Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

strange posted:

I don't understand why celerity instantly stops when you're hurt. I understand that it's meant to be for traveling around the map but it just adds to the feeling that aliens don't really have many fun pro-battle upgrades. (The new adrenaline is no fun either...)

Is this actually how celerity works? I thought it got tried in beta but was reverted to the old 'just makes you go faster' behaviour closer to release. I do hate the new adrenaline, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!

Shima Honnou posted:

This is a fun game and all, but they really have to fix it. Bad performance with everything set to low is one thing, but the game randomly just locks up as well forcing me to blindly ctrl+alt+del it out, which is seriously no fun, especially now that people are starting to use mics and play better.

Yup, it's terrible. I can't play this game on all lowest in a tiny window. Thankfully that's what commanding is for.

the Gaffe
Jul 4, 2011

you gotta believe dawg
Anyone have any idea why my server list is rarely showing any servers? If I have a friend join a server, I can join in on him just fine, but if I'm by myself I can't seem to get the server list to show up.

On that note, anyone playing right now that can add me on steam? :v:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Gaffe/

edit: Someone informed me that I can still add servers to my favorites from Steam, and gave me a site that listed the servers. I suppose that works for now.

the Gaffe fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Nov 8, 2012

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

:siren:P.S. STILL COMPLETELY DEVOID OF MERIT:siren:
I sort of hate the new adrenaline too, but I also completely understand it. It makes alien rushes more strategic, and is sort of necessary for Flamers to not be completely worthless.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Bloodmobile posted:

Those are the stats of servers running NS2Stats of which there appear to be 30. Aliens are winning most of the competitive games due to how fast they can get onos eggs. Pubs are somewhat marine-favored due to the tendency of games to drag on past the 20 minute mark, since marines have better late-game tech.

This is basically how I imagined competitive going. Onos come out so fast, and basically Exo > Fade > Grenadier > Onos, but since Exos come out so slow the game winds up being Fade > Grenadier > Onos. Snipe Grenadiers with Fades, send in the Onos, win game.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
Someone needs to make a skin for the Gorge that just replaces it with the Minecraft pig.

Also is NS2goons server actually a goon server?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
This game makes me sit at work all day and anticipate rushing home to play it. It's been a long time since I've enjoyed a game this much. Whether I win or lose I have fun with every match. I think this is the best team based shooter to come along since TF2.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

Torpor posted:

Also is NS2goons server actually a goon server?

Yep. In retrospect I'm glad I didn't hold out for release because

a.) running a server for NS2 is hella expensive
b.) we still don't have the community plugins we'd really need

and mostly important c.) there are a billion loving servers!

I never expected UWE to actually host official servers and I'm still really impressed with how amazingly easy it is to find a quality server with awesome performance within seconds of starting the game up. I don't know if they'll be keeping many of those up but kudos!

Wildtortilla posted:

This game makes me sit at work all day and anticipate rushing home to play it. It's been a long time since I've enjoyed a game this much. Whether I win or lose I have fun with every match. I think this is the best team based shooter to come along since TF2.

My buddy had zero interest in this game and basically only played TF2 (we used to stomp together all the time). I gave him my free copy and he has just totally abandoned TF2 and now we play NS2 out the rear end. The switch was immediate! He had never seen that kind of unique gameplay before and is now happily discussing strategy and watching gameplay videos to learn more.

Incredulous Dylan fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Nov 8, 2012

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Compared to this, TF2 is barely a team-based shooter. I can't get enough of NS2.

P-Funk
Jan 7, 2001

I was worried about performance with a 3.8GHz Core 2 Duo. I bought the game and while I can tell it's CPU limited with a GTX 480, my framerate only dives in final base assaults when there's a shitload of stuff on screen. I have my graphics cranked to the max, the 480 is still badass.

The game is cool and definitely a proper sequel to NS. I think it's funny that they made an engine from scratch just to have the creep work to their liking. I mean it doesn't seem like it's that big of a deal in gameplay. I really really really hope they address damage feedback though. As an alien there aren't any cues to tell how much you're being hit and how close you are to death. Even NS1 had better "oh poo poo I'm getting wasted" feedback.

P-Funk fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Nov 8, 2012

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Zigmidge posted:

Compared to this, TF2 is barely a team-based shooter. I can't get enough of NS2.

TF2 hasn't been interesting since the very first unlocks with medics.

DrGreatJob
Oct 3, 2006

we fuck each other very well and we have a lot of energy from eating plantfoods
Don't turn this thread into a TF2 discussion. That always goes bad places.

Instead, let's complain about how loving stupid and stubborn some players are. I just had my first rage quit from Khammanding. I couldn't take it anymore. Between people calling me a newb comm because I didn't get them SILENCE first, and those same people ignoring Phase Gates so they could eat Extractors... I just couldn't take it. I got all three hives and all the upgrades because the Marines were just that bad, and then I quit because I dropped two Onos eggs that nobody took. Tons of harvesters, some shifts, shades, and crags placed so we were spawning near everything and all that jazz, and they still couldn't take the main base. They still found ways to call me a newb commander because I didn't do X or Y, even though they had everything. Ten loving minutes later, I just leave because they couldn't break the turtle. Two Onos eggs still loving sitting in Crossroads, waiting to eat Data Core.

gently caress that.

Disconnect. In hind sight, I should have just kept bonewalling my team in the worst places and times. That would have made me happier than raging.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Brother Scrotum posted:

Don't turn this thread into a TF2 discussion. That always goes bad places.

This please. I didn't mean to start a TF2 debate. Just saying this is the first game since TF2 that I've had fun regardless if I am on the winning or losing side.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
I still feel that alien comm is missing that special spice that the marine comm has. The lack of interaction with alien comrades in the field makes me sad. It's not a bad experience, but it definitely is not as engaging/rewarding.

DrGreatJob
Oct 3, 2006

Hmmm... if you are using Bonewalls, shifts, crags, and shades, you can really help your team push a lot and it feels pretty well connected to me. Alien commander is just different because it doesn't force that connection.

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

:siren:P.S. STILL COMPLETELY DEVOID OF MERIT:siren:

Brackhar posted:

I still feel that alien comm is missing that special spice that the marine comm has. The lack of interaction with alien comrades in the field makes me sad. It's not a bad experience, but it definitely is not as engaging/rewarding.

I really miss the multiple Alien commanders. In the beta, I would see we needed craigs or something in Computer Lab. I'd ask permission if we had an existing com, and then spawn the drifters and send them there. When everything was down, I'd hop out and go back to the front. I know why they had to remove it,though.

Right now alien commander just sort of feels like someone who decides the upgrade paths and herds skulks.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Brother Scrotum posted:

Hmmm... if you are using Bonewalls, shifts, crags, and shades, you can really help your team push a lot and it feels pretty well connected to me. Alien commander is just different because it doesn't force that connection.

Is bonewall the poo poo that pops out of the floor and scares the piss out of me every time? Is that a structure the comm builds or is it an ability like "cast bonewall here"? Also does it do damage? Every time it happens I'm too startled to remember to look at my health.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

Wildtortilla posted:

Is bonewall the poo poo that pops out of the floor and scares the piss out of me every time? Is that a structure the comm builds or is it an ability like "cast bonewall here"? Also does it do damage? Every time it happens I'm too startled to remember to look at my health.

It does no damage, it's basically temporary (very temporary) area denial.

You require 2 hives in order to use it, you have to use it on creep (although you can place a quick cyst for the creep requirement), and it needs 3 resources.

I actually like it quite a bit. If you're good, you can trap marines trying to escape down a hallway. You can also catch marines inside it if they walk into it between the time you've clicked and the time it pops up, which removes their ability to do much of anything for that time.

You can also manage to...accidentally bonewall a leaping skulk such that the skulk gets stuck mid-air in front of marines. Totally a hypothetical situation that's never happened, nope.

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
I actually prefer how the alien com works because it frees up the players to do what the Kharaak must do to win, which is relentlessly attacking behind enemy lines to force beacons (exposing exos), squander marine resources, and to spread their forces thin. Directing the flow of attack and defense while independently creeping out upgrades, hives, and forward crag-posts provides me a fully satisfactory and immersive Khammander experience.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Anyone remember that terrible view that Gamespot posted of NS2 yesterday? Well, Gamespot has now pulled the review for its factual inaccuracies. I've never actually heard of Gamespot pulling a review like that before. drat. Here's the retraction notice:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/natural-selection-2-review-pulled-6399748

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

:cawg: I never expected that they would actually pull the review, I just assumed they would edit it. Hopefully they don't hand the review off to a freelancer this time, which was strange of them to do in the first place as they seemed really keen on the game in their prerelease coverage.

DrGreatJob
Oct 3, 2006

The review was poorly written and inaccurate, sure, but I don't really see the difference between this and any other GameSpot review.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Brother Scrotum posted:

The review was poorly written and inaccurate, sure, but I don't really see the difference between this and any other GameSpot review.

The difference is that it caused a huge shitstorm in the comments section and GameSpot was contacted by Hugh from UW who yesterday seemed none-too-happy about the factual inaccuracies. I guess the immediate blowback and getting emails from UW was probably enough to catch someone's attention.

e: VVVVVV Yes.

speng31b fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Nov 9, 2012

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Was that the review that referred to infestation as creep?

whiskas
May 30, 2005
He also complained about how the controls were way too complicated.

To summarize the controls in NS2:

Mouse1 - shoot
Mouse2 - alternate fire
1-4 - weapon slots
G - drop/pickup weapon
WASD - move
R - reload
E - use
F - flashlight
Shift - run/walk
Ctrl - crouch
Space - jump
C - map
Tab - scoreboard
X - voice command menu

As aliens you also have the B key which opens the evolution menu.

Now, do those control seem overly complicated? In comparison to say HL2, or any recent shooter?

I have a feeling that the gamespot reviewer has poo poo for brains, was dropped on his head as a baby... multiple times, and lacks the mental capacity to dress himself. To even think the controls for this game are difficult is simply ignorant and laughable.

To have the feeling of "oh god what is happening, i have no idea where I am, what I'm doing, or why I'm doing it" is perfectly normal when starting to play any game, and it takes less than an hour playing NS2 to get over that. In the case of the reviewer he lacked the intelligence to get past that stage and poo poo all over the game because of it.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

You have one too many keys in there. Stop using your flashlights damnit!

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
One of the first things in the article was complaining about the price. He couldn't even get that most basic of information right, and listed it as $30 instead of $25. It was super obvious that he hadn't treated his work seriously and thought no one would notice because it was just some random indie game.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

AegisP posted:

It does no damage, it's basically temporary (very temporary) area denial.

You require 2 hives in order to use it, you have to use it on creep (although you can place a quick cyst for the creep requirement), and it needs 3 resources.

I actually like it quite a bit. If you're good, you can trap marines trying to escape down a hallway. You can also catch marines inside it if they walk into it between the time you've clicked and the time it pops up, which removes their ability to do much of anything for that time.

You can also manage to...accidentally bonewall a leaping skulk such that the skulk gets stuck mid-air in front of marines. Totally a hypothetical situation that's never happened, nope.

Bonewall to save retreating onos/fades is extremely useful and I try to remind my alien commanders that it does exist.

Zigmidge posted:

Flashlight everything in all directions forever. My favorite is when we are being SNEAKY MARINES and one of the guys has his flashlight on looking all around while he creeps along.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Nov 9, 2012

whiskas
May 30, 2005
It's called bone wall now?

A few builds ago it was called infestation spike, and it was much taller. It was very effective at trapping lone jetpackers shooting up your base.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived...

Zigmidge posted:

If you turn off the "Atmospherics" video setting, flashlights will no longer act like giant fog cones.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Bonewall to save retreating onos/fades is extremely useful and I try to remind my alien commanders that it does exist.
A commander did this to me once!

By "did this to me" I mean I was the Onos and I was sprinting away from the marines and hey did you know that bone spike can impale aliens too?

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
Why is the ax animation so awful?

Also I turned off complicated infestation, bloom, and atmospherics and I really like the results, everything looks much sharper when I'm playing marines.

When I'm alien it's alien-vision all the time.

Also, I don't know if anyone cares, but the Mindcrack (minecraft) LP guys played some NS2, which should generate a bit of press.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2uZNdwLxuo

The game they played had powwow as comm, and I'm certain I've played games with that guy.

DrGreatJob
Oct 3, 2006

Just won a game against turtling marines by using Onos hallucinations. So drat funny.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

FuSchnick posted:

If you turn off the "Atmospherics" video setting, flashlights will no longer act like giant fog cones.

Not what I mean, and hell no. This game looks gorgeous at max and I have flawless performance.

It's like Nuclearmonkee said, people use flashlights and start giving themselves away. It's probably useful when you're in the room as the power goes out, they all know you're there anyways.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

FuSchnick posted:

They remain a giant arrow pointing back at your position around every corner.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Brother Scrotum posted:

Just won a game against turtling marines by using Onos hallucinations. So drat funny.

How do hallucinations work? I have not played much alien commander because I'm having too much fun with the improved skulk wall running.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.

Zigmidge posted:

Not what I mean, and hell no. This game looks gorgeous at max and I have flawless performance.

It's like Nuclearmonkee said, people use flashlights and start giving themselves away. It's probably useful when you're in the room as the power goes out, they all know you're there anyways.

If the skulk isn't using alien vision (which makes it so you can't see flashlights anyway) than you really don't have to worry about being given away. Because bad skulk.

DrGreatJob
Oct 3, 2006

Captain Beans posted:

How do hallucinations work? I have not played much alien commander because I'm having too much fun with the improved skulk wall running.

First off: Improved skulk wall running? What?

Second: Hallucinations are things you can spawn from Shades. You have to upgrade the shade to allow it first. They are a little expensive, but are fun to use if you're just waiting for your team to get together for the final push. Not a lot of use for them outside of trolling the marines.

When they are produced, you control them like any other unit. You select them/highlight a bunch and right click to set a destination. They don't do any damage and die pretty quickly, but if you've got some marines rushing your precious Onos egg in Topographical, you can send a dozen or so fake Onoses after them and they tend to turn around real quick. Or, you can send them in there with a couple of real Onoses, and then confusion and pain ensues.

\/\/\/
Because they don't fit into the ~~PrO StRaT~~ of the five minute Onos. Since that isn't fun, I try to use all the cool stuff instead.

DrGreatJob fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Nov 9, 2012

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Brother Scrotum posted:

First off: Improved skulk wall running? What?

Second: Hallucinations are things you can spawn from Shades. You have to upgrade the shade to allow it first. They are a little expensive, but are fun to use if you're just waiting for your team to get together for the final push. Not a lot of use for them outside of trolling the marines.

When they are produced, you control them like any other unit. You select them/highlight a bunch and right click to set a destination. They don't do any damage and die pretty quickly, but if you've got some marines rushing your precious Onos egg in Topographical, you can send a dozen or so fake Onoses after them and they tend to turn around real quick. Or, you can send them in there with a couple of real Onoses, and then confusion and pain ensues.

Alternatively send in a bunch of hallucinations to a secondary marine base to get them all over there then assault the real target with your forces.

A lot of the new stuff for the aliens are really cool but no one uses them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurking291230
Oct 17, 2012

Brother Scrotum posted:

and then I quit because I dropped two Onos eggs that nobody took.

Just out of curiosity, how do you "take" Onos eggs?

I always spawn as skulk and I don't know how that is possible.

• Locked thread