Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I am very disappointed in istheshipstillstuck.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-03-28/progress-made-in-moving-ship-more-vessels-diverted-suez-update

27,000 cubic meters of sand were moved. I can't even imagine that amount.

Just because the ship has been freed doesn't mean it can start moving again right away.

Some 400+ ships queued behind it wondering when they'll be able to go through the canal.

Who knows how many ships decided to switch paths and go around the Horn of Africa and are close enough to turn back, or far enough away that it would make more sense to continue course.

lol

e: that's apparently 953,496 cubic feet which especially as a dumb American, I do not know how large that is, but number big.

Chief McHeath fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Mar 29, 2021

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Time to jam up other major sea passages, then. Someone get something wedged in sideways in the Strait of Gibraltar!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Chief McHeath posted:

It's a cube 30-meters to a side, so roughly the volume of a small apartment building.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Chief McHeath posted:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-03-28/progress-made-in-moving-ship-more-vessels-diverted-suez-update

e: that's apparently 953,496 cubic feet which especially as a dumb American, I do not know how large that is, but number big.

It’s about 12 Olympic-sized swimming pools, to use standard units.

27,000 cubic meters is not very much excavation.

withak fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Mar 29, 2021

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
cmon nobody gets a sense of scale from that. how big is it in 12oz bud lights? calculate in slim jims for remainder

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

so happy for 12% of global trade, congrats

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Robo Reagan posted:

cmon nobody gets a sense of scale from that. how big is it in 12oz bud lights? calculate in slim jims for remainder

A handy reference to know for the next dredging emergency is one cubic meter is 50 cases of bud light.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Looks like there's still huge backups who gambled on this ending soon and didn't want to reroute around Africa. I predict the next blockage will be several boats stuck side-to-side.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
5000 captains late on a deadline will surely take all possible care when passing through

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
Ok it’s still stuck right?

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Yeah but it's progressing way faster than anyone probably thought it would go

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/evanchill/status/1376379027393482761

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

smoobles posted:

aw dang I just read that there's 92,000 animals stuck on the backed up ships, now I'm sad

edit: nvm they're restocking food and all the animals are fine

lol yeah and they're gonna bring them all to a nice farm just a bit further down the canal once this is sorted out

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
...I miss it.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Fame Douglas posted:

There are canals (or there is at least one, no clue where it is, though) that have this type of system, with trains at the sides pulling the ships through.

The Panama Canal uses trains to move boats through the channel locks (where they raise and lower the ships to actually go through the canal that's not at sea level...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfwPpMGfbiA

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Woof Blitzer posted:

It ain't goin' nowhere tonight, and I'll bet a sixer on it.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

The Panama Canal uses trains to move boats through the channel locks (where they raise and lower the ships to actually go through the canal that's not at sea level...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfwPpMGfbiA

Russians used a pencil boatmen!

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

I'm pretty sure the red part isn't supposed to be above the water.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Lolie posted:

I'm pretty sure the red part isn't supposed to be above the water.

Empty ballast tanks?

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
Sky Australia is reporting it's ready to go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUwWcoIlHwM

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

This is BULLSHIT

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
RIP to my dreams of justified hubris

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
The sex arses have been unleashed! :woop:

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!

EorayMel posted:

It's not over quite yet

It made it 3% of the way up the canal before getting stuck the first time

battlepigeon
Aug 3, 2008

Fun's over

:mad:

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

At least people in the UK will get their sex arses.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Galewolf posted:

You're not alone, I feel like they'll just move the goalposts.

What if we put the ship on the goalposts??

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

nuke the goalposts!

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Well now they will probably try to go way over capacity in the channel and have a pretty likely chance of someone else loving up along the way... right?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Trade

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Egyptian government are going to line the tricky bits with threatening looking snipers in case any captain has any silly ideas.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Maybe we could open up our own vital shipping lane and clog it up with, uh, big fake tits??

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Time_pants posted:

What if we put the ship on the goalposts??

I'm just happy that my sex arses will be delivered so will take the shame of being wrong.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Ship folk are like truckers so I expect all the other boats to be blowing their horns as it passes

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

BBC reporting that another boat has struck the canal

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
R..really mister? Honest? No foolin'? :kiddo:

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
So I haven't been following this too closely; do we know how much of this was the captain's error and realistically speaking, what sort of insane punishments does the captain and crew face? Like this whole thing seems like it cost the ultra-wealthy so much money that were I the captain, I'd be sincerely afraid for my life, let alone my financial and professional future.