Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CharlesM posted:

Is there a MSM that isn't sketchy?

I think maybe right when they were brand new they could be trusted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Miata people crack me up. The MSM is by far the best Miata that Mazda ever put out of the factory and yet it gets no love at all and regularly sells for half the price of certain NA and NB editions, stock for stock.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It's loved by everyone at mnet and it's a classic example of a car looking excellent on paper.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Does the NB shift lever have a backwards bend?

Changed the boots and I don't remember 3rd being this close to the centre console.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Edmund Honda posted:

Does the NB shift lever have a backwards bend?

Changed the boots and I don't remember 3rd being this close to the centre console.

I've done this - there should be a marking on the bare shifter to show which way is "up" (aka the front of the car).

Uninstall and turn the shifter 180 degrees, then report back.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

revmoo posted:

Miata people crack me up. The MSM is by far the best Miata that Mazda ever put out of the factory and yet it gets no love at all and regularly sells for half the price of certain NA and NB editions, stock for stock.

Don't people bitch because "the engine can't rev as high"? Even though it still makes more power? gently caress, I don't know.

I've said in here before, a good engine with a mediocre turbo kit is better than the other way around like on the MSP. Quit hatin'.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I'd buy the poo poo out of an MSM at the right price, the overall factory package is nice and for an NB it looks bad rear end. Easily the best looking NB ever made.

I'd actually like to get one with a blown motor, sell off the good turbo bits and put a K series in it :v:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Fucknag posted:

Don't people bitch because "the engine can't rev as high"? Even though it still makes more power? gently caress, I don't know.

I've said in here before, a good engine with a mediocre turbo kit is better than the other way around like on the MSP. Quit hatin'.

Turbo doesn't spool until 4k, fuel cut is 6.5k, close ratio 6-speed, and a 4.1 rear end.

It sounds good on paper.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Goober Peas posted:

Uninstall and turn the shifter 180 degrees, then report back.
Trip report: it's like ~1cm difference either way, why did they even bother engineering that.

(Thanks.)

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

My bone stock '93 makes a bit of a ... rattle on decel in gear. It's easier to hear with the top up but not super loud either way. Is this something to be concerned about?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Edmund Honda posted:

Trip report: it's like ~1cm difference either way, why did they even bother engineering that.

(Thanks.)

Jinba ittai, of course.

On the MSM topic, I always heard they had heat soak issues because of an undersized intercooler.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

A MIRACLE posted:

My bone stock '93 makes a bit of a ... rattle on decel in gear. It's easier to hear with the top up but not super loud either way. Is this something to be concerned about?

Does it happen at about the same RPM every time, say about 3500ish or so? My 95 would rattle subtly on decel as the RPMs dropped through that range and while I never figured it out I eliminated a number of things and I'm pretty sure it was an exhaust heat shield that would vibrate at a specific RPM frequency.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

A MIRACLE posted:

If it's metallic, chances are it's a heatshield somewhere before the cat.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Okay cool. I'm glad it's not the differential or something. Although there is a little bit of a whine that I can hear revving indoors. I think I'm going to pick up that good win racing exhaust / cat / header package and check out the firewall then.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Phone posted:

Turbo doesn't spool until 4k, fuel cut is 6.5k, close ratio 6-speed, and a 4.1 rear end.

It sounds good on paper.

Ours was at full boost at 3000. The downpipe upgrade helped a bit but even before it wasn't really that bad there's plenty of power band. The idea behind the MSM is that you keep it "on the boil" and drive the piss out of it. It's a very fast car if consider the power and handling combination. Especially in relation to other Miatas which was really my point. It may not be the best car out there but it kicks the crap out of every other MX-5 that Mazda has pumped out. The fact that all the quirks are fixable makes it even better. I'm sure you could trade the MSM diff for any other ratio LSD in a second if you cared about the gear ratios. Personally I think the gearing fits the car perfectly.

I'd get another one in a heartbeat and drop 1500 on go-faster parts and have a beast of a car. If you consider the full package:

Bilstein suspension
Leather seats (ok you really need the touring for this)
Turbo
Built tranny
LSD
Body kit
Mazdaspeed bushings/mounts
Random Mazdaspeed stuff _everywhere_

And then compare it to another MX-5. Again, not the best car but better than all the other Miatas by a extremely wide margin.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
The MSMs are stupid fast in estreet autocross on the right track. The NAs and NBs can't keep up. But if the track is wrong for their gearing they seem to be done.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Edmund Honda posted:

This is the same thought I had when I accidentally flipped the crank trigger on backwards when doing the timing belt on my NB. It has maybe a 2mm dish to it at most but it's just enough where backwards = no crank signal = OH poo poo IT'S NOT STARTING WHAT DID I gently caress UP

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

revmoo posted:

wat

e: lol, you're actually serious. MSMs are awful. The best MSMs out there are the ones with no MSM left under the hood. The ECU is horrible (bogging is an extremely common complaint, the only fix is dumping the ECU for a standalone), they spool late AND make crappy power, the 6500rpm rev limiter is awful, the "built tranny" has been proven to be no stronger than any other 6-speed, the factory wheels are boat anchors, I could go on. I'd never consider owning one, because all I'd want to do is rip the entire turbo/ECU setup out of it and replace it with proper aftermarket parts, and once you do that you're better off just buying a nice, low-miles SE 6sp car for thousands of dollars less and putting your own turbo system on it.

In fact, that's exactly what I plan to do once my current race car sells. Loaded SE with 6-speed and ABS and add my own turbo bits and ECU.

Savington fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Oct 14, 2014

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah half the problem of the MSM is cost, no way I'd pay what people are wanting for these things. I'd buy one for a reasonable price but I've never seen one reasonably priced because MSM FACTORY TURBO is worth an extra 4 to 5k apparently.

Still is the best looking NB tho, love the paint colors too.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.
It's hard for me to explain to potential customers why the engine core charge for their MSM is $2000 when there are no significant differences between that motor and a normal '99-00 BP4W.

crutt
Sep 13, 2003
Hamhock Captain.

crutt posted:

Local old guy offered me a 2000 miata ls with 130k miles for 3200. Looks good mechanically, but has a pretty gnarly dent behind the drivers door. I'm guessing if I can get it under 3k it will still be a good deal right?

So the car has a softball size dent behind the drivers door, and hes been working on smoothing out the rear quarter and bumper. We drove it and it had a bad stumble/hesitation, felt better after 4k. Once it got warmed up it was a TEENSY bit better. He said I could take it for $3k. I told him I'd think about it. Blah.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

revmoo posted:

I found one for a good price and it had 147K miles and the under the hood picture detailed the filthiest engine I'd ever seen in my life. On average MSMs sell for far more than most NBs.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

revmoo posted:

2004 MSM:

http://iowacity.craigslist.org/cto/4659184590.html

$14K

An hour and a half drive away:

http://desmoines.craigslist.org/cto/4676424562.html

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Savington posted:

It's hard for me to explain to potential customers why the engine core charge for their MSM is $2000 when there are no significant differences between that motor and a normal '99-00 BP4W.

Haha holy poo poo. What's the core charge for a "regular" BP, maybe 800 bucks? That's crazy.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

IOwnCalculus posted:

This is the same thought I had when I accidentally flipped the crank trigger on backwards when doing the timing belt on my NB. It has maybe a 2mm dish to it at most but it's just enough where backwards = no crank signal = OH poo poo IT'S NOT STARTING WHAT DID I gently caress UP

HA, I did that too. Kinda did a skip-pop-skip. I realized it right away because I remember thinking "Meh, it's obvious which way it goes on." when I took it off. I felt like committing seppuku because a professional should know better.

As far as the MSM goes, as soon as I first drove one I found myself wishing they had put in the 2.5 or 3.0 V6 like that test mule had. Still the best factory NA/NB though.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

Savington posted:

wat

e: lol, you're actually serious. MSMs are awful. The best MSMs out there are the ones with no MSM left under the hood. The ECU is horrible (bogging is an extremely common complaint, the only fix is dumping the ECU for a standalone), they spool late AND make crappy power, the 6500rpm rev limiter is awful, the "built tranny" has been proven to be no stronger than any other 6-speed, the factory wheels are boat anchors, I could go on. I'd never consider owning one, because all I'd want to do is rip the entire turbo/ECU setup out of it and replace it with proper aftermarket parts, and once you do that you're better off just buying a nice, low-miles SE 6sp car for thousands of dollars less and putting your own turbo system on it.

In fact, that's exactly what I plan to do once my current race car sells. Loaded SE with 6-speed and ABS and add my own turbo bits and ECU.

They were good, then some dbags in CA jacked up their PT classing. :v:

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Savington why don't you just throw a TSE turbo kit on it?

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

destructo posted:

Savington why don't you just throw a TSE turbo kit on it?

:drat: that's cold

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Removed the CEL and Airbag light, finally no more blinking lights in the cluster!

Also anyone know how to tell if a battery terminal is leaking? The positive terminal has been getting crazy amounts of corrosion, when I clean it off within two weeks it's covered again. An ase tech guy told me a terminal may be leaking or I have a draw in the car somewhere, kinda doubt there's a draw anywhere tho.

[edit] Found out it was the moisture from the water jug wedged next to it go figure :v:

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Oct 16, 2014

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Any NC owners running 18 inch wheels? I only ask because I'm tempted to put my winter wheels from the MS^ (18" stock wheels) on the Miata for the season. They have the same bolt pattern and offset so I don't think this would be earth shattering. Thoughts?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
IMO 18s are way too big and heavy for any miata, but then I have an NB with 15s :)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

mobby_6kl posted:

IMO 18s are way too big and heavy for any miata, but then I have an NB with 15s :)

The stock NC wheels are 17, it's not too much of a difference really. And the car already looks like it has a monster truck suspension.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I've seen NCs with smaller than stock wheels, probably the way to go if you want less unsprung weight. I imagine the stock wheels are pretty heavy.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

leica posted:

I've seen NCs with smaller than stock wheels, probably the way to go if you want less unsprung weight. I imagine the stock wheels are pretty heavy.

Smaller is not an option. I already have the 18" winters for the MS6. Just wondered how bad of an idea it would be.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Driving your miata in the winter is a bad idea when you have other cars to drive.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

leica posted:

Driving your miata in the winter is a bad idea when you have other cars to drive.

Just bouncing around ideas.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

You have a beater Civic, buy snow tires for that and drive that for a winter beater.

If you wanna keep the Miata nice you're gonna have to put it up for the winter.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

leica posted:

You have a beater Civic, buy snow tires for that and drive that for a winter beater.

If you wanna keep the Miata nice you're gonna have to put it up for the winter.

I'm handing the Civic off to my sister shortly. I'll probably roll in the 6 again this year. Like I said, just bouncing around ideas.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Miata winter driving isn't that bad EXCEPT that if a hillbilly in a pickup loses control on ice near you, you're not gonna make it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asmasm
Nov 26, 2013

Phone posted:

If it's metallic, chances are it's a heatshield somewhere before the cat.

This. I played with hose clamps on mine for about a year. Each time I would fix it the sound would come back until finally no amount of hose clamps would quiet it down. Finally, I just cut the stock heatshield off the car and it is fixed for good. Warning, there is a fiberglass chop strand mat inside the heatshield so try not to be under it when you open it up.