Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Thank you for reminding me about this. Peter Capaldi is a stand-up guy. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Craptacular! posted:

It's basically this but with the entire Doctor Who revival fandom in the role of a disadvantaged child.

One can make a very solid argument for huge swaths of both OldWho and NewWho fans being mentally disadvantaged, so from a certain perspective it was a necessary evil.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I know that nobody means any harm by it, but seeing the actual autistic child experience emotional difficulty over her imaginary friend makes it seem kinda mean whenever anyone insults continuity-obsessed nerdlingers by calling them autistic.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

For the record I wasn't even calling Who nerds--myself included--autistic. I used "mentally disadvantaged." That probably wasn't the best term, and I'm with you on mean-spirited internet people using the term "autistic" the way kids in the 90s used "gay."

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

mind the walrus posted:

For the record I wasn't even calling Who nerds--myself included--autistic. I used "mentally disadvantaged." That probably wasn't the best term, and I'm with you on mean-spirited internet people using the term "autistic" the way kids in the 90s used "gay."

No, I know you weren't. It wasn't supposed to be a subtle guilt trip or anything, sorry if the timing made it seem that way.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I still have to remind myself not to use "sperg"

hey Occ an extra on the version of Dude Bro Party Massacre 3 I got is a 45-minute 5sf compilation video, so now I just have 45 minutes of 5sf on my HD forever, rad as gently caress

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Bown posted:

I still have to remind myself not to use "sperg"

hey Occ an extra on the version of Dude Bro Party Massacre 3 I got is a 45-minute 5sf compilation video, so now I just have 45 minutes of 5sf on my HD forever, rad as gently caress

please tell me it had this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhp9Tsw7Oyk

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I got so bored with there being no Doctor Who recently that between now and when you posted your previous review, I watched all of JoJo.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

you should watch black lagoon, the Best Anime, DW

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I'm sorry you seem to have misspelled "cowboy bebop"

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

And here I thought Toxx was supposed to be the bearer of bad opinions

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

In what universe is "cowboy bebop is The Best" a bad opinion

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

DoctorWhat posted:

In the one where Cromartie High exists

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I like the newspaper and all but my favourite Strax moment was his attempt to stop Clara worrying about the Doctor by saying he had almost certainly been murdered by "the violent poor".

It was also sweet how they took the ridiculous comic relief character and had him do the extremely badass thing of almost killing himself to buy his friends time :unsmith:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

DoctorWhat posted:

I got so bored with there being no Doctor Who recently that between now and when you posted your previous review, I watched all of JoJo.

Hell, because there's no new episodes yet I'm actually sitting down and watching classic Doctor Who. As in, no computer, no cell phone, no distractions. The way it was meant to be watched!

This is the greatest day of my life (aside from getting married and the day The Night of the Doctor was released). I never knew this video existed.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
So here's who we have playing for Season 8:

2house2fly, And More, Andrew_1985, AndwhatIseeisme, Attitude Indicator, Bicyclops, blasmeister, Bown, BSam, cargohills, Colonel Cool, death .cab for qt, DetoxP, DoctorWhat, egon_beeblebrox, ewe2, Gandalf21, Grouchio, Howe_sam, JoltSpree, Labratio, LabyaMynora, MikeJF, onetruepurple, Organza Quiz, Paul.Power, Rat Flavoured Rats, Senerio, Sinestro, Xenoborg

I have had to dig a few messages out of my spam filter, so please do let me know if your name isn't on this list in case I missed you (or missed you for other, stupider reasons).

If you haven't voted, and want to vote on this first episode, I'd advise doing it quickly since Toxx just posted the summary link! Speaking of which, since he DID already link it...

This episode opens with a dinosaur roughly the size of That Clock Tower Big Ben is In, otherwise known to pretty much everyone who doesn't live right next to it as Big Ben. It's roaring, but you can barely hear it over the sound of nerds arguing about whether it's okay for it to be that big, including Madam Vastra, the greeniest, lizardiest nerd on the show, and Jenny, her ninja-slash-maid-slash-wife, who get in a brief round of it before being interrupted by Inspector Some Guy. Inspector Stock Character is very relieved that the weird poo poo experts have arrived to do something about the ridiculous dinosaur that is presumably a few moments from eating everyone in sight, and there's a bit of banter about that, including the super obvious observation that a dinosaur probably got there by time travel. As the thing vomits up the TARDIS to the surprise of basically nobody, Inspector I Think He's Wearing a Funny Hat In This Scene, Maybe offers Vastra an opportunity for a sick burn about how dumb he is. Vastra and Jenny go over to say hi to the Doctor, pausing only to hand Inspector Seriously Who Even Knows What This Guy's Name Is Without Looking It Up a bag full of plot devices to keep the dinosaur from eating anybody so it can be comic relief until the episode decides to raise the stakes and become serious and dramatic by killing it later. (Just kidding, that won't happen. (It totally happens.))

Madam Vastra sends Strax over to knock on the TARDIS just in case it's been infested with beetles or something. He demands the occupants surrender to the Sontaran Empire, but in a kind of desultory way, as if he isn't really feeling this episode yet. The Doctor Peter Capaldis his way out of the TARDIS and says a bunch of bizarre random poo poo, forgets everyone's name, and passes out unconscious in the mud. You can tell he's not doing well because he mistakes Clara for Handles, and Clara isn't nearly that interesting a character yet. So the Paternoster game hauls him off to Vastra's place where, with a certain amount of arguing about the nature and purpose of bedrooms, they get him to go to sleep with the power of Lizard Smugness accompanied by the absolute worst sound effect Doctor Who has ever used, and yes I'm counting all that poo poo in the sixties.

Meanwhile, a thick British stereotype is murdered by one of the robots from The Girl in the Fireplace.

Vastra puts on her second-best Sunday Veil just to see if she can project smug straight through it, and boy howdy can she! Clara takes a large quantity of poo poo for being a little sad that the guy she knew is suddenly and unexpectedly Peter Capaldi and learns an important lesson about how it's what's on the inside that counts. By the end of this talk they are actually communicating like real people and it's kind of nice, so the scene ends pretty quickly since we can't have any of that. While all this has been happening, the Doctor has woken up and climbed out the window in a night shirt (he thinks the door is too boring, and who can argue?) to flirt with the dinosaur. He promises to save it and protect it and take it home at such length that the thing bursts into flame and dies from the sheer force of dramatic irony.

Everyone leaps into action in their own various ways. The doctor falls through a tree and argues with a horse upside-down, and while Yaketty Sax doesn't actually play, it might as well have. Everyone meets up at the burning dinosaur carcass, and there is a grinding thump as Moffat pulls a giant EPISODE QUALITY lever into a new and intriguing position. The Doctor quickly deduces that if there is a person in London NOT rubbernecking at the goddamned burning dinosaur, that's a person he wants to talk to about the Devilish Case of the Burning Dinosaur Murder, and, accordingly, leaps into the river to go and chase that person. The rest of the Gang decides to investigate the murder too, not so much because they actually care what happened to the dinosaur as because that's pretty much the only way they're going to see the Doctor's crazy rear end again for a while.

Instead of actually doing that, they go home and engage in some comedy bits. Comedy bits involving Strax, though, so who's going to argue? First he threatens a footman, then he knocks Clara unconscious with the London times by delivering it to her at speed, then he comically misunderstands her daydreaming about hot dudes, and lastly he delivers some comforting words in his own special Straxian way. (Strax: "You must stop worrying about him, my boy. By now, he's almost certainly had his throat cut by the violent poor.") Also, I guess Vastra is still eating criminals. I wonder what Inspector That loving Guy thinks of that?

In the next scene, we are finally and vigorously introduced to two of the three main stars of this episode, Peter Capaldi's Eyebrows and Peter Capaldi's Accent. The Doctor's investigations have taken him to a smelly alley, where he complains that he's cold, then alternately rants at a tramp and tries to steal his coat. He also takes a swipe at the Fourth Doctor's scarf, just to cement the fact that we shouldn't feel at all bad for him in this scene. Despite that, there are some really good lines in here, mostly due to Capaldi's delivery. ("Look, it's covered in lines. But I didn't do the frowning. Who frowned me this face? Do you ever look in the mirror and think, 'I've seen that face before?'") and eventually he finds a clue about spontaneous combustion by scrabbling around in the trash.

Back in Lizardland, Vastra is painting Jenny. Only not really, she just made her pose because she thinks she's hot. They've got some seriously complicated poo poo going on in their relationship. Vastra summarizes her evidence, namely that people just mysteriously catch on fire and maybe that has to do with the dinosaur that mysteriously caught on fire. Jenny points out that this is a good way of concealing anything weird that might be going on with the bodies, which is super useful for the audience to know, and then Clara comes in with a newspaper with an ad addressed to The Impossible Girl (noooooo, WHYYYYY). By relying on her sense of the Doctor's vague insanity and straightforward but screwed-up worldview, she deduces the location he wants to meet at. Everyone's just deducing the poo poo out of things in these scenes.

Clara meets the Doctor at a restaurant. He didn't leave the advertisement, as it turns out, but he deduced that she did based on his sense of her neediness and egomania. Before they have a chance to discuss this in any depth they are interrupted by all the other customers in the restaurant being evil robots from The Girl in the Fireplace (Clara: "Nothing is more important than my egomania."). The Doctor deduces that they are evil robots by noticing that they don't breathe. Their attempts to flee are blocked by these robot customers in basically the creepiest possible way, so the Doctor does the natural thing and asks for a children's menu and then pulls the waiter's face off. It turns out it is an actual face, like from a human being, so naturally he immediately puts it on Clara's face and clearly has no idea why this bothers her, thus cementing his position as the most amazing Doctor we've had yet. The waiter chooses this moment to mention that they DO have a children's menu as they are trapped by their chair and the entire table drops into an underground chamber.

I don't want to see their children's menu. :gonk:

After a certain amount of passing the sonic screwdriver back and forth which involves the Doctor taking a shot from it in the groin (Doctor: "Oh, the symbolism."), they managed to get free of their table, but they're still trapped underground. They examine the base of the robots from The Girl in the Fireplace, and the Doctor says they remind him of something, probably the robots from The Girl in the Fireplace, but he can't quite remember what (hint, it's The Girl in the Fireplace). The robots start to wake up, and they run like hell, but a falling door divides them, leaving Clara on the inside. She remembers the Doctor talking about them breathing in the restaurant, and we come to understand the name of the episode as she takes a deep breath and then sneaks around, the other robots convinced she's one of them because she isn't breathing. Since she isn't one of the evil robots from The Girl in the Fireplace, though, she eventually has to start breathing and is caught.

The Main Evil Robot interrogates her and she resists. It's pretty good. It transpires that he wants to go to the Promised Land, although I don't know what the hell Moses would make of this guy.

Clara, not to be left out of the deduction action, deduces that the Doctor is hanging around and calls for him. He, in turn, deduces that she has a way of summoning everybody else, at which point she does this ("Geronimo!") and the gang busts in for a Final Ninja Showdown With Bonus Pratfall By Strax. Clara is also pleasantly surprised to learn that Vastra has actually called the police about the robots from The Girl in the Fireplace, which pretty much dooms their scheme no matter what else happens. The Main Evil Robot (henceforth MER) runs for it, and the doctor chases him while everyone else begins a hopeless battle against the unending stream of apparently unkillable robot zombies from The Girl in the Fireplace.

Inspector I Really Thought He Would Be Shot In This Scene shows up, accomplishes nothing, and leaves again immediately.

The MER flees into the escape pod which pretty much everyone thinks is inactive. The Doctor discovers a chunk of electronics which shows that the crashed ship which brought all the evil robots to Gilligan's Planet was the SS Marie Antoinette, sister ship of the Madame De Pompadour, and because Moffat is determined to be cute about this to the very end, still does not realize that these are the evil robots from The Girl in the Fireplace. He does realize that destroying the MER will stop all the other robots, though. While this is happening, the MER activates the escape pod's new propulsion system, a HOT AIR BALLOON MADE OF HUMAN SKIN. We are introduced to the third important character in this episode, Peter Capaldi's Teeth, and he and the robot wrestle both verbally and physically, which is intercut with scenes of the gang fighting in the basement. This is not going well; Clara has the insight to tell everyone to hold their breath to delay things, but that can only last so long. Jenny starts to run out of air, and Vastra passes her some with a kiss. Strax gets ready to kill himself with his own gun when his air runs out to save his friends for a few more seconds. Clara tries vainly to get the sonic screwdriver to activate and do something. It's all very tense.

Back on the Human Skin Zeppelin, the Doctor and the MER are in a window. The robot has claimed it can't kill itself, and the Doctor has claimed he won't murder. Then we cut back downstairs with everyone about to die, and suddenly the robots deactivate, proving that one of them lied.

The TARDIS is gone by the time they get back. Then it shows up again. Peter Capaldi asks Clara to come along with him even though he isn't young and hot anymore. She isn't sure, but then Matt Smith calls her from the last episode and tells her to do it, so she does.

Roll credits. Wait, no. Instead of credits we cut to another scene with the MER waking up in a garden with someone claiming to be the Doctor's girlfriend, who tells it it has actually reached the Promised Land. As viewers, we are totally convinced that this is actually heaven and nothing sinister is happening.

Then the credits.

idonotlikepeas fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jul 8, 2015

kant
May 12, 2003

Beautiful.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

This episode will get 5/5 Straxii from me.

"And we will melt him with Acid!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
There's a host of good lines in this for an episode I hated at the time (like every Moffat episode I've watched I like it more when I rewatch it later). I just remembered:

Clara: You should make that sonic screwdriver voice activated.
[awkward pause]
Clara: It is, isn't it.
Doctor: I don't want to talk about it.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

Black Lagoon is basically Bebop but funnier and more audacious. Also it's got a contemporary setting and a lot of really clever and thematically interesting fights that are more compelling than Bebop's because Spike is largely treated as a shallow cipher.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

2house2fly posted:

There's a host of good lines in this for an episode I hated at the time (like every Moffat episode I've watched I like it more when I rewatch it later). I just remembered:

Clara: You should make that sonic screwdriver voice activated.
[awkward pause]
Clara: It is, isn't it.
Doctor: I don't want to talk about it.

After she drops it: "It's times like this I miss Amy."

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Y'all are somehow missing that FLCL is the best anime ever made.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

I've watched 329 episodes of One Piece in the last few months, no other anime exist for me right now.

(I have no idea what I'm going to do when I run out of dubbed episodes, though. :ohdear:)

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

thexerox123 posted:

I've watched 329 episodes of One Piece in the last few months, no other anime exist for me right now.

(I have no idea what I'm going to do when I run out of dubbed episodes, though. :ohdear:)

Read the manga which isn't as god awfully paced as the anime is.(until the more recent arcs, anyway)

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

black lagoon is if someone saw the christmas invasion swordfight and went "we should make a tv show of just that"

i mean for gently caress's sake this happens in the second loving episode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjASERYanDI

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Zaggitz posted:

Read the manga which isn't as god awfully paced as the anime is.(until the more recent arcs, anyway)

Yeah, that's basically my plan. I've already read the first few chapters of it! I'll probably just keep going from the beginning of the manga once I run out of dubs.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I thought Cowboy Bebop was the anime to try to get Westerners to understand and like it, it was the "gateway drug" recommended to me all the time, which is why it is one of the few that I have seen.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Bicyclops posted:

I thought Cowboy Bebop was the anime to try to get Westerners to understand and like it, it was the "gateway drug" recommended to me all the time, which is why it is one of the few that I have seen.

It's the Blink of anime, where it's a fine piece of media on its own but totally unrepresentative of the overall product (except with some stray references like the TARDIS or the sci-fi steampunk aesthetic for Doctor Who and anime respectively).

The Eleventh Hour of anime is what, Fullmetal Alchemist?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fullmetal Alchemist is one of the others I've seen. Also Trigun and a few one-off movies (all of which were terrible) whose titles I don't remember. Plus a ton of video games, obviously.

I always find myself enjoying the stories but frustrated with the tropes and styles of the medium itself, which I think probably just indicates it's not for me, and not that there is anything against it.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

computer parts posted:

It's the Blink of anime, where it's a fine piece of media on its own but totally unrepresentative of the overall product (except with some stray references like the TARDIS or the sci-fi steampunk aesthetic for Doctor Who and anime respectively).

Spirited Away.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

computer parts posted:

It's essentially the show that got me into anime a year or two ago, so I definitely agree with that! (And it's loving great.)

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Bicyclops posted:

I know that nobody means any harm by it, but seeing the actual autistic child experience emotional difficulty over her imaginary friend makes it seem kinda mean whenever anyone insults continuity-obsessed nerdlingers by calling them autistic.
I am also autistic. Except that I have emotional difficulty with my social life and career.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

Fullmetal Alchemist is one of the others I've seen. Also Trigun and a few one-off movies (all of which were terrible) whose titles I don't remember. Plus a ton of video games, obviously.

I always find myself enjoying the stories but frustrated with the tropes and styles of the medium itself, which I think probably just indicates it's not for me, and not that there is anything against it.

It also really depends on what type of anime you're looking at. The majority of stuff is designed for younger fans in Japan and that tends to feature the awful tropes/style even in really good works like FMA and Attack on Titan and even Berserk, but there are pockets of genuine adult/all-ages material that can go toe-to-toe with the best of live action cinema-- I'm thinking Satoshi Kon and Miyazaki's work-- and Kon's work in particular doesn't pull its punches when it comes to recognizing anime/fan culture for what it is.

Also Macross Plus, which is such a weird confluence of factors-- it's a melodrama set inside the world of a Giant Robot Franchise, directed by the guy who'd go on to do Cowboy Bebop, with a younger Bryan Cranston of all people doing the English dub--that works beautifully.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rkcg5A2-C28

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I never got big into anime but I love Trigun dearly. The English dub is terribly translated (imagine if the phrase "Bad Wolf" was actually a slightly different phrase each time it turned up, completely spoiling the concept of arc words) but I don't like the Japanese voice actor for the main character as much. Life is tough.

kant
May 12, 2003

thexerox123 posted:

Yeah, that's basically my plan. I've already read the first few chapters of it! I'll probably just keep going from the beginning of the manga once I run out of dubs.

I think you're good for a little longer but reconsider when you get past 405. It really does get to be ridiculous.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
idonotlikepeas, that synopsis is hilarious. if you wrote it yourself please tell me you're planning on doing them for the rest of the season. sorry these other fools are too busy arguing about anime to appreciate a good thing

and you're all wrong because Paranoia Agent is the best anime

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

idonotlikepeas posted:

So here's who we have playing for Season 8:

2house2fly, And More, Andrew_1985, AndwhatIseeisme, Attitude Indicator, Bicyclops, blasmeister, Bown, BSam, cargohills, Colonel Cool, death .cab for qt, DetoxP, DoctorWhat, egon_beeblebrox, ewe2, Gandalf21, Grouchio, Howe_sam, JoltSpree, Labratio, LabyaMynora, MikeJF, onetruepurple, Organza Quiz, Paul.Power, Rat Flavoured Rats, Senerio, Sinestro, Xenoborg

I've sent my guesses to toxxtorwho, probably missed mine.

Tatami Galaxy is the only good anime

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

computer parts posted:

FMA: Brotherhood, yes. og FMA is the RTD era of anime.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Bown posted:

idonotlikepeas, that synopsis is hilarious. if you wrote it yourself please tell me you're planning on doing them for the rest of the season. sorry these other fools are too busy arguing about anime to appreciate a good thing

and you're all wrong because Paranoia Agent is the best anime

Agreed. Both that synopsis and Paranoia Agent are excellent. Additionally, Paprika, Detroit Metal City, Jin-Roh and Ping Pong The Animation. JoJo is probably the most representative anime, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

fatherboxx posted:

I've sent my guesses to toxxtorwho, probably missed mine.

Tatami Galaxy is the only good anime

theexactusernameoftheguyrunningit@gmail.com

• Locked thread