Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Decon posted:

Nah, they don't. They believe it'll make you mad and that's why they pretend to believe it. They know drat well that they're just playing stupid word games.

You joke, but a chud relative of mine legitimately thinks Kamala Harris isn't "really" black.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Decon posted:

Nah, they don't. They believe it'll make you mad and that's why they pretend to believe it. They know drat well that they're just playing stupid word games.

The stuff they actually believe is pretty horrible on its own.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Mr. Lobe posted:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I mean. He already keeps bad posters around for 'engagement'. Not that much different from Twitter's current rules.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/cmonmack1/status/1546355722044203010?s=21&t=4RYUst5BEEFsONlMsvjfig

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

did twitter actually tell elon “no” at any point, as the top block in the meme suggests? i thought they just enacted a clause to prevent hostile takeovers, they offered him a board position which fizzled, and then he made an offer to buy the whole place, which the board considered and accepted. was there a point where the board tried to refuse the offer and got overruled somehow?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

JediTalentAgent posted:

For some reason, I was thinking there might have been something else going on with Twitter involving Tesla and that company's self-driving cars. Does Twitter as a company have any ownership or patents on anything that could be exploited for that?

Twitter owns a tremendous volume of user data, the hearts and minds of America's media establishment, and absolutely zero useful technology lmao

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 43 hours!

Bad Purchase posted:

did twitter actually tell elon “no” at any point, as the top block in the meme suggests? i thought they just enacted a clause to prevent hostile takeovers, they offered him a board position which fizzled, and then he made an offer to buy the whole place, which the board considered and accepted. was there a point where the board tried to refuse the offer and got overruled somehow?

It doesn't matter if they did or didn't tell him "no", since Brane Jenius Musk waived due diligence before signing the deal. He had buyer's remorse almost immediately after signing the deal, this is all just theater designed to save face. The problem for ol' Musky is that Twitter has, quite rightly, been telling him to eat poo poo and honor the terms of their deal.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Durzel posted:

Honestly the funniest thing would be Twitter just straight up banning him, although they can't easily do that with obvious legitimacy within the confines of their own rules.

They could just update their terms and conditions with: "Signing paperwork to buy Twitter Inc. and then trying to weasel out of it will get you banned."
:wave:

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021
I mgight be late on this, but has anyone yet said:

Felon Musk?

:smug:

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

banning someone who is intentionally loving with your business is a no-brainer, they don’t need a specific clause because they already have the right to ban anyone for any reason.

they won’t either because they want musk to continue digging himself deeper, they’re worried about competition from wherever musk would land after leaving twitter, or their lawyers told them not to because it would look bad in court to ban the person they are suing because they want him to be their new boss.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Durzel posted:

Apologies if already posted - but I read this and felt like it answers a lot of questions:

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2022-07-09/elon-s-out

There is an interesting point made about whether or not Elon would actually comply with anything if ordered to by a lower court, "What if the court orders Musk to close the deal and he says no? They’re not gonna put him in Chancery jail", and what impact this would have on the Delaware corporate law system as a whole.

I kinda feel like it's all very well courts telling normal people they are bound by XYZ and are ordered to do ABC, but billionaires? Billionaires who are more than happy to weaponize ~100M of followers?

That's not really how it works. The vast majority of Elon's money is in Tesla stock, Tesla is a publicly traded company whose stock flows through the New York Stock Exchange. If Elon doesn't comply with a court order the court could simply seize Elon's stock and threaten to liquidate his holdings to make good on his end of the obligation, which nobody wants because it seriously gently caress with both Tesla and Twitter stock values. Elon might thumb his nose at a Chancery court but the various individuals who actually hold his money absolutely won't if hit with subpoenas.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Bad Purchase posted:

banning someone who is intentionally loving with your business is a no-brainer, they don’t need a specific clause because they already have the right to ban anyone for any reason.

they won’t either because they want musk to continue digging himself deeper, they’re worried about competition from wherever musk would land after leaving twitter, or their lawyers told them not to because it would look bad in court to ban the person they are suing because they want him to be their new boss.

Also they probably don't want the Musk cultists coming after them.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

imagine thinking people own memes.

that Instagram/reddit poo poo really hosed up the whole share and share alike environment

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Unless his tweets start threatening to materially harm Twitter something tells me they're not going to take a hard line on loudmouth celebrity oafs posting on their site as much as possible. It only happened to Trump cause for a minute there people were really worried he was going to bring the feds down on them

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jul 11, 2022

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Bad Purchase posted:

Yeah they told him no, at the start when he was just buying a shitload of twitter shares they wanted nothing to do with him. Even the board position was kinda obligatory -- if someone owns that many shares you kinda have to give them that.

But most of it was because he was getting semi-control of the company for cheaper than they felt they could get from a buyout. And the board seat fell through because Elon had already violated securities laws by not disclosing his position.

Once Musk got baited into saying "ok I'll just buy twitter" and they called his bluff, that's when they were happy to sell for $54 a share.

Bad Purchase posted:

Banning him might be argued as a violation of the non-disparagement part. I think when Elon was harassing twitter workers he was kinda trying o get them to take action against his account, but twitter didn't bite.

also your username / thread content synergy is excellent :hehe:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They should edit all his posts to be childish statements about the size of his dick and his inability to understand basic concepts.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Deptfordx posted:

Also they probably don't want the Musk cultists coming after them.

I was actually thinking that jailing Musk--regardless of the reason--would absolutely result in acts of terrorism.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Label his followers an international terrorist group so they can be hunted down by the military.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Doctor Butts posted:

I mean. He already keeps bad posters around for 'engagement'. Not that much different from Twitter's current rules.

you think he should do that? Just ban all of gbs?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Every groyper who can figure out how to access a school and an AR15 is already engaging in acts of terrorism, are we supposed to worry about the ones who can't reach even that bar own goaling in their mom's basement cause their hairplug iron man got in trouble?

The dude's a great illustration of the difference between having a lot of money and having a lot of power. The problem people think the courts might have with him is that imprisoning capitalists makes all the other capitalists nervous, and he blatantly refuses to play along with the little show penalties that exist for that class where they pay a couple hours' income in fines and promise to be good boys from now on. That historically doesn't tend to lead to the total collapse of the system, if he doesn't cave it usually just means the guy in Musk's boat ends up shooting himself twice in the back of the head in a few months

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jul 11, 2022

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

At least space x is still going OK
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1546639772621365248?s=20&t=88KDsM3k7JIU4-H8IW3aoA
:lmao:

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

EVIL Gibson posted:

imagine thinking people own memes.

that Instagram/reddit poo poo really hosed up the whole share and share alike environment

I mean you can own memes, they just got to be stuff that takes real effort to make and not lcd crap like 4 pics and some captions.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i'm sure the guy who owns the pepe frog will be getting his royalties any day now

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I mean doesnt he have a network of some copyright lawyers working probono helping him hammer some nazis that use his poo poo? he's successful enough that the proud boys and other groups have moved to making their own "legally distinct" green amphibian that feels nice.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
Switchblade Switcharoo

PhazonLink posted:

I mean you can own memes, they just got to be stuff that takes real effort to make and not lcd crap like 4 pics and some captions.

steals ur memes

yes, this video of snagglepuss pooping is top quality

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

PhazonLink posted:

Exactly. You can't own memes.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
you cant own memes but people have been brutally owned by memes. makes u think....

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/btaylor/status/1546965769983889409

It begins.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Wonder how stupid Elon was in using Twitter to communicate some of his stupid ideas. Surely he wouldn't have said anything in DMs that could possibly get him into trouble?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
0th rule of DMs/PMs : yes theres stupid poo poo / good dirt there.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo
So how's my favorite African American?

.....oh, poo poo really? that's a lol

edit: yah Elon should be fined for pulling out if he was shown any sensitive information which, from his responses, were quite sensitive.

Unless Elon wasn't required to sign a legally valid NDA then get hosed Twitter. What are you even doing?

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jul 13, 2022

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Help me cause i aint the legaling type but by waiving his right to inspection of the business and such,
doesnt whatever amount of bots is irrelevant

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Barudak posted:

Help me cause i aint the legaling type but by waiving his right to inspection of the business and such,
doesnt whatever amount of bots is irrelevant

Not quite, the due diligence is stuff that happens before you sign the deal.

So by waiving due diligence, what that means is "I will take Twitter's word as true about everything they say about the business, rather than get their data and books to run the numbers myself while we're still negotiating".

But if hypothetically Twitter was super lying about something, for example the % of bots, that is not covered by waiving due diligence. Twitter in that case would have done a bad thing and be in violation of the merger deal (in which Twitter said "these numbers are truthful" and Elon said "I accept that you're telling the truth").

Twitter would then have to pay the $1 billion to Elon, and also get hosed up by the SEC for lying to their shareholders.

Which is all very unlikely. One of the people in this deal has a history of lying to their shareholders, and it ain't Twitter.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/lib_crusher/status/1546988258839642116

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
Is that on trumps social media website he had someone else make for him?

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

god please help me posted:

Is that on trumps social media website he had someone else make for him?

Yeah.. Truth Social or whatever... The red checkmark indicates it

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I wish Trump had just stuck to savaging people on twitter instead if imploding america.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Klyith posted:

Not quite, the due diligence is stuff that happens before you sign the deal.

So by waiving due diligence, what that means is "I will take Twitter's word as true about everything they say about the business, rather than get their data and books to run the numbers myself while we're still negotiating".

But if hypothetically Twitter was super lying about something, for example the % of bots, that is not covered by waiving due diligence. Twitter in that case would have done a bad thing and be in violation of the merger deal (in which Twitter said "these numbers are truthful" and Elon said "I accept that you're telling the truth").

Twitter would then have to pay the $1 billion to Elon, and also get hosed up by the SEC for lying to their shareholders.

Which is all very unlikely. One of the people in this deal has a history of lying to their shareholders, and it ain't Twitter.

Did he waive due diligence though? Sounded like twitter was refusing to provide any of the internal user data until after he agreed to the deal and started making threats. I would guess twitter has been lying for years about bot and shill type accounts.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sophy Wackles posted:

Did he waive due diligence though? Sounded like twitter was refusing to provide any of the internal user data until after he agreed to the deal and started making threats. I would guess twitter has been lying for years about bot and shill type accounts.

He waived due diligence in an effort to buy them faster, thats the central problem for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Sophy Wackles posted:

I would guess twitter has been lying for years about bot and shill type accounts.

there's also a lot of intentional confusion being put out by elon about the bot metrics. from what i've seen, twitter never publishes anything about the raw number of bots they know about (probably because it would be embarrassingly high). instead they publish metrics about "monetizable users" and then estimate that 5% of those are probably bots. what percentage of total twitter accounts are "monetizable users" is not public. but twitter could be 80% bot accounts by volume, and twitter would still not be lying when they report 5% of monetizable users are bots as long as the number of monetizable users is only about 20% of the total accounts that exist (i.e., only the ones they think are real humans).

but elon has been trying to make it seem like twitter lied to the public about 5% of all twitter accounts being bots, which everyone knows is obviously too low... probably by a full order of magnitude.