Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Tenzarin posted:

Just saw this again, I swear batman is trying to save his dad at the start where superman is fighting general zod. You can hear him say 'dah' as in dad, when he talks on the phone.

Superman killed Batman's dad.
Hmm I think there's a problem with this theory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I honestly heard "dad" the first time I saw it in theaters but I knew it couldn't be that. I could hear "Jack" the second time. But just last week it came out as "dad" again.

That's my story - thanks for reading.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Martman posted:

Hmm I think there's a problem with this theory.

My dad killed Batman's dad!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

If Bruce shortened that to "Zack" it would make him the most insufferable employer so I'm all for that.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I remember being very confused about why the bat-brand was a death sentence to prisoners. I didn't get why other prisoners would hate or want to murder someone that's been caught by the Batman. I'm glad it was cleared up that Luthor was doing it, I normally turn my brain off and get high during comic book movies so I need stuff spelled out.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Pron on VHS posted:

I remember being very confused about why the bat-brand was a death sentence to prisoners. I didn't get why other prisoners would hate or want to murder someone that's been caught by the Batman. I'm glad it was cleared up that Luthor was doing it, I normally turn my brain off and get high during comic book movies so I need stuff spelled out.

I always thought it was tied more to the nature of the crime - sex trafficking, in that case - than anything else, but it will be interesting to see how the director's cut changes things.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Also, other thoughts

- I enjoyed the montage of Wayne lifting rusty, heavy weights in a grim dungeon gym. It reminded me of old-rear end Rocky doing the same thing in Rocky Balboa.

- Affleck's probably the best Batman so far. He looks just like the animated series Wayne. I also liked how they showed how useless he was during the Doomsday fight.

- The Knightmare was so cool! Ahhh

- what side of WWI did Wonder Woman fight on?

- in the first meeting between Kent/Wayne at Luthor's fundraiser event, it's clear that Kent knows Wayne is Batman from being able to hear Wayne's earpiece. Did Wayne also realize that Kent was Superman? I couldn't tell, I like to think his detective mind can see past the glasses and hairstyle.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Pron on VHS posted:

Before it became clear that Luthor was responsible, I just assumed it was because other prisoners assumed the brand meant that Batman got information out of you. Snitches get stitches and all that.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Pron on VHS posted:

- what side of WWI did Wonder Woman fight on?

- in the first meeting between Kent/Wayne at Luthor's fundraiser event, it's clear that Kent knows Wayne is Batman from being able to hear Wayne's earpiece. Did Wayne also realize that Kent was Superman? I couldn't tell, I like to think his detective mind can see past the glasses and hairstyle.

Wonder Woman is pictured next to (I think?) Belgians and in the clips of her solo movie that have been shown thus far, she's shield-clocking a dude wearing a stahlhelm so I think it's safe to say she's on the Allied side.

The dinner party scene read a bit ambiguous to me. I got the impression that Bruce knew he was talking to Superman in that moment, but I think it could be taken either way.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pron on VHS posted:

- Affleck's probably the best Batman so far. He looks just like the animated series Wayne. I also liked how they showed how useless he was during the Doomsday fight.

I really, really hope we get a version of this scene at some point in the future: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwU0QkcrNVQ

Batman, whenever he's fighting one of these ultra-powerful villains, just has a way of being a fly in the ointment at exactly the right moment. I love that aspect of the DCAU character.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Pron on VHS posted:

Yeah, Affleck was really good but I think some of the credit also goes to the costume design and the voice modulation too. It really looked and sounded like Batman and nothing about his physicality was distracting or weird for a change.

edit;

Pron on VHS posted:

- The Knightmare was so cool! Ahhh

It was really well shot and interesting to watch but I think it failed because it seemed out of place, didn't really advance the story and left most viewers confused.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jul 5, 2016

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Basebf555 posted:

Before it became clear that Luthor was responsible, I just assumed it was because other prisoners assumed the brand meant that Batman got information out of you. Snitches get stitches and all that.
Same here. I think the only clue we get is "Too low level. He didn't know anything."

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

BiggerBoat posted:

Yeah, Affleck was really good but I think some of the credit also goes to the costume design and the voice modulation too. It really looked and sounded like Batman and nothing about his physicality was distracting or weird for a change.

This reminds me of my favorite detail in the movie, where Alfred mentions the mic Wayne uses when he's Batman to give him a scary voice. See Bale, just install a mic!

and the part where his SupermanBuster Suit is hosed and his voice modulation is going in and out, so cool. I loved this movie

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Pron on VHS posted:

This reminds me of my favorite detail in the movie, where Alfred mentions the mic Wayne uses when he's Batman to give him a scary voice. See Bale, just install a mic!

This part cracks me up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fTqT3SA8Jc

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I really, really hope we get a version of this scene at some point in the future: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwU0QkcrNVQ

Ugh, that world of cardboard poo poo is awful. It's entirely to Snyder's Superman's credit that he doesn't view us and our world as insubstantial garbage.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sir Kodiak posted:

Ugh, that world of cardboard poo poo is awful. It's entirely to Snyder's Superman's credit that he doesn't view us and our world as insubstantial garbage.

Superman isn't talking about humanity's worth there, he's talking about our physical frailty in comparison with himself. He's got a very literal problem with controlling his own strength. I thought that was pretty clear in the scene?

Anyway Superman's speech isn't what I was talking about. I want to see super villains get flabbergasted by Batman's inability to know when he's beaten.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Let's stop examine this 'world of cardboard' thing for a second.

"I feel like I live in a world made of cardboard. Always taking constant care not to break something. To break someone. Never allowing myself to lose control, even for a moment, or someone could die. But you can take it, can't ya, big man?"

Note how smoothly he links the worth of human life to the worth of private property. Human lives, paper garbage, and the buildings he destroys are all implicitly equated. "If I allow myself to lose control, even for a second, I might break some cardboard." (???)

It all sounds superficially rebellious - 'the world is poo poo! Only people matter!' - but is anything but. Superman is fighting to preserve the cardboard.

He is obviously not 'losing control even for a second' at all. Instead, he is explicitly endorsing the logic of 'surgical airstrikes' - a fantasy of contained chaos, war without casualties. This obviously entirely about control.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Superman isn't talking about humanity's worth there, he's talking about our physical frailty in comparison with himself. He's got a very literal problem with controlling his own strength. I thought that was pretty clear in the scene?

He's talking about how perceives the relationship created by his relative strength, and that perception is that he is distanced from us and perceives our world as flimsy garbage. Whereas Snyder's Superman is uplifted by our strength.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Sir Kodiak posted:

In MoS and this film Kal-El clearly demonstrates his contempt for humanity, though he does value them for their ability to validate his psychotic megalomania. When I'm not phone posting I have a lot to say about this film's ridiculously profascist message that tries to sell a Hobbsian distopia as a net positive for humanity.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

LeJackal posted:

In MoS and this film Kal-El clearly demonstrates his contempt for humanity, though he does value them for their ability to validate his psychotic megalomania. When I'm not phone posting I have a lot to say about this film's ridiculously profascist message that tries to sell a Hobbsian distopia as a net positive for humanity.

You were missed

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Cruising the information superhighway

Basebf555 posted:

Batman, whenever he's fighting one of these ultra-powerful villains, just has a way of being a fly in the ointment at exactly the right moment. I love that aspect of the DCAU character.

That Superman scene is poo poo and thank god Snyder specifically shows that this Superman just has a high upper limit on what he can do. The crab boat scene shows that he has to focus on things to use his senses and he has to exert himself in order to access his strength (notice that the trucker can't move him a few scenes later).

World of cardboard Superman is so bad, it separates the character from the rest of humanity and de-humanizes him. It also makes him seem like a big dumb clod. I've never liked it.

Edit: Also it's good to see Lex Luthor has managed to find Internet access at Arkham.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jul 5, 2016

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ok well world of cardboard aside, I want a scene where Batman jumps on Darkseid's back and Darkseid is like "what is this poo poo now?"

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Burkion posted:

You were missed

I just saw this film the other night, or I would posted sooner. Sometimes it can be tough to get out to a cinema.

Is there anything in specific I should address first?

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Basebf555 posted:

Ok well world of cardboard aside, I want a scene where Batman jumps on Darkseid's back and Darkseid is like "what is this poo poo now?"

I don't think anything could top "Gotcha!" from the Return of Bruce Wayne, not that I would want the DCCU to borrow that anyway. While the Doomsday fight was a lull in the movie for me, I loved that it always showed Batman just escaping getting vaporized by a fraction of a second.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

LeJackal posted:

I just saw this film the other night, or I would posted sooner. Sometimes it can be tough to get out to a cinema.

Would you say that BvS is intended to be propaganda that the audience swallows uncritically, like Watchmen, or propaganda that the audience knows is propaganda and realizes from the start that they are seeing events from the perspective of one side, like 300?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

He's not even icing fools. He just doesn't give a poo poo. If you're in his way, you're going to be dealt with. If that means you die, you die. He doesn't care.

For God's sake he starts the Batmobile sequence standing on top of a crane with a sniper rifle. If Batman wanted to just murder his way to the Kryptonite he could have done it right then and there. Instead he waits until it's on the move, then shows up in the Batmobile (his calling card) and gives everyone a chance to bail the gently caress out. When they don't, well, they get neutralized. In every sense of the word.

Batman literally never harms someone who isn't trying to harm him. The movie is explicit about that. And he escalates when they escalate. Those dudes who he strafed in the BatGlider in the warehouse sequence would have been ignored if they never fired a shot.

Sorry I'm so late to the party but that's not a sniper rifle for headshotting fools and suckas, but it is a sniper rifle for placing tracking devices on things from far away.

At least that's what I saw.

Like, not even THIS Batman could throw a bat-track-a-rang from 100 yards away or seventeen stories up with any accuracy.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Cruising the information superhighway

Drifter posted:

Sorry I'm so late to the party but that's not a sniper rifle for headshotting fools and suckas, but it is a sniper rifle for placing tracking devices on things from far away.

If Batman wanted to kill people it would be a sniper rifle for 360 no-scoping. That's the point. The whole scene opens up with Batman holding a sniper rifle and peering through the scope...the crosshairs rest on a thug's head. "Has he gone too far?" you ask yourself...nope! It's a tracking device, ha ha! Batman still has some scruples left, enough that he isn't just popping heads left-and-right to accomplish his goals. He still wants to show up and intimidate people into bailing with his huge dangerous Batmobile. But if they decide they would rather try to murder Batman...

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

LeJackal posted:

Yeah. How is it tough to go to see a movie? It's one of the laziest things I do when I endeavor to "go out".

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

"End of Love Affair with Man in the Sky?"

"We know better now, don't we?"

https://gfycat.com/QuarterlyCarefreeCuttlefish.webm

(same clip but larger: https://gfycat.com/LinearSelfishHapuku)

"Yes I would.."

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jul 6, 2016

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Burkion posted:

You were missed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRVUOGUmxJI

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

Yeah. How is it tough to go to see a movie? It's one of the laziest things I do when I endeavor to "go out".

It was nearly impossible to even escape in the first place.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Detective Dog Dick
Oct 21, 2008

Detective Dog Dick
Post the one of the nuke launching, seen through the leaves of the tree in the foreground.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Does anyone know if there is a particular reason they're filming a big chunk of Justice League in England? Wasn't a bunch of BVS filmed there, too? And doesn't Zach Snyder film a bunch of his movies there? Specific big sound stages or tax breaks? Just wondering after reading some more about the production. I should pick up the making-of book.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Violator posted:

Does anyone know if there is a particular reason they're filming a big chunk of Justice League in England? Wasn't a bunch of BVS filmed there, too? And doesn't Zach Snyder film a bunch of his movies there? Specific big sound stages or tax breaks? Just wondering after reading some more about the production. I should pick up the making-of book.

If they're a co-production they can qualify for very good tax breaks. Also UK crews are not as unionized.

Violator
May 15, 2003

I'm really glad the film is released and we can analyze it in HD. I'm not totally sure I want to open this can of worms again, but I think the coloring is super interesting and not at all what I expected. Going into it, I thought there was going to be a vary stark visual difference in the portrayal of Metropolis and Gotham. Metropolis would be a bright, shining, visually cool city of hope and Gotham would be a dark, rainy, Batman Begins-esque visually warm slum of corruption. But, since the movie takes place in the rainy fall season and for I imagine thematic reasons, Metropolis is a lot warmer, greener, and darker than I expected. I adjusted the white balance on a couple of screenshots to show what I mean.

I'm not suggesting another "what if the movie was in color?!" silly argument, but I think it's super interesting how they decided to color the film. There's no right way to do it, and they obviously shifted the white point to fit their visual narrative. I think it helps show Superman's struggle and how his world isn't all bright and cheery as one might expect. And, interestingly, I think Metropolis does become cooler and less stylized after Superman dies and the world unites behind his message and memory.

Edit: Looking through all of these HD screenshots is like a master class in composition, color, and framing. Amazing stuff.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
I love how foreboding the statue's hand looks in the shot you chose there. It's simultaneously crushing the man into the corner of the screen and giving him the finger. Which is pretty much the perfect metaphor for the statue as a whole.

Violator
May 15, 2003

computer parts posted:

If they're a co-production they can qualify for very good tax breaks. Also UK crews are not as unionized.

Ah, thanks for the info.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Detective Dog Dick posted:

Post the one of the nuke launching, seen through the leaves of the tree in the foreground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Watching the Ultimate Edition I realized that this is Luthor taking the place of Nolan Batman.

• Locked thread