Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Warthur posted:

(The other opinion I regularly find myself coming around to when this topic comes up is that building an "industry" around a hobby with such a strong DIY ethos baked into it was, in the long run, a mistake, and claiming to people in need of money that you can earn a living out of freelance RPG writing is irresponsible unless you add so many caveats that anyone seeking to do freelance writing for survival rather than for fun would move to any other market, literally any other market at all, that they had the skills to coherently produce words in, and that "TG as an Industry" is synonymous with "TG as exploitation mechanism".)

Full time RPG writer Robin D Laws is definitely one of the only ones I have ever heard of, and he is pretty upfront that it is only possible because he is Canadian. Just having to purchase health insurance like an American would knock him out of the industry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Song of Swords was initially built on people who loved the weird overly complex system. The kickstarter was to help it go from a pdf using nothing but public domain images to a real book.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I picked up the Song of Swords RPG blind a while back and it is one of the best looking books I have seen in a long time. The whole setting is original and interesting, and the incredible production values made me definitely think it was worth my 20 bucks for the pdf.

However, much like 7th Sea, these incredible visuals were married to an deeply flawed system. I got to the combat section and my eyes just glazed over. For me, the game is way too complex to ever actually play. I don't know if I will buy any future books (I may, sure) but I can't imagine any community of people actually playing it. So that is bound to hurts sales.

If the sales drop once the things the Kickstarter paid for come out, will the game line vanish or will they just slash production value?
No community around your game is the killer, particularly these days where if there's no community pushing your game, the odds of there being any significant Actual Play videos out there of it is negligible, and it's stuff like that which seems to be bringing games to the attention to new audiences these days. Look at what happened when Critical Role did a one-off Call of Cthulhu episode: orders of the Starter Set spiked so sharply that their warehousing and fulfillment people couldn't keep up with demand, to an extent where Chaosium have been handing out money-off vouchers and doing damage control.

One video from a popular troupe - provided that they give the game a good showing rather than razzing on it - is all that it takes to make your sales go from "respectable" to "so good it's actually disruptive and causing us logistical problems" - even for a game which is as long-available and well-known as CoC, which is one of those games where if you aren't into RPGs at all you'll likely not have heard of it, but if you do get into RPGs and spend even a brief amount of time looking around at what's available in the field beyond D&D and Pathfinder, CoC will be one of the first games you spot. That being the case, why would you ever design a game these days with a complex, fiddly system unless you've found some genius way to make rolling on chart 3.21: Critical Hits From Cooking Implements look super-photogenic and really exciting in a YouTube video or on podcast audio?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Warthur posted:

(The other opinion I regularly find myself coming around to when this topic comes up is that building an "industry" around a hobby with such a strong DIY ethos baked into it was, in the long run, a mistake, and claiming to people in need of money that you can earn a living out of freelance RPG writing is irresponsible unless you add so many caveats that anyone seeking to do freelance writing for survival rather than for fun would move to any other market, literally any other market at all, that they had the skills to coherently produce words in, and that "TG as an Industry" is synonymous with "TG as exploitation mechanism" outside of self-publication.)

Yeah. "If you can make it here, you can do a lot better for yourself using those skills in several different career paths"

It's not just other games that RPGs are competing with. It's all entertainment products, including movies, tv, comic books, video games, huffing gasoline, or music.
Those categories all have a LOT of content, and a lot of that content is free or nearly free (paying the price of a movie ticket to watch an entire month of Netflix counts as nearly free to me). Despite that, people are willing to pay for quality stuff in each of those categories.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
https://twitter.com/DungeonCommandr/status/1177624732952231941

I'd like to see these projects paying 20 cents a word. Can anyone remember seeing these on KS?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

One thing I wonder is what is the average word count of a substantial rpg book like let's say a World of Darkness corebook? They are pretty hefty and well established enough that they should pay better than average, as it should have sales enough to pay decently if any company can.

Really, I would like to know what would be the cost to produce the writing for something of that scale. Obviously art, layout, and so on increase the production costs more but I just want to know what 10 cents a word really means.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

clockworkjoe posted:

https://twitter.com/DungeonCommandr/status/1177624732952231941

I'd like to see these projects paying 20 cents a word. Can anyone remember seeing these on KS?

Probably one of the indie Kickstarters that have no stretch goals except for "we'll pay the writers more."

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Lord_Hambrose posted:

One thing I wonder is what is the average word count of a substantial rpg book like let's say a World of Darkness corebook? They are pretty hefty and well established enough that they should pay better than average, as it should have sales enough to pay decently if any company can.

Really, I would like to know what would be the cost to produce the writing for something of that scale. Obviously art, layout, and so on increase the production costs more but I just want to know what 10 cents a word really means.

As a rough guide, typical 8.5x11 pages are about 800-1000 words. Stuff like Evil Hat's books are about 500 per page.

So at 21 cents a 100-page thinsplat supplement for a game would cost about $20,000 just for writers.

Stuff like a CoD core are in the realm of 250k words. So you're looking at ~$50,000 for a core book.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Sep 27, 2019

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Leperflesh posted:

"Give writers 21 cents a word" has to be tied to a movement in which the market also decides "pay $80 for game books and don't pay anything less even if the author(s) are trying to charge less" and let's see how that works out

Prevailing wages that aren't enforced by the government*, will fall to whatever the labor willing to take the lowest amount of pay for their work happens to lie. And for RPGs, that's zero cents per word.

Nobody has ever succeeded at raising wages by appealing to an unregulated labor market to please be nicer to the workers, for charity.

*this includes the right to organize, which is protected and enforced by the government

Is there anywhere that tracks book MSRP over time?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

That Old Tree posted:

Stuff like a CoD core are in the realm of 250k words. So you're looking at ~$50,000 for a core book.

As a point of reference, Dave Brookshaw mentioned getting less than 7 cents per word on past OP projects last time this came up, too, so you can estimate the difference in price there.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
If it's any consolation, the artists are being paid garbage too.

Wait, that doesn't make anyone feel better

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

Lemon-Lime posted:

Probably one of the indie Kickstarters that have no stretch goals except for "we'll pay the writers more."

Such as? My theory is these indie games have low word counts. A traditional RPG with 100k+ words is a different ballgame.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

canyoneer posted:

If it's any consolation, the artists are being paid garbage too.

Wait, that doesn't make anyone feel better

Yeah. As I mentioned elsewhere, paying everybody something significantly closer to what they're actually worth means small books easily cost over $30,000 just to develop, and stuff like a CoD core would start getting respectably close to $100k.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Yeah, I kind of feel like requesting royalties might be more realistic.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It's also kind of wrong-headed to begin with because they're not writing stories, they're creating game mechanics.

It's equivalent to paying musicians by the yard of tape recorded, or closer to paying programmers by the line.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

So that 250k word main rpg book is now spending 25k on writing.

If it hasn't jumped to the 'not there yet but is coming' $60, then it's still at $50 for the book.

3k sales is pretty good for an indie rpg book in the first year, so at the 40% margin for publishers, out of the $60k income, you've spent $25k on writing.

Without going into all the details on art, editing, layout, shipping, printing etc. You've just lost money. Maybe, maybe you broke even or made a tiny profit if you lucked out with pdf sales, or it was pdf only and you somehow did huge numbers without an upfront kickstarter. But more likely you lost money.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

moths posted:

It's also kind of wrong-headed to begin with because they're not writing stories, they're creating game mechanics.

It's equivalent to paying musicians by the yard of tape recorded, or closer to paying programmers by the line.

Yup.

People working real jobs get paid either hourly or salaried.

Here in silicon valley some companies are obsessed with metrics, and I've heard a few, perhaps apocryphally, made the extreme error of tying performance metrics to job reviews and then measuring programmer performance in terms of lines of code produced.

One of the core aspects of my writing job is to take my first draft and then brutally slash down the length, cutting absolutely as much as I possibly can while still retaining the essential parts. Because wordiness wastes the customer's time and deters the reader from engaging at all.

Obviously this isn't the key metric when writing a novel, although I'm sure there is some relationship between how fat that hardback novel is and how much you can get away with charging for it. But RPG books are a marriage of entertainment fiction and rules documentation, and at least with the latter part, brevity is to be encouraged. Paying someone more money to write bloated rules is stupid. Tying your rules-writers' compensation to how many words it takes them to explain how a mechanic works is stupid.

Of course what actually happens is the content owner decides in advance how many pages of content will be there for X part of the rules, and then the writer is told to write exactly that many words, so they're not actually being given the opportunity to double their pay by padding the rules out... but they are disincentivizing those writers from finding ways to come in under budget wordwise. And that's maybe not a super smart way to go.

If you can't or won't trust writers to work hourly and still produce what you want, then royalties may be a way to go, because then at least you're not actively disincentivizing efficiency, although you're still not really incentivizing it either.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

My experience with the contracts is that it's not actually paid by the word. Like if you turn in slightly more words or slightly less words your payout doesn't change. It's 'this is your planned wordcount, and this is the amount we would like to pay you' and the 'by the word' thing is the relationship between the two.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Mors Rattus posted:

My experience with the contracts is that it's not actually paid by the word. Like if you turn in slightly more words or slightly less words your payout doesn't change. It's 'this is your planned wordcount, and this is the amount we would like to pay you' and the 'by the word' thing is the relationship between the two.

The problem is, that the 'roughly 600 words per page' metric breaks down when you do something different.

So all those books of tables, have dramatically lower word counts. Likewise bump up the amount of art from the 90s 3.X period '1 1/4 page piece every 3.5 pages, plus inline art' and the wordcount changes.

Back in the OSR 3.x days, companies had their standard expectations. A new class meant Y pages and Z art (mostly one piece of art, a bunch of text and a chart), same with a prestige class, and so on. It was standardised.

So yes, the 'we're paying you X amount for 8k words on Z' is the case, but that 8k words on Z can widely differ on the effort, and pages in a book, depending on the system.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

That Old Tree posted:

Yeah. As I mentioned elsewhere, paying everybody something significantly closer to what they're actually worth means small books easily cost over $30,000 just to develop, and stuff like a CoD core would start getting respectably close to $100k.

Stuff like a CoD core routinely triples this on kickstarter alone. Small press is one thing. The bigger players pretending they're small press to keep rates low is quite another.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

canyoneer posted:

It's a race to the bottom in pricing the product. It's unsurprising that they pay the writers like crap too.

I think the industry as a whole is undervaluing their creative work via pricing too low.

There are a ton of people who want to be in the industry, and honestly the bar to entry quality of work wise is really, really low.

I mean look at Jason Hardy. He got handed a decade as Line Developer on Shadowrun with zero prior credits in a similar role, zero game design experience, and zero management experience of any kind. With predictable results, but he'll keep the job forever because nobody competent would do it for what they pay him (and put up with CGL keeping the guy that embezzled a year's worth of their income on staff after they tried to not pay writers and artists to make up the difference).

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Sep 28, 2019

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Justin Achilli with a short thread on working at White Wolf.

https://twitter.com/jachilli/status/1177740832251756545?s=19

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Pope Guilty posted:

Justin Achilli with a short thread on working at White Wolf.

The thread ends on this as an offhand comment, however, which seems the far more relevant and interesting detail to expand on.

https://twitter.com/jachilli/status/1177744220871942145

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

And this last bit is just funny thinking of how Martin let a whole clan name get away from them.

https://twitter.com/jachilli/status/1177770706928619520

MachineIV
Feb 28, 2017

Nuns with Guns posted:

As a point of reference, Dave Brookshaw mentioned getting less than 7 cents per word on past OP projects last time this came up, too, so you can estimate the difference in price there.

When I started with White Wolf/CCP, I was making 3 cents per word. Nine years and 2 million words later, I was making 4.5 cents.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
doesn't paying people by the word create a perverse incentive to write excessively volubly?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

gradenko_2000 posted:

doesn't paying people by the word create a perverse incentive to write excessively volubly?

But also choppily, since you're dealing with physical space limitations. Why put down a "humongous" when you'll be paid twice as much for "real big"?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

MachineIV posted:

When I started with White Wolf/CCP, I was making 3 cents per word. Nine years and 2 million words later, I was making 4.5 cents.

:catstare: Burn this dumb hobby to the ground

gradenko_2000 posted:

Well I mean if there's one thing tabletop RPGs rulebooks are known for, it's concise, efficient writing styles

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

gradenko_2000 posted:

In fiction publishing this isn't really a problem. Generally you also say how long a work you're buying. Alternatively, hire an editor, cut the cruft out, and then knock a penny a word off of their rate because it needed so much work.

Mostly it's only a big deal in situations where many writers are working on one project largely independently of one another--say, in an anthology. Any core rulebook is either going to have the writers working together too much to clearly break it up it by page, or is going to be super poo poo (Shadowrun 6e) and then the way people get paid isn't going to be any better than the rest of the project.

In the few situations where you're paying by the word in a larger work, you also select the length of the material purchased based on the writers. The Year's Best Science Fiction, for example, paid each writer a percentage of the royalties based on the percentage of the words in the book their story made up. Yes, this meant that George R. R. Martin's giant pile of words meant he was getting paid five times as much as nearly anyone else, but honestly, him being in the anthology probably sold more copies than anyone else did. As long as the editor in charge of the project is putting in more thought than just, "Grab twenty random stories from the slush pile and let's go to print," no one's going to have an opportunity to fluff their payouts by writing badly.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
In my experience RPGs usually set a word count too (e.g. "we'd like a couple pages on X, our book has 750 words per page, give us 1500 words".) Don't know many folks in this industry who'd change your pay post-editing though.

MachineIV
Feb 28, 2017

gradenko_2000 posted:

Correct. It also disincentivizes playtesting and iterative design.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

MachineIV posted:

Correct. It also disincentivizes playtesting and iterative design.

Yes, but also not really.

You shouldn't be farming out freelance work until you have a working mechanical skeleton tested and ready to flesh out. Otherwise you get Shadowrun again, where both of the last two editions skipped this and got entire subsections written by freelancers with different rules conceptions.

The person who should have caught that, the line developer, did not.

MachineIV
Feb 28, 2017

Liquid Communism posted:

Yes, but also not really.

You shouldn't be farming out freelance work until you have a working mechanical skeleton tested and ready to flesh out. Otherwise you get Shadowrun again, where both of the last two editions skipped this and got entire subsections written by freelancers with different rules conceptions.

The person who should have caught that, the line developer, did not.

Should. But, should isn't really the standard in my experience. Shadowrun was an egregious example. Beast is another great example. But the industry's got a ton of them, some better than others.

And in a lot of cases, there's a sort of unofficial expectation that freelancers participate in that work even before it gets to writing assignments. I know for Vampire the Requiem 2nd Edition, there were hundreds of emails across numerous threads which ultimately turned into the final product's direction and design. While I ended up writing about 30% of the book, there were people who contributed tons to those email discussions but maybe ended up writing (and getting paid for) like 5,000 words of the final product.

DressCodeBlue
Jun 15, 2006

Professional zombie impersonator.
Another bit of chiming in: I've just worked with one super tiny company and only on fluff, but how things went was they gave me a brief description of what they wanted and a word count range and then paid the same regardless of the final count. And it usually worked out to between 8 and 10 centers per word.

The fact that established publishers are paying less than what I made when I first started at a content mill is kind of wild. :psyduck:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I think I've shared this story before but years and years ago someone on RPGnet (absolutely nobody famous that I'm aware) messaged me to see if I'd be interested in writing for some gaming website/blog of theirs, and when I asked how much I could expect to be compensated they told me they could afford to pay $0.01 a word. Even as a younger and in many ways much dumber version of myself, I knew a raw deal when I saw it.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

MachineIV posted:

Should. But, should isn't really the standard in my experience. Shadowrun was an egregious example. Beast is another great example. But the industry's got a ton of them, some better than others.

And in a lot of cases, there's a sort of unofficial expectation that freelancers participate in that work even before it gets to writing assignments. I know for Vampire the Requiem 2nd Edition, there were hundreds of emails across numerous threads which ultimately turned into the final product's direction and design. While I ended up writing about 30% of the book, there were people who contributed tons to those email discussions but maybe ended up writing (and getting paid for) like 5,000 words of the final product.

Which led to some of us asking for such pre-work to be paid, getting told no, and then things like Deviant taking much longer because all those direction and design decisions had to be made by one person before anyone else was hired.

Having a proper mechanical skeleton is *important*. The bible is the most vital stage of a new game - if you’re on a big trad corebook and your writing assignment doesn’t come with several pages outlining what will be your mechanics in bulletpoints, the game is being rushed and you should be wary.

MachineIV
Feb 28, 2017

Dave Brookshaw posted:

...all those direction and design decisions had to be made by one person before anyone else was hired.

Have they started compensating for that workload? Because gently caress if I didn't see the work you did on Mage 2E. Utterly ridiculous amount of work. It was better for it, but you were paid identically (actually less maybe?) to Requiem 2E's development.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Nuns with Guns posted:

I get paid around 1c / word when Developing, 6c / word when writing, so I typically try to write things like introductions (which are often repurposed and reedited from design bibles - fun factoid, there. It's not plagarism if you wrote it your drat self for that same book, but it *would* be if a freelancer spat my own bible back at me) and the inevitable core Storytelling system myself.

The biggest pay-bump, which has had a tangible effect on my finances, has been the pound crashing due to Brexit. A thousand dollars for a book is worth nearly £250 more now.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

MachineIV posted:

Have they started compensating for that workload? Because gently caress if I didn't see the work you did on Mage 2E. Utterly ridiculous amount of work. It was better for it, but you were paid identically (actually less maybe?) to Requiem 2E's development.

No. It's just part of the developer's job - I did *more* for Deviant, because my growing awareness of the industry (and things like Exalted collaborators being strung along then never actually being given contracts) made me unwilling to ask anyone to help spitball it without compensation. So no big email list like we had on Mage.

I tell ya, the next game I design, I'm going to drat well own myself and not do for hire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Ettin posted:

In my experience RPGs usually set a word count too (e.g. "we'd like a couple pages on X, our book has 750 words per page, give us 1500 words".) Don't know many folks in this industry who'd change your pay post-editing though.

Siembieda?