Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Icochet posted:

I'm pretty sceptical about aliens but special agent Scully should've maybe relaxed her attitude a bit after the, say, fifth time she met some

TBF any time an angel was mentioned Scully was practically climbing over Mulder to investigate it. So it's not like she wasn't without her own beliefs in the supernatural or unknown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I like the idea of goons watching that stabilized footage of weapons grade tracking/targeting camera footage and saying "that's clearly lint" because that's a known issue that pops up regularly on those aircraft and that system that's never been accounted for, and they know this from their time spent researching and or using or working with them, obviously.

Now queue the YES BUT THE RAPTOR IN THE RAIN posts in 3..2...

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Isn't it telling that no matter how much imaging technology develops, we never get a clear image of an alien spacecraft? Common cameras and military sensors are both vastly better now than they were, say, 40 years ago, yet UFO images are not. UFO observations always exist on the edges of current imaging capabilities - when the image is clear, it's of course no longer unidentified, and it's never identified as an alien spaceship.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I was actually riding on that gimbal mounted camera on the outside of the jet and had binoculars focused on it intently and I KNOW what I saw, alright?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Big Beef City posted:

I like the idea of goons watching that stabilized footage of weapons grade tracking/targeting camera footage and saying "that's clearly lint" because that's a known issue that pops up regularly on those aircraft and that system that's never been accounted for, and they know this from their time spent researching and or using or working with them, obviously.

Now queue the YES BUT THE RAPTOR IN THE RAIN posts in 3..2...

I don't care how wobbly the original footage is, at the end of the day it's still just Goose and Iceman going hog wild about a weird blip

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I can understand wanting to debunk UFO stuff so badly. I think there are UFO's and perhaps even aliens but I can't stand the people who inhabit a large chunk of the UFO community.. The UFO community is absolutely chock full of weirdos and goofs and the idea itself lends itself well to conspiracy theories and new-age religions. What happens is you get a strong dichotomy of thought whereby everything you see must have a mundane explanation or the opposite where everything you see is alien in nature. Some stuff is unexplained and is of interest for that reason.
For example, last night I found out about this guy named Richard Dolan. He's a ufologist who looks through history and collects stories and seems like a fairly objective guy. Then I heard another podcast with him where he is basically stating that his wife is a remote viewer and that there is a giant cabal of rich people controlling the earth and that they know everything (I'm exaggerating... kind of). I had to shut it off at that point. I wish there was some research done with an open mind but not flying off into lala land open.
I think these phenomena should demand some serious scientific attention and from the sounds of it, the military is at varying levels of concerned. I mean, when it comes to other woo woo poo poo like ghosts, you don't see the military releasing videos of those.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Tarkus posted:

I can understand wanting to debunk UFO stuff so badly. I think there are UFO's and perhaps even aliens but I can't stand the people who inhabit a large chunk of the UFO community.. The UFO community is absolutely chock full of weirdos and goofs and the idea itself lends itself well to conspiracy theories and new-age religions. What happens is you get a strong dichotomy of thought whereby everything you see must have a mundane explanation or the opposite where everything you see is alien in nature. Some stuff is unexplained and is of interest for that reason.
For example, last night I found out about this guy named Richard Dolan. He's a ufologist who looks through history and collects stories and seems like a fairly objective guy. Then I heard another podcast with him where he is basically stating that his wife is a remote viewer and that there is a giant cabal of rich people controlling the earth and that they know everything (I'm exaggerating... kind of). I had to shut it off at that point. I wish there was some research done with an open mind but not flying off into lala land open.
I think these phenomena should demand some serious scientific attention and from the sounds of it, the military is at varying levels of concerned. I mean, when it comes to other woo woo poo poo like ghosts, you don't see the military releasing videos of those.

The problem with looking at these things from a scientific perspective is that there's no way to actually test these claims or otherwise look into them in any reliable manner. "We don't know" is honestly the best explanation we have and thats unfortunately an extremely boring answer. I've been hyperbolizing my dismissiveness but really the best thing you can say about these things is that they happened, they look weird to people with a good grasp of these things, and we need more information about what they are. And almost by definition the only people that are gonna claim to know what it is or even probably is are gonna be crackpots.

Personally if you put a gun to my head I'd say aliens is probably the least likely explanation but I can't rule it out either.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
I mean, I’ve flown a lot of different planes, have seen an insane amount of stuff fly both from the ground and in the air, and have also utilized military targeting pods when I was in the Air Force.

That gimbal video spooks the hell out of me because it is like nothing I have ever seen before or since. Other folks I know who have even more amounts of aviation knowledge are also in agreement that it is weird as hell.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Also of note that navy pilots form a significant portion of the air defense interceptor force as they do that a lot and to do that you have to be able to identify pretty much anything from Cessnas to Bears, and they do a lot of that via the targeting pods these days so them being that completely wowed by what they’re seeing is not normal

dodecahardon
Oct 20, 2008
One of the pilots also comments that "there's a whole fleet of 'em" so it appears that their instruments are picking up more than just the object shown in the video.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

This is worth a read - it's not just a camera artifact

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/26/us/politics/ufo-sightings-navy-pilots.html

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Tetramin posted:

Well conspiracy BBS boards were really fuckin popular in the 90s. I’m pretty sure that’s where a lot of the material came from. Most of the stuff you hear people talking about didn’t originate from the x files

For sure. It's the first place I heard a lot of it.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I also like the longer version that shows a different encounter and the pilots reactions to THAT one:

https://nyti.ms/37KSGPG

One of the flight crew just pumped he was able to get it tracked because it's going SO fast and they're both blown away by how it's flying (the first part is a repeat of the earlier video but it's short, just skip that I guess)

I don't actually give a poo poo or really think it is aliens but if those things don't fit 'unidentified' flying object criteria? Not sure what to tell ya.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Dec 11, 2020

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
Swamp gas

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I used to be one of the people who tut-tutted about UFO stuff but I've noticed lately that many more credible witnesses are coming out of the woodwork namely military personnelle, commercial pilots, military pilots and others with reputations that get sullied when they come out with this stuff. I mean, there are even senators, ministers and other former government officiaries from various world governments stating that they don't know WTF but this stuff does exist. In some cases we could call it a grift perhaps but I'm not sure what a lot of these people would stand to gain from saying anything. Now that the navy is confirming that these videos are real and they don't know what they are begs the question... what are they?

They could be terrestrial, but who would have craft like that? And assuming that even 1% of the stories from the past were true, who would have that technology 70 years ago? Is this all some mass delusion? Some sort of natural phenomena that is outside of bounds of our knowledge being misinterpreted? I genuinely wish I knew. One thing I do know though is that humasn are truly not ready for aliens to show up on our doorstep. Like, we can't even handle immigrants on our own planet much less whatever could come from space. lol. Imagine the pants-making GBS threads everyone would do.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I actually think a lot of the officials and poo poo coming forward is them thinking "Heh I'll gently caress with 'em, it's a good story why not."

Ultimately I don't even think it MATTERS what they are because people have either been seeing them, or thinking they've been seeing them, or lying about seeing them forever. And it hasn't mattered jack poo poo. I think "It's aliens who've decided we aren't ready" is...OBVIOUSLY the most likely answer it is not aliens who've decided we're not ready. Their presence, whatever it is, hasn't done anything to affect us that we're aware of, so, in reality, who gives a gently caress what they are?

But I'd put money on "it's some weird poo poo that literally no one knows the answer to like some bizarre form of ball lightning" (To use a terrible trope) and people just ham it for fun or because they're brain damaged MUCH before "It's aliens, brah". Hell, even "We're testing secret drone programs and don't tell our own service branches about any of it" is super, 99.99% way more likely than that. Even if that means "Yep even back in WWII" or whatever. That's STILL more likely than aliens.

But it is FUN to think about what you don't and can't know, and so people do. It's when you start getting into the "Ok I can't explain it so...y'know it's possible if not probable...life from another galaxy came here to zip around our planes." That...no.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Dec 11, 2020

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Ratios and Tendency posted:

So it sounds like we're getting p.close to being let into the galactic federation, what do y'all think humans' racial bonus will turn out to have been?

Argumentative: +1 factionalism
Primitive: +1 nuclear arms
Unattractive: -1 charisma
Dumbfuck: -1 daily science

Elukka posted:

Isn't it telling that no matter how much imaging technology develops, we never get a clear image of an alien spacecraft? Common cameras and military sensors are both vastly better now than they were, say, 40 years ago, yet UFO images are not. UFO observations always exist on the edges of current imaging capabilities - when the image is clear, it's of course no longer unidentified, and it's never identified as an alien spaceship.

If it was identified it wouldn't be a UFO, numbnuts!!!

Play fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Dec 11, 2020

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

Julius CSAR posted:

I mean, I’ve flown a lot of different planes, have seen an insane amount of stuff fly both from the ground and in the air, and have also utilized military targeting pods when I was in the Air Force.

That gimbal video spooks the hell out of me because it is like nothing I have ever seen before or since. Other folks I know who have even more amounts of aviation knowledge are also in agreement that it is weird as hell.

This is the kind of thing that has me so interested in this story. This goon has more knowledge about planes and targeting pods than I do and he, like the pilots in the videos, is impressed and confused.

Maybe i'm just a stupid rube, but when the guys flying 70 million dollar jets with bombs and guns attached take a video of what looks like a goddamned flying saucer with some kid of forcefield aura around it and are saying "what the hell is that?" It's enough to for me to get excited. :shrug:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Tarkus posted:

I used to be one of the people who tut-tutted about UFO stuff but I've noticed lately that many more credible witnesses are coming out of the woodwork namely military personnelle, commercial pilots, military pilots and others with reputations that get sullied when they come out with this stuff. I mean, there are even senators, ministers and other former government officiaries from various world governments stating that they don't know WTF but this stuff does exist. In some cases we could call it a grift perhaps but I'm not sure what a lot of these people would stand to gain from saying anything. Now that the navy is confirming that these videos are real and they don't know what they are begs the question... what are they?

They could be terrestrial, but who would have craft like that? And assuming that even 1% of the stories from the past were true, who would have that technology 70 years ago? Is this all some mass delusion? Some sort of natural phenomena that is outside of bounds of our knowledge being misinterpreted? I genuinely wish I knew. One thing I do know though is that humasn are truly not ready for aliens to show up on our doorstep. Like, we can't even handle immigrants on our own planet much less whatever could come from space. lol. Imagine the pants-making GBS threads everyone would do.

Are you copy-pasting these?

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Who What Now posted:

Are you copy-pasting these?

How so? Am I repeating myself?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

old beast lunatic posted:

This is the kind of thing that has me so interested in this story. This goon has more knowledge about planes and targeting pods than I do and he, like the pilots in the videos, is impressed and confused.

Maybe i'm just a stupid rube, but when the guys flying 70 million dollar jets with bombs and guns attached take a video of what looks like a goddamned flying saucer with some kid of forcefield aura around it and are saying "what the hell is that?" It's enough to for me to get excited. :shrug:

If this is a technical malfunction, the people best equipped to know what this might be are not the pilots but the engineers or technicians. Like, if your VW car engine is throwing error codes the best and most experienced driver in the world is not gonna be able to tell you what the gently caress is wrong with it and might just suggest a UFO

Who What Now posted:

The problem with looking at these things from a scientific perspective is that there's no way to actually test these claims or otherwise look into them in any reliable manner. "We don't know" is honestly the best explanation we have and thats unfortunately an extremely boring answer. I've been hyperbolizing my dismissiveness but really the best thing you can say about these things is that they happened, they look weird to people with a good grasp of these things, and we need more information about what they are. And almost by definition the only people that are gonna claim to know what it is or even probably is are gonna be crackpots.

Personally if you put a gun to my head I'd say aliens is probably the least likely explanation but I can't rule it out either.

Depending on how often this stuff happens and whether it's localized, there might be some actual science that can be done here. Like, regularly patrol the area with the fastest planes we have and equip it with scientific equipment like some basic spectrometers, a magnetometer, a laser, high resolution video equipment, etc.If it actually manages to catch something, it might tell us how to shoot down the thing. But ultimately, only the DoD knows if it's something worth pursuing

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

old beast lunatic posted:

What if 69 millions of the price tag just go into someone's pockets and you're living a lie this entire time? It's not like you're a military aerospace engineer

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Elukka posted:

You know how Superman shakes his face at like 1 million rpm so no one can take pictures of him? It’s the same thing.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

GABA ghoul posted:

If this is a technical malfunction, the people best equipped to know what this might be are not the pilots but the engineers or technicians. Like, if your VW car engine is throwing error codes the best and most experienced driver in the world is not gonna be able to tell you what the gently caress is wrong with it and might just suggest a UFO

Interviews posted with the videos have claimed in multiple cases that the planes are being vectored onto the radar contacts made by ships, so if it's a technical malfunction you'd think that wouldn't happen. Hell, even in the videos, the pilots mention or imply they're tracking it by other means as well. That's one hell of a technical glitch.

As far as "are these a regular thing" we simply don't know. The military has released enough videos to show something is out there, and claim very firmly to not know what it is, which is a fairly plausible claim between the demonstrated capabilities and the fact that if it WAS some skunkworks drone or something, nobody would test it on military targets not read into the test. There's been plenty of claims, often from pilots or radar techs interviewed along with the videos, that these targets often submerge or emerge from under the sea at the beginning of contact. If we're tracking them down there too, the Navy isn't saying, but that's not a surprise since they still don't even officially admit that that the National Underwater Reconnaissance Office even exists.

I'm far from an expert, but I suspect that the military is holding back a lot of information/contact reports not because they somehow explain things but because the technology used to record them is sensitive and we'd rather worry about the Russians figuring out the range on a radar system or some poo poo than try to figure out these UFOs.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

GABA ghoul posted:

I was a technician my dude

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

MarcusSA posted:

You know how Superman shakes his face at like 1 million rpm so no one can take pictures of him? It’s the same thing.

Actually Clark Kent's glasses blur his face, due to being made of the same glass his krptonian space pod was made from interacting with his unfocused x-ray vision.

lol both explanations are real because comica are dumb

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
The pilot who saw it actually didn't even want to say anything because he was already getting made fun of by crewmmates over it. Career is everything to a lot of people in the military, especially pilots, so getting labeled as a weirdo is not something you do lightly. Plus, Navy ships were seeing something on radar too.

Also, intercepting airborne threats is literally his job, as well as the radar guys, and so is visual and sensor recon. If someone else called it in, these are the people they're going to send to check it out. I don't see how it could be a technical glitch affecting multiple systems on the aircraft, the pilot's own vision, and more than one ship's radar. If that is the case, the Navy has a big problem aliens or no aliens.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Weird how we only hear from pilots then, isn't it? Not a lot of radar-guys talking about weird blips.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Who What Now posted:

Weird how we only hear from pilots then, isn't it? Not a lot of radar-guys talking about weird blips.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/12/tic-tac-ufo-video-q-and-a-with-navy-pilot-chad-underwood.html

"The story of the Tic Tac begins around November 10, 2004, when radar operator Kevin Day first reported seeing odd and slow-moving objects flying in groups of five to ten off of San Clemente Island, west of the San Diego coast. At an elevation of 28,000 feet, moving at a speed of approximately 120 knots (about 138 miles per hour), the clusters were too high to be birds, too slow to be conventional aircraft, and were not traveling on any established flight path, at least according to Day."

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Who What Now posted:

https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/research/a29771548/navy-ufo-witnesses-tell-truth/

This part of the tale has been overshadowed by the videos.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Technicians, radar operators, pilots, and literal gun cam footage released officially by the Navy regarding multiple different encounters on different dates in different locations as a matter of state business.

"Haha probably just a gently caress up, man will these rubes EVER learn?"

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Dec 11, 2020

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Like, to me, this would be the same as if the Navy came out with weird sonar corroborating some odd sightings of what appeared to be a big rear end shark outside naval base San Diego and they can't disprove it's a leftover megalodon or just a huge fuckin great white.

Who cares? it's neat. It's fun.

But you don't get to just say "Nah it's fake" after they officially make press announcements about it and poo poo.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

lot of people comin in here saying "yeah its obviously a camera glitch :smuggo:" ignoring everything elseabout the story that suggest it's not local to just the cameras on the planes

maybe it's tiny green men or maybe it's some unexplained space jizz but it's not bird poo poo on the camera

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Thank you drunken poster, that was helpful from pages ago. May you go with the aliens' gods' peace to love and serve the lord.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

ROFLburger posted:

lot of people comin in here saying "yeah its obviously a camera glitch :smuggo:" ignoring everything elseabout the story that suggest it's not local to just the cameras on the planes

maybe it's tiny green men or maybe it's some unexplained space jizz but it's not bird poo poo on the camera

We’re joking :milk:

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Idk maybe the military is stupid, that's a fair point. Do we have any credible third party ufo accounts

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

poo poo

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I am absolutely not joking in any way about the fact that fighter pilots are the dumbest hominids on the planet

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Who What Now posted:

I am absolutely not joking in any way about the fact that fighter pilots are the dumbest hominids on the planet

Yeah they basically find people who are most like robots - they're able to memorize and follow rules and procedures without question or thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Who What Now posted:

what kind of fighter jet do you fly