Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013
Speaking of naval issues, can invasions be interdicted by coastal patrols? I'm pretty sure I've gotten landings despite having numerically/technologically superior fleets set to "Patrol Coast" of the relevant region.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

smarxist posted:

Is there like a production panel that shows the flow of goods (like in my country, before trade, and after local consumption, I'm positive 100 fabric), is that just the market details page? Because everything is based on supply/demand and buy/sell orders?

There isn't other than enforcing sakoku and then looking at your market report, and there seems to be some degree of thought that you shouldn't need to think about it and should only work off relative prices. Which is probably historical rather than the neat "x steel mills need y coal mines and z iron mines" logic, but turns to gently caress and poo poo if you ever make a play for independence or fall behind the naval curve as an island (and I'm including the western hemisphere majors here as well) power.

I put together a rough and clunky calculator, it takes a while to get the data in and especially to micromanage it as you build but it's saved a couple of otherwise bricked runs for me that were tied to the UK market and needed to get out. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WRkQwpLn8iBBVjdv-v-PCZfapel5ZlCMwo0JuFNIaG4/edit?usp=sharing

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Speaking of naval issues, can invasions be interdicted by coastal patrols? I'm pretty sure I've gotten landings despite having numerically/technologically superior fleets set to "Patrol Coast" of the relevant region.

In practice it doesn't seem so, but if you can cut off the convoys the attrition is absolutely ridiculous.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Is there a hidden naval landing penalty? Tried a naval landing, I had like 250 attack, enemy had like 170 and just CRUSHED me.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

In practice it doesn't seem so, but if you can cut off the convoys the attrition is absolutely ridiculous.

There is. AI Italy interdicted my fleet annoyingly reliably when I was repeatedly trying to invade them. I had to fight a naval battle each time before my troops could land.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Elendil004 posted:

Is there a hidden naval landing penalty? Tried a naval landing, I had like 250 attack, enemy had like 170 and just CRUSHED me.

if you're using too many troops on too few boats you'll get like a -99.99% modifier.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

yes. i have had my naval invasions intercepted, if you win the naval battle it continues as normal and if you lose then you have to gently caress off back home.

Elendil004 posted:

you need one ship in the fleet per battalion you're trying to transport to avoid insufficient naval support penalties, and also some provinces have a difficult landing modifier that is very significant. eventually one of the naval techs turns off the difficult landing penalties.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Yes. I've had naval invasions fight a battle at sea before making the landing, and had the landing fail when the fleet loses the battle. Sometimes though the invasion can sneak by the screen and not have to fight.

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Absolutely. The few times GPs have involved themselves in my Southern American exploits I'll let them land a few armies (by sending my navies off raiding or planning their own naval invasion) before raiding the convoys to cut off their supplies and then watch as they suffer terrible, terrible attrition. Fancy tech doesn't do much for them when they don't have any beans or bullets.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Nov 23, 2022

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
What's the usage of a tech liiiike, Water Tube Boiler? When I try to implement in a workshop, all it does is use more tools/coal, and fire some of the workforce.

is that so you can move manual labor to other openings? like I have a ranch that's understaffed and needs labor, will they migrate or what?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

smarxist posted:

What's the usage of a tech liiiike, Water Tube Boiler? When I try to implement in a workshop, all it does is use more tools/coal, and fire some of the workforce.

is that so you can move manual labor to other openings? like I have a ranch that's understaffed and needs labor, will they migrate or what?

Yes it's to reduce labor requirements and free up bodies for work elsewhere/more of the same factory.

So far for me its been a mid game thing if I hit a labor crunch before my stratospheric SOL as compared to the rest of the world brings in a flood of migrants to my country looking for work.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

ItohRespectArmy posted:

if you're using too many troops on too few boats you'll get like a -99.99% modifier.

Jazerus posted:

you need one ship in the fleet per battalion you're trying to transport to avoid insufficient naval support penalties, and also some provinces have a difficult landing modifier that is very significant. eventually one of the naval techs turns off the difficult landing penalties.

Plenty of ships, and all the tech so shouldn't be that. If it WAS that, shouldn't the -99% modifier show somewhere?

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

smarxist posted:

It's there to let you play tall with small countries I assume, I have never touched 90% of the automation production methods because by the time they are unlocked I almost always have open borders and multiculturalism and immigrants are arriving faster than I can build places for them to work.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

smarxist posted:

yeah it's to lower the number of people working there. this makes the building ideally cheaper to run, and means that those people can go do other jobs. early in the game it may not be ideal to use these kinds of techs because you're often not at any kind of labor shortage, but eventually you will want to stack industry sky-high and have each building running as efficiently as possible

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

the monkeys paw curls as we get a ship designer DLC to accurately simulate the tooling and retooling of combat fleets alongside the rapid development of technology.

o fuk yea build and modernize the chilean economy for 70 years straight entirely for an all-in rush right as you switch from Krupp to Krupp cemented and wipe out the royal fleet and seize your place in the sun

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
Music is quite good in this, it has a lasting impression even after the game is closed. I'm particularly fond of the song "Death March" : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3RNZG3l4NM

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Is there a logic to trade center development and growth?

Im playing Prussia and Pomerania has 3.2 m pop and rising quick. It has no special industry except a 10x furniture factory, and there are other larger ones in the nation.

Id like to somehow populate Elbe with trade centers and pops.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Elendil004 posted:

Plenty of ships, and all the tech so shouldn't be that. If it WAS that, shouldn't the -99% modifier show somewhere?

i've never seen the icon for it, merely been told about it and seen its effects.

are you seeing the individual battles for the naval invasions or just the starting number? sometimes you just get a bad roll on troop numbers in the battle regardless of how many you deploy on the naval invasion

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Gaj posted:

Is there a logic to trade center development and growth?

Im playing Prussia and Pomerania has 3.2 m pop and rising quick. It has no special industry except a 10x furniture factory, and there are other larger ones in the nation.

Id like to somehow populate Elbe with trade centers and pops.

Trade center builds in the location closest to the trade partner, so you'd have to trade with swedes a lot probably
do the greener grass invocation on a state and people will wanna migrate to it more, they'll also go to places that are empty more (click state, go to info, shows all the modifiers)

liveable space is defined by arable land, which is dumb af because arable land is based on some formula using the mapped population densities of 1836, so places that had more people at that time have more arable land, and greater potential for pop growth.

that's why china starts out with 22.6k or whatever arable land and the US as a whole has like 8,000

as an unfortunate consequence this makes migration kind of stupid because Chinese provinces are so arable land dense that if they up the SoL a bit they pull in migrants from the US, and migration to America is much, much lower than it should be

p.s. if you look at a state's migration it'll tell you what specific places people are going to or coming from, so you can declare war and get the traitors back to the factories

FirstnameLastname fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Nov 23, 2022

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

smarxist posted:

Wages are usually the number one expense for an industry so these techs serve two purposes: the first is that if you're playing a small pop nation you can build more stuff. The second benefit is that the tech reduces the operating cost of the business and can make an unprofitable industry profitable. This is much stronger than it looks because supporting a business that is otherwise unable to sustain itself is a large part of your economy and when you get an investment pool economy this means more money for you because the owners are making more money.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Going to take a break from this game until some updates. (So I say but I can see myself restarting and playing up to 1870s again).

There's too much bullshit associated with army/navy balance, tech levels and the whole problem with how resources are handled. I'm not even sure the game properly models stuff like the revolutions of 1848 and it's easy for me to just get lost in running the hamster wheel of constantly building up industries all over the place to watch the number go up while the rest of the game passes me right by. I realized by 1880 that you can just keep on building forever and it'll never stop, you'll always need more of another resource resulting in more construction and more of some other resource falling back on you. I already hit a point I've drat near maxed my coal supply and I need even more of the stuff just to fuel power plants, railways and other details. I can't imagine doing this across all 50 US states or most of Europe. Japan by itself is hard enough.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

victoria 3 really needs an award named after it that basically stands for "extremely flawed but extremely compelling"

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Kraftwerk posted:

Going to take a break from this game until some updates. (So I say but I can see myself restarting and playing up to 1870s again).

There's too much bullshit associated with army/navy balance, tech levels and the whole problem with how resources are handled. I'm not even sure the game properly models stuff like the revolutions of 1848 and it's easy for me to just get lost in running the hamster wheel of constantly building up industries all over the place to watch the number go up while the rest of the game passes me right by. I realized by 1880 that you can just keep on building forever and it'll never stop, you'll always need more of another resource resulting in more construction and more of some other resource falling back on you. I already hit a point I've drat near maxed my coal supply and I need even more of the stuff just to fuel power plants, railways and other details. I can't imagine doing this across all 50 US states or most of Europe. Japan by itself is hard enough.

Completely fair after this current mp game and a couple of choice cheevos I'll probably put it down for several months.
Edit: how the gently caress did I clock almost 150 hours in this jank rear end game

Lawman 0 fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Nov 23, 2022

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

ItohRespectArmy posted:

victoria 3 really needs an award named after it that basically stands for "extremely flawed but extremely compelling"

Very much so. I'm excited to see where the game goes as some more mods come in and more content updates come out. I hope they can dramatically fix the game speed - that's going to be the real killer at the moment.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

ItohRespectArmy posted:

The Guild award

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Are the railroad transportation tickets like electricity (where they only effect the state they're in) or a good that goes across state lines?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

TTBF posted:

Are the railroad transportation tickets like electricity (where they only effect the state they're in) or a good that goes across state lines?

they go across state lines, but so does electricity. you can make electricity in new york and supply it to your colonies in asia if you want. what you can't do with either electricity or transportation is export it outside your market.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

TTBF posted:

both electricity and transportation are shared throughout your whole market, including every state in every country in your customs union as long as that state has market access

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Wow, that knowledge about electricity is going to completely change how I play the game. I did not expect that. I heard different from some YouTuber and just assumed they knew more than me.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I build power stations in every state anyway because it feels wrong otherwise

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

One gigantic power plant in new york that supplies half of north america with electricity is the way.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I was subsidizing every power station to make sure it was generating enough electricity to cover what was consumed. In each individual state. I had auto-expand on and turned it off when I saw a power plant was expanding and making more electricity than was consumed. An absurd level of micro-management.

Ostrava
Aug 21, 2014

ItohRespectArmy posted:

I think that's just the Paradox mission statement.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

smarxist posted:

The Guild award

Oh man, yeah that's spot on! That game was some real janky gold haha (I wonder how TG3 is, actually? Hopefully it's not simply watered-down TG2)

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

TTBF posted:

Wow, that knowledge about electricity is going to completely change how I play the game. I did not expect that. I heard different from some YouTuber and just assumed they knew more than me.

it's how the dev diaries and youtube vids described it, paradox just changed their mind or have a bug and haven't disclosed it or ??

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Arrath posted:

Yes it's to reduce labor requirements and free up bodies for work elsewhere/more of the same factory.

It makes the building more profitable (fewer people to pay wages to) and drives down overall wages in the state (more unemployed/peasants so buildings don't have to compete for workers as much).

I can also be useful to drive demand for early industrial goods if you don't have another use for them yet.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Major Isoor posted:

Oh man, yeah that's spot on! That game was some real janky gold haha (I wonder how TG3 is, actually? Hopefully it's not simply watered-down TG2)

It's watered down TG2 with better graphics and more slick UI. Still a decent game and the management side works fine but if you played TG2 for the interpersonal drama and councils and petty scheming then just stick with TG2 and mods.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Waifu Radia posted:

it's how the dev diaries and youtube vids described it, paradox just changed their mind or have a bug and haven't disclosed it or ??

They changed their mind because the micro otherwise would've been unbearable.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013
Note to self: Even one level of welfare for China will annihilate your economy. I passed Poor Laws so the Industrialists wouldn't radicalize from going Council Republic, now the IGs that could remove it have been utterly marginalized. My expenses column is literally the Dril tweet.

DJ_Mindboggler fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Nov 23, 2022

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

dead gay comedy forums posted:

I think it's simply the fact that they lacked manpower and resources for the technical challenge of the economic gameplay model while also going for a planned release date according to the financial schedule (since paradox is a public company after all)

the continuous development idea would be a great thing if separate from the reality of a public company and the subsequent management policies due to that fact, at least seems that way to me
Seems like an extremely low-hanging fruit though. Like, there doesn't seem to be any feedback system that would allow a balance change there to really gently caress up anything else, meaning it could've been fixed somewhat by someone just realizing later ship types were massively underpowered and just buffing the hell out of them. Like, the objective here isn't a permanent fix, it's quickly bashing a part of the game into something that works well enough that it's not adding a ton of noise to other harder to solve issues in the same category.

The late game slowdown likewise seems like a relatively low-hanging fruit, in terms of the impact it has on the game. Like, obviously a completely satisfying solutions would take a long time, and even the quick solution would take quite a bit more time than buffing more advanced ship types, but performance is also a pretty big deal in terms of how a game feels to play.

Staltran posted:

Only if each ironclad can only be fired upon by a single wooden ship at the time
I feel like the number of ships that should be able to engage another at any one time should be low enough that it would largely hold up anyway. Maybe not 100x, but wooden ships being able to theoretically swarm should be countered by also being weak enough that the iron clad would quickly cause their numerical advantage to dwindle, meaning that a battle that starts out 5-to-1 would average out to closer to a 5-to-2 battle.

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Note to self: Even one level of welfare for China will annihilate your economy. I passed Poor Laws so the Industrialists wouldn't radicalize from going Council Republic, now the IGs that could remove it have been utterly marginalized. My expenses column is literally the Dril tweet.
What, like a vaccine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Imo the key thing for China is that all those productive methods and add on whatever that decrease the labor pool (like railroad access) are traps because you are going to have too many peasents/people to deal with normally and it's better to have as many of them employed as possible