eventually things will go wrong.

Does it still count as 'going wrong' if contaminating a continent with fission products is a feature and not a bug?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

silentsnack posted:

Does it still count as 'going wrong' if contaminating a continent with fission products is a feature and not a bug?

Probably, but I don't have any first-party evidence, so let's ask the people of present-day Severodvinsk.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Captain Foo posted:

Pretty fast just don’t rub it on your balls it’ll burn like hell

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

BattleMaster posted:

2. The fuel bundle
5. The exclusion zone

CANDUs were a make-work initiative for weld inspectors that got out of hand.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

Platystemon posted:

I have to give an honourable mention to this one:

Shouldn't the handle be located further towards the base to give adequate ground clearance?

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Also it has software that occasionally forces you to chug it

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

Shouldn't the handle be located further towards the base to give adequate ground clearance?
That'd change the whole balance of the mug too much, you'd probably have to retrain the users.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

90s Cringe Rock posted:

That'd change the whole balance of the mug too much, you'd probably have to retrain the users.

Not if we utilise an electronic control system to replicate the sip characteristics of the original mug!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
That sounds expensive. Can I get it without that and adjust accordingly?

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
They came out with a bigger mug but for the first year in service they kept having battery fires so we just buy the older, smaller mugs secondhand.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
Weird, I didn't know Samsung made those cups

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Put arm brace on the user so the can’t tilt the mug too far.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Platystemon posted:

Put arm brace on the user so the can’t tilt the mug too far.

The brace keeps overcorrecting and spilling my coffee though???

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Queen Combat posted:

The brace keeps overcorrecting and spilling my coffee though???
You're badly-trained, and probably foreign. The mug is fine.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
They made the employees move their coffee cups out of the break room cupboards so they could store all the excess mugs they have

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

The Russians just used a thermos!

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

aphid_licker posted:

Kill yourself before someone gets the idea to see how long they can keep you alive.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

GWBBQ posted:

Kill yourself before someone gets the idea to see how long they can keep you alive.

This is good advice, depending on exposure :v:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

GWBBQ posted:

don't do this, you'll deprive health physicists of valuable data points

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
HERE LIES WHATS-HIS-NAME

HE DIED SO THAT WE MAY PUBLISH