Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Theophany posted:

Jesus said "I will rebuild this temple in three days." I could make a compiler in 3 days.

and yet terry davis had to spend two years building it and another eight years updating it. loving shameful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

if you set the connection to metered i think it wont use it for updates

that is correct, and I did so as soon as I actually had uninterrupted access to the control panel, but the first login on a new windows machine has all kinds of poo poo you have to get through first

actually I have set it up to use just a percentage of available bandwidth for updates, because she's definitely not going to manually run windows update regularly

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

not even just the first login

i ran windows update on my rog ally last night and when i rebooted it started trying to get me to do one drive and ms cloud poo poo

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

my mother in law is just totally snowed by all the various technical poo poo she's having to cope with, the contractor installed a loving Ring doorbell and a smart thermostat and she has all new appliances etc. etc. and then here I am trying to patiently explain how there isn't just a windows login any more, she has a PIN (which isn't just a number) and then also a microsoft account, which she already has and which is linked to her sbcglobal.net email address, and so she can log in with one or the other depending ah god gently caress ok it also wants you to sign up for one drive, let's maybe not do that, skip, watch it spin for a while, oh the screen went dark so let's log in again, let it spin some more, oh yeah let's skip this next thing, and the next, and we're logged out again

she'd be a great candidate for "just use a mac" except she's never touched a mac in her life and it'd just be that much more confusing and also I have no idea how to set up or maintain one for her

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Zamujasa posted:

sms messages costing 25 cents each

to send and receive :pwn:

:3:

Leperflesh posted:

she'd be a great candidate for "just use a mac" except she's never touched a mac in her life and it'd just be that much more confusing and also I have no idea how to set up or maintain one for her

buy one for yourself, see how it all works, then give it to her

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I remember a buddy of mine got some sort of motorola feature phone back in the pre-smartphone era and it had threaded text messaging. that was MIND BLOWING

I didn’t text a ton, but every single message you received on my phone was an entire new message, there were no conversation threads.

phones sucked back in the day

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
macs are pretty brainless to run, make sure its logged into icloud, install browser of choice. set up mail dot app. time machine if you're feeling froggy. done.

theyre even nicer if you have an ~~~ apple ecosystem ~~~ in the house, but it's not necessary.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

suddenly remembered my first linux phone

motorola a780

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

a truly converged device offering the speed of EDGE technology coupled with the open, flexible environment of Java and Linux to deliver the ultimate handset for both work and play

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

macos is extremely easy to use. there is going to be like 1-2 weeks of some adjustment and then it just stops being confusing any even my extremely tech-challenged grandmother had it figured out

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I remember a buddy of mine got some sort of motorola feature phone back in the pre-smartphone era and it had threaded text messaging. that was MIND BLOWING

I didn’t text a ton, but every single message you received on my phone was an entire new message, there were no conversation threads.

when i got my first blackberry and it did that i saw the light and never went back.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Beve Stuscemi posted:

oh yeah, on most phones the interface for texting was more like email than chat. for a while one of the hot features of the Treo was it had a threaded text app. that plus the qwerty keyboard made for a pretty slick combo!

i had a treo 650 :smug:

and no texting plan :newlol:

in hindsight considering how i actually used my treo i probably would have been better off with a Zire and whatever was a half-decent but not too expensive flip phone back then.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

I'd even say an iPad if she already has an iPhone depending on whether or not she needs to do work on it. my grandma grew up with a party line and had zero problems emailing/facebooking/scrabbling after a week or two

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

correct. this is how I post so fast

lol

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

my dad is an enormous narcissist idiot who thinks he is a genius and he can use a mac so if your mom is at all sane i think she’ll be fine

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

theflyingexecutive posted:

I'd even say an iPad if she already has an iPhone depending on whether or not she needs to do work on it. my grandma grew up with a party line and had zero problems emailing/facebooking/scrabbling after a week or two

she bought an ipad ten years ago and never took it out of the packaging, we just recycled it

the woman absolutely freezes in the face of an unfamiliar UI, you guys are undoubtedly right if we could get her over that hump but let me put it this way it's taken us like eight years and probably a dozen demonstrations to get her to remember how to see the voicemail messages on her phone and be able to send a text message

she pays all her bills monthly, by phone

she is real mad at her condo association's new policy that they don't staff the office just to receive checks, because she doesn't want them to have her email address so she can sign up to pay online, and she also can't pay by phone, so now she's mailing a check in advance to whatever address they're using even though that costs an extra fee

she basically gets windows because she learned it 20 years ago, she can start a browser and get her email and open a word document and type in it and that's 100% of her computer needs so we picked up an inexpensive but reasonable lenovo at costco for like $600 and so that's what she's gonna have

e. when y'all are 78 you get to be just as obstinate as she is, she's earned it lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
just put a black shell on a macbook and tell her it's windows 12, it's what they're going to these days, it's better

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

e. when y'all are 78 you get to be just as obstinate as she is, she's earned it lol

correct and right.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Leperflesh posted:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

hell why wait

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
that explains why rotor's been cranky for the past ten

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

have you earned it?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

because if you haven't earned it, it's stolen

stolen obstination

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
as someone who regularly deals with older people with a passion for obstination, idk if I can get on board lol

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i hope when i am 78 i am a big ol linux greybeard but one of the pleasant, non rapey ones

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

how do you feel about foot crumbs vis-a-vis your daily intake thereof

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
i hope by the time I’m 78 I’m living in the woods with 3 dogs and without the internet

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Hillary Clinton never used a computer in her life, so she couldn’t understand the secure e-mail system that the State Department used.

the private email server that republicans are all :tinfoil: about was set up so she could send and receive e-mail on the Blackberry device that she was familiar with.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I just remembered that techbro who discovered that you can buy all the ingredients to make a sandwich at the supermarket, instead of going to a sandwich shop

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Silver Alicorn posted:

I just remembered that techbro who discovered that you can buy all the ingredients to make a sandwich at the supermarket, instead of going to a sandwich shop

i can’t believe this stuff isn’t patented. you can just buy salami????

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

a couple of years ago, my cousin's company had a summer intern who didn't know how coffee was made. they just assumed that it came out of the coffee pipe at starbucks or something like that

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

in fairness it does feel like the coffee industry really doesn't want you knowing that stuff sometimes, the beans section at my local supermarket is basically invisible unless you're looking for it between the instant stuff and pods for various machines

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

*being radicalized after walking into a local coffee shop that sells the means of production (pour-over filters)*

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

it's a skewed normal distribution, at one end people that think it's a coffee pipe and at the other end coffee wankers that won't shut up about how they hand grind thos beans

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
i grind the beans for my aeropress every morning it helps maximize bean smell which is the main way i know when daytime starts.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

aldi used to do an absolutely amazing instant coffee - great smell that filled a room and a deep rich taste. and then it disappeared and was replaced with jars of knockoff nescafe :(

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

maximize bean smell

saying this in the crysis suit voice

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sweevo posted:

aldi used to do an absolutely amazing instant coffee - great smell that filled a room and a deep rich taste. and then it disappeared and was replaced with jars of knockoff nescafe :(

more like nescrappe

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sweevo posted:

great smell that filled a room and a deep rich taste.

same but my farts

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

my wife came to see me in my home office to ask me something and as usual dropped horrendous farts and i had to put the fan on for two hours to clear the air

i alway yell at her to just drop them in the hallway or whatever. she is a domestic terrorist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
haha the ole battle axe am i rite