Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
My girlfriend and I had our first child in august, a son, born 10 weeks prematurely, and we spent the first six weeks admitted to the hospital. He's now 22 weeks old, or 12 weeks from his due date. I work full time, and my girlfriend is on maternity leave until summer, so she's got him for most of the day. We have a lot of problems, primarily with his sleep, and it's wearing us out, so I could use some good ideas here.

NAPS
He never falls asleep on his own, he only wants to lie in our arms all day. If we cover his face in a cloth while he's in our arms we can sometimes get him to fall asleep, but he'll sleep for maybe 15-20 minutes before waking up again. Some times he'll twitch, sometimes he'll begin fidgeting, and other times he'll begin weeping, waking himself.

We've tried swaddling him with different swaddles, but he hates it, and he's become so strong(10 extra weeks of muscle training, I guess) that he'll kick and scream until we take him out of it again.

We also have a ceiling mounted baby hammock and a baby nest on the couch that we can lay him down in if we manage to get him to sleep, but he'll wake up soon after. The hammock is often pretty good for getting him back to sleep for an extra 10 minutes with a bit of rocking, though.

NIGHTS
He sleeps better at night, but far from perfect. I get home from work at around 16:30, and he's usually already overtired already. We usually try to get him to bed at around 19:00, after we've taken turns eating dinner. We always change him into his pajamas.

Now we take turns in sitting with him in a dark room with some car noises on a speaker until he falls asleep. He'll usually start crying the moment I sit down in our armchair, so I have to do some squats for 10-15 minutes to calm him down again. Like with the naps, he'll wake himself up a couple of times, but eventually fall asleep, and I can put him into his bedside crib.

He'll usually wake up 2-3 times in a night, and we take turns feeding him(I give him a bottle), and at around 5:00-6:00 he'll begin grunting and pushing and unable to fall back to sleep.

BREASTFEEDING
My girlfriend also has problems breastfeeding him this last month or two. Oftentimes he's obviously hungry, and wants to breastfeed, but he begins crying and he doesn't understand that he has to suck for some time for the milk to flow. Now she has to get up and do some squats and maybe stroke his cheek until he starts sucking again. Sometimes he'll begin crying again when she sits back down, so she has to stand up again and do some squats. She's sick of it, and we're probably going full bottle with formula soon.

Any ideas for all of this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

It's all normal and will get better with time.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Boz0r posted:

My girlfriend and I had our first child in august, a son, born 10 weeks prematurely, and we spent the first six weeks admitted to the hospital. He's now 22 weeks old, or 12 weeks from his due date. I work full time, and my girlfriend is on maternity leave until summer, so she's got him for most of the day. We have a lot of problems, primarily with his sleep, and it's wearing us out, so I could use some good ideas here.

NAPS
He never falls asleep on his own, he only wants to lie in our arms all day. If we cover his face in a cloth while he's in our arms we can sometimes get him to fall asleep, but he'll sleep for maybe 15-20 minutes before waking up again. Some times he'll twitch, sometimes he'll begin fidgeting, and other times he'll begin weeping, waking himself.

We've tried swaddling him with different swaddles, but he hates it, and he's become so strong(10 extra weeks of muscle training, I guess) that he'll kick and scream until we take him out of it again.

We also have a ceiling mounted baby hammock and a baby nest on the couch that we can lay him down in if we manage to get him to sleep, but he'll wake up soon after. The hammock is often pretty good for getting him back to sleep for an extra 10 minutes with a bit of rocking, though.

NIGHTS
He sleeps better at night, but far from perfect. I get home from work at around 16:30, and he's usually already overtired already. We usually try to get him to bed at around 19:00, after we've taken turns eating dinner. We always change him into his pajamas.

Now we take turns in sitting with him in a dark room with some car noises on a speaker until he falls asleep. He'll usually start crying the moment I sit down in our armchair, so I have to do some squats for 10-15 minutes to calm him down again. Like with the naps, he'll wake himself up a couple of times, but eventually fall asleep, and I can put him into his bedside crib.

He'll usually wake up 2-3 times in a night, and we take turns feeding him(I give him a bottle), and at around 5:00-6:00 he'll begin grunting and pushing and unable to fall back to sleep.

BREASTFEEDING
My girlfriend also has problems breastfeeding him this last month or two. Oftentimes he's obviously hungry, and wants to breastfeed, but he begins crying and he doesn't understand that he has to suck for some time for the milk to flow. Now she has to get up and do some squats and maybe stroke his cheek until he starts sucking again. Sometimes he'll begin crying again when she sits back down, so she has to stand up again and do some squats. She's sick of it, and we're probably going full bottle with formula soon.

Any ideas for all of this?

Every kid is different, so your mileage may vary.

First, I'd be very concerned about covering his face with a cloth when he sleeps. As a premature baby he's more at risk for SIDS and anything that could potentially block his airway should be avoided at his age anyways. If the idea of covering his face is to block out light then I think a dark room would be safer. Your post is a little unclear but kids really shouldn't be sleeping unattended with any lose bedding or blankets until at least 12 months old. If he doesn't like being swaddled there are sleep sacks you can try that provide the comfort of swaddling without being so constricting for him.

I think most infants prefer sleeping in their parent's arms but obviously that isn't a long term solution. Have you considered getting a motorized bassinet or swing for him to sleep in? If motion helps him fall and stay asleep that can be a good transition from sleeping in your arms to sleeping alone. Personally, my son who's about the same age responds well to routine so we try and keep his evenings as regimented as possible. Normally we feed him around 6:30, let him nap a little so we can eat, get him up and play with him until about 9:00, read to him and feed him a big bottle (5+ ounces with cereal) about 9:30pm and put him in his bassinet to sleep. That's enough to keep him down until he wakes up around 8:00am the next morning.

It doesn't really matter what the particular schedule is but infants respond well to routine and bedtime cues so he's clued in "okay, it's time to go to sleep now." It won't stop the inevitable sleep regression but it does make it easier and gives us a chance to do stuff around the house while he sleeps.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

How does that work (am in UK)? Just draw up a document to sign making the extra severance contingent on that?

I would worry that suggesting it could put ideas into her head - I'm not sure she'd have the wherewithal to sue us/take us to tribunal anyway, though this might make it more likely if we went for that agreement and she refused (as unlikely as I think it would be that she would refuse an extra month's pay).

You'd need to talk to a local solicitor. I just know severance from a business in the US typically comes with these - it's to create contractual consideration, meaning she gets more than she would otherwise in exchange for the agreement. Since you have cause to fire her due to misuse of funds, you'd also want to issue some sort of formal reprimand prior to the severance offer to make a paper trail and strengthen your case. Since this is the UK and there are also special household employee rules sometimes, this is all pure speculation.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Boz0r posted:

At that age, he should be physically able to eat enough in the evening that he doesn't need to eat again until morning. Unless there's something special about preemies' digestion I don't know about. The trick would be to get enough food in him in the evening to "knock him out", however you would accomplish that. His trouble breastfeeding may be related to not sleeping, he might be too tired/grumpy to eat properly?

Ours is only 8 weeks and is sleeping 6-7 hours at night this since she was 4w. She has her usual feeding frenzy between 7pm and 10 where she wants to eat constantly and pees/poops like crazy. To put her down, a trick we used before the milk was flowing properly: breastfeed as long as there is still anything left, and then feed her formula on top. Put her right out. That way, you interfere minimally with mom's milk production.

If breast feeding doesn't work, don't be afraid to use formula! A person can drive themselves crazy thinking they'd be a bad person for doing so. But remember that your baby needs parents who are not sleep deprived to the point of depression more than she needs whatever the breast milk provides.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

A lot of babies still do need to eat overnight, especially when they are only 12 weeks adjusted age and a preemie. Some babies will not wake at that age and that's fine but others definitely still need to eat overnight at that age.

sheri fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jan 17, 2019

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
Yeah there are different schools of thought about feeding/not feeding at night, but I would definitely err the side of not letting the worry about that rule your life.

Babies waking/not waking at night is not just a nutritional thing, it’s also a developmental thing. My baby is 10 months old and sleeps through most nights now, but has some nights where she wakes and can’t resettle, so we settle her, and other nights where she wakes and needs a quick boob top up.

We’re there to comfort as well as feed, and some bubs need it, others don’t.

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012
My almost-6 month old still eats between 6 to 10 oz of milk in the night? Most of the time he wakes up and treats it like a daytime feed except he goes back to sleep right after. It has been closer to the 6oz end of the scale now that we've started him on some food, but still. I am kind of worried about the nighttime eating now that he has his first tooth, but I figure that if this enormous boy needs to eat, he just needs to eat.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
I wouldn’t worry, feed the hungry boy what he wants.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

sheri posted:

A lot of babies still do need to eat overnight, especially when they are only 12 weeks adjusted age and a preemie. Some babies will not wake at that age and that's fine but others definitely still need to eat overnight at that age.

Yes but 2-3 times every night sounds like there is room for improvement.
Anyway the important point I'm trying to make is to not wear yourselves out with the things that don't really matter - if bottle feeding works better, do it.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
My girlfriend took him to an osteopath/physiotherapist today who noticed that he has a short tongue frenulum, which could have something to do with his breastfeeding problems.

Also, he never sleeps unsupervised, and we only cover his eyes with the cloth.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Yes but 2-3 times every night sounds like there is room for improvement.
Anyway the important point I'm trying to make is to not wear yourselves out with the things that don't really matter - if bottle feeding works better, do it.

I dunno. My son was eating every 3 hours up until maybe a month ago, so the first two months of his life were eating every 3 hours with the occasional cluster feed. He was two weeks early and 6 pounds-he needed to play catch-up. I. Can’t imagine a preemie would be any easier.

Regardless, I think kids are going to tell you when they’re hungry, etc. Part of the problem could be breastfeeding because I know when my wife did it for the first month, it was hard to tell how much he was getting each time whereas a bottle I could legitimately see he was taken down xx mL, but I still don’t think eating overnight is something to be concerned about.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

Boz0r posted:

My girlfriend took him to an osteopath/physiotherapist today who noticed that he has a short tongue frenulum, which could have something to do with his breastfeeding problems.

Thought this sounded familiar. My 8 week old son had his tongue tie released at 10 days old but my new doctor who is the regional tongue tie expert said that the LC only released the anterior tie and he still has a posterior tie. Except for his first feed of the morning - during which he feeds okay because I'm engorged but he gulps a lot of air - he basically does the same thing your son does, it's extremely frustrating (and messy) so we swapped to mostly bottle feeding him pumped breastmilk as its easier for him to latch onto the bottle with his short tongue. Because the doctor said his tongue should lengthen normally at about 6 months and a release now would be more about me not missing out on breastfeeding, we opted not to have the posterior tie released as he was going to be predominantly bottle fed once going to daycare anyway.

If your girlfriend does want to try pumped breastmilk instead of formula (either way its food right) then I can vouch for the usefulness of a double electric pump.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

2-3 times a night for a preemie, or a term baby for that matter, is very normal.

There's such a wide range of normal for sleeping and eating. Some babies sleep great and don't need to eat overnight from just a few weeks old. Others still need those calories overnight for a long time. I would definitely feed a baby that's waking up from hunger anytime.

I would also definitely go to bottles if that's working better.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

My son was waking up a lot until around 7 months and drinking the poo poo down. By that time he was nearly exclusively on formula after naturally weaning himself off the breast. He now sleeps through the night MOST nights. Looking back I remember from 7-8 months he started transitioning a bit--where before he was waking all the way up to eat and we would have to rock him to get him back down and he'd wake up immediately upon being put down no matter how asleep we thought he was, during that month he started waking up hungry but falling asleep mid-feed like when he was a newborn. We didn't have to rock him, we could just put him right down because he was out. I call this transition because I really think he was just slowly moving toward sleeping through the night because he was also waking up fewer times, fell from 6-7 times (sometimes hunger, sometimes needing comfort) a night to 1-2 a night. Now, rare is the time he wakes up even once but I go to bed expecting it every night just so I'm not surprised (I take all weeknight wakeups and morning care/daycare transportation because my wife wakes up at 5am for work).

This all started to improve around the time he started to get more skilled at eating oatmeal and veggies/fruits. Even better once we started having daycare feed him a meal around lunchtime and we feed him in the evening. He's up to 2tbsp of oatmeal mixed with 1oz of fruit or veg and still will eat 4-6oz of formula less than an hour later at bedtime. Also he moves around a lot in the night and has recently begun to sleep on his side or stomach so he moves around because he's trying to get comfortable we think. We've seen him in all sorts of weird positions sleeping like a champ.

What I'm really saying is, it's not at all uncommon for babies to wake up a lot especially around the 4mo sleep regression (someone here mentioned 2mo sleep regression and I never heard of that, but he was a poo poo sleeper regardless so maybe we just didn't notice any difference because there wasn't any) and thereafter, and I'd wager there is lots of sleep improvement when babies start to eat real food more regularly so their bellies are full for longer. That doesn't rule out babies waking up just needing comfort, though. From my experience at least, I would not expect a baby younger than 5-6mo to even begin to sleep through the night outside of some anomaly we all hear about from that one friend we all have whose baby slept through the night from like 2 weeks old. We were freaking out thinking we had failed as parents because ours just wouldn't sleep through the night and the constant wakeups were making us go insane with sleep deprivation, then it leveled out naturally--he can put himself back to sleep now at night at least, and we have done no sleep training. If the kid settles, maybe it wasn't a hunger wakeup. If the kid won't settle, it's probably hunger. Gotta feed hungry kids, if they are hungry their bodies need the calories, so until their bodies need fewer calories wakeups are gonna happen. Also as an aside, I think TakingCaraBabies posited that kids who go back to sleep on their own need less help at night and wake up less as a result for whatever reason, if I remember right. It was something like that.

Edit: lol since this post my kid has arbitrarily and suddenly gone back to 2-4x a night wakeups, gently caress everything why did I think sleeping through the night was going to last when my wife is going out of town two nights, gotta have it end at least for that to cruelly remind Daddy that he doesn’t deserve sleep

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Jan 21, 2019

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Nanny update, if anyone's interested:

My wife took the day off work today to fire her. We were concerned she wouldn't come in - normally she arrives at 2pm to do some household stuff then go and collect the kids. Her mum ran us yesterday when she was moving stuff out of her partner's house. Her mum made a point of mentioning "her depression" and put her on the phone to tell my wife she'd be in today. My wife felt like they were trying to manipulate her but handled it well. She then rang this morning to ask if she could go straight to pick the kids up from school, but my wife said no, we need to have a chat. So she arrived half an hour early and my wife did the unpleasant deed. She asked why etc, there were some tears but apparently she generally took it well, and looked at it as the opportunity to get back on her feet, which is a pleasingly healthy and positive outlook. I had been dreading how it would go, and offered to come home from work to be there with my wife, but she said it wasn't necessary and she felt supported just from the offer, and in the end it went about as well as it could have.

She also offered to pay the money back from the wage averaging, but we told her we didn't want that. We are giving her a month's payment in lieu of notice and not taking anything back from her apart from the money she took from our debit card and some unearned holiday. My wife also advised her that in future jobs that the card thing would be a real red line and though we weren't making a big issue of it, someone else could and it could constitute gross misconduct, and therefore termination without notice. I hope she took it on board and that she gets back on her feet and manages to sort out her problems. My wife asked her to text us in a month or so to let us know how things are going.

On the happier side of things, we interviewed my daughter's ex-teaching assistant on Thursday. We offered her the job on the spot and she accepted. We filmed the kids' reaction to the news to send to her - my daughter literally danced with joy and my son, although he doesn't really know her, seemed very happy, partly in the way that younger siblings take the lead from the older one. She was delighted with the video and said she was excited too. On informing them we have received very positive responses from the school's headmistress, deputy head (who congratulated my wife on us employing her) and my daughter's current teacher.

She starts tomorrow and we couldn't be more delighted. It was very gratifying to see the kids respond so well and to know they will (barring unforeseen issues) be happy with their nanny again. :3:

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
My two and a half year old has apparently started changing her own diapers. This certainly won't end in disaster.

GamingHyena posted:

First, I'd be very concerned about covering his face with a cloth when he sleeps. As a premature baby he's more at risk for SIDS and anything that could potentially block his airway should be avoided at his age anyways. If the idea of covering his face is to block out light then I think a dark room would be safer. Your post is a little unclear but kids really shouldn't be sleeping unattended with any lose bedding or blankets until at least 12 months old. If he doesn't like being swaddled there are sleep sacks you can try that provide the comfort of swaddling without being so constricting for him.
I think the OP was just talking about covering the baby while the baby is being held. If our not really premature 9 week old twins get a over-stimulated, we do something similar. Obviously not, like, covering the face - more tent-like.

e: And just as a data point, our 9 week olds (like 6 weeks from the due date) are still both eating every 3-4 hours at night.

gvibes fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jan 21, 2019

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

gvibes posted:

My two and a half year old has apparently started changing her own diapers. This certainly won't end in disaster.

Put the diaper on backwards, and put her in full-body PJs with the zipper in the back. Every one of my kids started pulling off their diapers around 20 months, it's drastic but think of finding her poo poo-filled diaper smeared across the bed and her poop-covered finger streaks everywhere...ugh.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

VorpalBunny posted:

Put the diaper on backwards, and put her in full-body PJs with the zipper in the back. Every one of my kids started pulling off their diapers around 20 months, it's drastic but think of finding her poo poo-filled diaper smeared across the bed and her poop-covered finger streaks everywhere...ugh.

That was exactly the scenario a lyft driver described to me the other day when I struck up a conversation about being a new parent.

"When my son was about one, he would fling his poop around and smear it on himself at night. After the first time I was like 'gross' but after the second time it was 'oh so this is gonna be a thing.'"

Apparently he put it to rest by duct taping the diaper on the kid.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Seems like there's a market for child-proof pyjamas with zips that little hands can't undo.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

If they can unbutton the button protecting the zipper you can always potty train...

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

VorpalBunny posted:

We have been doing that at night since she was maybe 1. And when I say "change" I mean that she also wipes herself and puts on a new diaper. Seems like she should just be using a toilet at that point. But not a lot of motivation/time to do that with two month old twins floating around.

I think she knows that she can't change a poo diaper. We shall see.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
Were I an economist I would study the deficit in society that the grunge brought back from daycare causes. Basically it's just like whack-a-mole for what hole is going to be unjustly expelling fluid next.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
For this past week, my 3 month old has been visibly hungry, and he chews on my knuckle if I put it in his mouth, but he won't eat enough. We've tried putting breast milk and two different kinds of formula in two different bottles, but when he's eaten 50-100 ml he spits it out and begins crying. In the morning it seems like his stomach hurts for several hours, so he probably has gas, but we can't get it out no matter how much we try to burp him, massage his stomach, or do leg exercises. Any ideas?

Edit: we went to a gp with his tongue, and while the thing is short, she didn't think we should get it cut. We're going for a premature checkup on wednesday at the hospital and we'll ask them too.

Boz0r fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jan 26, 2019

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
We didn't have a lot of mid-night de-diperings because we put him in a sack. Like, it's a sack with armholes, the zipper is at the bottom out of reach.

Also helped him keep warm since he was a blanket-kicker.

E: If they made them for adults I might get one myself, to be honest? Cold feet suck.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Boz0r posted:

For this past week, my 3 month old has been visibly hungry, and he chews on my knuckle if I put it in his mouth, but he won't eat enough. We've tried putting breast milk and two different kinds of formula in two different bottles, but when he's eaten 50-100 ml he spits it out and begins crying. In the morning it seems like his stomach hurts for several hours, so he probably has gas, but we can't get it out no matter how much we try to burp him, massage his stomach, or do leg exercises. Any ideas?

Edit: we went to a gp with his tongue, and while the thing is short, she didn't think we should get it cut. We're going for a premature checkup on wednesday at the hospital and we'll ask them too.

Have you tried mylicon? Ours used to love eating when he had gas because it helped him relax enough to fart, but no more, he cries on the bottle and we have to take it out of his mouth and put it back in, rinse repeat. Mylicon seems to help, as should formula that is made to help with gas and fussiness.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

Boz0r posted:

I also have a 3 month old. Sometimes she has gassy days. If she does I recline and just let her hang out on me for some tummy time. Eventually that stuck gas comes up from the pressure. I find that she’s way more comfortable in that position, so even if the gas doesn’t come up within a few minutes, she at least has stopped being upset because she’s in much less pain.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Any recommended exercises for a slightly flat head? She likes to turn her head to the left, we're doing everything we can to manually move her head to the right as often as possible. Plenty of tummy time and such. 6 weeks old. Doctor is saying nothing more than keep doing that, but also says physical therapy is recommended if it doesn't improve, but refuses to tell us to do anything else.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

baquerd posted:

Any recommended exercises for a slightly flat head? She likes to turn her head to the left, we're doing everything we can to manually move her head to the right as often as possible. Plenty of tummy time and such. 6 weeks old. Doctor is saying nothing more than keep doing that, but also says physical therapy is recommended if it doesn't improve, but refuses to tell us to do anything else.

We had this and picked up on it at a similar age (assuming diagnosis was torticollis but she had it to the right instead of the left) and had good results from gentle stretches a few times a day and multiple tummy time sessions.

The other thing we did was try to reorient our lives to encourage her to look left. We realized that the way we do stuff resulted in the stimulating stuff happening to her right. We did stuff like turned around the changing pad so she would be looking at a blank wall unless she turned left where we were standing, and reoriented the way we carried her so she would just have her face in our chest instead of looking out at the world unless she turned her head the other direction.

We’re at 5 months now and she’s completely over it, it was probably starting around 10-12 weeks that we noticed it wasn’t even really an issue anymore.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Ahhhh fffff, this ever happened to anyone of you guys? One of the boys put his tongue against a cold metal fence in -12C weather. He did that once before in a bit warmer weather only a few degrees below freezing and nothing happened, and I told him over and over again never do that!!! Well he did it again anyway... I told him to stay absolutely still and do not try and pull away! I ran to get warm water and before I got back he'd done it and is bleeding from the mouth.. Uggghhhhhh makes my skin crawl thginking about it........ At least it doesn't seem to have done any real damage and I guess he learned a lesson but drat I panicked and ran for the water and swore the whole way, it happened at the daycare too as I was picking them up. Sigh.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Is "A Christmas Story" also played on loop during the holidays in Finland?

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

His Divine Shadow posted:

Ahhhh fffff, this ever happened to anyone of you guys? One of the boys put his tongue against a cold metal fence in -12C weather.

None of my monkeys have done that yet but I remember doing it once myself when I was a kid. ONCE.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

baquerd posted:

Sounds like your doctor is afraid to step into physiotherapist territory. Some don't like to give any output apart from prescriptions...

We noticed our (then three weeks old) was turning right more than left. The only thing we have done was put her the other way around in her crib. We figured it was because at night, she was turning right, towards the sound of her parents. Turned out to work well, as a few weeks later she is looking left and right more equally. It might have balanced out anyway, over time, but I like to think it was that switch that did it.
Pediatric nurse wasn't seeing any sign of head deformity before, for me it's more about developing the next muscles equally to help head stability.

BoogerPrincess
Jun 5, 2007

baquerd posted:

You really can't do much at this time, you need to let the muscles develop more. My son was diagnosed with torticollis at about 5 months. He loved tummy time, but we couldn't prevent the flat spot because of his neck muscles. (He was a preemie and growth restricted in the womb so that possibly caused it). Anyway, we did about 12 sessions (6 weeks) of physical therapy and exercises at home and the issue resolved. He also had some muscle tone issues, so in the later sessions we worked on some things to help him practice for pulling up. Most of the exercises we did involved him sitting up, so 6 weeks is way too early for it.

It was hard finding a pediatric physical therapist (we were even in a large metro area). We ended up paying out of pocket for it, but it was totally worth it. All of the exercises were integrated with play, so it was a lot of good bonding time for us.

SoldadoDeTone
Apr 20, 2006

Hold on tight!
My two year old is a bit of a handful having inherited his mother's need to control. He has been a picky eater since he was about one and a half, and while that was improving slightly over time, for the last month he has taken a huge turn where he will not eat anything, not even his favorite foods. When he gets extremely hungry he will chew on everything in the room EXCEPT FOOD. I think the only reason he is still a healthy weight is that he drinks milk regularly.

I know this is basic toddler stuff, but it is stressing my wife and me out. Any tips for this? Most advice I can find assumes that the child is eating their favorite foods still, nothing on kids who are totally ignoring calories.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I don't think my son ate from that age till he was 4. I definitely wouldn't stress over it. Offer food and if your kid doesn't want to eat just move on. My son was a big milk drinker too and he quit milk a few months after 4 and the hunger hit him hard. Looking back at his records he only gained 2 lbs from 2-3 years and then another 3 during the next year. But the doctor didn't bat an eye since his height was always increasing but a 4 foot 3 year old that weights only 38 lbs does look odd to people so we had to explain a lot when people would ask if he fed him.

Just don't go down that road of offering chicken nuggets or some other convenience food because you are worried about the kid not eating. I never trying to get my son to eat new foods and eventually it did pay off and the picky eater went away.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Boz0r posted:

For gas, this is a thing that exist and which works in many cases.
https://www.amazon.com/FridaBaby-The-Windi/dp/B005IGTTIA/ref=pd_luc_s9_psadd_01_02_t_lh?tag=bccmty-20

Also, for breastfeeding, if the cheeks are sucked in when breastfeeding that is a sign the baby might have problems feeding due to shortened tongue frenulum. Proper feeding should be more of a chewing motion that involves the whole jaw, and should not produce sucked in cheeks. Source, our midwife.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006

Zudgemud posted:

For gas, this is a thing that exist and which works in many cases.
https://www.amazon.com/FridaBaby-The-Windi/dp/B005IGTTIA/ref=pd_luc_s9_psadd_01_02_t_lh?tag=bccmty-20

Also, for breastfeeding, if the cheeks are sucked in when breastfeeding that is a sign the baby might have problems feeding due to shortened tongue frenulum. Proper feeding should be more of a chewing motion that involves the whole jaw, and should not produce sucked in cheeks. Source, our midwife.

We've ordered some drops for stomach relief that will hopefully help. In the meantime we've gotten more worried. These past two weeks he's probably eaten 2/3 of what he should, and today he almost won't eat at all. He refuses bottle, and three different kinds of porridge, so we don't know what to do.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Boz0r posted:

We've ordered some drops for stomach relief that will hopefully help. In the meantime we've gotten more worried. These past two weeks he's probably eaten 2/3 of what he should, and today he almost won't eat at all. He refuses bottle, and three different kinds of porridge, so we don't know what to do.

I have no experience with non eating kids myself, so I don't have any good answers and I'm not sure the sucking reflex is that strong at that age. But, does boob delivered milk still go down? If so and no appropriate boob is present you might be able to fake it by holding your kid close to your bare skin so that it feels your body heat+smell and starts sucking/looking for a boob, and then just present the bottle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

Boz0r posted:

Definitely give the windi a shot.

Fwiw, my 3 month old doesn’t eat a whole lot, she only eats about 60-90ml every 3 hours. The pediatrician was surprised with how little she eats of breast milk but is quickly moving up in the weight percentile (she was evicted from me 4 weeks early due to preeclampsia ... we jumped from 10th to 50th percentile). Don’t get hung up on the food numbers. I used to stress out about it until a nurse explained to me that mothers who breastfeed have no clue how much their baby is eating, what matters to them is weight gain. So if I pump and see she only ate 40ml, who’s to say that’s abnormal? You can’t measure what a baby actually ate directly from a breast. If she’s eating small amounts but still gaining weight, she’s still getting the proper nutrition. It was a load off my mind.

What is important is that he’s gaining weight. At his 4 month checkup, if he’s not gaining then it’s time to worry. If you really think it’s bad, weigh yourself at home. Then hold him and weigh, then subtract your weight. If he’s lost weight, call your pediatrician ASAP.

Also check his gums. My 3 month old is already teething. If she’s crying from hunger but won’t eat, I give her some Tylenol and wait a bit, then she accepts the bottle. Teething this early sucks because she’s not gotten the idea that she can hold things and bring them to her mouth to chew on when she wants to for relief. She does spend a lot of time watching her hands so she’s getting there :)