Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SaltPig
Jun 21, 2004

I don't expect tutorials for every aircraft, but given how many aircraft have glass cockpits, they should add at least one basic tutorial in the C172 G1000 to introduce the MFDs and some basic autopilot functionality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Yea that makes sense. Is there something with the G1000 I can help with? Maybe I've discovered it in my digging.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

if anyone else is a huge noob just trying out different single prop planes, I think the 172 has the most comprehensive checklist so far. most of them just tell you how to start the motor

Captain Snaps
Jul 27, 2003

Maintol!

Jolo posted:

Yeah really wish the 172 with gauges wasn't an add on thing. It should just be a default option. Especially because it makes sense to move up from the 152 to there as you become more comfortable.

Well I guess this partially answers the question I was going to come and ask. I have the deluxe version and was going to try to get in to some ILS, and the only version available to me seems to be the the one with gauges. I can't seem to find a way to select between the two. Am I missing something here?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Captain Snaps posted:

Well I guess this partially answers the question I was going to come and ask. I have the deluxe version and was going to try to get in to some ILS, and the only version available to me seems to be the the one with gauges. I can't seem to find a way to select between the two. Am I missing something here?

I think you have the missing DLC planes bug. Do you have a total of 30 in your hangar?
edit: I'd have to boot up the game, but I think it's just Textron Aviation Cessna 172 & Textron Aviation Cessna 172 (G1000)

Micr0chiP
Mar 17, 2007
Meh, there are none of the animals of the nazca lines, but they have the trapezoids.

https://imgur.com/a/ufRC3Pn
This is were the monkey should be

No stone giants on the Easter islands :(

I sure hope that the 3D buildings gets better with time, on the capital of my country (Lisbon) there are lots of missing buildings and monuments that were present on FSX, but overall the felling of the city is great.
My house is the only in 3D on my apartments street, although the model is not realistic, but its way better than the green field that was in FSX.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I was mildly impressed I guess with low expectations at the take off-landing drill and VFR navigation tutorials so I would absolutely love a similar quality intro to the glass cockpits but I've also had zero issue tracking through that one guy's youtube who's going through each of the glass cockpits even though I'm traditionally a "give me the text and screenshot or else give it to me in game" sort of learner. I guess credit to Garmin is it makes a lot of sense once you get on board with some of the acronyms and visual management.

Captain Snaps posted:

Its a whole different plane in the selection screen. If something funny happens on download, your package might get corrupted and all traces disappear from the menu. Apparently you can go in to your assets folder, find the folder for the missing plane, and delete it to download it again.

Captain Snaps
Jul 27, 2003

Maintol!

Charles posted:

I think you have the missing DLC planes bug. Do you have a total of 30 in your hangar?
edit: I'd have to boot up the game, but I think it's just Textron Aviation Cessna 172 & Textron Aviation Cessna 172 (G1000)

29. :negative:

zedprime posted:

Its a whole different plane in the selection screen. If something funny happens on download, your package might get corrupted and all traces disappear from the menu. Apparently you can go in to your assets folder, find the folder for the missing plane, and delete it to download it again.

K, will try that. Thanks.

Captain Snaps fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Aug 29, 2020

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's weird that it seems like only the cessna is the one that goes missing.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jolo posted:

Yeah really wish the 172 with gauges wasn't an add on thing. It should just be a default option. Especially because it makes sense to move up from the 152 to there as you become more comfortable.

Unless you really want the extra 15 knots in cruise or the two back seats, the 152 is better and cooler than the 172 100% of the time

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
For those who have done the bush challenges and want something more... or those who want to read about a real air adventure I suggest checking out this book: https://www.amazon.com/Flight-Passage-Memoir-Rinker-Buck/dp/0786883154

Writer Rinker Buck looks back more than 30 years to a summer when he and his brother, at ages 15 and 17 respectively, became the youngest duo to fly across America, from New Jersey to California. Having grown up in an aviation family, the two boys bought an old Piper Cub, restored it themselves, and set out on the grand journey. Buck is a great storyteller, and once you get airborne with the boys you find yourself absorbed in a story of adventure and family drama. And Flight of Passage is also an affecting look back to the summer of 1966, when the times seemed much less cynical and adventures much more enjoyable.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

Unless you really want the extra 15 knots in cruise or the two back seats, the 152 is better and cooler than the 172 100% of the time

I was just going to ask, what big difference is there between a 152 and a 172 if they both have steam gauges?

As a newb, it seems like the difference between a Honda Civic and a Honda Accord, i.e. not much unless you need more passenger space.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

plester1 posted:

I was just going to ask, what big difference is there between a 152 and a 172 if they both have steam gauges?

As a newb, it seems like the difference between a Honda Civic and a Honda Accord, i.e. not much unless you need more passenger space.

That's pretty much it, also applies to the 182, it's just got a more powerful engine than the 172.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

If anything, I would like the game to be less complex and easier to drop into. I can drop right into that single-engine turboprop (Daher TBM?), throttle up and take off to go for a spin or something, but even setting navpoints on the map to go fly somewhere (as opposed to having Google Maps on the other monitor and doing things 100% dead reckoning) is beyond me and frankly I am not interested in learning how to operate this plane's navigation suite. The fact that I have to disengage the parking brake before throttling up is utter nonsense; why does this feature exist, if not for rivet-counting's sake? gently caress off, I don't want to operate equipment from checklists in accordance with standard operating procedures, I do this in my real job. If I can't simply click on the map and set a waypoint it's too much effort.

Radio Free Kobold fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Aug 29, 2020

SaltPig
Jun 21, 2004

The 152 doesn't have an AP, which both of the 172s have.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

plester1 posted:

Yeah in real life its pretty similar to cars. You have compacts, midsizes, fullsize, etc. With capacities, performance, and prices that slide along that scale.

Of course in a sim things like price and passenger capacity don't mean anything. Still, as someone who learned to fly in a 172 I'm glad I was able to just jump into it and fly it like I'm used to doing. If i had to jump into something else because the 172 wasn't in game I wouldn't be as comfortable. So I'm all for the variety of prop planes they've put in. Everyone can have their favorite.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I got the A320 manual engine start achievement just loading into it in a ramp. What the hell? Is it a retroactive achievement that it tracked during alpha? Or is that a known bug?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Radio Free Kobold posted:

If anything, I would like the game to be less complex and easier to drop into. I can drop right into that single-engine turboprop (Daher TBM?), throttle up and take off to go for a spin or something, but even setting navpoints on the map to go fly somewhere (as opposed to having Google Maps on the other monitor and doing things 100% dead reckoning) is beyond me and frankly I am not interested in learning how to operate this plane's navigation suite. The fact that I have to disengage the parking brake before throttling up is utter nonsense; why does this feature exist, if not for rivet-counting's sake? gently caress off, I don't want to operate equipment from checklists in accordance with standard operating procedures, I do this in my real job. If I can't simply click on the map and set a waypoint it's too much effort.

That's kind of what MS Flight 2012 was supposed to be, but it flopped. If you can manage to install it, I still think it's fun and has fun missions and tutorials and stuff. Also, it'll run 4k 60fps no problem 🤣 Then you can use the Flight toolkit to get all the DLC and patches and stuff.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

I got the A320 manual engine start achievement just loading into it in a ramp. What the hell? Is it a retroactive achievement that it tracked during alpha? Or is that a known bug?

I got it too and I haven't loaded the A320 at all. I'm gonna say it's a bug

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Sagebrush posted:

I got it too and I haven't loaded the A320 at all. I'm gonna say it's a bug

There are a bunch of bugs with the achievements for sure. I got deadstick landing randomly, got the taxiing achievement while flying, etc.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Charles posted:

There are a bunch of bugs with the achievements for sure. I got deadstick landing randomly, got the taxiing achievement while flying, etc.

I bet the taxiing achievement is literally tracked by like “distance with gear down” and they never accounted for fixed gear planes or something.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I bet the taxiing achievement is literally tracked by like “distance with gear down” and they never accounted for fixed gear planes or something.

Probably. I've mostly flown the 172 and got the achievement at random. Also the one for cold starting an Airbus that I've never flown.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

my taxi thing is bugged, it always points me off the wrong end of the runway

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Charles posted:

That's kind of what MS Flight 2012 was supposed to be, but it flopped. If you can manage to install it, I still think it's fun and has fun missions and tutorials and stuff. Also, it'll run 4k 60fps no problem 🤣 Then you can use the Flight toolkit to get all the DLC and patches and stuff.

Flight toolkit?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Anarcho-Commissar posted:

Flight toolkit?

http://flighttoolkit.com/

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
Regarding the G1000 in every plane thing, I'm honestly a little disappointed that they didn't design these virtual planes in a more modular way. It would have been great if the planes would have different avionics packages, where appropriate. It's really lame that you need to pay for one of the more expensive editions of the game if you want a 172 without the G1000.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I paused my game last night during a flight and got the 8 hour "Saddle Sore" Acheivement when I finished it this morning

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
This is only tangentially related to flight sim but I thought it was neat so imma :justpost:. Last evening, I took a trip from San Francisco down to Pacheco State Park and back up north to Clear Lake to appreciate the landscape in the times before hellfire turned it all to ash, and to look for any signs of fire represented by the real-time weather.

I spotted a line of fire retardant circling Buttard Rock near the southern tip of Lake Berryessa just as the sun was setting

So I hopped on Bing Maps to take a closer look, but just as I'd expected from years of being forced to use Microsoft products under government contract, it wasn't much help at all. No satellite photo date, no way to change the date

but I'm not at work, so I can use whatever I want

It's the northern edge of the 2017 Atlas Fire, part of the California Firestorm. The above imagery was captured in October before the fire was officially contained. Over 50,000 acres burned

Jumping forward to current day, oh

oh no.

The LNU Lightning Complex is sitting at 372,344 acres and 35% containment as of last night.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Charles posted:

Is that the one where the only place they included was Hawaii? I bought that and had a bit of fun with it, and then saw they had a P-51 mustang DLC and got excited. Unfortunately I didn't read the fine print and found out after buying it that they didn't include any kind of cockpit for it at all. You either flew third person or first person with a hud. What a loving ripoff that was.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I think the bug is that it doesn't always recognize your takeoff. I've had situations where the taxi waypoint never went away after taking off. I think any movement when that happens is counted as taxiing, even when you're in the air.

There are a lot of flight stats that aren't being properly tracked right now. Like, I've definitely flown upside-down a few times in the Extra and Pitts, but it thinks I've done that for 0 seconds.

A MIRACLE posted:

my taxi thing is bugged, it always points me off the wrong end of the runway

I haven't noticed any bugs regarding that. The taxi ribbon has always gone to where the ATC/flight plan wanted me to take off from. It should be sending you against the wind, as that's better for taking off. Sometimes this means your takeoff direction will be in the opposite direction of your destination.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I got the kill the engine and land achievement by accidentally killing the engine as I was still braking after landing.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Macintosh HD posted:

Regarding the G1000 in every plane thing, I'm honestly a little disappointed that they didn't design these virtual planes in a more modular way. It would have been great if the planes would have different avionics packages, where appropriate. It's really lame that you need to pay for one of the more expensive editions of the game if you want a 172 without the G1000.

I think the huge amount of glass (and Rotax-powered light sport airplanes) is partially a function of Asobo being French. GA in Europe is an entirely different animal from the US, and it really shows in their selection of airplanes and avionics.

Also, I think a lot of people in the US GA community are boomer luddites, and their hatred of literally anything new is passed down instructor to instructor until you have 20 year olds recoiling at the thought of a 172 with a G1000 panel and singing the praises of dual CDIs and NDB approaches. A glass panel presents all the same information (and more,) is easier to scan, and generally includes autopilot and navigation functionality that is better than anything you could get twenty years ago in anything that didn’t say Airbus or Boeing on the side. No one is forcing you to use the autopilot or GPS.

Why yes, I just read a post on the MSFS forums bemoaning the lack of carb heat on the 172 (which is fuel injected,) why do you ask? :v:

Content: I flew the Virus for the first time today. I think it’s one of the best 3D models in the game; It’s just gorgeous inside. I’m also in love with the idea of a Light Sport airplane with a gently caress-off-huge speed brake handle over your head, and giant wing fences that make it drat near stop in the air. :black101:

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Is there a button panel or something I can drag to second screen. Turning knobs and pushing smaller buttons is a hassle, especially if the plane is banking or climbing.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

MrYenko posted:

Content: I flew the Virus for the first time today. I think it’s one of the best 3D models in the game; It’s just gorgeous inside. I’m also in love with the idea of a Light Sport airplane with a gently caress-off-huge speed brake handle over your head, and giant wing fences that make it drat near stop in the air. :black101:

I just like the fact that you sit on the floor, legs almost fully extended. It's a cute little plane.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

MrYenko posted:

I think the huge amount of glass (and Rotax-powered light sport airplanes) is partially a function of Asobo being French. GA in Europe is an entirely different animal from the US, and it really shows in their selection of airplanes and avionics.

Also, I think a lot of people in the US GA community are boomer luddites, and their hatred of literally anything new is passed down instructor to instructor until you have 20 year olds recoiling at the thought of a 172 with a G1000 panel and singing the praises of dual CDIs and NDB approaches. A glass panel presents all the same information (and more,) is easier to scan, and generally includes autopilot and navigation functionality that is better than anything you could get twenty years ago in anything that didn’t say Airbus or Boeing on the side. No one is forcing you to use the autopilot or GPS.

Why yes, I just read a post on the MSFS forums bemoaning the lack of carb heat on the 172 (which is fuel injected,) why do you ask? :v:

I just think it would have been great to be able to choose your avionics package for the flight instead of relying on some developer to offer up a version of the plane with the particular setup you want.

It's not a question of hating change or whatever. It's that this software offers limitless possibilities but they've designed it in a limited way. I realize previous flight sims would marry the avionics with the plane but it's not like that has to be the way it's done. It's not often that a new flight sim comes out so this would've been the chance to consider a modular approach.

If your local field has a 172 with a G1000 and you want to try a G400, you have to go to some other field. If you want to try the 172 with a G400, you need to install X-Plane.

Kinda stupid.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Girlfriend and I spent the evening showing us sights from our home towns and trying out different weathers now. She's got herself a game pass and downloaded the game, so we'll be doing some flights together soon.

I did another ILS approach tonight. This time I didn't bother with a detailed flight plan and just set the NAV1 frequency to my destination airport's localizer frequency. Then I selected VOR1 with the CDI knob and immediately had a course set directly to the runway. When I entered APR mode on the G1000, it pretty effortlessly found its way onto the glide slope. I put out flaps and landing gear, kept the throttle at just above stall speed, and watched the plane descend onto the runway relatively smoothly.

I'm not supposed to just watch, though, right? In reality I assume the pilot would be required to take over control once the runway is in sight?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Cojawfee posted:

Is that the one where the only place they included was Hawaii? I bought that and had a bit of fun with it, and then saw they had a P-51 mustang DLC and got excited. Unfortunately I didn't read the fine print and found out after buying it that they didn't include any kind of cockpit for it at all. You either flew third person or first person with a hud. What a loving ripoff that was.

I think free-to-play was the big island, and you could get the rest of the islands, then Alaska. Yeah the non "deluxe" airplanes were a let down.

edit: But the Stearman, Vans RV-6, Carbon Cub (Deluxe), and Maule Orion were all nicely modeled.

edit2: And Icon A5, the hero plane, duh.

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Aug 29, 2020

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

MrYenko posted:

GA in Europe is an entirely different animal from the US, and it really shows in their selection of airplanes and avionics.

Can you elaborate a bit? I'm interested.

I'm thinking about getting a microlight license in the coming years, but I've been considering that a couple of times by now and postponing it. I've read that PPLs and aviation is generally massively cheaper in the US, so I might go take a vacation in Colorado or something for flight lessons. Or maybe Poland, supposedly there are affordable vacation flight schools there as well.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

They could have made things a lot easier for most pilots with the avionics:

• List what avionics are on any particular plane. Does it have an ADF for instance? One nav or two? ILS support? I was trying to intercept my local runway's localizer in the Cirrus and not sure what to expect.
  • Start with sensible radio settings for different locations. If I start at RYY maybe I want RMG and ATL's VOR stations tuned in.
  • More sane keybindings. Ctrl+Shift+Home and Ctrl+Shift+End are how you're supposed to change the VOR heading. Good luck remembering that or using it one handed while trying to keep your plane level because the autopilot sucks.
  • Manipulating the tiny controls with a mouse through shakycam is not a remotely reasonable way to do anything.
  • Add a helper window that tells you contextual information like appropriate keys and what mode you're in. No weird chords, just keypresses that are available one handed.
  • Make the copilot able to help with nav and other stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

A MIRACLE posted:

I paused my game last night during a flight and got the 8 hour "Saddle Sore" Acheivement when I finished it this morning

You can pause it that long without crashing? Lucky...