Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

It would be nice if we just had Pirelli say here are the tires do whatever you want with them, and you could either stop or chose not to stop but its still going to be some ludicrous rule like "each rear tire must run 3.5 different compounds with air pressures set according to your qualifying lap." or something equally stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Alain Post posted:

Rock hard tires that last the whole race was 2005 and that was boring as poo poo.

tell that to kimi

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times
Are the superfat tyres going to help much with the shitfest that is 'running in dirty air'? Or will the new aero rules bring us back to exactly where we are now, but with smaller lap times?

Also, if the tyres don't turn to poo poo in 10 laps, won't that reduce the amount of marbling and crap littering the corners, and thus allow for more of the track to be used?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

1500quidporsche posted:

It would be nice if we just had Pirelli say here are the tires do whatever you want with them, and you could either stop or chose not to stop but its still going to be some ludicrous rule like "each rear tire must run 3.5 different compounds with air pressures set according to your qualifying lap." or something equally stupid.

I actually like the current "you get a selection of tires and choose which ones you want over the weekend" system as a compromise.

ellspurs
Sep 12, 2007
Kappa :o

Goetta posted:

When was the last zero stop race

I would possibly say the 1961 Dutch GP as there were no retirements as well as no pit stops.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Mika Salo didn't stop at the '97 Monaco GP.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Alain Post posted:

I actually like the current "you get a selection of tires and choose which ones you want over the weekend" system as a compromise.

I'd agree that given the FIA and Bernie's insistence on having some gimmick related to tires and/or fuel this is probably the best system we'll get.

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times
As dangerous and expensive as it was, I enjoyed the days of fuel stops. It gave teams more options to get ahead or fail spectacularly. If you wanted to qualify up front, you only gave them 8 laps of fuel and dealt with it in the race with a really short first stint. Short fills would keep the car lighter/faster, and long stops would add weight and slow you down. It had far more strategy involved.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

frankenbeans posted:

As dangerous and expensive as it was, I enjoyed the days of fuel stops. It gave teams more options to get ahead or fail spectacularly. If you wanted to qualify up front, you only gave them 8 laps of fuel and dealt with it in the race with a really short first stint. Short fills would keep the car lighter/faster, and long stops would add weight and slow you down. It had far more strategy involved.

It was also really interesting when you didnt know after q3 what everyones fuel load was, and wondered "Ohh is mclaren actually that fast or is ferrari just fueled for a long opening stint", so of course the year after they started publishing all the fuel figures before the race and taking out all the fun mystery and speculation. They remove fueling because its expensive to fly the rigs around but Johnny Sponsor still can ignore the race in a 10 million dollar hospitality center.

Just like removing radio messages for the most part, f1 seems determined to take anything enjoyable out of the sport that might distract you from "PIRELLI PIRELLI PIRELLI" "ROLEX ROLEX ROLEX"

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jul 16, 2016

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

Riso posted:

Reminder: Pastor Maldonado is still the last GP winner for Williams F1.

Kimi is Ferrari's last WDC

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times

MattD1zzl3 posted:

It was also really interesting when you didnt know after q3 what everyones fuel load was, and wondered "Ohh is mclaren actually that fast or is ferrari just fueled for a long opening stint", so of course the year after they started publishing all the fuel figures before the race and taking out all the fun mystery and speculation. They remove fueling because its expensive to fly the rigs around but Johnny Sponsor still can ignore the race in a 10 million dollar hospitality center.

Just like removing radio messages for the most part, f1 seems determined to take anything enjoyable out of the sport that might distract you from "PIRELLI PIRELLI PIRELLI" "ROLEX ROLEX ROLEX"

Don't forget "BEER BEER BEER" ("but not when you're driving, eh?") "BEER BEER BEER"

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

frankenbeans posted:

Don't forget "BEER BEER BEER" ("but not when you're driving, eh?") "BEER BEER BEER"

Bernie says, "Think before you drive"

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Refuelling is poo poo. Sorry.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

frankenbeans posted:

still legitimately baffled by the idea that putting an alcohol logo on a motor vehicle somehow encourages people to drink and drive

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Whitey Ford posted:

Kimi is Ferrari's last WDC

China GP still makes me laugh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KglbcTs0vWk

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .
It's strange to me that they didn't just give the cars some real ground effect bodywork, not just a slightly larger diffuser, for 2017. It worked wonders for CART, and if they're so adamant about speeding up the cars that'd be the best way, while making them less reliant on their more sensitive upper bodywork.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

i see this every night when i close my eyes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uw-USwauS9s&t=90s

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
How would bringing him in have prevented a suspension failure?

Also, i didnt watch anything before the last third of '07. How did Newey go (i hear) from making the most unreliable cars to some of the most reliable ones?

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
He stopped working at McLaren

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

The red bull cars have hardly been the pinnacle of reliability lately.

Was it 05 or 06 where the Mercedes engines were blowing every time they had a long pit stop because their package was that marginal?

DaveP
Apr 25, 2011

MattD1zzl3 posted:

How would bringing him in have prevented a suspension failure?

His tyre was so badly flat-spotted that the vibrations shook the suspension apart. Pitting in > new tyre, no suspensionsplosion.

Even on a regular flat-spot drivers have commented on the vibration seriously affecting their vision and experience of driving the car, I have no idea how he would've been able to keep it together for 20 laps. Cycling on cobble stones is hard enough.

DaveP fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jul 17, 2016

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

wicka posted:

still legitimately baffled by the idea that putting an alcohol logo on a motor vehicle somehow encourages people to drink and drive

This.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Yeh it's really not how modern marketing works. Today they try and implant a brand in someone's head, so when they see it in a shop amongst 20 other near identical items they pick that brand.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

learnincurve posted:

Yeh it's really not how modern marketing works. Today they try and implant a brand in someone's head, so when they see it in a shop amongst 20 other near identical items they pick that brand.

Welcome to Marketing 101

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

GramCracker posted:

Welcome to Marketing 101

Quite. Literally no one is going to be sitting at home watching F1 and then go "! I must go out immediately and buy a can of poo poo lager, chug it outside the shop and then drive home!"

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

learnincurve posted:

Quite. Literally no one is going to be sitting at home watching F1 and then go "! I must go out immediately and buy a can of poo poo lager, chug it outside the shop and then drive home!"

it's not even that, it's the idea that seeing alcohol branding on a car makes you want to drink alcohol in a car. it's just silly. plus i can drive down the street and see a coors delivery truck with a coors logo on the side, so it's not like you'd actually be changing anything.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

To be honest I chalk that up more to a segment of society losing their poo poo over the existence of alcohol as opposed to any concern about drunk driving.

I used to be a smoker and I didn't reach for the lighter every time I saw a Marlboro McLaren and I certainly don't reach for the bottle when I see a Martini Williams. Its all nonsense and moral panic brought on by parents looking to blame external forces because they were poo poo at parenting.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I bought Pirelli tires for the first time ever specifically because of their Formula 1 involvement.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Wirth1000 posted:

I bought Pirelli tires for the first time ever specifically because of their Formula 1 involvement.

So long as it wasn't for a motorbike you should be fine.

No grip on the rear, gets a bit I don't want to be on this thing in the cold.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
I was going to bribe this European official with cash in a suitcase, but then I watched an F1 race and went with a Rolex instead

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

It's raining hard and Moto3 racing business as usual.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

learnincurve posted:

Also they pop for no reason and lose most of their bite after a couple of hundred kms. Funnily enough, my Pirelli motorcycle tyres replicated the F1 experience quite nicely.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

IanTheM posted:

It's strange to me that they didn't just give the cars some real ground effect bodywork, not just a slightly larger diffuser, for 2017. It worked wonders for CART, and if they're so adamant about speeding up the cars that'd be the best way, while making them less reliant on their more sensitive upper bodywork.

The problem with ground effect is that its effectiveness is drastically reduced the further away from the ground the car becomes. This isn't an issue on ovals but it becomes a very big issue when you go over kerbs

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Foxtrot_13 posted:

The problem with ground effect is that its effectiveness is drastically reduced the further away from the ground the car becomes. This isn't an issue on ovals but it becomes a very big issue when you go over kerbs

So youre saying ground effects would not only make for close, turbulence free racing but also naturally help enforce track limits, something the whole f1 world seems to be bitching about this week after Silverstone?

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jul 17, 2016

Frazzbo
Feb 2, 2006

Thistle dubh

wicka posted:

it's not even that, it's the idea that seeing alcohol branding on a car makes you want to drink alcohol in a car. it's just silly. plus i can drive down the street and see a coors delivery truck with a coors logo on the side, so it's not like you'd actually be changing anything.

Well, clearly some people felt there was cause for concern!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

1500quidporsche posted:

I certainly don't reach for the bottle when I see a Martini Williams.

Unlike most Williams fans.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

learnincurve posted:

And yet the Diablo Rosso's are highly regarded tires in the motorcycling world.....?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Wirth1000 posted:

And yet the Diablo Rosso's are highly regarded tires in the motorcycling world.....?

Are they now...http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Pirelli/Diablo-Rosso.htm

edit: Pirelli really do have a reputation for poor grip in the wet and cold. May not be applicable in the US or on the continent but these are the exact things riders in the UK prioritise.

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jul 17, 2016

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EhbjtaNeIk

:( Thought i'd throw this up since its been a year. One of the finest videos the BBC did on f1. I bet we'd have been getting the announcement of him starting for ferrari next year about this time.

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jul 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

MattD1zzl3 posted:

So youre saying ground effects would not only make for close, turbulence free racing but also naturally help enforce track limits, something the whole f1 world seems to be bitching about this week after Silverstone?

If by enforcing track limits you mean making the tracks even narrower by punishing anyone who puts even a wheel outside of the white lines then yes it would.

• Locked thread