Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

In fairness to DD even if there's not much explicit lawyering after the first few episodes the whole Ms. Cardenas subplot initially revolves around them trying to get worthwhile evidence to legally fight the eviction of her building

Though it was still kind of a missed opportunity to never have Murdock and Fisk in the courtroom at the same time, hoping that's a thing in season 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I just wish they had honest-to-god storylines that were straight up legit cases that have nothing to do with the superhero stuff, other than competing for time&resources with it, but are compelling in their own right and treated as just as important because it's their day-to-day livelihood. I mean, one of the common criticisms of both shows if I recall is that there wasn't enough story to fit the number of episodes, leading to padding, so there's room for it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

DD's first episode ended like the pilot to a 'lawyer shenanigans of the week' show, right down to the 'we have no money but we'll continue to work together because we are friends' shtick. Like Angel with good guy lawyers or something.

Maybe they should have started off a bit lighter and gone into their main plots more gradually in the second half of each series. But what do I know I'm not Netflix, Marvel, Disney or David Tennant. :shrug:

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Cactus posted:

I just wish they had honest-to-god storylines that were straight up legit cases that have nothing to do with the superhero stuff, other than competing for time&resources with it, but are compelling in their own right and treated as just as important because it's their day-to-day livelihood. I mean, one of the common criticisms of both shows if I recall is that there wasn't enough story to fit the number of episodes, leading to padding, so there's room for it.

You mean like the plot line in JJ where she tries to find the persons partner?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

I haven't gotten around to JJ yet but I thought Daredevil was paced pretty dang well, I'm not really sure what scenes or subplots could've/should've been cut in favor of adding more one-shot cases

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I've only seen the first episode of Daredevil and am relieved that it gets better, because it was screamingly average.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I feel like I can't say that there should've been more case-of-the-week episodes because I really don't know if that would've made the show as a whole better or worse. All I know is that a lot of people would've bitched about "filler".

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Lycus posted:

I feel like I can't say that there should've been more case-of-the-week episodes because I really don't know if that would've made the show as a whole better or worse. All I know is that a lot of people would've bitched about "filler".

Oh for sure it probably would have made the show worse overall. I just think it's a shame that giving the series a coherent plot required almost completely cutting the non-coherent side of things.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

BSam posted:

You mean like the plot line in JJ where she tries to find the persons partner?

Yes more stuff like that. Daredevil needs it more though, I think. Not necessarily in the case-of-the-week format, just have more day-to-day job stuff running alongside the fantastical stuff would improve the balance for me.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

But that was almost universally agreed to be the worst part of the show.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

BSam posted:

Who is this universal?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

BSam posted:

Yeah, that was Jessica Jones's (the show, not the titular character) only flaw IMO. Too much Jessica investigating (which in this case meant dialogue-free, boring walking-around-scenes that drag on and on) in the early episodes. While in-character, it just felt like unnecessary padding to fill the 13-episode order. With chaff like that cut out the story would have fit in 10 flawless episodes.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

less laughter posted:

Yeah, that was Jessica Jones's (the show, not the titular character) only flaw IMO. Too much Jessica investigating (which in this case meant dialogue-free, boring walking-around-scenes that drag on and on) in the early episodes. While in-character, it just felt like unnecessary padding to fill the 13-episode order. With chaff like that cut out the story would have fit in 10 flawless episodes.

There will always be someone bitching about it.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
What do you mean?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

10 episode order doesn't have enough room to breathe or 13 episode order isn't tight enough.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Well that leaves 11 or 12. We can do this people. We can Fix Television Forever.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
11.36 episodes is the ideal count.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

All that means is those sections needed improving, not that less of them were warranted.

Numbuh 212
Feb 19, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

What's a website that I can say "I watch these shows" and then it makes an iCal or exchange calendar for me to subscribe to so I know when all my shows air?

I really like myepisodes.com, it lets me decide how far forward and back to keep track of unwatched episodes, and it can tell me that I've wasted at least 3 months, 1 weeks, 4 days, 23 hours, and 40 minutes of my life watching TV. Apparently if you want an iCal feed, though, you have to be a VIP (donate $2.50 a month).

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

GreenNight posted:

10 episode order doesn't have enough room to breathe or 13 episode order isn't tight enough.

Either can apply depending on the specific story and it's a valid critique for many shows that get released via the binge watch model (as is the episodic vs. one long movie paradigm which gets brought up often in this context as well). Dismissing it as just bitching doesn't really add anything to the discussion or provide any insight.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Making the whole season available at once isn't a binge watching model, it's a binge watching opportunity. One might say, a responsibility if you're finding your television experience negatively affected by consuming large quantities of a series in a brief period instead of pacing yourselves, you psychic fat fucks.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
No dummy, some binge watch model shows actually get written and produced with binge watching in mind, so it is valid to critique them as such. E.g. just having all episodes be one long movie instead of actual episodes.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

less laughter posted:

It's not like the count was sprung on them. It was set even before day one, they just failed to deliver.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/westworld-production-shut-down-1201681678/

HBO closed down Westworld production for 2 months. poo poo is hosed.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Mu Zeta posted:

*punches entire arm through wall*

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Gonz posted:

*punches entire arm through wall*

They're still on track to premiere in 2016, but yeah, this has apparently been a tricky show to break.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There's also the failed David Fincher/Utopia project. WTF HBO

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Snak posted:

Well the end of each series is them establishing their business as solid with their back-story angst resolved...

I do wish that Matt Murdock was portrayed as a good lawyer.

Good law rarely makes for good television unfortunately.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013
In potentially awesome news, Nahnatchka Khan is trying to do a Don't Trust The B Christmas special:

http://www.themarysue.com/krysten-ritter-apt-23-xmas-party/

Norwegian Rudo fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Jan 19, 2016

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Season 2 of Agent Carter starts tonight on ABC, suckas.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The Iron Rose posted:

Good law rarely makes for good television unfortunately.

Besides, the snippets of legal stuff we saw in episode 3 was good enough to establish their legal credentials. They got off a guy who stone cold murdered a dude by arguing the facts of the case and using the claim of self-defense to reverse the burden of proof onto the prosecution, and Matt's closing argument was really good. We don't need a whole episode of Matlock here.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I do hope we see a Matt Murdock Vs Carrie Anne Moss legal battle in DD2.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Norwegian Rudo posted:

In potentially awesome news, Nahnatchka Khan is trying to do a Don't Trust The B Christmas special:

I want this very much please

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Mu Zeta posted:

They did the same for THE LEFTOVERS. I'm sure they'll be fine.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhV4whO0Xps

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Seinfeldisforjerks.gif

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo Outlander took a dive off the quality cliff about 8 episodes in.

...do any of the good characters come back? because it feels like they're just gone. Like that part of the show is over. I hope that that isn't the case, but uh... it sure seems like it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Is the reverse thing a Youtube thing or a Japanese thing?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Norwegian Rudo posted:

I'm not a religious man but if there is a god I will pray to you if this gets made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Snak posted:

Holy poo poo Outlander took a dive off the quality cliff about 8 episodes in.

...do any of the good characters come back? because it feels like they're just gone. Like that part of the show is over. I hope that that isn't the case, but uh... it sure seems like it.
I'm not sure who you are referring to as 'the good characters.' Episode 8 was the midseason finale and I think ep 9 was really strong as well. There is an interlude around episode 14 (title)The Search which I didn't like much at all, but...?

Episode 11 is one of my favorites though.

• Locked thread